• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Zalusithix

One thing that should be obvious but I haven't actually looked into:

For games that aren't VR enabled, but you can play in 3D - such as Arkham City

Can I just switch that 3d setting on and play with my Vive, or is it likely to be more complicated than that?

I assume you mean on a virtual 3D TV in the virtual cinema mode? No idea, but that would theoretically be possible. It'd be more involved than traditional 2D games because you'd have to take 2 frames from the game and alternate the texture on the virtual screen between right and left eye rendering. Not sure if they'll bother to put in the extra work required.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I was watching those treadmill videos and i was wondering if there's any videos or discussion of research and experimenting with just walking in place using the natural swinging of your arms holding motion controls for locomotion.

If a combination of holding two buttons and swinging your arms slightly like walking in place set your locomotion direction then letting your look in an independent direction after the motion direction is set, it would be kinda tank controls steering but would allow you to explore game spaces in first person without teleporting.

I would think a pointing down slow swing while holding buttons would do the walking like this
yike8L9eT.gif

and with your arms bent higher more 90degrees and the controllers raised to vertical it could simulate running motion.

then when you release the buttons and stop arm motion you would return to room scale movement.
It wouldn't help with twitch shooters where your running and gunning,i was thinking more the exploration/rpg/adventure games.

Anyways I find the whole thing fascinating and am really curious how they overcome the motion sickness for FP non cockpit movment

Metal B

I had a similar idea and was question the fact in this thread, if working in place actually has an big effect of neutralizing motion sickness. Without it, there is no point in looking deeper into this solution.

Are there going to be any of the free tech demos available to show this thing off? I have some people I want to show but they're not gamers so putting a controller in their hands might not work out for them. Thinking like the roller coaster demo or whatever else

One thing that should be obvious but I haven't actually looked into:

For games that aren't VR enabled, but you can play in 3D - such as Arkham City

Can I just switch that 3d setting on and play with my Vive, or is it likely to be more complicated than that?

That's a p good question regarding the theater mode

Didn't that Minecraft preview mention that the no vomit version was in 3d in the theater mode? Might still be something to program, though. Hmm

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can't wait to 3D trace a real object in Tilt Brush, like a chair, and then sit on it.

Sorry, just a thought.

I was just making squiggly lines in tiltbrush, but as I moved around to draw some more, I ducked to avoid bumping into one of the line I'd drawn :)

Zalusithix

I was just making squiggly lines in tiltbrush, but as I moved around to draw some more, I ducked to avoid bumping into one of the line I'd drawn :)

Devs have mentioned this a number of times. The mind really doesn't want to allow you to clip through something. Even though nothing in the VR world is real and you can clip through it with ease, practically speaking, your body treats it all as if it was solid. So virtual boundaries are about as good as physical ones.

Mikeside

Yes, and it is glorious

http://www.vorpx.com/

Hopefully they'll get vorpx working, but I just mean non-HMD enabled 3d, so for games that work in 3d but for some reason can't get full VR support, we could still use our headsets to at least get a 3d experience, if not a VR one.

That's a p good question regarding the theater mode

Didn't that Minecraft preview mention that the no vomit version was in 3d in the theater mode? Might still be something to program, though. Hmm

Is there anybody here with a Vive-Pre that can answer the question?

I think Arkham City and Tomb Raider 2013 both work well in 3D (at least I played both on my friend's Sony 3D headset a few years ago), so should be easy to test.

Durante

Yep - in many ways - it's like a blank slate for game design, especially when you're designing for tracked controllers.
Yeah, that might be the most exciting thing about it.

I can't wait to 3D trace a real object in Tilt Brush, like a chair, and then sit on it.

Sorry, just a thought.
That's a great thought though.

(Until someone pulls the real world chair out under you :p)

Yeah, but some nausea resistant people can use it and I guess it's pretty nice in that case, being able to explore the huge worlds of traditional games in VR.

I'd really like to try it. I don't want to play through the games (that sounds like a nightmare), I just want to be in those worlds and maybe walk around the environments. Would roomscale on the Vive work with vorpX?

[EDIT] Looking at the vorpX forums, it seems the Vive is not yet supported.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Wouldn't that result in 99% of the games making you nauseous?

Is vorpx better than it used to be? I always liked the idea, if only to be in some game worlds I love (Bioshock's Rapture for example), but it always seemed too janky to be worth it. How well does positional tracking work with it?

It depends on the game.

I've used it for a lot of FPS. GTA5 was pretty awesome. Dishonored was good. Borderlands I just couldn't get things configured properly. A lot of the problem is tweaking settings until you get it working right.

I don't really get sick in VR so I can't really comment on that. The most uncomfortable I've ever been in VR is Doom 3 when I would hit a cinematic that just started snapping the camera view around the room. I would just have to close my eyes because it made my brain hurt.

Paganmoon

Yeah, but some nausea resistant people can use it and I guess it's pretty nice in that case, being able to explore the huge worlds of traditional games in VR.

I'd really like to try it. I don't want to play through the games (that sounds like a nightmare), I just want to be in those worlds and maybe walk around the environments. Would roomscale on the Vive work with vorpX?

[EDIT] Looking at the vorpX forums, it seems the Vive is not yet supported.

Yeah, I'd imagine it'd be great just looking around, not necessarily playing the game. Hmm, that does sound really good actually.

Onemic

It depends on the game.

I've used it for a lot of FPS. GTA5 was pretty awesome. Dishonored was good. Borderlands I just couldn't get things configured properly. A lot of the problem is tweaking settings until you get it working right.

I don't really get sick in VR so I can't really comment on that. The most uncomfortable I've ever been in VR is Doom 3 when I would hit a cinematic that just started snapping the camera view around the room. I would just have to close my eyes because it made my brain hurt.

Have you played Skyrim or the Witcher in VR? And in GTA5 did you play in third person or first person?

Zalusithix

Does everyone's Vive order say the same thing about starting to ship in April?

No. Mine was originally May when I ordered (9th), but now it's blank. I'm not sure if that's a sign that it's being moved back or forward, or just a glitch in their system.

pj

Banned
Actually, that video mentions that the new PSVR doesn't leak light.

Hopefully this link goes to about the right spot (1:41:48 they are talking about the PSVR ergonomics):
https://youtu.be/3pU5el97Rcg?t=6108

The PSVR leaks light at the bottom by design. I forgot which video it was, but they said it was so people can see the cord and if the experience gets too intense and they need a break. Something along those lines

I ordered 30 minutes after pre-orders went up. Will I be getting my Vive in first shipment? ;-;

Thats all I wanna know

Apparently not. I've seen people on Reddit mention that you can email HTC support, and they will tell you what wave you are in. A guy that ordered 13 minutes after sales started said the HTC rep told him he is in the second April wave. I'm in the same boat as you; ordered 30 minutes late due to the fact I was traveling to work at the time.

dumbo

The PSVR leaks light at the bottom by design. I forgot which video it was, but they said it was so people can see the cord and if the experience gets too intense and they need a break. Something along those lines

That's weird - the guy in the video explicitly states that when he first tested the PSVR headset it did leak light (as you say), but that at the latest demo the design has changed so that it does not leak light (a rubber thing is involved).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Apparently not. I've seen people on Reddit mention that you can email HTC support, and they will tell you what wave you are in. A guy that ordered 13 minutes after sales started said the HTC rep told him he is in the second April wave. I'm in the same boat as you; ordered 30 minutes late due to the fact I was traveling to work at the time.

i might do this. if i'm not in the first wave then i might consider ordering from PC World and saving on the postage

Onemic

Yes, I was playing Project Cars on my DK2 and crashed going almost 200mph and it was terrifying

How good is project cars anyway? I already have one cockpit game(Elite Dangerous) but no racing games.

That being said, I really hope the next Gran Turismo has PSVR support.

Onemic

Yup. Don't forget heights. People are going to get terrified of plummeting to their death while standing in the middle of their living room...

Does this really happen? Im scared of heights, but I really dont see how I can convince myself that im on top of a huge mountain in VR or that Im falling off a building, or that Im about to be in a head on collision with another vehicle. It all seems too good to be true.

Wallach

Yup. Don't forget heights. People are going to get terrified of plummeting to their death while standing in the middle of their living room...

I'm looking forward to a lot of people playing Windlands for the first time. That game is a trip as one of your first VR experiences.

I just spoke to HTC and apparently they are shipping first wave 1st April!

Zalusithix

Does this really happen? Im scared of heights, but I really dont see how I can convince myself that im on top of a huge mountain in VR or that Im falling off a building, or that Im about to be in a head on collision with another vehicle. It all seems too good to be true.

It's hard to fight natural reactions. You know everything is fake, but at the same time your mind will want to stop you from walking through a virtual object. Heights are the same thing. People "know" they're not actually walking a tightrope or whatnot, but the brain doesn't turn off its warning signals so easily.

Onemic

Im actually hoping that mine ships towards the end of May so that I'll get mine either immediately before or after(the ideal scenario) pascal releases.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3019...eights-and-nearly-brought-me-to-my-knees.html

Google "Everest VR demo" and be flooded with articles of journalists not only scared by the demo, but scared beyond even being able to finish

Got a question:

Is it idiotic to buy a Playstation VR (which is 500 bucks bundled) when I have a computer capable of running an Oculus?

Edit: I really wish I had an easy way of trying VR right now.

Krejlooc

Banned
Got a question:

Is it idiotic to buy a Playstation VR (which is 500 bucks bundled) when I have a computer capable of running an Oculus?

For $100 more, you'd get a significantly better experience with the rift. If you're in for a dime, you're in for a dollar, IMO.

Afrikan

Got a question:

Nothing wrong with pre-ordering it and changing your mind later if need be.

But if you have a powerful PC, I would get a Vive or Oculus for now.... why the fuck not, make use of your RIG.

Zalusithix

Got a question:

Depends on the games really. Too early on right now to say whether it would be a good or bad move on that front.

Lazybob

Neo Member
Got a question:

Not really. I mean I want an oculus more then psvr since it's a better headset but PSVR is getting some cool exclusive stuff like Rigs and Grab turismo sport. If your more excited for stuff that's on both I'd get the oculus.

Sky Chief

Mentally and physically. It's only a matter of time before somebody does something to injure themselves and sues. I'm sure there's already lawyers chomping at the bit for the first case. =/

I can't find it now but saw a discussion some months ago between VR devs about the ethics of scaring people in VR. They seemed to all believe that it's not a matter of if but when a VR experience gives someone a heart attack or something and they die and the shit storm this will lead to in the media.

How good is project cars anyway? I already have one cockpit game(Elite Dangerous) but no racing games.

That being said, I really hope the next Gran Turismo has PSVR support.

When it was first released it was amazing on DK2 despite limited support (had to navigate menus and start race on monitor and then quickly put on headset as the race started). Seriously, some of the most fun I could remember having while gaming. Then in subsequent updates they completely borked VR and then in more recent updates it works again but runs like shit. I'm hoping the new version for Oculus will bring it back to the glory days and also make it so that you can access all the menus and everything in VR.

Arttemis

As much as I really want a PSVR, this video demonstrates why I likely won't be getting it unless there's a redesign and integration into the PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfoyT9bKvpg
(demonstrates all the cables required to run PSVR via a video schematic)

Rerouting all the wires would be a logistical nightmare in my living room. The way it's designed, I think I'd have to have a second PS4 so I could put one in a smaller room where the wire arrangement wouldn't be so challenging.

Compsiox

Banned

I'm going to chat with a rep later. I'm going to cry if so.

Top Bottom