• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Krejlooc

Banned
There was a photo posted recently of some short cables with Oculus and it turned out they were dev units which are shorter than the final version which is 4 meters. I'm terrible at determining distances in videos. Does that cable seem 4 meters? I know in some of the videos that came out of that event the headsets had dev language on them.

No, that cable seems shorter than 4 meters. 4 meters is about 13 feet. So like twice the height of an average man.

Anyways does anyone have any ideas for storing/hanging headsets or controllers? I'm thinking of getting a hook of some sort for the straps and the vive controllers. I've seen people say not to bother with mannequin heads or stands as it will ruin the face cushion part.

The virtuix boom stand comes with a hook to hang your headset on. That's where I've been hanging my headsets when I don't use them.

Monger

There was a photo posted recently of some short cables with Oculus and it turned out they were dev units which are shorter than the final version which is 4 meters. I'm terrible at determining distances in videos. Does that cable seem 4 meters? I know in some of the videos that came out of that event the headsets had dev language on them.

Anyways does anyone have any ideas for storing/hanging headsets or controllers? I'm thinking of getting a hook of some sort for the straps and the vive controllers. I've seen people say not to bother with mannequin heads or stands as it will ruin the face cushion part.

Looks shorter. Maybe 8 or 10 feet, but it has to wrap around the desk they're using. I'm terrible at it too though and I always think the cable looks shorter than it measures. Probably should have put an extension cable on regardless to save the poor girl.

Cartman86

Banned
No, that cable seems shorter than 4 meters. 4 meters is about 13 feet. So like twice the height of an average man.

The virtuix boom stand comes with a hook to hang your headset on. That's where I've been hanging my headsets when I don't use them.

The footprint of that will be too great. Looking for something really lo-fi. Like this. Probably not literally that, but something I can attach to a bookshelf.

Wallach

Could just use a headphone stand and hang it by the back strap, I imagine.

tr00per

Rock Band Video with a personal cable attendant. Reminds me of the old Vive demos, but looks even more ridiculous with the short cable. It's kind of hilariously awkward watching her dodge the guitar.

Thanks for posting this. I was curious how rock band vr would tackle the note Highways.

For what it's worth, I tried psvr in both dark and light environments. With the old and new versions and I didn't really notice light leaking. Granted I wasn't looking for it and I didn't spend a LOT of time with it but from what I understand you can push it up against your face if you want to but sony talks about having the gap for airflow and reducing pressure on the face (doesn't leave marks)

Cartman86

Banned
It's a boom mic stand. The foot print is like 8" x 8", and it can fold down into something really small.

I would need two though for the Vive and Oculus. My only real option considering all the other crap i've got hanging around my safe computer space is to hang them from a shelf or wall and some sort of hook is what i'm looking for for that. Just not sure what size of hook would work with the straps.

Durante

There are a good number of games that just don't go beyond a certain size room. I believe there is only one on Steam right now that uses 3mx3m. Most have a lower recommended size (2mx1.5m is the most common) and all of the required gameplay takes place in that space.
Yeah, I had a look at the recommended sizes for all I could find before starting to plan my layout.

As you say, the most common is the minimum of 2 m x 1.5 m, then there are a few which go for a more square ~2x2 footprint, 2 or 3 which go up to 2.5x2, and only a single one suggesting 3x3. The latter is Water Bears VR funnily enough.

I'm happy that I can basically barely squeeze all of that in, but losing that final 0.5 m in one direction wouldn't hurt much I think.

That being said you will never be satisfied with the room you have :(
That's probably true. I already have this plan -- or it's probably not ready to be called a plan, more like a "vision" -- of a 5x5+ temporary VR area setup outside in the summer :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I feel bad that I'm considering flipping my OR to pay for my vive? They are giving me one as a reward for backing them, and I know they're a big company that got billions of dollars from Facebook so it's silly to feel this way.

I'm also stupid in that I tend to not take advantage of scalper prices, preferring to pass things on to someone that'll appreciate it at cost. But this time I'll need it to cover the vive costs so I'll have to scalp a little bit. The little devil sitting in my right shoulder is whispering that if prices get silly because of the insane wait times for June/July, I might even be able to upgrade my GPU.

I feel bad that I'm considering flipping my OR to pay for my vive? They are giving me one as a reward for backing them, and I know they're a big company that got billions of dollars from Facebook so it's silly to feel this way.

I'm also stupid in that I tend to not take advantage of scalper prices, preferring to pass things on to someone that'll appreciate it at cost. But this time I'll need it to cover the vive costs so I'll have to scalp a little bit. The little devil sitting in my right shoulder is whispering that if prices get silly because of the insane wait times for June/July, I might even be able to upgrade my GPU.
It's your money to spend. You shouldn't feel bad about any move you make.

Durante

I have been actively considering flipping my backer reward CV1 to feel less guilty about spending money on both a Vive and a hefty GPU upgrade this year.

But I'll probably not do it in the end. I like the idea of, decades from now, having this shelf with DK1 #58, DK2, CV1, Vive, and everything else coming up sitting there for me to consider how far we have come (when I plug into the matrix).

... of course, unlike, say, DK1, CV1 will probably be sold in numbers which allow it to deprecate in price like a normal consumer product so I could always rebuy one later. Decisions decisions. If I can really get more for it than the retail price I might just do it after all.

artsi

I'd pay the UK Vive price to get it early April instead of my May date :p

But not the crazy eBay prices unfortunately, so better sell it there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd pay the UK Vive price to get it early April instead of my May date :p

But not the crazy eBay prices unfortunately, so better sell it there.

Maybe I can find someone planning to upgrade to pascal that'll swap my 970 for their 980ti plus the price of a vive :)

I'm sitting in my living room reading these posts and just figuring out how it'd be ideal for vive. If it wasn't for those other pesky people that live here. "Sorry dear, you stay on the sofa while I push it against the back wall - can you hold your tea because the coffee table is going over there. If you need something call me on my mobile as I can't hear you otherwise. Sorry, am I blocking the Tv?"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, I had a look at the recommended sizes for all I could find before starting to plan my layout.

As you say, the most common is the minimum of 2 m x 1.5 m, then there are a few which go for a more square ~2x2 footprint, 2 or 3 which go up to 2.5x2, and only a single one suggesting 3x3. The latter is Water Bears VR funnily enough.

I'm happy that I can basically barely squeeze all of that in, but losing that final 0.5 m in one direction wouldn't hurt much I think.

That's probably true. I already have this plan -- or it's probably not ready to be called a plan, more like a "vision" -- of a 5x5+ temporary VR area setup outside in the summer :p

Are devs factoring in arm span with those sizes? 2x3 would be almost doable for me but my arm span is already 170cm so you can barely move in that space

Durante

Are devs factoring in arm span with those sizes? 2x3 would be almost doable for me but my arm span is already 170cm so you can barely move in that space
I would assume they are, it would be strange to provide a minimum spec for space and not take that into account. I think the idea is always to have a rectangular prism with the given rectangle, and all interaction can be performed within that.

This fucking infuriates me.
Light coming in through the bottom almost ruined their 2011 HMZ movie headset, luckily they included rubber light blockers that just about worked if you could keep them attached.

Now i read that the hardware designer of the PSVR purposely put in the gap below so people don't trip over things, which is utter bullshit.
I want *total* isolation. And trust me when i say that putting a blanket or something over your head does NOT work, it quickly steams up the lenses.

This might help - http://vrcover.com

Vanishing Realms sounds like something special, great demo impressions here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...elda-crafted-by-a-valve-veteran/#7bb814933547

This part in particular got me good:

It’s fascinating how meaningful a staple gameplay mechanic like health recovery can feel in VR. You’re walking up to that apple, physically and deliberately plucking it off some barrel or surface, and dropping it into your sack. It really gives the simplest action true weight. And yep, there were giant pots to break scattered around. I felt just like Link.

Also had no idea about the dev's background, no wonder Valve people are praising it so much:

Who’s Kelly Bailey? Pretty much the 5th employee Valve ever hired. He was the man behind the music and sound effects in Half-Life and Half-Life 2, and designed several of the series’ most important moments such as the test chamber disaster sequence that opened Half-Life. Oh, and Gordon Freeman’s face was based on him.

So yeah, this is one to look out for. Extremely tempted to sell my CV1 for a Vive. Good gravy has the hype got me o_o

Caayn

This fucking infuriates me.
Light coming in through the bottom almost ruined their 2011 HMZ movie headset, luckily they included rubber light blockers that just about worked if you could keep them attached.

Now i read that the hardware designer of the PSVR purposely put in the gap below so people don't trip over things, which is utter bullshit.
I want *total* isolation. And trust me when i say that putting a blanket or something over your head does NOT work, it quickly steams up the lenses.
Wait, is that true? That's doesn't seem logical. "Let's create a device that can immerse the player in the game world, but at the same time let light from the outside world leak into it destroying the immersion."

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just had a demo of the vive - a few retailers in the UK started doing them, so I drove to PC world in Reading. They have a separate room at the back where they do the demos.

They ran a demo loop of Job Simulator, space pirate adventure (?), and tiltbrush

First the negatives.
- I trod on the cable a few times and it was tugging pretty hard on the headset. But disappointing but apparently something you get used to over time? Would be the same across all headset anyway.
- screen door is noticeable, but not objectionable to me. I'd take less though please.
- fov seems narrow when you put it on, but you adjust quickly. I don't know if I'd want something with lower fov..
- I had some issues with the right hand controller tracking in the loading space and the first demo going wrong which messed up job simulator a bit and I don't know why it was doing that - the room was free of obstruction and the lighthouses were on stands. It cleared up for the other demos though

Now the positives:
- Everything else

Jesus. Having only previously used the DK1 this thing is amazing. Just standing in the loading space and taking the controllers is something special. The tracking is so good (and the rendering of them is good too) that they feel like the real controllers.

Balloon physics are great, but I'd like more of a haptic 'ping' when I hit them.

Job Simulator. Was fun but not amazing. I think I was rushing things though. The sense of putting things onto surfaces wasn't strong and picking things up was a bit disconnected too. Managed to print out a photo from the computer though :)

Space pirate adventure is now on my shopping list. So simple. It's a shooting gallery. But the guns were solidly tracked, and aiming felt great. The best bit was when the enemies shoot at you, it goes into slow motion and you can Neo the incoming laser blasts. Felt bloody amazing. Literally dodging them and the turning to watch them as they pass you by.

Tiltbrush is great. I can't paint so t was just squiggles. But they are floating squiggles anchored in space. That moment when you draw your first line, then move around to view it from different angles....so good. My kids are going to love this one.

Also, PC world (and I assume the other retailers like scan and overclockers) are selling vive. Preorder at £689 for pick up in store and save the postage cost. Sales guy was unsure about dates though so I think I'll stick with my online order

Those of you in the uk should definitely see if you can get to a demo.

One worry I have is space though. It's very easy to forget where you are in the real world, and games like space pirate naturally make you dodge quickly, so it could be easy to move outside of the chaperone bounds without realising. So I think you wouldn't want to set your chaperone space right by your walls - I can see people running into walls if they do that. Build in some buffer space. And maybe padding ;)

djfist

As someone who owned a Sony Hmz t3 headset, let me tell you all two things right here and now. 1. Comfort is a huge deal breaker with these things. I loved my Sony hmz but it felt like you had a 10 lb dumbbell strapped to your head. After 30 minutes it started to take you out of the experience. The initial hands on reviews of all three units has the Playstation vr as the most comfortable of the three. That's huge. Superior specs don't mean much if you're constantly fidgeting around with the headset. 2. Watching a movie on these things is absolutely fucking awesome. The hmz was only 720p and it was still so immersive and captivating that you felt like you were in the best seats in the house of an empty cinema. If the the vr content isn't compelling right off the bat, it'll be worth the price of admission just to watch movies on any of these units. At least for me...

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who owned a Sony Hmz t3 headset, let me tell you all two things right here and now. 1. Comfort is a huge deal breaker with these things. I loved my Sony hmz but it felt like you had a 10 lb dumbbell strapped to your head. After 30 minutes it started to take you out of the experience. The initial hands on reviews of all three units has the Playstation vr as the most comfortable of the three. That's huge. Superior specs don't mean much if you're constantly fidgeting around with the headset. 2. Watching a movie on these things is absolutely fucking awesome. The hmz was only 720p and it was still so immersive and captivating that you felt like you were in the best seats in the house of an empty cinema. If the the vr content isn't compelling right off the bat, it'll be worth the price of admission just to watch movies on any of these units. At least for me...

But isn't the resolution really crappy for watching actual movies on a projected area that's not even using the whole display?

I never tried "proper" VR, just a silly Cardboard thing, but that was a pixely mess and kinda scarred me on the idea to actually watch movies etc with it. Would a movie in, say PSVR really look comparably good to watching it on an actual TV?

Sorry to ask again but I'd like to experience VR in person on either the Rift or Vive or even Samsung GearVR... where can someone go to try out VR in person? Any retailers have demo station for VR? I'm on the edge of getting either a Rift or Vive with my tax money but Ive never actually tried VR to know if its "for me". If any PC-GAFbro in south florida wouldnt mind me coming over to try it out I would do that too lol.

I just need to try this shit to see what its all about, i dont know how else to do it.

Mikeside

But isn't the resolution really crappy for watching actual movies on a projected area that's not even using the whole display?

I never tried "proper" VR, just a silly Cardboard thing, but that was a pixely mess and kinda scarred me on the idea to actually watch movies etc with it. Would a movie in, say PSVR really look comparably good to watching it on an actual TV?

basically it'll never look as good as a decent 1080p TV for sake of crispness and actual resolution

but what you lose in that, gain in sense of presence and immersion

How much that tips the scales is really down to the individual, for me I'd rather watch a lower resolution movie (to a point) and achieve that than watch one in 4k or whatever.

Compsiox

Banned
Sorry to ask again but I'd like to experience VR in person on either the Rift or Vive or even Samsung GearVR... where can someone go to try out VR in person? Any retailers have demo station for VR? I'm on the edge of getting either a Rift or Vive with my tax money but Ive never actually tried VR to know if its "for me". If any PC-GAFbro in south florida wouldnt mind me coming over to try it out I would do that too lol.

I just need to try this shit to see what its all about, i dont know how else to do it.
Best Buy for GearVR in US. retailers in UK have Vive don't remember which.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
basically it'll never look as good as a decent 1080p TV for sake of crispness and actual resolution

but what you lose in that, gain in sense of presence and immersion

How much that tips the scales is really down to the individual, for me I'd rather watch a lower resolution movie (to a point) and achieve that than watch one in 4k or whatever.

Oh, that's not even necessarily what I hoped for :)
Let me rephrase, would a movie watched on the new "AAA", wired headsets look fine compared to a DVD-quality, or even med-to-high-ish Youtube quality movie on fullscreen?

dumbo

Actually, i was on about PSVR, i didn't even consider the Oculus leaking light, i thought it was a much more enclosed ski-goggle type.
That'll be in my PC room though, which can go dark.
The 100-degree field of view and light-leaking is really making me reconsider the Sony option now.
Actually, that video mentions that the new PSVR doesn't leak light.

Hopefully this link goes to about the right spot (1:41:48 they are talking about the PSVR ergonomics):
https://youtu.be/3pU5el97Rcg?t=6108

Mikeside

Oh, that's not even necessarily what I hoped for :)
Let me rephrase, would a movie watched on the new "AAA", wired headsets look fine compared to a DVD-quality, or even med-to-high-ish Youtube quality movie on fullscreen?

It's not a direct comparison, is the issue.

You need to think more about "would it look good compared to THIS TV/MONITOR" than the source material

artsi

Interestingly I've seen a ton of paid ads for HTC Vive on Facebook, but none for Oculus Rift.

Maybe they really don't want any more orders at this point :p

people may laugh at you now, but in 10-20 years, they'll all wish they had accounted for room-scale VR.

Something tells me that we'll have moved beyond room-scale in that time frame. It's a step along the way to where we want to go. At least I'd hope we don't have the same needed space and in game traversal limitations in twenty years that current room scale has.

Tarin02543

I love how VR presents new technical challenges which need to be overcome. I feel this is a whole new start for videogames in general.

artsi

In 20 years time, we should able to walk anywhere in VR by special treadmill or something new.

Room scale, treadmills... blah, in 2022 we will have NerveGear and I'll be one of the first ones stuck in the MMO limbo.

3VvIDmF.gif

The Playstation VR is priced at $549 in Australia at EB Games which is the same as the PS4. I wonder if people will take the investment of $1100 to try out the VR. It's exciting the new tech but itisn't priced like the Wii with it's motion controls - cheap and easy to buy.

Time will tell.

Qassim

I love how VR presents new technical challenges which need to be overcome. I feel this is a whole new start for videogames in general.

Yep - in many ways - it's like a blank slate for game design, especially when you're designing for tracked controllers.

Treadmill and Room Scale is the best we have right now but I don't see it being the future of the technology. Not at all. We're going to have to find a better way that doesn't require buying an ugly contraption or moving our furniture.

iceatcs

Treadmill and Room Scale is the best we have right now but I don't see it being the future of the technology. Not at all. We're going to have to find a better way that doesn't require buying an ugly contraption or moving our furniture.
Plug into the brain is the only way so that you can stay still, like The Matrix.

Tadie

Damn, Im so hyped for VR.

I already preordered PSVR....but October is so far away :/

Maybe I have to order Vive or Rift?

Plug the brain only way so that you can stay still, like The Matrix.

We've seen technology using brain waves to control video games. It's even on the market but the quality is well below any sort of standard we would expect. I wonder if investing in that technology to see how far we can take it is the next step for virtual reality.

How long until Playstation 9?

I feel like we are on track.

Zalusithix

In 20 years time, we should able to walk anywhere in VR by special treadmill or something new.

Unlike electronics, physical things like treadmills don't advance much over time, nor do they have the same rate of cost reduction. An advanced omnidirectional treadmill isn't going be cheap, even 20 years from now. And by advanced I mean something more than the Virtuix Omni. That sort of device is nowhere near a substitute, but more of a complimentary thing. Empty space, on the other hand, will continue to be cheap. Well, at least if you don't live in a major city.

Something new is equally unlikely to happen. We're dealing with physics of locomotion here. There's only so many things you can do. Obviously tapping into our nervous system to intercept and simulate signals ala SAO is far more than 20 years off.

Edit:
I can't wait to 3D trace a real object in Tilt Brush, like a chair, and then sit on it.

Sorry, just a thought.
You know, I think I'm going to have to do something like that. Could be rather surreal to actually physically interact with something that's in the virtual space in a different form. This is somewhat akin to augmented reality, but we're a fair ways away from accurately subtracting from the reality in AR. Easy enough to add things in, but removal doesn't work well.

iceatcs

We've seen technology using brain waves to control video games. It's even on the market but the quality is well below any sort of standard we would expect. I wonder if investing in that technology to see how far we can take it is the next step for virtual reality.

How long until Playstation 9?

I feel like we are on track.

I think it might be too far something like The Matrix. I could see something like contact lenses will be further body interferes. I just can't see the mind control technology will allow in the public.

But the brain waves to control will be fine but will it stable enough.

Mikeside

One thing that should be obvious but I haven't actually looked into:

For games that aren't VR enabled, but you can play in 3D - such as Arkham City

Can I just switch that 3d setting on and play with my Vive, or is it likely to be more complicated than that?

Top Bottom