• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Can we say it technically works, but that doesn't mean it will practically work. Like I said earlier that relies on oculus' official stance, and how easily people can set up cameras to handle multiple use cases - especially important if oculus sticks with a front facing focus

Less than ideal perhaps?

I mean that's the part we can only speculate on right now. Cable lengths and whether it comes with instructions and all that. Who knows at this point.

viveks86

Man, I need to make more money lol. I have all 3 pre ordered, but only plan on keeping one, maybe psvr if I can get money together again by Oct. I'm holding off on cancelling one until they're in the wild. I'm really leaning towards Vive based mostly on how fun some of the room scale games look, but my biggest concern is the SDE. If people say there's a huge difference in terms of SDE then I may keep the Rift and wait till CV2 for room scale.

Yeah SDE is my only hype killer at the moment. I really can't wait to see for myself and compare both. But I do plan to keep both regardless. Would potentially get touch as well, based on exclusive content. For me, the rift is simply better for seated experiences from a comfort perspective alone (based on everything I've heard so far). So I can totally see myself using it for ALL seated experience games, and use the vive exclusively for room scale.

Furthermore, I think it's natural for participants in a thread about "high-end VR" to gravitate towards the solution which is most "high-end" out of the gate.

Agreed, but you probably already know that ;)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah I know, that's what I'm thinking too, what are the possible roadblocks with that kind of a solution.

If Valve was able to offer Vive + Rift compatibility with both motion controls and HMD's, or at least easy controller-specific configuration for developers, I think everyone would win (except Oculus Store as people would buy all their room scale games from Steam).

That would be interesting to see. Because that will really hurt the Oculus Store, so I'm not sure Oculus will allow it. Maybe if there is a good markup on Touch.

Monger

I hope Tested get their Rift in the next few days. I want to see their comparisons between their Pre in detail.

I like the Tested guys, but I just can't handle Norm sometimes. I like him and he does great interviews, but I wish he would let the other guys finish a thought. They'll be saying something interesting and I'm waiting for the rest and he just cuts them off and finishes for them or just rewords what they said. And he likes the light leaking through the bottom of the Rift which I just can't understand.

Yeah I know, that's what I'm thinking too, what are the possible roadblocks with that kind of a solution.

If Valve was able to offer Vive + Rift compatibility with both motion controls and HMD's, or at least easy controller-specific configuration for developers, I think everyone would win (except Oculus Store as people would buy all their room scale games from Steam).

It will come and people will buy most games (not just room scale) from Steam. Because Steam, its chat and robust features will always dominate (because they've been curating its content and tuning its features for over a decade). Best move Oculus can make to slow that eventuality is to make Oculus SDK work with all the major HMDs.

viveks86

I think from a technical standpoint, everything will be in a state of flux for a while and devs shouldn't break their heads over supporting competing products this early on. Oculus might completely revamp their approach to tracking in the next rev of touch. Heck, Vive might too, although unlikely. The APIs would all be rewritten and optimized over and over. It's ok for the first few years for devs to keep rapidly innovating and doing their own thing without worrying about others IMO.

And there's going to be enough content on each platform to keep everyone happy anyway.

The only people who won't be happy are those who can't afford everything but want everything. Well, that's not how the world works, so they'll just have to make peace with that.

Zalusithix

The Hover Junker guys are having way too much fun with guns. I envy them.

Edit:
Also, I want that matrix like idea to exist in some VR game, if only as an easter egg. Just have an arsenal of guns materialize around you that you can pick up, fire and discard.

Arulan

I think from a technical standpoint, everything will be in a state of flux for a while and devs shouldn't break their heads over supporting competing products this early on. Oculus might completely revamp their approach to tracking in the next rev of touch. Heck, Vive might too, although unlikely. The APIs would all be rewritten and optimized over and over. It's ok for the first few years for devs to keep rapidly innovating and doing their own thing without worrying about others.

And there's going to be enough content on each platform to keep everyone happy anyway.

The only people who won't be happy are those who can't afford everything but want everything. Well, that's not how the world works, so they'll just have to make peace with that.

I don't see why APIs will have to be completely overhauled, even if tracking solutions change. You just abstract everything, like what OpenVR does.

Furthermore, I think it's in the developers best interest and the platform holders to want potential customers to be accessible from ANY hardware, not divided up. It helps the VR industry take off and grow.

The Hover Junker guys are having way too much fun with guns. I envy them.

Edit:
Also, I want that matrix like idea to exist in some VR game, if only as an easter egg. Just have an arsenal of guns materialize around you that you can pick up, fire and discard.

I loved watching their twitch stream over the summer while they were devving. Pretty good mix of electro swing they'd put on too. I thought they were a lock for Justin Roiland's first VR game as much as he talked about them. I'm sure that accounting game is in good hands with Pugh though.

Arulan

Does anyone know of any Vive-compatible games that are playable on a i7-920/GTX 670? I'll have my Vive before my new build, and I need to find something that I can play in the meantime. Perhaps Audio Shield or Surgeon Simulator?

Bsigg12

Does anyone know of any Vive-compatible games that are playable on a i7-920/GTX 670? I'll have my Vive before my new build, and I need to find something that I can play in the meantime. Perhaps Audio Shield or Surgeon Simulator?

That's a tall order. You'll want to read every performance article you can find and hope they test your setup before you buy any games before you get your new rig.

Also there is a German site that tested a bunch of setups and posted results, someone might be able to link you to.

viveks86

I don't see why APIs will have to be completely overhauled, even if tracking solutions change. You just abstract everything, like what OpenVR does.

I don't think it's simple as that. Coding for different APIs is one thing, officially supporting a competing product is another. The moment you support a competing product, consumers will hold you responsible for the QA as well as post sales support for said competing product. You need to accept refunds if a game sold through your store doesn’t work well on a competing product, even if it works well on your own product. It just seems too early to be dealing with all that instead of focusing resources on innovating on your own.

Furthermore, I think it's in the developers best interest and the platform holders to want potential customers to be accessible from ANY hardware, not divided up. It helps the VR industry take off and grow.

Sure, but one needs to be practical too and weigh the costs of doing so. Will it slow down release cycles? What's the effort for testing and supporting new SDK releases etc. If they choose to do it, great, but if not, it's understandable.

Cartman86

Banned
Just got my shipping prep confirmation for Oculus. Is the 1-3 weeks thing normal or am I in a second batch? I ordered within 5 minutes. EDIT: Looks like a blanket automated message.

Also this https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/526448734199646/

Probably just a support thing, but they are saying you can't use an HDMI adapter. They are suggesting that you free up the HDMI port on your graphics card by using an adapter for your TV or device that is using it and not the Rift itself.

viveks86

Just got my shipping confirmation for Oculus. Is the 1-3 weeks thing normal or am I in a second batch? I ordered within 5 minutes.

What number are you?

Also this https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/526448734199646/

Probably just a support thing, but they are saying you can't use an HDMI adapter. They are suggesting that you free up the HDMI port on your graphics card by using an adapter for your TV or device that is using it and not the Rift itself.

Uh oh. if that's truly the case, it's probably gonna be an issue with other headsets as well. Ugh. I wonder why though... is it the non standard resolution or bandwidth?

Virtual Desktop looks like a must have, and I expect to lose some time in that since it does 3d shit

and someone in that thread mentioned emulators, oh man

I got 24 on my order number and I also got the 1-3 weeks thing

I sincerely hope it's like, tomorrow though ha

I definitely should be day 1 and I'll be real bummed if I'm not

Cyriades

This Oculus spreadsheet should give you some idea

Steam_VR_test_v1.jpg

Cartman86

Banned
Nice. What number are you?

Uh oh. if that's truly the case, it's probably gonna be an issue with other headsets as well. Ugh. I wonder why though... is it the non standard resolution or bandwidth?

Oculus team member said adapters worked so i'm guessing this is just one of those "official" things to get around support questions about cables because there will no doubt be ones that don't work. I'm not too worried about my 4K adapter not working.

Zalusithix

Oculus team member said adapters worked so i'm guessing this is just one of those "official" things to get around support questions about cables because there will no doubt be ones that don't work. I'm not too worried about my 4K adapter not working.

It's bullshit. Either an (active) adapter works, or it doesn't. If it'll work with the Radeon R9 295X2, it'll work with anything. The 295X2 isn't some magical card. It just doesn't happen to have any HDMI ports, so they're begrudgingly making an exception for it. Pretty much every other card that meets min spec happens to have an HDMI port, so it's simpler for them to offload the "problem" to the companies making the monitors/TVs.

viveks86

It's bullshit. Either an (active) adapter works, or it doesn't. If it'll work with the Radeon R9 295X2, it'll work with anything. The 295X2 isn't some magical card. It just doesn't happen to have any HDMI ports, so they're begrudgingly making an exception for it. Pretty much every other card that meets min spec happens to have an HDMI port, so it's simpler for them to offload the "problem" to the companies making the monitors/TVs.

Lol. Why only the 295x2 though? Fury X doesn't have hdmi ports either right?

So, about 60 seconds after the Oculus Rift went I preorder, I bought one. I got an error indicating that the order didn't go through, and I retried a couple of times and then gave up. I've since decided I don't want one—I'm very interested in VR, but for $600 I'll wait for second gen.

I've just been sent an email indicating that my Oculus Rift is almost ready to ship.

Should I:

1) Buy it and resell it for a profit? This would honestly be a bit of a hassle for a busy college senior like me, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it. Any thoughts?
2) Transfer the order to someone else who wants it. Perhaps I could change the billing and shipping address to that of another Gaffer (not for any sort of profit, since this would be easy on my part. Is this possible? I'm guessing it isn't.
3) Just cancel the order. I feel kind of like I'm missing out on an opportunity, but...

Thanks!

Zalusithix

Lol. Why only the 295x2 though? Fury X doesn't have hdmi ports either right?

The Fury X has one HDMI port. Cards without one are really the oddball out. Even if you had a couple, that still allows you to conveniently exclude the other 99% from support requests.

Either way: Point to HTC for including a Displayport input on the breakout box. No support needed, because no adapters needed!

viveks86

So, about 60 seconds after the Oculus Rift went I preorder, I bought one. I got an error indicating that the order didn't go through, and I retried a couple of times and then gave up. I've since decided I don't want one—I'm very interested in VR, but for $600 I'll wait for second gen.

I've just been sent an email indicating that my Oculus Rift is almost ready to ship.

Should I:

1) Buy it and resell it for a profit? This would honestly be a bit of a hassle for a busy college senior like me, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it. Any thoughts?
2) Transfer the order to someone else who wants it. Perhaps I could change the billing and shipping address to that of another Gaffer (not for any sort of profit, since this would be easy on my part. Is this possible? I'm guessing it isn't.
3) Just cancel the order. I feel kind of like I'm missing out on an opportunity, but...

Thanks!

Go for 1. I'm sure someone here is willing to pay extra. The profit you make would be well worth it. College education doesn't pay for itself you know :p

And hey, you took the pains to place an order within 60 seconds on a site that kept throwing all sorts of errors, for your own personal use. That is worth something. Profit away. I'd say $800 is a reasonable price including taxes and shipping, but I won't be surprised if there are people willing to pay more.

Should I:

Thanks!
Let it ship to your house and sell it to a gaffer for a small profit. That's what I'd do. Just ask for something like $700

viveks86

The Fury X has one HDMI port. Cards without one are really the oddball out. Even if you had a couple, that still allows you to conveniently exclude the other 99% from support requests.

Think I confused hdmi 2.0 support for lack of a port altogether. My bad.

Either way: Point to HTC for including a Displayport input on the breakout box. No support needed, because no adapters needed!

Had no idea about this. Cool!

Seiru

Banned

Should I:

Thanks!

Well first step would be logging in to your shop account and checking that you actually have an order with a card on file and the correct address etc

I got my oculus shipping soon email too! What number are you guys talking about? I ordered with in the fires few minutes, but it was a couple months ago at this point, I remember the site wasn't working for the first few, so I'd say the first 5-8 mins it went live.

Well first step would be logging in to your shop account and checking that you actually have an order with a card on file and the correct address etc

I do indeed! What I'm NOT 100% sure of is whether I actually have $600 in my account, so I will need to check that.

Thanks guys, for a potential $200 I'm going to try to resell it. I feel a little bit scummy about it, but I guess that is how supply and demand works.

Arulan

That's a tall order. You'll want to read every performance article you can find and hope they test your setup before you buy any games before you get your new rig.

Also there is a German site that tested a bunch of setups and posted results, someone might be able to link you to.
Given the only somewhat worse performance of the 670 vs the 770, I'd say Hover Junkers will probably work.
http://www.computerbase.de/2016-03/...rks/2/#diagramm-hover-junkers-geforce-gtx-770
This Oculus spreadsheet should give you some idea

Thanks. I realize it's pushing it, but just about anything would do.

It looks like Hover Junkers is plausible. I know Valve released information on their dynamic quality settings (Source 2 and their Unity plug-in), stating a GTX 680 could run some things. I suppose I'll have to wait for further performance benchmarks.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Thumper: New PSVR Gameplay video with music
It's been hard for me to get a good understanding on what this game would actually play like until now. Polygon has a great 10 minute video with a guy playing it in PSVR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytsbpjgmCmI

It's day one for me now! The music sounds great and the visuals are mesmorizing

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I got my email about 1-3 weeks, I'm apparently 25 although I could have sworn I was in the 26 group.

I was really hoping it was going to ship on Monday. It may still, we'll see.

Getting close though!

Naudi

Banned

Should I:

Thanks!

There was someone in the other Oculus thread that was interested in buying somesones pre order. Should be last page or close to it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Watched it already.
I feel I need to say this again. I don't mean room-scale isn't good. I mean I don't think walking around will be the norm in games. A step or two, sure but not actually walking around. Too few people have the space for it. I do think 360 degrees, crouching, dodging and so on are or should be a big part of Rift and Vive's generation though.

PSVR can do all these things too. SCEE London's game has these in the game.

viveks86

PSVR can do all these things too. SCEE London's game has these in the game.

The PSVR uses one camera right? 360 degrees will be a challenge to track the controllers properly while turned around. Head tracking won't be a problem though, but having head tracking alone wouldn't make much sense, unless the game only needs head tracking. It's designed as a primarily front facing solution.

Cartman86

Banned
The PSVR uses one camera right? 360 degrees will be a challenge to track the controllers properly while turned around. Head tracking won't be a problem though, but having head tracking alone wouldn't make much sense, unless the game only needs head tracking. It's designed as a primarily front facing solution.

Is that even possible? I thought the PS4 camera required a dedicated auxiliary port?

Probably not. Never know what could happen with future adapters and shit considering the crazy that is going on in the console world right now.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/646638027963992634
Desktop Theater and other Seated VR games will set an initial Seated Center (once the headset detects it’s being worn) if one has never been set. This is saved across sessions. Use “Reset Seated Center” from the in-headset Settings menu to change it.

Might just be poor wording, but can the Vive actually detect when you are wearing the headset? Seems really useful if true. Especially for seated stuff. Anyone with a DK2 knows how annoying it was to orient the center if you launch the game without the headset on.

I got up half an hour before it went live. Created an HTC account just to be sure. I was there the second it went live but the website wouldn't put the order through no matter how many times I tried until I tried closing the page and redoing everything. Could NOT have taken more than 10 minutes... Got an email that I am in the second April shipment... I'm pretty pissed. Dagnabbit.

On the other hand I am preoccupying my time building this to make more space in the basement.

Murphy%20Bed%20Closed%20%28Queen%29.jpg

Murphy%20Bed%20Open%202%20%28Queen%29.jpg

I am using these DIY plans,

http://www.ana-white.com/2010/03/plans-a-murphy-bed-you-can-build-and-afford-to-build.html

Super simple and cheap solution. Should cost no more than $150 dollars depending on how fancy you get. Though you could get frugal and hunt for scraps at the lumber yards and potentially nock the price down to screws, nails, hinges, paint and latches. I just changed the measurements to fit our "queen" size bed and flipped it sideways. If you aren't comfortable making cuts or just don't have the tools or time, just take the measurements with you to the lumber store and they can most likely make all of the cuts for you free of charge. And if you don't have space in your vehicle to transport the materials they may deliver for free as well like mine did.

Doing this effectively doubles my roomscale space. This will put me at roughly 17'x9' :D

Even if this is something kind of foreign to you (it's my first time building furniture as well) it really is easy to figure out and it really helps take your mind off the wait for VR.

Also, I got some huge bonus points from the wife who loves the idea of creating more space (and a shelf on top) and making it look nice. Really softens the blow of how much I've been spending on VR lately lol.

EDIT: The photos aren't mine. Just an example. I will be documenting the process though for those that are interested. I will post photos of the finished product when I get the chance.

Bsigg12

Probably not. Never know what could happen with future adapters and shit considering the crazy that is going on in the console world right now.

Desktop Theater and other Seated VR games will set an initial Seated Center (once the headset detects it’s being worn) if one has never been set. This is saved across sessions. Use “Reset Seated Center” from the in-headset Settings menu to change it.

Might just be poor wording, but can the Vive actually detect when you are wearing the headset? Seems really useful if true. Especially for seated stuff. Anyone with a DK2 knows how annoying it was to orient the center if you launch the game without the headset on.

I believe it and the Rift both have the proximity sensor that knows when a headset is on someone. It's a little IR sensor inside the headset itself.

viveks86

Yup. I think the consumer Rift does this too. Remember Palmer talking about it on reddit while discussing burn in.

Cartman86

Banned
I got up half an hour before it went live. Created an HTC account just to be sure. I was there the second it went live but the website wouldn't put the order through no matter how many times I tried until I tried closing the page and redoing everything. Could NOT have taken more than 10 minutes... Got an email that I am in the second April shipment... I'm pretty pissed. Dagnabbit.

On the other hand I am preoccupying my time building this to make more space in the basement.

Murphy%20Bed%20Closed%20%28Queen%29.jpg

Murphy%20Bed%20Open%202%20%28Queen%29.jpg

I am using these DIY plans,

http://www.ana-white.com/2010/03/plans-a-murphy-bed-you-can-build-and-afford-to-build.html

Super simple and cheap solution. Should cost no more than $150 dollars depending on how fancy you get. Though you could get frugal and hunt for scraps at the lumber yards and potentially nock the price down to screws, nails, hinges, and latches. I just changed the measurements to fit our "queen" size bed and flipped it sideways. If you aren't comfortable making cuts or just don't have the tools or time, just take the measurements with you to the lumber store and they can most likely make all of the cuts for you free of charge. And if you don't have space in your vehicle to transport the materials they may deliver for free as well like mine did.

Doing this effectively doubles my roomscale space. This will put me at roughly 17'x9' :D

Even if this is something kind of foreign to you (it's my first time building furniture as well) it really is easy to figure out and it really helps take your mind off the wait for VR.

Also, I got some huge bonus points from the wife who loves the idea of creating more space (and a shelf on top) and making it look nice. Really softens the blow of how much I've been spending on VR lately lol.

Super tempted to do this and get standing desk for my PC to save even more space.

I do indeed! What I'm NOT 100% sure of is whether I actually have $600 in my account, so I will need to check that.

Thanks guys, for a potential $200 I'm going to try to resell it. I feel a little bit scummy about it, but I guess that is how supply and demand works. Thanks!

You're missing a zero.

Haha

But seriously, selling for $200 extra may be a very cheap markup. Special GAFer deal.

I used to detest such practices. Then I spent several years on the verge of seeing my family fall apart. I don't begrudge anyone who's anywhere near reasonable anymore.

Top Bottom