• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Mindlog

I got up half an hour before it went live. Created an HTC account just to be sure. I was there the second it went live but the website wouldn't put the order through no matter how many times I tried until I tried closing the page and redoing everything. Could NOT have taken more than 10 minutes... Got an email that I am in the second April shipment... I'm pretty pissed. Dagnabbit.

On the other hand I am preoccupying my time building this to make more space in the basement.

I am using these DIY plans,

http://www.ana-white.com/2010/03/plans-a-murphy-bed-you-can-build-and-afford-to-build.html

Super simple and cheap solution. Should cost no more than $150 dollars depending on how fancy you get. Though you could get frugal and hunt for scraps at the lumber yards and potentially nock the price down to screws, nails, hinges, paint and latches. I just changed the measurements to fit our "queen" size bed and flipped it sideways. If you aren't comfortable making cuts or just don't have the tools or time, just take the measurements with you to the lumber store and they can most likely make all of the cuts for you free of charge. And if you don't have space in your vehicle to transport the materials they may deliver for free as well like mine did.

Doing this effectively doubles my roomscale space. This will put me at roughly 17'x9' :D

Even if this is something kind of foreign to you (it's my first time building furniture as well) it really is easy to figure out and it really helps take your mind off the wait for VR.

Also, I got some huge bonus points from the wife who loves the idea of creating more space (and a shelf on top) and making it look nice. Really softens the blow of how much I've been spending on VR lately lol.
Great work. Fun to get these kinds of projects done.

Sky Chief

I got up half an hour before it went live. Created an HTC account just to be sure. I was there the second it went live but the website wouldn't put the order through no matter how many times I tried until I tried closing the page and redoing everything. Could NOT have taken more than 10 minutes... Got an email that I am in the second April shipment... I'm pretty pissed. Dagnabbit.

On the other hand I am preoccupying my time building this to make more space in the basement.

Murphy%20Bed%20Closed%20%28Queen%29.jpg

Murphy%20Bed%20Open%202%20%28Queen%29.jpg

http://www.ana-white.com/2010/03/plans-a-murphy-bed-you-can-build-and-afford-to-build.html

Super simple and cheap solution. Should cost no more than $150 dollars depending on how fancy you get. Though you could get frugal and hunt for scraps at the lumber yards and potentially nock the price down to screws, nails, hinges, paint and latches. I just changed the measurements to fit our "queen" size bed and flipped it sideways. If you aren't comfortable making cuts or just don't have the tools or time, just take the measurements with you to the lumber store and they can most likely make all of the cuts for you free of charge. And if you don't have space in your vehicle to transport the materials they may deliver for free as well like mine did.

Doing this effectively doubles my roomscale space. This will put me at roughly 17'x9' :D

Even if this is something kind of foreign to you (it's my first time building furniture as well) it really is easy to figure out and it really helps take your mind off the wait for VR.

Also, I got some huge bonus points from the wife who loves the idea of creating more space (and a shelf on top) and making it look nice. Really softens the blow of how much I've been spending on VR lately lol.

Haha, that's awesome!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
If Rift gets room scale or I get a Vive the wife says I can dedicate a room to VR on the condition that we paint it like the holodeck. :p

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Foveated rendering is so different from a normal rendering process that I don't believe it could ever be injected with a wrapper in a way that makes sense (i.e. increases performance).

Ah, too bad. Guess the game would need to be designed with it in mind, and at that point they might as well just implement VR support natively.

I suppose that eye tracking passthrough concept could still be useful for the most stubbornly non-VR-friendly games, like fast-paced FPS.

Monger

GreenlightVR and RoadtoVR are putting together an industry report and RoadtoVR has a preview. I've seen concern about Vive development posted a few times and I've wondered a bit myself with them being late to the party. It's interesting to see the shift in where developers will be focusing their attention.

Greenlight-VR-VRIM-Result_Developer-Focus-Shift.png

GreenlightVR and RoadtoVR are putting together an industry report and RoadtoVR has a preview. I've seen concern about Vive development posted a few times and I've wondered a bit myself with them being late to the party. It's interesting to see the shift in where developers will be focusing their attention.

fortunately, the Vive and Rift will most likely get a good number of PSVR ports without having to be heavily targeted. I wouldn't worry about either.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Without more context this could also just mean that companies are finishing Rift targeted games then focusing on porting to other headsets. I can't imagine 75% of devs just abandoning the Rift.

bj00rn_

Banned

Doesn't make sense, needs more context. Why is it pr VR hmd instead of major platform f.ex. How much extra work is it if you make a VR game on the Rift to also make a Vive version.. are they talking about room scale, I don't get it.

Monger

Without more context this could also just mean that companies are finishing Rift targeted games then focusing on porting to other headsets. I can't imagine 75% of devs just abandoning the Rift.

There is no explanation given with the graph. The numbers are what they are and probably contain a myriad of reasons. Maybe conclusions are given in the full report that will be released, but that you can preorder for only $995.00.

Despite the uncertainty in business models evident in Greenlight VR’s research, respondents indicate early bets are being made. Moreover, a massive shift underway in terms of platforms for which the developer community seem to be focusing their attention.

viveks86

$1495.00 if you don't preorder, so get in now.

I have no idea what the going rate is for market research of this sort.

Cha ching!

Seriously, thought there was a joke I was missing. I'm guessing companies shelling out for these reports is a common thing given the price.

Well, for a AAA developer or investor, it's pocket change, I guess. My ex employer used to throw big money at Gartner every year for stuff like this.

It's not his. He was visiting Kyle Cooper.

of course if he'd like one Valve will put one in the mail for him. In fact, there's probably one on the way to his offices right now.

This is what I have had in my head as a locomotion solution medium sized spaces and buildings for a while now and I'm glad to see it being implemented. This should actually stretch peoples available playspace as well if they have a nice long path to walk back and forth on.

Now hopefully they will allow for a less intrusive chaperone boundary. Let us set the opacity or maybe just an outline along the floor or something.

fascinating, jim.

also, the boundary can pretty heavily customized. effect, transparency, color. no doubt more attractive and subtle solutions are forthcoming, however.

Cartman86

Banned
This is what I have had in my head as a locomotion solution medium sized spaces and buildings for a while now and I'm glad to see it being implemented. This should actually stretch peoples available playspace as well if they have a nice long path to walk back and forth on.

Now hopefully they will allow for a less intrusive chaperone boundary. Let us set the opacity or maybe just an outline along the floor or something.

Will have to try myself of course but I really dislike this.

viveks86

It is literally pausing the game, blurring out the environment and reminding you of your floor plan every time you need to turn. As much as it works, this technique seems extremely immersion breaking, even without a rotating chaperone boundary. It could work for relaxed experiences that exclusively involve walking around and interacting with objects, I guess.

May be I'd feel different about it when I try it out. All locomotion techniques make some kind of a compromise anyway.

it's hard because the chaperone boundry helps prevent motion sickness. if it was just a floor plan you would get motion sick easier. so i hear.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Murphy%20Bed%20Closed%20%28Queen%29.jpg

Murphy%20Bed%20Open%202%20%28Queen%29.jpg

EDIT: The photos aren't mine. Just an example. I will be documenting the process though for those that are interested. I will post photos of the finished product when I get the chance.

Looks great. Going to sort out my room over the coming couple of weeks before vive arrives. Getting rid of the sofa bed will be a big help but we could have a weird problem where the room has all the stuff crammed at one end and the rest of the room is empty - could look strange. So I need to consider adding things back that can be super quickly moved out of the way. Maybe a couple of bean bags for seating or chairs on rollers

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I thought about something like this, but it seems potentially confusing. It's like you would turn around with your eyes closed every 3-4 steps. So I don't know how I will react to that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

This sounds decent. Not sure if want to walk around large areas like that, but it could be very useful for exploring a room/house etc.

taoofjord

As much as I'd like this to work it seems like an awfully tedious system that would take you out of the experience. So far, teleportation seems like a far better solution.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I thought about something like this, but it seems potentially confusing. It's like you would turn around with your eyes closed every 3-4 steps. So I don't know how I will react to that.

It's basically like recalibrating your 'forward' orientation with the press of a button. You're going to need to do that somehow if you want to avoid teleportation (which is also not exactly immersive). This looks neat and simple - the visible chaperone gives you comfort as you reorient yourself, and the blurred background in the game gives you some continuity.

Nzyme32

This isn't true in the majority of cases though. Often in VR you can do things that in reality would make little sense and you would think are uncomfortable, but turn out to be great. A good example is teleportation or blink. No animations or a very quick fade out and in, is not disorientating or weird in VR, which in itself is weird to think about. So I'd keep an open mind to solutions. Having said that, I'm guessing this would get uncomfortable if the game was at a faster pace. There was another game that I recall people saying they didn't like when they were forced to move quickly one side to the other to keep moving.

BrettWeir

Thumper: New PSVR Gameplay video with music
It's been hard for me to get a good understanding on what this game would actually play like until now. Polygon has a great 10 minute video with a guy playing it in PSVR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytsbpjgmCmI

It's day one for me now! The music sounds great and the visuals are mesmorizing

First game that has me excited for my PSVR pre-order! Can't help but think that the "ship" is the beetle from Journey album covers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So some different OR 'about to ship' emails are going out now, including to some European preorderers. that suggests they at least have rifts in some other distribution centres around the world.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's basically like recalibrating your 'forward' orientation with the press of a button. You're going to need to do that somehow if you want to avoid teleportation (which is also not exactly immersive). This looks neat and simple - the visible chaperone gives you comfort as you reorient yourself, and the blurred background in the game gives you some continuity.

You're right, the chaperon walls will probably help counter this.

This isn't true in the majority of cases though. Often in VR you can do things that in reality would make little sense and you would think are uncomfortable, but turn out to be great. A good example is teleportation or blink. No animations or a very quick fade out and in, is not disorientating or weird in VR, which in itself is weird to think about. So I'd keep an open mind to solutions. Having said that, I'm guessing this would get uncomfortable if the game was at a faster pace. There was another game that I recall people saying they didn't like when they were forced to move quickly one side to the other to keep moving.

I keep an open mind about, don't worry, it just seemed dizzy inducing while watching the video.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You're right, the chaperon walls will probably help counter this.

I keep an open mind about, don't worry, it just seemed dizzy inducing while watching the video.

I think I would want the basic chaperone grid though, rather than my room image, to keep it simple and less distracting

I think you need a decent amount of visual information for the 'turning' part. This looks very well thought out and quite practical. Obviously the game needs to allow for constantly stopping... but I can see this being ideal for a number of types of games. It's almost the VR equivalent of lifting the mouse in an FPS.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think you need a decent amount of visual information for the 'turning' part. This looks very well thought out and quite practical. Obviously the game needs to allow for constantly stopping... but I can see this being ideal for a number of types of games. It's almost the VR equivalent of lifting the mouse in an FPS.

This could work very well in point and click adventure games.

thematic

i just tried GearVR with Note 5 today and compared with cheap cardboard + my Xperia Z Ultra the screen door effects (IMO) are more noticable in GearVR

will the hi-end Oculus/Rift going to be better than GearVR+Note5 combo?

for now i kinda leaning toward PSVR because RGB pixel alone
and the price too :)

Thanks!

bj00rn_

Banned
i just tried GearVR with Note 5 today and compared with cheap cardboard + my Xperia Z Ultra the screen door effects (IMO) are more noticable in GearVR

will the hi-end Oculus/Rift going to be better than GearVR+Note5 combo?

for now i kinda leaning toward PSVR because RGB pixel alone
and the price too :)

Thanks!

Edit: In my first reply I overlooked your comment about price at the end.. Here's my revised reply

The experience you get out of the dedicated HMDs/VR solutions are for the most part not really directly comparable to mobile VR. Yes; they are going to be better than what you experienced on the Gear VR, including SDE.

Anyway, sub-pixels arrangement don't dictate SDE. One important thing you are forgetting is f.ex. to add the configuration / quality of the lenses and configuration into the equation, together with resolution, number of displays, FOV, and what kind of diffusion effect is happening.

So.many.monitors.in.one...

Well thanks Gaf, you've cost me my marriage probably as well as £2500!

Going to buy a £1200 I7 with GTX980ti and both Oculus and Vive now.

Sure I've convinced myself its because I'm using them to set up a business as a VR suite but we all know Im going to be using the damned thing more than anyone else!

Top Bottom