• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

I wouldnt have posted that video. The guy didnt seem very excited.

Not at all, it's like he's thinking "urghhhh my rubbish Rift has just been hand delivered by Palmer Luckey, hmmmm can't really cancel it now" lol

If that happened to me I'd be much the same way. Assuming I couldn't opt out at least. Give me my unit and get the hell out. I wouldn't want to be streamed on Facebook for everybody to judge me. Not everybody wants the role of a celebrity. Particularly when there's no real benefit.

No true, but at the end of the day he's getting a very exciting bit of hardware that's been signed by the main team behind it, and getting it hand delivered. I'd say that's pretty damn cool, and it doesn't hurt to show a bit of enthusiasm as he did order the bloody thing in the first place. Palmer was honestly way more excited, and was friendly and down to earth trying to get a conversation going. Almost feels rude to me, but we are all different I guess.

viveks86

Awful, it would have to be some guy with absolutely no personality whatsoever.

Why? Have you shown a lot of personality after being sleepless all night excited for something to arrive and then realize you are going to be on camera for the whole world to see live on twitch, talking to a billionaire in flip flops?

People want this to be some marketing video that will entertain them. It's a gesture from the CEO of the company to a regular guy who believed in his vision. How they perform on camera isn't really relevant. It's staged PR, of course, but I'm sure it meant something to both people involved. It saddens me that others can't appreciate that.

Is this any different from contacting HTC's number and asking? Last time I called was a few days ago and they reaffirmed my May window (got the email today too). Some seem to think htc reps have no idea what's happening with the shipping though.

No idea. Might as well find out in as many ways as possible.

Well I guess that's that...

baDEMeM.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I doubt this. That resolution gap and the way it renders (no reprojection) is pretty signficant imo. Built-in audio, and superior controllers make up the difference in price.

Which one has no reprojection? PSVR has reprojection at all frame rates (60 > 120, 90 > 90, 120 > 120) and has better controller than the default rift one (DS4 with positional and rotational tracking), and moves as twin hand controllers.

Frozone

Which one has no reprojection? PSVR has reprojection at all frame rates (60 > 120, 90 > 90, 120 > 120) and has better controller than the default rift one (DS4 with positional and rotational tracking), and moves as twin hand controllers.

I'm not a fan of reprojection. Pure brute force FPS is what I like. And I disagree that the move controller is anywhere near as ergonomic as the Rift Touch controllers.

Zalusithix

No true, but at the end of the day he's getting a very exciting bit of hardware that's been signed by the main team behind it, and getting it hand delivered. I'd say that's pretty damn cool, and it doesn't hurt to show a bit of enthusiasm as he did order the bloody thing in the first place. Palmer was honestly way more excited, and was friendly and down to earth trying to get a conversation going. Almost feels rude to me, but we are all different I guess.

Were it a private meeting, I'd entertain it. It's the whole lets stream this for the world to see advertising aspect that I'm a firm no-thank-you towards. This guy will have more people viewing his receiving of the Rift than most streamers who want to be internet famous do. Not everybody wants that sort of thing.

Why? Have you shown a lot of personality after being sleepless all night excited for something to arrive and then realize you are going to be on camera for the whole world to see live on twitch, talking to a billionaire in flip flops?

People want this to be some marketing video that will entertain them. It's a gesture from the CEO of the company to a regular guy who believed in his vision. How they perform on camera isn't really relevant. It's staged PR, of course, but I'm sure it meant something to both people involved. It saddens me that people can't appreciate that.

It's exactly what it comes down to "personality" I'm quite outgoing and friendly generally, and often don't get a lot of sleep with having children, and I deal with the public, I don't act like that, and nothing exciting happens in my day to day job.

I can guarantee if that was me, you'd get more than 2 words out of me and not act like I was offended to be receive my exciting new piece of tech. PR stunt or not. Palmer has always come across as quite a nice dude.

Cyriades

I doubt this. That resolution gap and the way it renders (no reprojection) is pretty signficant imo. Built-in audio, and superior controllers make up the difference in price.

I'm sorry, what?

I tried Right, GearVR, and Vive at CES. I also tried PSVR

I went to CES this year my goal was to try out all of the VR experiences I could get my hands on. And I did. I'd tried Crescent Bay last year, so I kind of knew what I was expecting with Oculus and I was impressed. I was wowed by how fantastic the lighthouse system of the Vive really is. But what surprised me the most is how great the PSVR is. The optics were fantastic. There was far less SDE than either the Vive or the Rift. The smoothness of the whole demo was absolutely fantastic as well. I was seriously impressed! I'm already all in for the Vive and Oculus, but honestly I'll probably buy a PS4 and PSVR as well because it really was an amazing product. Why isn't anyone talking much about it?

When I say far less SDE, I'm talking about none. Both my friend and I were talking about it while we were wearing the headset and the screen door effect on the PSVR is just gone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/405mrn/i_tried_right_gearvr_and_vive_at_ces_i_also_tried/

x3sphere

The guy did not seem super enthused in that video, but it's not like he was rude or anything. He just didn't give Oculus the glowing PR they wanted. It was all set up very last minute from what I've heard, so maybe he had more important things to do, but didn't want to disappoint Palmer by turning down the meet.

I dunno, I think some are being a little too hard on him. Not necessarily here, just some comments I've seen on Reddit were a bit overboard.

The guy did not seem super enthused in that video, but it's not like he was rude or anything. He just didn't give Oculus the glowing PR they wanted. It was all set up very last minute from what I've heard, so maybe he had more important things to do, but didn't want to disappoint Palmer by turning down the meet.

I dunno, I think some are being a little too hard on him.

From what I can see how can you be excited to get a Rift, when you dont have a PC capable to use it.

(And I still wonder why you preorder a Rift then...)

Bookoo

I currently have an i5 2500k in my computer. How does that compare to the i5 4590? Would that be considered an equivalent?

You should be fine, that's what I am running (w/ 980ti) and my SteamVR performance rated me as fully ready.

Your graphics card will probably dictate more right now.

viveks86

From what I can see how can you be excited to get a Rift, when you dont have a PC capable to use it.

He received it in his office, because that was his shipping address. He said he doesn't have a capable PC in office.

I dunno, I think some are being a little too hard on him. Not necessarily here, just some comments I've seen on Reddit were a bit overboard.

Yup. Not too surprising. It's easy to be mean and judgmental on the internet.

Frozone

That's all well and good, but I haven't tried the PSVR or the new Rift/Vive. I've tried the GearVR and it doesn't even come close to the DK2. So my skeptism still stands until I've tried them for myself. The numbers mean something. I'm sure when all the hardware has reached reviewers, you'll get a better sampling of opinions. It's almost like saying 720p is not that much different than 1080p. If you sit playing long enough and then switch over, the differences become readily apparent.

Bookoo

Did he say he doesn't have one or he just doesn't have one with him since they delivered to what seems like an office building.

Also he was on IRC where apparently they were trying to bring an Oculus Ready PC, but since it was last minute it didn't happen.

Cyriades

They've done a solid job with PSVR, no doubting that, but you've got to remember that it has 25% less resolved resolution than either Vive or Rift
PSVR has higher subpixel resolution than Rift and Vive.

Rift & Vive: 1080x1200x2(displays)x2(subpixel per pixel): 5184000

PlaystationVR: 1920x1080x3(subpixel per pixel): 6220800

Apparently you can glitch the Vive pre-order page to put yourself in the first April wave, you'll obv need to cancel out your prior order though. From reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4c2nml/i_now_have_an_april_ship_date/

So anyone who has a May ship date and wants to receive one earlier, just go to the Vive order page and download a chrome extension to refresh every 10 seconds, it took me about 30 minutes but eventually april popped up and I got my preorder through.

To cancel your prior order go to www.findmyorder.com

Not gonna try it myself but a few people called up HTC after doing it and were confirmed for April first wave by reps.

I don't think you can calculate resolution like that.

Apparently you can glitch the Vive pre-order page to put yourself in the first April wave, you'll obv need to cancel out your prior order though. From reddit:

Not gonna try it myself but a few people called up HTC after doing it and were confirmed for April first wave by reps.

I hope someway their order gets cancelled.

best_jeppe

Neo Member
I was able to change my payment with HTC by contacting the E-Commerce department and asking for Fernando.

Also, he said I was in the earliest shipment and today would've been my last day to change my credit card without needing to move to a later shipping wave.

So FYI, if you know you need to change payment info and you're early, do it today! Call 866-449-8358, ask for E-Commerce and Fernando and he'll help.

What the hell. I contacted the support because I got a replacement creditcard a week ago because my current will expire in April. Without thinking much about it I activated the replacement card which in turn disabled the card I had used to place my order on the Vive (I placed it within 10 minutes of pre-orders opening). So I contacted the support and asked if they could change the payment method or something which they said they couldnt. I was forwarded to the sales team that called me up the next day that said the same thing.

I was forced to cancel my pre-order and place a new which obviously shifted my estimated delivery from April to May which made me a bit pissed. The guy at the sales team said that he would forward my request to bump me up in the que to the Marketing team (I think it was the Marketing team, something starting with M in any case) and since then I havent heard anything.

I got my "we are processing your email" today so I hope they manage to bump it. Otherwise April is gonna be a long month.

Good for you that they could change your payment method. I hope they would have done the same for me.

UnrealEck

Some people who have tried all three have also said PSVR is noticeably worse looking than Rift or Vive. Not in all areas, but overall worse. I've seen two people describe it as 'grainy' in comparison.

I'm sure we'll have a better idea soon enough. There's just going to be more and more demos of PSVR before October anyway.
It might be a bit cliche but I still put a bit of value in the saying 'you get what you pay for'. I expect PSVR to look a little worse because of its price. But I also accept that it might not necessarily be the case.

Sharp tried doing that to their 1080p TV's a couple of years ago, buy adding sub-pixels this allowed a 'still' 1080p TV accept 4K, but Sharp also announced native 4K TV's. Why's that? Because the 1080p sets were marketing bullshit, so they could flog some more TV's until the true 4K ones were ready.

Sony were wise going with an RGB OLED given their lower res predicament, but ultimately it still won't be as good as the Rift or Vive's screens.

viveks86

What the what. Lol. So that's probably what happened for qa_engineer. Must have been super lucky to hit that narrow window

Cyriades

It's nonsense, I don't know why people keep citing those numbers as if they have any meaning.

Sony were wise going with an RGB OLED given their lower res predicament, but ultimately it still won't be as good as the Rift or Vive's screens.

CV1/Vive's 25% pixel increase over 1080p supposedly improves the image greatly, yet all reviews/impressions put Sony's 1080p screen about on par with CV1/Vive.

That's shit for the people who are in the queue, there won't be enough headsets so there's gonna be people who get shafted. I'm sure HTC can work out who's fucking around right?

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
It's nonsense, I don't know why people keep citing those numbers as if they have any meaning.

Hahaha, they do have meaning. Not the meaning people want them to have.

But then again, as far as overall VR quality, straight resolution doesn't have the same meaning either. Consider the Gear VR's resolution of 1440p. It's nowhere near the best.

It's simple ignorance of what's going on to believe that resolution or subpixel resolution alone determines the quality. Same to ignore subpixel arrangements. Even together these aren't enough to judge the overall quality. Pixel fill and diffusers, optics, framerate, persistence, everything as a whole has CONSIDERABLE weight here.

I'm not a fan of reprojection. Pure brute force FPS is what I like. And I disagree that the move controller is anywhere near as ergonomic as the Rift Touch controllers.

I recommend you don't get into VR at all, then.

Reprojection is being used on MANY titles, Rift and Vive titles include, both purely to reduced perceived latency and to account for frame drops and insufficient framerates. Valve wants to use reprojection on 45fps content for 'good enough' experiences (via GTX 680 and such). So.

UnrealEck

I think I'll just go with the Rift and spend the rest of the cash on a racing wheel and a HOTAS. That way I'm all set for Elite, Valkyrie, Project Cars and a few others. Then I can look forward to Touch in maybe Sept/Oct.

Frozone

But then again, as far as overall VR quality, straight resolution doesn't have the same meaning either. Consider the Gear VR's resolution of 1440p. It's nowhere near the best.

It's simple ignorance of what's going on to believe that resolution or subpixel resolution alone determines the quality. Same to ignore subpixel arrangements. Even together these aren't enough to judge the overall quality. Pixel fill and diffusers, optics, framerate, persistence, everything as a whole has CONSIDERABLE weight here.

I recommend you don't get into VR at all, then.

Reprojection is being used on MANY titles, Rift and Vive titles include, both purely to reduced perceived latency and to account for frame drops and insufficient framerates. Valve wants to use reprojection on 45fps content for 'good enough' experiences (via GTX 680 and such). So.

Nah. I'll keep my preorder. I've owned the DK2 and it was fine for me.

Cyriades

I believe full RGB will show it's advantages at the distance that we are going to be at on these displays. I would have preferred a full RGB display on Oculus/Vive, but in the end, I am more than happy with what we are getting. I still think the display on the CV1 will be slightly better than the PSVR simply because I prefer the increased resolution, but I'm happy that I'll be able to use both and not feel ripped off on the PlayStation side.

I don't want to bash any VR company because everything is still in its infancy and all sides need to succeed for this to get bigger and better. Sony whether you like them or hate them made some pretty intelligent decisions while staying within the limits of the PS4 in regards to the specs on the headset.

As a side note:

Posters with clear bias against any of the major guys are not true VR fans

Zalusithix

Maybe? I've been hearing several reports of the jankiness of Digital River's system in general. Not sure how closely they monitor it.

Digital River has always been awful. I wouldn't bet money on them being able to detect anything.

Still, even that oddity doesn't explain why they'd send out processing emails to every single person though. Generally speaking for a preorder you wouldn't get a processing email until the order was cleared for shipment and they were processing the transaction. Before that you'd only expect the confirmation email. After that the shipping email. Processing potentially over a month before shipment makes no sense. Then again, if this was initiated by DR it all makes sense lol.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What is the likelihood that I could flip a Kickstarter rift for the price of a vive? I was made redundant so I should be being frugal with my money right now. Sensible thing would be to keep the free rift and cancel the vive (wave 1 April). But if I could effectively choose either for no actual cost to myself I'd prefer that. Normally my twisted math would allow me to lose a bit to do that but it really isn't practical this time

obviously the really prudent thing would be to flip the rift *and* cancel the vive, but screw that

Lister

Banned
What is the likelihood that I could flip a Kickstarter rift for the price of a vive? I was made redundant so I should be being frugal with my money right now. Sensible thing would be to keep the free rift and cancel the vive (wave 1 April). But if I could effectively choose either for no actual cost to myself I'd prefer that. Normally my twisted math would allow me to lose a bit to do that but it really isn't practical this time

obviously the really prudent thing would be to flip the rift *and* cancel the vive, but screw that

Pretty good if you're one of the early ones. Hell I might buy ti from you ;)

It depends what you want better game selection now or motion control now. saving you the most in the long run if you want motion would be sell the rift and buy a vive if its a wash. That way you have you have motion controllers free. though tough but good choice either way.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Lol. I hope this is not the way Sony PR calculates the 4k resolution for the new PS4k.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It depends what you want better game selection now or motion control now. saving you the most in the long run if you want motion would be sell the rift and buy a vive if its a wash. That way you have you have motion controllers free. though tough but good choice either way.

Well I'm hoping to try both before deciding. I've demoed the vive and it was amazing, but I want to check out the comfort and optics of the rift. I'd feel a bit bad about selling for a profit (I sold my anniversary Ps4 at cost) but can't be helped

Top Bottom