• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Cyriades

This post is about screen quality (which is debatable). The original quote was just about "visuals". The PSVR is cool, but it cannot compete with a PC as far as graphics go.
Lol. I hope this is not the way Sony PR calculates the 4k resolution for the new PS4k.
Not seen one person say the PSVR has the best looking display.

Subpixels are not the measure of visual information conveyed. It's far more complicated than that, but essentially resolution is more important, regardless of subpixels (because of how PenTile actually works).

I'm leaning more and more irrationally towards keeping both.

giphy.gif

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Subpixels are not the measure of visual information conveyed. It's far more complicated than that, but essentially resolution is more important, regardless of subpixels (because of how PenTile actually works).

Right. So then why did you even post that calculation?

qKaC3K

Valve wants to use reprojection on 45fps content for 'good enough' experiences (via GTX 680 and such). So.

I sincerely hope that they don't! Timewarp (or reprojection) is not some crazy magic trick that enables VR to run on 'low' end machines.

It certainly helps when your game is 5-10% below the 90hz target but it is clearly noticeable when it's below that. And I wouldn't recommend that VR experience to any player.
Even on the 75hz DK2 running around 50fps with timewarp was a kinda bad experience but on the Retail Oculus with the 90hz display running around 45fps is like a nightmare...

85-90fps - you don't notice the dropped frames that much
80-85fps - you start noticing the dropped frames
70-80fps - i would say this is when it's borderline playable - the dropped frames are annoying but you could still enjoy the game
below 70fps - i don't think that you're going to like it

This is my personal experience after playing countless hours in VR.

And more on the subject from Oculus:
https://developer.oculus.com/blog/asynchronous-timewarp-on-oculus-rift/

UnrealEck

I saw a guy saying that the worst cause of motion sickness he gets when using Vive is frame rate drops. He said if it drops even once, he can get motion sickness.
But I don't know if any of this reprojection stuff was in place when he played.

newsguy

Wow the SDE is way less than I thought. The only time I tried a device kit I didn't know which one I had on. They were demoing the Minion 3D ride from universal studios. The screen door was so bad that my eyes were watering. This year I tried a Gear VR at BB. That screen door was also pretty bad. Either these screens aren't accurately showing how bad the SDE is on the Vive, or the CV have way better screens than the one on the Samsung phones.

I'm fully aware I'm getting in on gen 1 consumer tech and it'll be rough around the edges. Probably why I'm going with Vive because it still looks like an IRAD project.

Monger

I was able to change my payment with HTC by contacting the E-Commerce department and asking for Fernando.

Also, he said I was in the earliest shipment and today would've been my last day to change my credit card without needing to move to a later shipping wave.

So FYI, if you know you need to change payment info and you're early, do it today! Call 866-449-8358, ask for E-Commerce and Fernando and he'll help.

Thank you!! I've been trying to get this fixed for 3 weeks. I didn't talk to Fernando, but I was able to get my card number changed by asking for E-Commerce. I had opened up a support ticket a week ago but never did get a call back.

Monger

Entirely fair and well-reasoned.

I went in for the higher priced set because I grew up on X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Wing Commander Armada, Descent: Freespace, Forsaken, Descent, etc. They were among my favorite games ever. I've been waiting for the space shooter genre to return for damn near 15 years. So for me, I knew I was going to like E:D, Star Citizen, No Man's Sky, and whatever else that might follow (like EVE:V) no matter what.

And about 1,500 hours later, I'm still playing ED almost daily so the investment was a wise one. It's almost the exclusive reason why I bought into VR at this stage of its existence (though I'm pleased to have found more reasons).

So how bad is something like the Thrustmaster T-Flight for ED if you want to see if you even like using one? It has a surprisingly high review score on Amazon.

I used to love space shooters but haven't played one in years. I'd hate to add another expensive peripheral to the graveyard of unused purchases. That's cheap enough though that I wouldn't care.

I have a tracking number for my Rift as of about four hours ago. Doesn't seem to be in UPS's system though, so I don't think I'll be getting anything on Monday, but I'm good with Tuesday or Wednesday anyways. Fingers still crossed though.

Edit: Literally just showed up in UPS. Next day air saver, so fingers crossed for Monday after all! If so, I'm taking that day off work to be here to receive it and to start getting familiar with it.

TheRed

I have a tracking number for my Rift as of about four hours ago. Doesn't seem to be in UPS's system though, so I don't think I'll be getting anything on Monday, but I'm good with Tuesday or Wednesday anyways. Fingers still crossed though.

Edit: Literally just showed up in UPS. Next day air saver, so fingers crossed for Monday after all! If so, I'm taking that day off work to be here to receive it and to start getting familiar with it.
Awesome man! Are you a kickstarter backer?

So Oculus is almost here, I am wondering is there a huge beginners guide to VR. What programs should be downloaded. Where do I find all the non gaming VR stuff like virtual tours and rollercoasters. Where do I get my old games to become VR versions?

Basically I want all the stuff the DK guys have been seeing for years now. What should be the first VR experience us new guys have?

If there is a lot of info maybe we can put it into a new thread.

So I'm a 32er, on the chart I saw it basically said I had a low chance at April. My shipping from way back on the 1st said I would be April, think it'll actually happen? I need itttttt, been three years since I tried the Dev Kit 1 at a Convention and that was already amazing.

I'm replying to my own post to say that I saw in the following video that Oculus Cinema DOES support 3D movies (in actual 3D).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PVJpuNGIXM

So, I hope Sony does the same with PSVR. If anyone learns that it will, please let me know. Thanks.

You have to rip your Blu-Rays to play them in the theatre. I can't be bothered to do it, and I'm sure as shit not going to pirate 3D movies I own and risk getting sued. I guess you could SBS with Virtual Desktop though...

Odrion

Banned
So how bad is something like the Thrustmaster T-Flight for ED if you want to see if you even like using one? It has a surprisingly high review score on Amazon.

I used to love space shooters but haven't played one in years. I'd hate to add another expensive peripheral to the graveyard of unused purchases. That's cheap enough though that I wouldn't care.
I got one and returned it in a day. Felt like cheap garbage.

Linkup

So Oculus is almost here, I am wondering is there a huge beginners guide to VR. What programs should be downloaded. Where do I find all the non gaming VR stuff like virtual tours and rollercoasters. Where do I get my old games to become VR versions?

Basically I want all the stuff the DK guys have been seeing for years now. What should be the first VR experience us new guys have?

If there is a lot of info maybe we can put it into a new thread.

Basically just go to the Oculus Home/Store for all Of that. It'll come with the Oculus app that should be available Monday.

For the older demos, Oculus Share, but there will also be a section on the store called Concepts that replaces Share. We don't know yet how much of the stuff on Share will end up on Concepts, some of it is running an older unsupported runtime.

robotrock

Banned
Question about exclusivity stuff:

Are you going to be able to play the Aperture Science demo with an Oculus? Specifically the one where you need to reassemble that robot.

If you can't play that demo with an Oculus, why? Does it need room scale and/or those motion controllers?

Compsiox

Banned
Question about exclusivity stuff:

Are you going to be able to play the Aperture Science demo with an Oculus? Specifically the one where you need to reassemble that robot.

If you can't play that demo with an Oculus, why? Does it need room scale and/or those motion controllers?
No and yes

Basically just go to the Oculus Home/Store for all Of that. It'll come with the Oculus app that should be available Monday.

For the older demos, Oculus Share, but there will also be a section on the store called Concepts that replaces Share. We don't know yet how much of the stuff on Share will end up on Concepts, some of it is running an older unsupported runtime.

You are telling me the official oculus store is going to have everything, I doubt that.

No and yes

I wonder if Touch will be supported by Valve with OpenVR. If it does I don't see why it wouldn't be supported. Fantastic Contraption devs confirmed Touch can do room scale with opposing view points (but is more of a pain with needing USB extenders) and they are supporting that when they release the Oculus version.

You are telling me the official oculus store is going to have everything, I doubt that.

Er...did you miss the part of their post discussing Oculus Share for older demos? It's been the hub for demos for years now. share.oculus.com. Keep in mind a lot of them won't work with the current sdk but sometimes you can still run a good number of them. Also www.wearvr.com has a bunch going back a ways, fast dls there too.

Top Bottom