• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

being able to play Lucky's tale on my dk2 is fucking nuts, makes the wait for the CV1 bearable, game looks amazing! VR IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Onemic

You know what I meant.

VR could make up for the game's flaws in a way a normal display simply can't.

It's a game that relies on immersion, and without VR, it must just be a bad short game.

My point is that they have to review it in VR too. Then they can shit on it from the orbit, if they so like.

They already did

Cartman86

Banned
Next week will finally demonstrate to the gaming community that motion controls and room scale tracking is where it's at. This is as positive as I can be about the Rift.

I'd understand the compliant if they weren't allowed at all.
Certain developers may create applications for Rift using the Oculus SDK that are not distributed through the Oculus platform. While Oculus allows this, applications from such developers have not been reviewed by Oculus for security, comfort, content, or health and safety. We term these applications as coming from 'unknown sources.'
Seems fine.

Yes, if you are shortsighted to a non-trivial extent you'll need to wear glasses (or contact lenses) with all HMDs. You can hope for people creating custom lenses for the HMDs as an alternative.

I haven't really found scratching to be an issue with glasses. What is an issue to me though, and why I prefer using the HMD with contact lenses, is that if you are using glasses it reduces your FoV (since the lenses need to be farther away from your eyes).

Anyone who needs glasses should keep an eye on these guys. They actively post on reddit to let people know that they are planning on a reveal really soon.

http://vr-lens-lab.com/

2.jpg

If they work well then this is probably the first thing on my list as my wife also has the same prescription as me.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
To be fair, GB's shtick these days is to pretty much be negative about everything because that's what Jeff Gerstmann does.

is it? i haven't watched in a long time..they use to have a lot of fun back in the skyrim launch era goofing around videos

Resseh

Yes, if you are shortsighted to a non-trivial extent you'll need to wear glasses (or contact lenses) with all HMDs. You can hope for people creating custom lenses for the HMDs as an alternative.

I haven't really found scratching to be an issue with glasses. What is an issue to me though, and why I prefer using the HMD with contact lenses, is that if you are using glasses it reduces your FoV (since the lenses need to be farther away from your eyes).

thank you.

I hate the idea of contacts - might go for laser eye surgery soon... though that is a scary thing in itself :(

_woLf

is it? i haven't watched in a long time..they use to have a lot of fun back in the skyrim launch era goofing around videos

I'm only half joking. They do like to be overly negative for dumb reasons about a lot of stuff and at times it can be pretty irritating.

I don't think it's a gigantic problem.
If the setting didn't exist, and Steam flat out wasn't allowed, that would suck, and be a gigantic problem.
But there is an option, and this should hopefully be an easy fix for the future.

Yeah this is kind of the opposite of a problem. Their complaint is "you have to press a button once!"

Seriously?

I was joking of course.

But the review really mentioned that distances are hard to judge, so I don't know if it's a problem with the game being rendered in 2d rather than in VR.

I was just complaining that a conventional review doesn't fit well with a VR game released on the day VR opens up to consumers.

I canceled my Oculus order and going with my April Vive. The motion stuff seems like a good additional thing to explore even this early.

Monger

thank you.

I hate the idea of contacts - might go for laser eye surgery soon... though that is a scary thing in itself :(

It's pretty amazing! I was blind without my contacts or glasses. I had lasik, went home and went to bed, woke up 6 hours later and could see perfectly.

If you're in the US, a flexible spending account is a great way to pay for it. Since the money is taken out before taxes, you're saving 20-30%.

So I shifted around what I bought. So I've got the free stuff, plus Pinball FX2, Chronos, Herobound: Spirit Champion and Ethan Carter. Should get a bit more money in a few days and I'll get Adr1ft and probably some other stuff.

With Ethan Carter being a known commodity and Adr1ft getting a slightly lukewarm reaction, I decided on that.

I will be rebuying Dreadhalls when I get a tiny bit more money. It's a shame nothing was cross buy.

Exuro

The problem at the moment is that Oculus have said they are willing to add Vive to the supported list, but both sides seems to be saying the ball is in the other's court. So who knows what the blockage is.
Well from what I understand Oculus wants to support per device, so OpenVR is a no go for them since other devices could use it that they have no control over. I haven't though enough about it to come up with my own opinion but I hope it's resolved in one way or another as I'm leaning towards Vive but would really like to play some of the Oculus Home exclusive stuff.

viveks86

So I shifted around what I bought. So I've got the free stuff, plus Pinball FX2, Chronos, Herobound: Spirit Champion and Ethan Carter. Should get a bit more money in a few days and I'll get Adr1ft and probably some other stuff.

With Ethan Carter being a known commodity and Adr1ft getting a slightly lukewarm reaction, I decided on that.

I will be rebuying Dreadhalls when I get a tiny bit more money. It's a shame nothing was cross buy.

Would love to see Ethan Carter impressions. It just went up my most anticipated list.

It's one click in the settings, and it's not super hidden (I watched it on Giantbomb stream, it was in fact one of the first things they showed).

In any case, it's clear Oculus is trying to put their head in the competitive market of digital distribution. Steam, Epic games launcher? Competitors. The fight for the 30%, I suppose.

The real news is that Tim didn't know about it until today. THAT would mean they had it planned to do but hidden, and in the beta versions the toggle wasn't needed, and today the switched to the consumer version where the option appears and you need to use it.

This may be already known, but are there any differences in Herobound or Dreadhalls from the GearVR versions? As someone that has a GearVR, is there any reason I'd want to double dip?

Bookman

I really hate this character flaw of mine. Suddenly VR 's all I think about . that little game with the squirrel ... I want it. Bad! More than sex and money ( or uncharted 4). To be completely surrounded in the gaming world of Yooka-Laylee must be like to use some happy happy joy joy drug . I just Hope that psvr is good enough.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'd rather put all the money I have to build a good PC in the main unit, and skip the monitor. Will it work? Can I boot my PC directly into the Vive headset?

This may be already known, but are there any differences in Herobound or Dreadhalls from the GearVR versions? As someone that has a GearVR, is there any reason I'd want to double dip?

I just saw them playing Dreadhalls on Rift on GiantBomb. The witch looked better. Everything else looked pretty similar.

Herobound I will let you know once I have it on PC. I'm just presuming better graphics and framerate, but I figured it'll be really cool to be able to lean in closer and stick your head into the rooms more.

Onemic

The GB crew seems to not be that immersed in the demo they're playing. With the one play testing saying he didnt feel claustrophobic at all in the very narrow hallway because hes sitting down with a controller. How much does using traditional controls instead of motion controllers and/or room scale effect the immersiveness of a game?

The GB crew seems to not be that immersed in the demo they're playing. With the one play testing saying he didnt feel claustrophobic at all in the very narrow hallway because hes sitting down with a controller. How much does using traditional controls instead of motion controllers and/or room scale effect the immersiveness of a game?

Dreadhalls scares the pants off me however I've played it. They only ran into one monster though and just let it kill them.

I haven't done room scale myself, but from most accounts tracked controllers+room scale is hugely important for immersion and presence.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

They even talked about how they are tempted to use the right stick for camera movement. Muscle memory is surely hurting the immersion.

Onemic

Definitely. I hope this whole thing doesn't hurt the image of VR as a whole. There is a huge difference between the reactions of the youtubers to Vive and this GB stream.

Maybe this is why Oculus has been pretty mum on promoting and getting their HMD out there to streamers and the press?

n0razi

The fact that people are still getting nausea during motion with the CV1 makes me jump on the Vive bandwagon or I might have to wait till next gen when they figure out how to trick our vestibular system. I couldnt do movement with my DK2 and was hoping it was solved with the CV1

RCSI

The fact that people are still getting nausea during motion with the CV1 makes me jump on the Vive bandwagon or I might have to wait till next gen when they figure out how to trick our vestibular system. I couldnt do movement with my DK2 and was hoping it was solved with the CV1

Depends what people are getting nausea with, as certain games may induce ill feeling easier than others. Really, anything with movement will break from your vestibular system when using any VR system outside of 1:1 tracking.

Nzyme32

It's one click in the settings, and it's not super hidden (I watched it on Giantbomb stream, it was in fact one of the first things they showed).

In any case, it's clear Oculus is trying to put their head in the competitive market of digital distribution. Steam, Epic games launcher? Competitors. The fight for the 30%, I suppose.

The real news is that Tim didn't know about it until today. THAT would mean they had it planned to do but hidden, and in the beta versions the toggle wasn't needed, and today the switched to the consumer version where the option appears and you need to use it.

Yeah. Sensationalism at best.

The crux of the issue this causes is that the majority of casual folks do not flip the switch, or will assume content being blocked is not reliable without further investigation. However, I imagine that is a comparison from platforms that were never truly open to begin with, and PC stalwarts will see such issues and know to switch such a limit off when they need to.

From the guy that posted it though:

So that really screws over WebVR. :( Not quite as bad as the lockdown on GearVR, but I suspect 90% of users will never check that box.

viveks86

The crux of the issue this causes is that the majority of casual folks do not flip the switch, or will assume content being blocked is not reliable without further investigation. However, I imagine that is a comparison from platforms that were never truly open to begin with, and PC stalwarts will see such issues and know to switch such a limit off when they need to.

From the guy that posted it though:

It's literally day one of this generation. By the time casual folks who don't look at all options bite into this, so much would change. I just don't see it worth fussing over just yet, especially with options to workaround

Onemic

It's literally day one of this generation. By the time casual folks who don't look at all options bite into this, so much would change. I just don't see it worth fussing over just yet, especially with options to workaround

I think so, just because it's another mark against Oculus' insistence of creating a completely closed platform within the PC space.

The launch of the Rift today is all about the opening of the Oculus storefront, and introducing an even larger layer of polish to the whole experience. Playing games on a Rift with a traditional controller is going to be exactly the same experience as doing it on a DK2-- except prettier.

Seated VR has been a known quantity for years now. So, I'm not surprised that the vast majority of Rift impressions today are either "playing this with a controller is weird/bad" or "I don't know what VR adds to this experience."

The faster Oculus gets Touch out, the better.

It's Day One, so people can finally start discussing what Oculus does instead of what they say

This is absolutely the time to start fussing over anti-consumer measures. Because we're no longer arguing about hypotheticals and unfinished products. We're arguing about what's actually happening and not "wait and see"

This hypothetical change you speak of only comes from fussing. The status quo has been established. And it's anti-consumer

Zalusithix

The launch of the Rift today is all about the opening of the Oculus storefront, and introducing an even larger layer of polish to the whole experience. Playing games on a Rift with a traditional controller is going to be exactly the same experience as doing it on a DK2-- except prettier.

Seated VR has been a known quantity for years now. So, I'm not surprised that the vast majority of Rift impressions today are either "playing this with a controller is weird/bad" or "I don't know what VR adds to this experience."

The faster Oculus gets Touch out, the better.

On one hand, this'll lend weight to the argument that tracked motion controllers for VR are extremely important outside of select situations. On the other hand, this will give the VR haters more ammunition. "See, I told you it was all crap!"

Top Bottom