• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

This week has shown how few, if any, GAF'ers have Rift's yet and how much they utterly rely on GiantBomb for some baffling reason.
Reddit has been the saviour of actually finding regular user impressions, at least until Palmer stops prancing around and delivers more headsets.

Few people have Rifts yet, which is kind of the biggest problem with this launch.

And reddit has been an utter cluster fuck these past few weeks. I get depressed reading either vive or oculus subreddits with one being an all out flame war and the other a bunch of gloating assholes who feel like one side's failure is their triumph. I'm actually surprised at how level headed gaf has been throughout all of this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finally got the latest Oculus software installed for the DK2 and the whole experience is surprisingly good. Tried Lucky's Tale, Project CARS, Henry, and Blazerush thus far and all of them work flawlessly on DK2. Going to test everything and see what works and what doesn't.

Tak3n

Banned
I honestly think releasing the Rift to market before the touch controllers was a big mistake, as what do you see if you are watching...

you see basic games that are no where near on par with current games (apart from 1 realistically) being played with a controller ...

Vive will get reviewed much better I reckon as it has a bigger USP, and whether the room space turns out to be crap or not it is unique, and the Vive is a situation you can not replicate, so you look at the Rift and you see $600 to play inferior games on a controller (albeit with VR) but that experience alone may not be enough..

or we may see the same 'meh' reaction come April the 5th, but at least Vive has gone a totally unique route and one that can not be replicated by sitting down with a controller however I still think price is king in all of this, and the PSVR will sell far more simply because of that

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Actually, i'll give you that. Wish i could gloat among them.
Its been a very strange, fairly muted, launch.

basically a paper launch at this point

Is there a list of games/software coming for the Vive next week? At this moment I think I'll buy space pirate trainer but some of the best stuff seems to be free
- tilt brush
- fantastic contraption
- Job Simulator
- Valve Lab thing

Not sure what else would be on my shopping list other than hoping for a project cars or dirt rally vive patch.

simonski

It feels a little like abandoning an old friend, but I've cancelled my Rift preorder to go full on HTC Vive. I think once the dust has settled (and the touch controllers have arrived) there'll be little between the two headsets, but there was something about the Vive demo that made VR feel like a new experience again (I'm a DK1 and DK2 owner), and I didn't really want to go back to using the xbox controller, even if only temporarily. Sorry Oculus! I'll be first in line for the CV2 though.

Man

Sony doing an October launch will do them plenty good. It was unlikely the dual-launch of Oculus & Vive with its PC VR civil war, DRM and customer support complaints and developers rushing to release day one wouldn't bring about some major headaches. Better to distance oneself from that and roll in smooth later on.

If there's nothing much in it between the headsets, then it'll come down to whether I want to have the Vive motion controls now versus waiting for Touch. That's going to be a tough decision to make as it seems like Touch is going to be the superior of the two, so it'll really come down to if I need them between the time get my Vive and when the Rouch releases. Decisions!
I suppose if I keep the Vive for a few weeks I can rinse the launch games, and I doubt we'll see a huge amount released in the next six months that take full advantage of them.

Man

That's going to be a tough decision to make as it seems like Touch is going to be the superior of the two
I have seen this stated a few times but never seen any proof of this.
It's subjective ergonomics. Some pointer/thumb finger touch...gestures. Vive suffers less from occlusion problems likely thanks to Lighthouse tracking volume (and knowing everyone has one is big for development).

wazoo

I fear Touch will be seen as a secondary option for Rift devs. They will always have their marketing guys telling to remember that there should be an option for classical controller since this is the default option. And this will hurt gameplay innovation.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I fear Touch will be seen as a secondary option for Rift devs. They will always have their marketing guys telling to remember that there should be an option for classical controller since this is the default option. And this will hurt gameplay innovation.

if you get half the rift owners upgraded to touch, and ideally if Oculus changes to bundle touch by default with the rift later in the year - I think plenty of devs will feel able to target touch only as a control option.

artsi

We haven't heard much from Touch yet, but I don't think we need to worry about tracking considering the good results from the single camera test UploadVR did with CV1.

Two cameras should give very good tracking performance.

cheezcake

So I just pre-ordered a Vive and sent a support ticket to Oculus to cancel my CV1 preorder. Watching these Rift launch games it just became abundantly clear to me that my real interest lies in what actually new experiences VR can provide, and tracked controllers at launch + room-scale deliver that whereas I just don't feel the Rift does. Nor do I feel like waiting for Touch at an unannounced release date and price point given how Oculus has handled this launch insofar.

Rearranging my current computer room means I can get ~2mx3m of unimpeded area, and I also have a spare room downstairs I can move my stuff to temporarily where I can get a dreamworthy 5x5m unimpeded area,

Starviper

FYI for anyone ordering a Vive - if you choose Paypal at checkout, the charge goes through immediately rather than when it ships.

So I just pre-ordered a Vive and sent a support ticket to Oculus to cancel my CV1 preorder. Watching these Rift launch games it just became abundantly clear to me that my real interest lies in what actually new experiences VR can provide, and tracked controllers at launch + room-scale deliver that whereas I just don't feel the Rift does.

Just did the same thing, same feeling as well. Once I got my cancellation confirmation I went ahead and ordered the Vive.

Metal B

If there's nothing much in it between the headsets, then it'll come down to whether I want to have the Vive motion controls now versus waiting for Touch. That's going to be a tough decision to make as it seems like Touch is going to be the superior of the two, so it'll really come down to if I need them between the time get my Vive and when the Rouch releases. Decisions!
One of the Vive-Controller prototypes actually looked exactly like the Touch-Controllers. It would be interesting to know, why Valve und HTC decided against it. I believe, neither will be superior in concept just different. But I still see the Vive ones a little better, simply because of the lighthouse technology.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Paradoxically, a decent Vive performance in terms of sales and decent games sales would help Touch adoption as it will push more devs to develop for motion controls. Also good impressions from Vive games would drive that. If Vive fails for whatever reason I think we will see Touch postponed for CV2.

wazoo

Paradoxically, a decent Vive performance in terms of sales and decent games sales would help Touch adoption as it will push more devs to develop for motion controls. Also good impressions from Vive games would drive that. If Vive fails for whatever reason I think we will see Touch postponed for CV2.

PSVR with move will help too.

Let us wait for the touch price before discussing about adoption rate of a peripheral of a peripheral.

I have seen this stated a few times but never seen any proof of this.
It's subjective ergonomics. Some pointer/thumb finger touch...gestures. Vive suffers less from occlusion problems likely thanks to Lighthouse tracking volume (and knowing everyone has one is big for development).

Well I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone who has used both say they outright prefer the Vive controllers to the Touch, whereas I've definitely seen people say they prefer the Touch controllers.
Occlusion isn't going to be an issue in my setup as I'll only be doing seated and standing with limited room for full movement.
For me it'll come down to which most closely makes me feel like my hands are present, and Touch, on paper, looks like it'll have the advantage.

dumbo

Yes most or all the people I've seen talking control have said Touch is better. It looks better to me.

The problem is that, once again, there's an NDA - technically no-one can say anything about the Touch controllers. (apart from people who've used them in a PR controlled environment)

However, they do look 'better' to me, although I'm not entirely sure whether they are suited to room-scale tracking (fine movements probably requires 2 front cameras).

But, it feels foolish to discuss something under NDA given the last few days. Someone at Oculus needs to take their NDA and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Hearing the opening of the Bombcast reinforces the problem with not getting those preorder units in the hands of people who have never experienced VR before.

Also, when it comes to Giant Bomb, their live stream this week is par for the course when it comes to their hardware live streams. They never look that interested, they usually show excitement for the technology and then caution people that there are no games at launch to really justify putting down money right away.

The only important bit of information to come out of their discussion was hearing Jeff's issues on running a unit on a 2500k.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hearing the opening of the Bombcast reinforces the problem with not getting those preorder units in the hands of people who have never experienced VR before.

Also, when it comes to Giant Bomb, their live stream this week is par for the course when it comes to their hardware live streams. They never look that interested, they usually show excitement for the technology and then caution people that there are no games at launch to really justify putting down money right away.

The only important bit of information to come out of their discussion was hearing Jeff's issues on running a unit on a 2500k.

Agreed. Yet lots of people buy consoles on launch day for the tech and for the potential. Which is the primary reason I'm jumping in day one for VR

00ich

Agreed. Yet lots of people buy consoles on launch day for the tech and for the potential. Which is the primary reason I'm jumping in day one for VR

Really? Did a console ever release with such a weak lineup? The Dreamcast in japan maybe, but that really didn't help it. Usually you have that one title that justifies the system. Is there something like that for the rift yet?

Edit: wait DC hat VF3 at launch...

Really? Did a console ever release with such a weak lineup? The Dreamcast in japan maybe, but that really didn't help it. Usually you have that one title that justifies the system. Is there something like that for the rift yet?

The PS4 launched with little of note. The most notable exclusives were Killzone and Knack, both of which were terrible.

I think the problem with a lot of people is that they are looking at Rift as a game console launch. VR isn't just a gaming platform.

Also, for me playing Elite: Dangerous in VR justifies the system. Dirty Rally justifies the system.

For people getting a Vive, Touch controls will justify the system right out of the gate. For people who have the space Room Scale will justify the system. There is a lot right now that will make people really happy with their purchase.

There is a lot that VR can do.

p2535748

His issues are interesting, because I'm running a 970 and a 2600k, and I'm not having anywhere near the problems he is. In fact, other than the annoying "your computer does not meet the requirements" message, I haven't had much of a problem with any of the games I've tried.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think the problem with a lot of people is that they are looking at Rift as a game console launch. VR isn't just a gaming platform.

Also, for me playing Elite: Dangerous in VR justifies the system. Dirty Rally justifies the system.

For people getting a Vive, Touch controls will justify the system right out of the gate. For people who have the space Room Scale will justify the system. There is a lot right now that will make people really happy with their purchase.

There is a lot that VR can do.

yep. As with any platform launch, YMMV. For me, a silly doodling app (tilt brush) and the most basic space invaders game (space pirate trainer) are almost reasons to buy vive on their own. And one of those you get for free.

edit: This looks pretty cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REUeMxIWvb8

His issues are interesting, because I'm running a 970 and a 2600k, and I'm not having anywhere near the problems he is. In fact, other than the annoying "your computer does not meet the requirements" message, I haven't had much of a problem with any of the games I've tried.

He mentioned that he was running at stock speeds, which is probably the explanation here.

Tadie

Mhh maybe a stupid question.....but do I have to tweak the settings for each game where I use VR?

I don´t want to get sick till I know I have to lower the graphic settings because I do not reach the 90 FPS^^

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Cool! My kid will love this. I would love this too.

Actually it is. GB is lukewarm to most everything. I've stopped looking at them as gaming enthusiasts or even "in the know" and more just jaded dudes who would move to a new career if the opportunity was there.

They had an 11 hours stream showing all the games available at launch. You don't have to take their opinion for granted, but what they showed is what you get. Those are the games, like it or not. A lot of the lukewarm reactions to the games are not because of the GB comments, but because of what was there on the stream.

And again, it was Oculus who choose not to show anything before the launch, which created the audience for this stream.

Mhh maybe a stupid question.....but do I have to tweak the settings for each game where I use VR?

I don´t want to get sick till I know I have to lower the graphic settings because I do not reach the 90 FPS^^

Everything I've tried I didn't have to tweak anything to maintain 90. I've been able to tweak a couple of games a little higher without losing 90, and others I've pushed just a little too high, but I personally like the gain in how the game looks over the occasional framerate drop. People more susceptible to motion sickness will probably not want to do that though.

But Ethan Carter looks soooo much better at 130% resolution scaling than it does at 80%. I'll take the minor stutters. Heck, I wouldn't even notice them if I was using comfort mode as it's only when stick turning and sprinting that they're occasionally apparent.

They had an 11 hours stream showing all the games available at launch. You don't have to take their opinion for granted, but what they showed is what you get. Those are the games, like it or not. A lot of the lukewarm reactions to the games are not because of the GB comments, but because of what was there on the stream.

And again, it was Oculus who choose not to show anything before the launch, which created the audience for this stream.

Agreed. Vacuums are going to be filled, and you can't control what they'll be filled with. That's why you really don't want to leave one. There's a reason I watched Giant Bomb on Monday for the first time since the Kinect launch. They had the coverage I wanted. Oculus could have partnered with someone else likely to be more enthusiastic and done a similar thing a day or two early. They chose not to and it was a mistake.

But there are a ton of positive reviews for the games too. But Rift is under a bus right now in the VR community so those aren't being talked about here. I'm not sure what people expected for the launch? What was so special about the PS4 launch? I've seen GB lukewarm to almost everything as I've stated. Outside of a 5/10 for a game they are all reviewing pretty well.

Of course you should wait if the content doesn't interest you, but downplaying it and not listening/reading to the great personal impressions on reddit and other reviews is disingenuous at best.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But there are a ton of positive reviews for the games too. But Rift is under a bus right now in the VR community so those aren't being talked about here. I'm not sure what people expected for the launch? What was so special about the PS4 launch? I've seen GB lukewarm to almost everything as I've stated. Outside of a 5/10 for a game they are all reviewing pretty well.

Of course you should wait if the content doesn't interest you, but downplaying it and not listening/reading to the great personal impressions on reddit and other reviews is disingenuous at best.

If you feel that the reviews are not discussed enough, you can make a thread for Rift games reviews (I don't think I saw one except for Adr1ft which is not that popular either) and see what people think about them.

But the fact that the reviews of the games or the games themselves are not discussed that much (despite the Oculus threads being very active in the past) should tell you the story about how the games are perceived.

You might have a different opinion, but people have the right to be disappointed. And that's not GB's fault, really.

Edit: plus because of the launch delay, most of the people have nothing to do but search for impressions and watch videos about the games instead of playing them on their own.

Eventually we're going to need a thread in off topic for non-gaming VR applications and other content outside of gaming (no, not porno). I am interested in some of the more abstract content that people may be out there for VR though.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not to brag but this is sort of what I expected, just looking at the install base as well as the initial PS4 launch sales, all those same customers are very likely to be on board, plus some of the ones who have joined since launch. It's an exciting new platform and people are more and more becoming interested in VR. Something like 1-2 million would be a pretty great start and can give devs some more confidence in fully supporting VR knowing there will be a substantial enough market of people to sell to.

Plus VR, perhaps more than any other previous platform, has that lure of wanting to see everything there is, try every new experience. I think if games and apps are priced reasonably they could sell A LOT, a higher attach rate than is normal on a console where people just buy the same range of games they've always done in the past.

I know I for one will want to try everything even in genres I'm not interested in elsewhere, like table top RPG's or something.

You are 100% on target here. Nobody is going to buy a VR headset and be extra picky with the content. If it's priced correctly, we are going buy ALOT of content to prove our purchase to ourselves. More so than a normal new console even.

Onemic

Actually it is. GB is lukewarm to most everything. I've stopped looking at them as gaming enthusiasts or even "in the know" and more just jaded dudes who would move to a new career if the opportunity was there.

It's not like their impressions werent shared by many others in the gaming press, because they were. If the GB stream impressions were an outlier and everyone was praising the hardware and games on release then your point would make sense, but they pretty much stated what a lot of people have felt about the launch and the games.

GB streams in general are pretty good because it's just dudes playing games and not trying to goad the audience to be hyped up about what they're playing. It provides a much more hoenst impression of what to expect out of a game or hardware they're using.

GameSeeker

I think so too. They mentioned several times that certain games and actions would have felt more natural with motion controls. I am expecting them to be much more positive about 'motion controls + VR' with the vive, than they were with 'Xbox controller + rift' - but I do also expect them to be similarly lukewarm about the overall software lineup

I honestly think releasing the Rift to market before the touch controllers was a big mistake, as what do you see if you are watching...

you see basic games that are no where near on par with current games (apart from 1 realistically) being played with a controller ...

I think it's very obvious from all the gameplay videos we now have, that playing VR with an Xbox controller is one of the worst possible methods. You will be excited for a week or so then you will be wishing you had motion controllers.

If you buy a PSVR, buy the move controllers. If you buy a Oculus Rift, buy the Touch controllers. If you buy a HTC Vive, you are set as motion controllers are standard.

My prediction is that VR without some form of motion controllers will go down as a footnote of bad ideas in VR history.

I think it's very obvious from all the gameplay videos we now have, that playing VR with an Xbox controller is one of the worst possible methods. You will be excited for a week or so then you will be wishing you had motion controllers.

If you buy a PSVR, buy the move controllers. If you buy a Oculus Rift, buy the Touch controllers. If you buy a HTC Vive, you are set as motion controllers are standard.

My prediction is that VR without some form of motion controllers will go down as a footnote of bad ideas in VR history.

Dualshock4 is already a motion controller

mckmas8808

Before the GB stream there was this mantra about how Oculus has the best exclusives and more games at launch, plus the whole motion controls staff was rapidly dismissed with statements like how the racing and the space games are the best experiences in VR. Ignoring to mention the fact that they are very very nice, but not with a normal controller. The GB stream, by trying all of the games available, showed that there are actually only a handful of games that are actually above average and even for those playing them with a gamepad in VR is not the best experience.

Why did the GB stream mean so much? Because Oculus has avoided sending Rifts to streamers before launch and had all this secrecy around the hardware (and even the games) and this was the first chance of seeing everything in action.

I was wondering why everybody seems to care SOOOO much about what GB has to say about the Rift.

Tadie

Mhh maybe I will try to play games like BF4 with Virtual Desktop.

Is the gaming performance the same, or do I need the 2D games to run @ 90 FPS with a higher resolution?

Nonetheless do you think this might be a good experience?

GameSeeker

Dualshock4 is already a motion controller

You are correct and Sony did a good of planning ahead with the Dualshock 4. But the move controllers will be even better control for some games for one simple reason. You have two hands and being able to move them independently makes for more intuitive, lifelike gameplay.

Zalusithix

You are correct and Sony did a good of planning ahead with the Dualshock 4. But the move controllers will be even better control for some games for one simple reason. You have two hands and being able to move them independently makes for more intuitive, lifelike gameplay.

Yeah, in this case tracked controllers is basically a way of saying hand tracking. If your hands aren't capable of moving independently like they do in real life, you immediately lose damn near the entire benefit. The point is to move away from abstraction of controls to something more natural. We still have some abstraction of control going on with the tracked controllers due to the inability accurately track and provide feedback to the fingers, but it's far less than what a two handed controller would force.

mckmas8808

Vive will get reviewed much better I reckon as it has a bigger USP, and whether the room space turns out to be crap or not it is unique, and the Vive is a situation you can not replicate, so you look at the Rift and you see $600 to play inferior games on a controller (albeit with VR) but that experience alone may not be enough..

or we may see the same 'meh' reaction come April the 5th, but at least Vive has gone a totally unique route and one that can not be replicated by sitting down with a controller however I still think price is king in all of this, and the PSVR will sell far more simply because of that

So why haven't Gaffers been seeing any of these videogames in VR over the last year? But all of a sudden turned off by them yesterday with the GB livestream?

pj

Banned
Few people have Rifts yet, which is kind of the biggest problem with this launch.

And reddit has been an utter cluster fuck these past few weeks. I get depressed reading either vive or oculus subreddits with one being an all out flame war and the other a bunch of gloating assholes who feel like one side's failure is their triumph. I'm actually surprised at how level headed gaf has been throughout all of this.

I think it's just because so few people here care

basically a paper launch at this point

Is there a list of games/software coming for the Vive next week? At this moment I think I'll buy space pirate trainer but some of the best stuff seems to be free
- tilt brush
- fantastic contraption
- Job Simulator
- Valve Lab thing

Not sure what else would be on my shopping list other than hoping for a project cars or dirt rally vive patch.

Open up steam and filter by vive support. There's only like 4 pages of games so it doesn't take long to look at them all to see which ones are interesting. I think you can sort by release date also.

I have 18 vive games on my steam wishlist. Not all are coming out day one, and not all are ones I'm 100% sure about, but there are probably at least 10 good ones that will be available at launch.

Mine are:
1. Raw Data
2. Unseen diplomacy
3. Cloudlands VR minigolf
4. Waltz of the wizard (free)
5. Brookhaven experiment
6. Hot dogs, horse shoes, hand grenades (more of a tech demo/ very early thing)
7. Job simulator
8. Light repair team #4
9. Space pirate trainer
10. Audioshield
11. Skyworld
12. Arizona sunshine
13. Vanishing realms
14. Thunderbird:
15. Final approach
16. Budget Cuts
17. Fantastic Contraption
18. The Gallery - Episode 1

Plus hover junkers, which I already own because I backed its KS.

I suppose if I keep the Vive for a few weeks I can rinse the launch games, and I doubt we'll see a huge amount released in the next six months that take full advantage of them.

There is also the very real possibility of someone, maybe even HTC or valve, releasing a touch-shaped vive controller. Valve wants to make it very easy for manufacturers to make peripherals and make it very easy for games to use them. Of course that would be another expense to consider..

Zaptruder

Banned

2.5 out of 3 VR platforms have motion control. It'd be foolish to target the 0.5 to the exclusion or detriment of the rest.

Also the games are largely portable between the different platforms with mild modifications.

I mean you'll need non-roomscale traversal anyway in Vive (to accomodate for different room sizes), so it's not like even 'roomscale' games will be limited to Vive only (perhaps with exception of that one game whose solution is to bend the halls and shafts back in on the open space).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think it's just because so few people here care

Open up steam and filter by vive support.

thanks. Its odd that I have some games that say they have VR support but they don't show up under the premade 'steamVR' category

Top Bottom