• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think it's just because so few people here care

Open up steam and filter by vive support. There's only like 4 pages of games so it doesn't take long to look at them all to see which ones are interesting. I think you can sort by release date also.

I have 18 vive games on my steam wishlist. Not all are coming out day one, and not all are ones I'm 100% sure about, but there are probably at least 10 good ones that will be available at launch.

Mine are:
1. Raw Data
2. Unseen diplomacy
3. Cloudlands VR minigolf
4. Waltz of the wizard (free)
5. Brookhaven experiment
6. Hot dogs, horse shoes, hand grenades (more of a tech demo/ very early thing)
7. Job simulator
8. Light repair team #4
9. Space pirate trainer
10. Audioshield
11. Skyworld
12. Arizona sunshine
13. Vanishing realms
14. Thunderbird:
15. Final approach
16. Budget Cuts
17. Fantastic Contraption
18. The Gallery - Episode 1

Plus hover junkers, which I already own because I backed its KS.

This reminds me, I need to update my list.

Tilt Brush
Hover Junkers
Audioshield
Fantastic Contraption
Raw Data
Space Pirate Trainer
Unseen Diplomacy
The Gallery: Call of the Starseed
Job Simulator
Windlands
Budget Cuts
Modbox
A Legend of Luca (this is still a maybe)
Vanishing Realms (probably I will decide on one of these 2 based on impressions/reviews
Irrational Exuberance (still a maybe)
Pool Nation VR (Definitely, hell yeah! Just don't know when it's releasing)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think it's very obvious from all the gameplay videos we now have, that playing VR with an Xbox controller is one of the worst possible methods. You will be excited for a week or so then you will be wishing you had motion controllers.

If you buy a PSVR, buy the move controllers. If you buy a Oculus Rift, buy the Touch controllers. If you buy a HTC Vive, you are set as motion controllers are standard.

My prediction is that VR without some form of motion controllers will go down as a footnote of bad ideas in VR history.

People have said Battlezone with a PS4 controller is very fun.

jay_clark

Neo Member
I did get the 1 - 3 week email. Right now it is showing up as two charges. First to Oculus for $0 and the second as a payment to Oculus of $1. This is through BOA who pending charges always show up a little weird while they clear things. I'm in Dallas TX.

Wallach

I did get the 1 - 3 week email. Right now it is showing up as two charges. First to Oculus for $0 and the second as a payment to Oculus of $1. This is through BOA who pending charges always show up a little weird while they clear things. I'm in Dallas TX.

You do get a $1 hold if you add a CC to the Oculus Store from them verifying it. Did you do that recently?

Lister

Banned
Mhh maybe I will try to play games like BF4 with Virtual Desktop.

Is the gaming performance the same, or do I need the 2D games to run @ 90 FPS with a higher resolution?

Nonetheless do you think this might be a good experience?

There's probably a hit to peformance, it shouldn't be as heavy as runing the actula game in VR, but you're still having to do the environment aorund you.

I don't think it would be a good experience, due to the low resolution of these first devices.

The game will look blurry and pixelated and lacking in detial vs having it on your screen.

That sounds like the type of charge you get for an address update or credit card change.

FALSE ALARM!

The Rift has not launched.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
No idea. I don't even know if I can adjust brightness on the Rift because at no point did I feel like I needed to turn it up or down.

Sorry, late reply here - the (hypothetical) brightness adjustment wouldn't be on the Rift, it would be on the Vive. Since you aren't having any issues, it sounds like that brightness level is fine within the enclosure. The higher potential lux on the Vive would create some room for relatively brighter elements of scenes, similar to the recent push for "HDR" on TVs.

Zalusithix

I know you're probably referencing the "bad ideas in VR history" part of that comment, but there's no reason why it couldn't be fun if designed well. It's a cockpit game which is playing towards the strengths of untracked controllers. It would probably be even more fun with a setup that made you think you were using the controls of a real machine instead of a hand held controller.

The biggest hit to these types of games right now is the resolution of the headset holding them back. It's an experience that can be mostly replicated on a standard screen setup, and at a much higher fidelity. Once VR headsets reach resolution parity, there will be very little reason to ever want to play these types of games without VR.

GameSeeker

Yes, as was pointed out earlier, the DualShock 4 is a motion controller. it can be tracked by the PS camera just like the PSVR headset. So naturally, it's a much better experience than an Xbox controller which is not a motion controller.

You will still want to buy the move controllers for games (e.g., London Heist) that need the ability to use both hands independently.

Durante

Concerning the discussion about input methods above, I just now read the last Kickstarter Update for The Gallery (one of the inaugural VR-only projects) and it covers a lot of information and background on that.

And from people who have been focusing on this topic for the past 3 years or so, so I believe it's worth reading.
It's also interesting how Valve shipping with independently tracked VR controllers basically saved them from targeting a niche within a niche (those who own a Hydra/STEM) with their initial release after failed controller porting attempts.

The only important bit of information to come out of their discussion was hearing Jeff's issues on running a unit on a 2500k.

This is the most concerning issue for me, personally. I have a 980Ti and a 2500k overclocked a little higher than his (he said his was OCed to 4.3) but the performance of EVE he reported is fucking insane. What his performance was (4-5 FPS) vs the reality of what that CPU has been for 5+ years is such a contrast that there has to be something wrong with the game itself.

It's been bothering me all morning and I'm debating on if I should cancel/sell it or not because of it. Can't justify a new PC with the wife (which with motherboard/ram/CPU it would be) as well as the rift, since we've got some other shit to actually do around the house

If you feel that the reviews are not discussed enough, you can make a thread for Rift games reviews (I don't think I saw one except for Adr1ft which is not that popular either) and see what people think about them.

But the fact that the reviews of the games or the games themselves are not discussed that much (despite the Oculus threads being very active in the past) should tell you the story about how the games are perceived.

You might have a different opinion, but people have the right to be disappointed. And that's not GB's fault, really.

Edit: plus because of the launch delay, most of the people have nothing to do but search for impressions and watch videos about the games instead of playing them on their own.

Right, very few of us actually have the games to talk about them.

Concerning the discussion about input methods above, I just now read the last Kickstarter Update for The Gallery (one of the inaugural VR-only projects) and it covers a lot of information and background on that.

And from people who have been focusing on this topic for the past 3 years or so, so I believe it's worth reading.
It's also interesting how Valve shipping with independently tracked VR controllers basically saved them from targeting a niche within a niche (those who own a Hydra/STEM) with their initial release after failed controller porting attempts.

I'm a big fan of Cloudhead and what they've been doing in VR. They've made a lot of breakthroughs that I'm not sure they get enough credit for. Hopefully the history books will reflect things appropriately. I guess that's another way of saying 'Hopefully The Gallery will be a great game' because lord knows bad games that were technically impressive or groundbreaking don't (CF Trespasser).

There are games where I don't mind admitting that I'm waiting for motion controls before playing them. Windlands for example. Since I already backed this and will be getting my copy when it's done... that might not be the case here, but if I was thinking about buying it... I'd wait for motion controllers myself. I'll check it out with pad controls, but depending on how it goes I might file it away for a later day when I've got motion controllers.

This is the most concerning issue for me, personally. I have a 980Ti and a 2500k overclocked a little higher than his (he said his was OCed to 4.3) but the performance of EVE he reported is fucking insane. What his performance was (4-5 FPS) vs the reality of what that CPU has been for 5+ years is such a contrast that there has to be something wrong with the game itself.

It's been bothering me all morning and I'm debating on if I should cancel/sell it or not because of it. Can't justify a new PC with the wife (which with motherboard/ram/CPU it would be) as well as the rift, since we've got some other shit to actually do around the house

Something is up with Eve and CPUs.

https://forums.oculus.com/community...ays-100-after-installing-rift-software#latest

Onemic

So why haven't Gaffers been seeing any of these videogames in VR over the last year? But all of a sudden turned off by them yesterday with the GB livestream?

Because all people had to judge them by was the DK2, which wouldnt be a fair impression? Oculus pretty much went silent with giving the press and streamers access to early versions of the consumer headset.

Durante

I'm a big fan of Cloudhead and what they've been doing in VR. They've made a lot of breakthroughs that I'm not sure they get enough credit for. Hopefully the history books will reflect things appropriately. I guess that's another way of saying 'Hopefully The Gallery will be a great game' because lord knows bad games that were technically impressive or groundbreaking don't (CF Trespasser).

There are games where I don't mind admitting that I'm waiting for motion controls before playing them. Windlands for example. Since I already backed this and will be getting my copy when it's done... that might not be the case here, but if I was thinking about buying it... I'd wait for motion controllers myself. I'll check it out with pad controls, but depending on how it goes I might file it away for a later day when I've got motion controllers.
I don't think there are any pad controls actually. (At least, there aren't any listed on the Steam page)

deadfolk

I don't think there are any pad controls actually. (At least, there aren't any listed on the Steam page)

Steam page shows controller support for me, and I've seen in played with a pad. Think it might have been on the GB stream.

Assuming we're talking about Windlands.

Wallach

What's the difference. And while we are at it, how good is this game?

It includes the Horizons expansion, and I guess some kind of in-game item pack.

As for how good, I dunno myself yet I'm waiting for a HMD to jump in. Seems pretty slick though maybe not for someone that likes faster paced or more directed style games. Looks more like an open ended exploration space sim to me.

Durante

Steam page shows controller support for me, and I've seen in played with a pad. Think it might have been on the GB stream.

Assuming we're talking about Windlands.
No, we were talking about The Gallery. (The context switch is when plagiarize says "Since I already backed this [The Gallery]")

EDIT: I thought we were talking about Gallery: Call of the Starseed for some reason.
I still think so!
Maybe I'm the one who is confused?

It includes the Horizons expansion, and I guess some kind of in-game item pack.

As for how good, I dunno myself yet I'm waiting for a HMD to jump in. Seems pretty slick though maybe not for someone that likes faster paced or more directed style games. Looks more like an open ended exploration space sim to me.

Really? I better read some reviews then. I just want the next xwing game.

"ED can be your X-Wing game until X-Wing comes out. If all you want to do is combat, there's plenty of that and it's pretty fuckin awesome."

I think selling someone Elite when they want X-Wing is doing a pretty big disservice to them.

Elite Dangerous is *not* a mission-based, second-to-second space combat game. It's a sandbox space sim where you go out and make your own fun and it does that very well, but he shouldn't have expectations that are false. If you only want an X-Wing/Freespace type experience ED is not it. If you're open to a sandbox game where you're free to explore and "make your own fun" Elite does that very well. While that does include combat, it does not include hand crafted combat scenarios, cutscenes, and set pieces like you may expect from an X-Wing/Freespace type game.

Jams775

Can someone enlighten me on why a movement system like this wouldn't work?

Say for an open world RPG on the Vive you know how you can normally move around, then if you want to cover more distance, you hold a grip or button or whatever and make a motion like you're moving (right hand up, left hand back) with a little head bob while standing in place. Where ever you point your head plus the direction you swing your hands up is where you move.

Would that not work? I'd imagine pretending you're walking would go a ways to help you feel like you are actually walking, but since this hasn't been implimented, I assume it doesn't work.

Onemic

So is Project Cars the only good racing game that would be worth buying for VR? Last racing game I bought was GT4 and anything that is around that level of quality would be amazing with VR I think. I dont know why wheels are so damn expensive vs HOTAS setups though....Seems like Im gonna have to spend 550+ bucks to get a decent wheel.

Say for an open world RPG on the Vive you know how you can normally move around, then if you want to cover more distance, you hold a grip or button or whatever and make a motion like you're moving (right hand up, left hand back) with a little head bob while standing in place. Where ever you point your head plus the direction you swing your hands up is where you move.

It would work if you implemented it, but it doesn't seem like pretending to cross country ski is a very enjoyable way of playing a game.

So is Project Cars the only good racing game that would be worth buying for VR? Last racing game I bought was GT4 and anything that is around that level of quality would be amazing with VR I think. I dont know why wheels are so damn expensive vs HOTAS setups though....Seems like Im gonna have to spend 550+ bucks to get a decent wheel.

Dirt Rally is awesome in VR (DK2).

Another no-brainer in VR is Live for Speed. Crazy good implementation already with DK2.

You can get decent wheels at decent prices, on pc at least.

Would that not work? I'd imagine pretending you're walking would go a ways to help you feel like you are actually walking, but since this hasn't been implimented, I assume it doesn't work.

I would straight up refuse to do that.

I'd say DIRT RALLY is a better racing game

Alexlf

What I've always thought would be a neat locomotion implementation would be small scale redirected walking.

Allow the player to point to a location and set a marker. Then, as the player walks, adjust the scene so that it forces them to walk in shortish circles to reach the marked destination.

They'd definitely feel the turning, but I think the realism it adds might be worth it.

If I get time I may put together a demo in unity once my Vive comes in.

Onemic

Dirt Rally is awesome in VR (DK2).

Another no-brainer in VR is Live for Speed. Crazy good implementation already with DK2.

You can get decent wheels at decent prices, on pc at least.

Im currently looking at the G29 by logitech. I'd want one that's also compatible with the PS4, especially if I decide to also pick up a PSVR down the line. Ive used a cheap wheel before many years ago(that thrustmaster Ferrari wheel) and it was absolutely terrible. One of the main things I immediately disliked about it was that you cant do 2 rotations with the wheel like a real-life one. In fact you cant even do one full rotation, only 35% of a full rotation if I remember correctly, as it was many years ago(Got it as a christmas present for Ridge Racer Type 4 back in 2000)

Can the G29 even do full rotations or is it also limited?

Top Bottom