• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Im currently looking at the G29 by logitech. I'd want one that's also compatible with the PS4, especially if I decide to also pick up a PSVR down the line. Ive used a cheap wheel before many years ago(that thrustmaster Ferrari wheel) and it was absolutely terrible. One of the main things I immediately disliked about it was that you cant do 2 rotations with the wheel like a real-life one. In fact you cant even do one full rotation, only 35% of a full rotation if I remember correctly, as it was many years ago(Got it as a christmas present for Ridge Racer Type 4 back in 2000)

Can the G29 even do full rotations or is it also limited?

think its full 1080 degrees. I'm looking at that, the thrusmaster T150, or possibly the T300RS which is a little more expensive.

Onemic

think its full 1080 degrees. I'm looking at that, the thrusmaster T150, or possibly the T300RS which is a little more expensive.

G29 it is then.

I'll check out some impressions on dirt rally, even though rally games were never my thing. I assume that with VR it definitely could be though.

gmoran

So is Project Cars the only good racing game that would be worth buying for VR? Last racing game I bought was GT4 and anything that is around that level of quality would be amazing with VR I think. I dont know why wheels are so damn expensive vs HOTAS setups though....Seems like Im gonna have to spend 550+ bucks to get a decent wheel.

Thrustmaster T150 is ace, £130, PC and PS4

Vive stuff -

New Hover Junkers trailer

Realities.io's photogrammetry is changing lives.

The Gallery: Call of the Starseed trailer cometh.

lhjhbB9.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
can you buy a gear shift attachment?

yeah its compatible with the TH8A manual shifter, but the standard pedals only have three pedals. You can update them with T3PA pedals though (might be able to buy some used from people that have updated to the pro pedals)

"ED can be your X-Wing game until X-Wing comes out. If all you want to do is combat, there's plenty of that and it's pretty fuckin awesome."

I think selling someone Elite when they want X-Wing is doing a pretty big disservice to them.

Elite Dangerous is *not* a mission-based, second-to-second space combat game. It's a sandbox space sim where you go out and make your own fun and it does that very well, but he shouldn't have expectations that are false. If you only want an X-Wing/Freespace type experience ED is not it. If you're open to a sandbox game where you're free to explore and "make your own fun" Elite does that very well. While that does include combat, it does not include hand crafted combat scenarios, cutscenes, and set pieces like you may expect from an X-Wing/Freespace type game.

As one who grew up on X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Freespace, Forsaken, Falcon 3.0, Hornet, Descent, and Wing Commander, I very confidently stand by my statement. It is most certainly capable of tiding one over. Living proof right here. It doesn't have to be a perfect match. Go jump in a Conflict Zone with a capital ship and the sound up and tell me your itch isn't being scratched.

Thankyouverymuch.

I think Table Tennis might be the perfect sport for VR. Everything about it, is such a way as to be very suited to a virtual representation. The size of a ping pong table is something that can fit in a room scale/CV1 camera range. The sensation of hitting a ping pong ball with a paddle can be mimic'd by rumble in the motion controller combined with the sound of the hit. You move around but not THAT much.

I want a hardcore table tennis sim badly. I'd preorder a Vive right now if there was one available/ soon to be available.

Durante

I know that many people see it as one of the most enticing room-scale games, but I'm actually not convinced by Hover Junkers. It feels like their method of dealing with the locomotion problem could still lead to motion sickness.

I guess ultimately the more of your FoV is taken up by the hovercraft the "safer" it becomes.

(Edit: this is in reply to the new trailer above, not completely out of the blue)

I don't think there are any pad controls actually. (At least, there aren't any listed on the Steam page)

Blame me for not keeping fully up to date with the game. Originally it was going to have gamepad controls too. Heck, I've played a build that way on my DK2. But looks like you're right and that it's no longer the case.

So my choice to wait to play it with motion controls is less a choice than I thought. No complaints though.

Soi-Fong

Dayummmmm

This has been up on the dev repository for us for a while. It's incredible really. Some of the textures can get real blurry up close, but looking at the overall environment in VR is amazing. There's still a lot of detail there.

The bombed out school or whatever is eerie to be in. I loved this though.

Hoo-doo

Banned
To me, the most interesting VR idea shown so far that actually works great are the simulated tabletop games. They are unique, VR actually adds something and it's a genuinely new way to experience these games.

Imagine The Sims in VR where you can build this amazing home from scratch on a simulated desk or table. Where you can peek through the windows to see everyone doing their thing. Using motion controllers to place objects and furniture.

All these traditional games with VR support bolted on have so far shown to be incredibly lackluster. The good games simply require that they are developed for VR from the ground up. Let's hope Vive does better.

To me, the most interesting VR idea shown so far that actually works great are the simulated tabletop games. They are unique, VR actually adds something and it's a genuinely new way to experience these games.

Imagine The Sims in VR where you can build this amazing home from scratch on a simulated desk or table. Where you can peek through the windows to see everyone doing their thing. Using motion controllers to place objects and furniture.

All these traditional games with VR support bolted on have so far shown to be incredibly lackluster. The good games simply require that they are developed for VR from the ground up. Let's hope Vive does better.

yes, Sim City and The Sims on a table top or floor in VR or AR seems like a reason to throw money at someone to get it done.

viveks86

This has been up on the dev repository for us for a while. It's incredible really. Some of the textures can get real blurry up close, but looking at the overall environment in VR is amazing. There's still a lot of detail there.

The bombed out school or whatever is eerie to be in. I loved this though.

Hope it catches on so we tour the world in VR

And then the universe...

Zalusithix

I know that many people see it as one of the most enticing room-scale games, but I'm actually not convinced by Hover Junkers. It feels like their method of dealing with the locomotion problem could still lead to motion sickness.

I guess ultimately the more of your FoV is taken up by the hovercraft the "safer" it becomes.

(Edit: this is in reply to the new trailer above, not completely out of the blue)

The ship is basically a gigantic cockpit acting as a stationary frame of reference. It wont be any worse than any other cockpit game. That and good portion of the game is shooting while stationary (or mostly so) which is done in room scale.

"ED can be your X-Wing game until X-Wing comes out. If all you want to do is combat, there's plenty of that and it's pretty fuckin awesome."

I think selling someone Elite when they want X-Wing is doing a pretty big disservice to them.

Elite Dangerous is *not* a mission-based, second-to-second space combat game. It's a sandbox space sim where you go out and make your own fun and it does that very well, but he shouldn't have expectations that are false. If you only want an X-Wing/Freespace type experience ED is not it. If you're open to a sandbox game where you're free to explore and "make your own fun" Elite does that very well. While that does include combat, it does not include hand crafted combat scenarios, cutscenes, and set pieces like you may expect from an X-Wing/Freespace type game.

Well I am open to all kinds of games but I want objectives of some kind. When you mean free to make your own fun is it just a sandbox or is there a goal, start middle and end.

deadfolk

I would pay cash money for The Sims in VR.

And then never play it, cos that's apparently what I do with The Sims. But it would be an awesome game I wasn't playing.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Just another reason to hope Tabletop simulator will get it's VR support this year. Unity 5 is in beta right now, I think it's one of the big step they wanted to make before VR, so maybe it's no longer that far from happening.

I'm sure it can be pulled off with unreal4 and look damn good

Onemic

yeah its compatible with the TH8A manual shifter, but the standard pedals only have three pedals. You can update them with T3PA pedals though (might be able to buy some used from people that have updated to the pro pedals)

I'll just go with the G29 then. It has everything I need in one package.

The ship is basically a gigantic cockpit acting as a stationary frame of reference. It wont be any worse than any other cockpit game. That and good portion of the game is shooting while stationary (or mostly so) which is done in room scale.

A key thing too that doesn't come across really from this trailer is that your junker doesn't turn, it just hovers in Cartesian directions, front to back and side to side as it were. This allows for full exploration of the environments without motion sickness from artificial turning. It's a pretty clever solution imho.

Zalusithix

A key thing too that doesn't come across really from this trailer is that your junker doesn't turn, it just hovers in Cartesian directions, front to back and side to side as it were. This allows for full exploration of the environments without motion sickness from artificial turning. It's a pretty clever solution imho.

This is true, and I didn't think to mention it. In addition, some of the ships have had canopy type overhangs incorporated into their designs to further bolster the "cockpit effect" and reduce the chance of motion sickness for those easily susceptible to it.

Durante

Right, that's what I thought. So like with cockpits, the larger the amount of space taken up by the frame of reference the less prone to sickness it will be.

This is true, and I didn't think to mention it. In addition, some of the ships have had overhangs incorporated into their designs to further bolster the "cockpit effect" and reduce the chance of motion sickness for those easily susceptible to it.
That's actually what I thought those were for when I watched the video. Makes sense.

cakefoo

Can someone enlighten me on why a movement system like this wouldn't work?

Say for an open world RPG on the Vive you know how you can normally move around, then if you want to cover more distance, you hold a grip or button or whatever and make a motion like you're moving (right hand up, left hand back) with a little head bob while standing in place. Where ever you point your head plus the direction you swing your hands up is where you move.

Would that not work? I'd imagine pretending you're walking would go a ways to help you feel like you are actually walking, but since this hasn't been implimented, I assume it doesn't work.
The forces felt when moving laterally need to be there as well.

Walkabout may be the best locomotion solution to date. My favorite phrase when discussing VR is, time will tell.

I really wonder how long it will take for anyone to mod Vive support to Oculus Home. I mean when was the official release of the Vive? In a few days?

"Go jump in a Conflict Zone with a capital ship and the sound up and tell me your itch isn't being scratched."

My itch isn't being scratched. Thankyouverymuch.

"Well I am open to all kinds of games but I want objectives of some kind. When you mean free to make your own fun is it just a sandbox or is there a goal, start middle and end."

It's just a sandbox. The goal is to reach "Elite" status. Your path to getting there is entirely up to you, there is no predetermined path or route to that. There is no escalating storyline with a finale. When it comes to combat you either repeat the same generic missions, go to "Conflict Zones" which are open combat areas, or pirate/bounty hunt the AI/players. That's being mildly reductive, but it is not an experience that has a start/middle/end with rising tension and some kind of climactic ending. That doesn't make Elite: Dangerous a bad game, but it is a decidedly different kind of game from X-Wing. If that still interests you, you should still try it. I just think you should know what it actually is and make a decision based on that.

Monger

I'd have to see how it works out when the community gets playing it, but at least in the gameplay videos I've seen there has been less driving around than how the trailer made it appear since the shootouts involved moving around your platform and using cover.

With the hovercraft and relatively short bursts of locomotion it might not be bad.

Melon Husk

Dayummmmm

Neat, but half his reaction is coming from the fact that he's never travelled outside of the US.

I hope they begin capturing these areas' impulse responses to get realistic audio too. You could then apply reverb to your own voice too. Then add a co-inhabited experience so you can travel with friends. And then...

Walkabout may be the best locomotion solution to date. My favorite phrase when discussing VR is, time will tell.

Phwroaaar that is a near-complete solution for slow-paced walking.

viveks86

Neat, but half his reaction is coming from the fact that he's never travelled outside of the US.

I hope they begin capturing these areas' impulse responses to get realistic audio too. You could then apply reverb to your own voice too. Then add a co-inhabited experience so you can travel with friends. And then...

I actually watched it on mute and I'm still blown away by its potential.

Melon Husk

I actually watched it on mute and I'm still blown away by its potential.

I'm not sure, but I think they only have basic positional audio effects (like the piano).

It will be interesting to see if people prefer to hang out in photorealistic places or something more fanciful.

Durante

I'd have to see how it works out when the community gets playing it, but at least in the gameplay videos I've seen there has been less driving around than how the trailer made it appear since the shootouts involved moving around your platform and using cover.

With the hovercraft and relatively short bursts of locomotion it might not be bad.
Yeah, it will probably work well for the vast majority of people at least.

I realized that the trailer might overemphasize hovercraft movement after watching a gameplay video.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I think if Star Citizen ends up finally adding VR support and finishes Squadron 42 this year, its gonna be space pilot nirvana

I don't like the constant stopping and starting and the boundaries being shown so much. It feels like it'd really break the feeling of immersion.

artsi

These look very good, I was just oggling the Vive pre-order page..

Watching the Realities.io video, does the "laser beam" you point with usually start from the middle of the ring in the controllers? It seems hard for the wrist if you want to point it straight forward or downwards.

I'd like it if the beam was more like a pistol, if you know what I mean.

Hover Junkers makes me regret not getting in on the vive day 1 preorders.

Especially now that I'm sitting here kinda wishy washy about the rift due to the xbox controller being the primary controller out of the box and for the forseeable future (and with how shipping the actual unit goes, I dunno if I want to go through this shit again when the touch controllers are available)

dang that looks cool

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So why haven't Gaffers been seeing any of these videogames in VR over the last year? But all of a sudden turned off by them yesterday with the GB livestream?

I think the Vive viral marketing thru Youtube sites over the last couple months has changed the average new VR consumer's perception of what to expect.(people like me)
So much that watching GB's stream..was like....oh...its alot of ok/average indy videogames and a handful of good video games....thats it..there was one segment that stood out as awesome that was the AirMech demo. the rest was eh ok.

Look at Nodes,Tested, Tribal Instincts videos..they're all having so much fun, thats the magic people are willing to pay 800dollars for.
Look at the Nodes budget cuts video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dVaembmgc
Its pure awesome
and even abbots book which looks to be a pretty lowbudget horror game they make it look fun and I want to play it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYKOPzEYgDs

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is true, and I didn't think to mention it. In addition, some of the ships have had canopy type overhangs incorporated into their designs to further bolster the "cockpit effect" and reduce the chance of motion sickness for those easily susceptible to it.

Isn't it coop though so someone else can be moving the ship while you're shooting? I can imagine that isn't great for motion issues

Zalusithix

These look very good, I was just oggling the Vive pre-order page..

Watching the Realities.io video, does the "laser beam" you point with usually start from the middle of the ring in the controllers? It seems hard for the wrist if you want to point it straight forward or downwards.

I'd like it if the beam was more like a pistol, if you know what I mean.
Looks to me that the beam is in line with the controller handle. So it fires like a remote or laser pointer, not like a pistol. Since it's a pointing tool and not a weapon, I think this is fine.

Isn't it coop though so someone else can be moving the ship while you're shooting? I can imagine that isn't great for motion issues

It can be coop, but it doesn't need to be. You can pilot your own ship just fine. Either way, the fixed frame of reference remains, and it doesn't ever actually turn so the most problematic issue for nausea isn't there. If it turns out that not having full control of the ship causes you to have nausea issues, then leave coop alone. Or just look at the floor until your partner tells you it's OK to look up again. ;)

I would love a detective game where you control it normally (analog sticks), but then when you get to an "investigation scene," it switches to room-scale and you can move around looking for evidence/clues.

artsi

Looks to me that the beam is in line with the controller handle. So it fires like a remote or laser pointer, not like a pistol. Since it's a pointing tool and not a weapon, I think this is fine.

Yeah, I was just thinking about ergonomics, but no one has mentioned it (I think?) so maybe it's fine.

I'm really considering pre-ordering a Vive now.

Top Bottom