• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I would love a detective game where you control it normally (analog sticks), but then when you get to an "investigation scene," it switches to room-scale and you can move around looking for evidence/clues.
a classic alone in the dark style game where you move thru the rooms of an old mansion with little combat more about tension and atmosphere would be stellar

Exuro

The forces felt when moving laterally need to be there as well.

Walkabout may be the best locomotion solution to date. My favorite phrase when discussing VR is, time will tell.
Just saw this and it's pretty cool. With a larger space you could do 90 degree rotations instead. Seems like it would feel less teleporty than systems like the gallery uses. Definitely interested in trying it out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The forces felt when moving laterally need to be there as well.

Walkabout may be the best locomotion solution to date. My favorite phrase when discussing VR is, time will tell.

If that works well I could almost see myself wanting an L-shaped play area, with one long corridor in my room, which is position myself in when wanting to move long distances when exploring

I think the Vive viral marketing thru Youtube sites over the last couple months has changed the average new VR consumer's perception of what to expect.(people like me)
So much that watching GB's stream..was like....oh...its alot of ok/average indy videogames and a handful of good video games....thats it..there was one segment that stood out as awesome that was the AirMech demo. the rest was eh ok.

Look at Nodes,Tested, Tribal Instincts videos..they're all having so much fun, thats the magic people are willing to pay 800dollars for.
Look at the Nodes budget cuts video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dVaembmgc
Its pure awesome
and even abbots book which looks to be a pretty lowbudget horror game they make it look fun and I want to play it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYKOPzEYgDs

Damn it, I got the wrong VR helmet. That's amazing.

Hale-XF11

I think the Vive viral marketing thru Youtube sites over the last couple months has changed the average new VR consumer's perception of what to expect.(people like me)
So much that watching GB's stream..was like....oh...its alot of ok/average indy videogames and a handful of good video games....thats it..there was one segment that stood out as awesome that was the AirMech demo. the rest was eh ok.

Look at Nodes,Tested, Tribal Instincts videos..they're all having so much fun, thats the magic people are willing to pay 800dollars for.
Look at the Nodes budget cuts video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dVaembmgc
Its pure awesome
and even abbots book which looks to be a pretty lowbudget horror game they make it look fun and I want to play it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYKOPzEYgDs

These are the type of VR experiences I want. Oculus can keep their seated gamepad experiences.

Damn it, I got the wrong VR helmet. That's amazing.

Just an FYI. It's strongly rumoured to be coming to Touch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4a44jy/tested_lets_play_vr_htc_vive_demos/d0y5gh6?context=3

Rift support isn't confirmed yet - we do have the kit though and will start experimenting with it shortly after GDC :)

By all accounts budget cuts is a standing 360 game. A 180 teleport would presumably be an easy solution to make it a standing 180 game for people that don't have opposing sensors... but we'll see what comes out of their work with the Touch dev kits.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
and to be fair it sounds like Budget Cuts is a fall release so Oculus touch might be out when the full game is out.
But i do think this open access to these early demos on the Vive by sites like Nodes has really amped up the expectations alot.

cakefoo

I don't like the constant stopping and starting and the boundaries being shown so much. It feels like it'd really break the feeling of immersion.
Guess you gotta pick your poison until something better is discovered. Teleportation feels like hacking and can be disorienting/confusing, and thumbstick/touchpad inputs cause a physical disconnect and potentially cause nausea.

With Walkabout, you're never disconnected physically, just looking at two things at once- it looks intuitive right away, so that's a plus too. I suppose it will vary depending on the play area size/how frequently you have to reorient.

A lot of people seem excited for omni treadmills, but according to Alex from StressLevelZero, they aren't very fulfilling because leg movements without actual world forces associated with lateral movement still create a physical disconnect.

cakefoo

Just saw this and it's pretty cool. With a larger space you could do 90 degree rotations instead. Seems like it would feel less teleporty than systems like the gallery uses. Definitely interested in trying it out.
90-degree rotations would work, but you'll just have to do a 180 once in a while so your cord doesn't get super twisted. The floating particles apparently guide you on the best way to rotate.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
How did I miss what could probably be the best social VR video so far? I will build parties around such games. It's pure awesome indeed..

ya everyone one of their Vive demo videos is a hoot, its that Buddys having fun vibe that makes it infectious , but tested and others all seem to have the same level of fun too so its not just the crew..but they really demonstrate how much fun these games can be in a group situation.

Faith

MDbe01N.gif

FoV mistery solved. Still higher FoV with the Vive?

pj

Banned
I would love a detective game where you control it normally (analog sticks), but then when you get to an "investigation scene," it switches to room-scale and you can move around looking for evidence/clues.

I had this exact idea as well. All they have to do is remake condemned in VR

harz-marz

Remember, the HTC Vive also does all the seated VR experiences too.

The minimum space you need is roughly 1.5m x 2m for room scale.

Yeah that is true. I would have to lug my PC down to my living room and I don't know if I want to do that. These videos are making me have second thoughts though about the Rift!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
http://vrscout.com/news/bandai-namco-vr-arcade-tokyo/

Bandai Namco announced that they’re opening a virtual reality center of their own in Tokyo, next month!

The arcade center is being called “VR Zone: Project I Can,” and will open its doors from April 15 to mid-October.

The goal of the VR project will serve as a way for fans to get a taste of VR experiences with the HTC Vive and serve as a testing ground for Bandai Namco to get feedback from their various games that will be available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jx2YWzxvbs

Is interesting to see Bandai Namco so on board with this.

MDbe01N.gif

FoV mistery solved. Still higher FoV with the Vive?

Not necessarily accurate. From Reddit,

You are using a near-field image on the Vive (the small robot repair room) which would have inward parallax and then comparing it with an Oculus image that is aligned on a skybox, i.e. far field and no inward parallax between views.

Why not just look at the projection matrix values in the SDKs to check the individual and combined view FOVs of each headset?

Your image is also using the barrel distorted view of the Oculus mirror but the undistorted Vive mirror (the roundness in the vive view is the stencil/early-z reject mask, used to save resources on areas of the screen not visible through the lenses, not a post distortion view).

The whole thing is a completely invalid technique. Like comparing someone's IPD when they are looking at their nose vs when they are looking at the moon through coke bottle lenses.

(Edit: I'm not saying it ultimately came to the wrong conclusion, but it was basically "cut and paste science" methodology of overlapping undistorted (Vive images), counter-distorted (Rift barrel distorted images, viewed through the lens a pincushion distortion happens and undoes it), and fisheye distorted (camera 180 degree rico theta lens views) images in a way that isnt very convincing: we're trying to get these values down to a few degrees.

Get the SDK values and you have an easy upper bound on both; I can do it for Vive if you'd like but not Rift until I get my CV1 (unless it is available in the Rift SDK without plugging in the Rift; lots of stuff has moved to precompiled libraries over time so I didn't look hard for it)).

tl;dr: It uses variables that haven't been verified and makes several assemptions that might turn out to not be true.

TLDR, The person who made that gif is not using the same strict scientific method that the person who originally made the FOV measurements did.

Evo X

The more content I see for both the Vive and Rift, along with the attitude of the companies, makes me hyped for Vive and want to flip the Rift.

Sucks cause I've been a huge supporter of Oculus for years and was one of the first people to get a DK2.

Ok, since things are a bit slow atm, I thought I'd share that with you, Gaf.
5oHr8yT.jpg

My first contact with VR, London, 1993 if memory serves me right. Had been facinated by VR for many years, was collecting newspaper articles about it. It was only thanks to a school trip that I ended-up finaly trying it.
That game I'm playing on the picture was a 4 players, robots with jetbacks fighting in an arena type of thing. Also tried a seated mech fighting game. The teenage me was very impressed, despite the, even for back-then standards, shitty graphics. 20+ years later, my main memory is how small the headset's lenses were (smaller than a cap of beer really).

viveks86

5oHr8yT.jpg

My first contact with VR, London, 1993 if memory serves me right. Had been facinated by VR for many years, was collecting newspaper articles about it. It was only thanks to a school trip that I ended-up finaly trying it.
That game I'm playing on the picture was a 4 players, robots with jetbacks fighting in an arena type of thing. Also tried a seated mech fighting game. The teenage me was very impressed, despite the, even for back-then standards, shitty graphics. 20+ years later, my main memory is how small the headset's lenses were (smaller than a cap of beer really).

Haha. "The experience of a lifetime". What did VR feel like back then? Did you actually feel any presence? Wish I had the opportunity to try them out back in the day

Josman

Vive looks amazing, I've been thinking about getting a rift because of the lower entry price but the whole included lighthouse system seems too good, it's those kind of experiencies I'm looking forward to, I wouldn't be able to wait for Touch and I have doubts about it working so flawlessly

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
The more content I see for both the Vive and Rift, along with the attitude of the companies, makes me hyped for Vive and want to flip the Rift.

Sucks cause I've been a huge supporter of Oculus for years and was one of the first people to get a DK2.

what attitude? They are going through a launch, snags are bound to happen. Even with PSVR, something will pop off.

jack....

5oHr8yT.jpg

Dactyl Nightmare was my first experience with VR too. I played it at some bar at the Mall of America. It was awesome.

Haha. "The experience of a lifetime". What did VR feel like back then? Did you actually feel any presence? Wish I had the opportunity to try them out back in the day
Well, memories really have washed out. But gameplay-wise, I thought that game (from the picture) was a bit of a mess, had a much better experience with the other, seated one (a mech game, with a wheel and pedals where your head was acting as a turret). In the end, guess the main satisfaction came from finaly trying it rather than the experience itself (quick play in an arcade).

EDIT: cabinet for the mech game was that one I believe
12496.jpg

Dactyl Nightmare was my first experience with VR too. I played it at some bar at the Mall of America. It was awesome.

Sadly ,that's not the game I'm playing on that pic. I knew about Dactyl nightmare from press cuts, but all I got was a rather crappy flying robots arena fighter.

Zalusithix

5oHr8yT.jpg

Hah, that looks like the thing I strapped into as a kid at the state fair once around the same timeframe. Can't say I remember anything about the actual experience other than it impressed my child self. Certainly more so than the seated "VR" experience that popped up years later at the fair which was nothing more than a non-interactive screen strapped to your face.

viveks86

Well, memories really have washed out. But gameplay-wise, I thought that game (from the picture) was a bit of a mess, had a much better experience with the other, seated one (a mech game, with a wheel and pedals where your head was acting as a turret). In the end, guess the main satisfaction came from finaly trying it rather than the experience itself (quick play in an arcade).

EDIT: cabinet for the mech game was that one I believe
12496.jpg

Nice! :D

Onemic

yeah its compatible with the TH8A manual shifter, but the standard pedals only have three pedals. You can update them with T3PA pedals though (might be able to buy some used from people that have updated to the pro pedals)

hm, Im reading that the gear shifter add on for the G29 is crap so I'm back to square one. I might actually just go the T150 route and get the shifter and pro pedals.

Why does getting the most outta VR gotta be so expensive :(

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Just saw this gif on r/oculus, thought I'd share. Would love to play something like this.

tWIIzAr.gif

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jx2YWzxvbs

Amazing!
Just wondering why they added extra sensors on the headset (edit: I see it's on their shoes and on the kitty dumy also, so for relative position of all these things to eachother?)

Is the arcade center that Bandai Namco is opening, I linked the story here:

http://vrscout.com/news/bandai-namco-vr-arcade-tokyo/

Bandai Namco announced that they’re opening a virtual reality center of their own in Tokyo, next month!

The arcade center is being called “VR Zone: Project I Can,” and will open its doors from April 15 to mid-October.

The goal of the VR project will serve as a way for fans to get a taste of VR experiences with the HTC Vive and serve as a testing ground for Bandai Namco to get feedback from their various games that will be available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jx2YWzxvbs

Is interesting to see Bandai Namco so on board with this.

iceatcs

Amazing!
Just wondering why they added extra sensors on the headset (edit: I see it's on their shoes and on the kitty dumy also, so for relative position of all these things to eachother?)
Well it will need your feet to be tracked for balance on the wood padding, hence it rather own tracking system. It seem for arcade designed anyway.

Just measured the space in my office for Vive and it runs ~2m x ~2m if I shift a chair around.

I do have some shelving right on the border of that space. A little concerned about punching or pushing a virtual something while at the edge of the play area and knocking over, say, the Star Wars figures precariously perched on said shelves. Guessing I'll have some lessons with setting up the safe area vs. play area and/or look for a larger, less cluttered space.

viveks86

Hm. So do I buy Ethan Carter on Steam, assuming they'll provide an Oculus Store code for free when they can?

You can't buy the VR version on steam yet. They plan to release VR version as $10 DLC this week ("hopefully") on top of the base game ($19.99). Or you can get it for $29.99 on Oculus Store right now. Don't think they've said anything about Oculus store keys for steam purchases.

So am I going to have to re buy this for the THIRD time for Vive Support?

Already own both the standard and Redux versions.

You just need to get the $10 DLC, when it's out. And why did you buy the redux version if you already had the standard? I got that for free!

Top Bottom