• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

How long do you guys think it will be until we get vr gloves?

Have not tryed any vr device yet, but seems to me the interactions in game with something like vr gloves will massively improve the immersive feeling.

I'm sure a third party will make some in the not too distant future, but I can't see them being an official Oculus/Valve input. There's a lot of potential advancement in motion controllers first to add more utility to them.

gmoran

hm, Im reading that the gear shifter add on for the G29 is crap so I'm back to square one. I might actually just go the T150 route and get the shifter and pro pedals.

Why does getting the most outta VR gotta be so expensive :(

The T150 with the in box pedals and the paddle gear shift is very good (paddle shifters in particular) and is probably more representative of a pro racing car or hyper car anyway. If its not enough then upgrade the pedals and add a gear stick later.

Compsiox

Banned
VR is keeping me up so late at night. I'm always looking for more VR news or games. As much as I love it I hope getting my headsets will slow this down cause it takes a lot out of me.

VR is keeping me up so late at night. I'm always looking for more VR news or games. As much as I love it I hope getting my headsets will slow this down cause it takes a lot out of me.

This week has been rough for that. Switching to daylight savings at the same time didn't help either.

Tadie

I want to buy Elite Dangerous. But with 26€ it´s not really cheap.

Maybe I just could buy Elite Dangerous Arena for about 7€?

May I get a good VR experience with the small version?

I want to buy Elite Dangerous. But with 26€ it´s not really cheap.

Maybe I just could buy Elite Dangerous Arena for about 7€?

May I get a good VR experience with the small version?

You know...I'm not sure if Arena has the full VR feature set. Thing about Arena is that it's multiplayer only AFAIK, so you're ability to play would be secondary to finding enough people in matchmaking for a match.

Tadie

You can get it for 14.15€ on a key seller site.
Or go to allkeyshop and you can check the best prices. That's for the regular Elite without Horizons.

Thanks, I will have a look at it :)

Mhh so many great VR games at launch.

@ NeoGAF

Which games will you buy?

artsi

I thought Vive support on Oculus Home was down to Valve and HTC giving over hardware access or something.

Yeah, basically Oculus wants to have a direct SDK -> hardware access for best performance, and total control over the features.

Valve wants to route everything through Steam and OpenVR on top of Oculus SDK, so basically two API's like they've done with OpenVR -> Oculus support.
HTC probably doesn't have anything against hardware access, as they only sell hardware, but they're partnered with Valve so it complicates things.

I don't think either of them is wrong here, both have their interests... They just need to come to an agreement that benefits both of them. I hope it happens.

I thought Vive support on Oculus Home was down to Valve and HTC giving over hardware access or something.

It won't be sorted for some time. They're essentially jockeying for the pole position Store front for all of VR. The stakes really couldn't be higher. The headsets are really just the trojan horses for these two companies, IMO. Both Valve and Facebook know a little something about being the defacto leader in a market for a platform. That's money that prints itself.

IMO, right now it is in Facebook's best interest to keep the Vive, OSVR and other competitors out. Their burgeoning storefront would be crushed under the weight of Steam with all of its features, sales and volume of content. Once they're a bit bigger and stronger, maybe they can reconsider it. But believe that they'd sooner open the store up to everyone than let the store die anchored to the Rift. It's the store that is the most important here.

For Valve I think the interest is less complex at the moment: they want to be on the Oculus store. It will help them sell Vives which currently have a competitive hardware advantage and they know they can outduel Facebook right now in features, community and sales if not presentation and polish. The sooner the better. They also want to see OpenVR become the option of choice for all HMDs because of SteamVR. OpenVR support means SteamVR support means you can buy from Steam.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In the and it's also a matter of what will the developers do. If the PC VR market is not utterly dominated by Oculus (and it might not be as we thought it would, following the latest developments) the developers will decide which stores to support and will see if it makes financial sense to develop for two stores and two SDKs when one supports both HMDs and the other just one.

cheezcake

Here's what the SDK ToS says:

In order to maximize your enjoyment, safety, and overall experience through our Services, the Runtime may only be used with Oculus approved hardware devices and with software developed using the Oculus Rift Software Development Kit, as specified in the Oculus Rift Software Development Kit license agreement.

So it's pretty much just totally at the mercy of Oculus. But honestly I think it's HTC/Valve that doesn't really want to cooperate.

Note: The rest of this is pure conjecture.

If they want to make Vive work on the Oculus store that means supporting the Oculus SDK in full. Developers then see that the Oculus SDK can now cover all the major headsets available, so there's no point in programming with more than one SDK. So it effectively becomes an openVR vs Oculus SDK question in the minds of devs, from the looks of things the Oculus SDK is quite a bit more mature at this point so it would be pretty reasonable for devs to choose to use it. But then their games can only release on the Oculus store, which is the important part, Valve isn't in this for hardware profits but to expand Steam's userbase.

Oculus on the other hand, I can't really see why they wouldn't want Vive working on their storefront, unless they're going for an Apple-esque walled garden approach where they want full hardware/software oversight to maximise quality of experience at expense of user control.

UnrealEck

If they want to make Vive work on the Oculus store that means supporting the Oculus SDK in full. Developers then see that the Oculus SDK can now cover all the major headsets available, so there's no point in programming with more than one SDK. So it effectively becomes an openVR vs Oculus SDK question in the minds of devs

That seems to be the root of the problem there.
Why didn't Oculus just use OpenVR? They want more control and compatibility over their own hardware?
I see people on reddit claim Oculus SDK gives Rift 9ms latency whereas SteamVR it'd be 20ms.

artsi

Why didn't Oculus just use OpenVR? They want more control and compatibility over their own hardware?

OpenVR isn't actually open source, so Oculus would be on the mercy of Valve adding features and optimizations. As you can think that's a bit problematic when Valve also has their HMD with HTC, so there's a conflict of interest.

Currently Oculus has stuff like Asynchronous Timewarp and audio specific things in their SDK that Valve hasn't implemented to OpenVR.

cheezcake

I see people on reddit claim Oculus SDK gives Rift 9ms latency whereas SteamVR it'd be 20ms.

Heany555 though, can't trust much of what that guy says. Last concrete numbers I heard were months ago though, I think it was 20.5ms on openVR and 16ms on Oculus w/ timewarp (not asynchronous). I imagine now that both headsets are out in the wild we'll get some more concrete numbers very soon.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
In the and it's also a matter of what will the developers do. If the PC VR market is not utterly dominated by Oculus (and it might not be as we thought it would, following the latest developments) the developers will decide which stores to support and will see if it makes financial sense to develop for two stores and two SDKs when one supports both HMDs and the other just one.

i feel like the more spit down the middle the market gets, it seems the more its gonna be in interest of smaller developers to just support openvr since they know it will work on all headsets.

look at Assetto Corsa basically saying ok we will bring vr to our game..and it probably won't be just on rift but its gonna have to wait till the summmer to give it the time it needs.
Adr1ft ...same kinda thing with a Vive support announcement this week.

Zalusithix

Oculus on the other hand, I can't really see why they wouldn't want Vive working on their storefront, unless they're going for an Apple-esque walled garden approach where they want full hardware/software oversight to maximise quality of experience at expense of user control.
They do want that, or at least something close to it. That's why you have to enable outside software sources and they retain full control over what hardware has access to the Oculus SDK. Supporting the Vive via OpenVR basically opens the hardware gate because OpenVR isn't hardware locked. They don't want that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
requires some crystal ball gazing - but what do people think of the chances of Xbox 1.5 supporting oculus rift if they get a 970 class GPU in there? MS seems to have a decent relationship with Oculus, they are pushing this whole PC/Console synergy stuff at the moment, and they don't have an in-house VR solution to combat PSVR with.

Zalusithix

requires some crystal ball gazing - but what do people think of the chances of Xbox 1.5 supporting oculus rift if they get a 970 class GPU in there? MS seems to have a decent relationship with Oculus, they are pushing this whole PC/Console synergy stuff at the moment, and they don't have an in-house VR solution to combat PSVR with.

Don't see it happening myself. Oculus wants their own store as software is where the profits are. Being on Xbox gives them nothing other than hardware sales, and they lose all their curated garden control of software. Meanwhile Microsoft would be ceding hardware control to a single third party. That's not where they want to be either. The closest I can see is MS making a set themselves and have a partnership with Oculus where their headset is supported on the PC in the Oculus store (and their own).

Should it even require an app in the first place? Phones (Android at least - I don't pay attention to the Apple side) have the ability to interface with other devices for calls and text messages straight from the OS via BT.

I'm assuming it has some special features that go beyond simply noting an incoming call. But I guess we'll find out soon enough. Hey maybe HTC phones won't need an app at all!

Cyriades

980 ti will average me out at 11

That chart wasn't lying. Got my 980 ti today

msi.png

iceatcs

Most looking forward is the number of break objects due VR, especially smashed TV screen.

I think I saw one smash the TV with touch controllers few moment ago.

Exuro

Most looking forward is the number of break objects due VR, especially smashed TV screen.

I think I saw one smash the TV with touch controllers few moment ago.
Yeah I need to come up with some sort of light weight barrier to cover my entertainment center or something.

Jams775

What's the deal with Vanishing Realms coming out of nowhere? There's no information on it other than it's being made by an original Valve employee, impressions on Tested, a couple of images and a launch day release? Is this some amazing secretive game or just a single level experience? Irritating!

It's going to launch in Early Access, stay there 4-8 weeks, then Chapter 1 will reach shipping version: http://store.steampowered.com/app/322770/

no idea about further chapters though

Cool, that wasn't there when it first went up.

My credit card just got hit in the USA. LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOO.

$878.74 shipped to Virginia. So excited between this and the Force Awakens video release. Next week will be glorious.

I have the Rift pre-ordered. I'm I making a huge mistake? There's just so much negativity floating around, but the reviews seemed to be solid.

The Rift plays well with SteamVR?

What's the deal with Vanishing Realms coming out of nowhere? There's no information on it other than it's being made by an original Valve employee, impressions on Tested, a couple of images and a launch day release? Is this some amazing secretive game or just a single level experience? Irritating!

It's going to launch in Early Access, stay there 4-8 weeks, then Chapter 1 will reach shipping version: http://store.steampowered.com/app/322770/

no idea about further chapters though

Bsigg12

I have the Rift pre-ordered. I'm I making a huge mistake? There's just so much negativity floating around, but the reviews seemed to be solid.

The Rift plays well with SteamVR?

It's a great headset, it's just lacking must have software and the motion controllers at the moment. They have finally updated SteamVR to kinda work with the Rift. Seems like it is something that needs a little more love from Valve.

Top Bottom