• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Just got done playing with the 1.0+ SDK and oculus home and games, for the first time, on my DK2. I must admit I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen so far. Most everything is so smooth! This must be all that ATW action. I recently got a 970 and I was playing with some DK2 games on it and they weren't running so well. I was starting to get nervous. Not nervous now. Oculus's min 90 fps requirement is great. Forces the developers to optimize the game more. I like not having to mess with graphics settings to get things to run good. Just start the game and it just works.

It's super easy to pop in and out of games. Way better than SteamVR's current incarnation.

I played VR Tennis Online and Adr1ft. VR tennis makes me want my table tennis sim with motion controls way more.

I've got a i5 4670k OC'd to 4.2 Ghz, gtx 970 stock OC, 8GB RAM, Win 7

I did feel a little bit of eye strain, but I'm going to chalk that up to the DK2 and most likely not perfect IPD setting.

Honestly, the experience with the DK2 was so good that I wondered a couple of times whether or not I even need the CV1.

Zaptruder

Banned
Not necessarily accurate. From Reddit,

TLDR, The person who made that gif is not using the same strict scientific method that the person who originally made the FOV measurements did.

It's not a pixel accurate view of FOV - but it is good enough to show that FOV isn't nearly as bad as initially thought by the single eye view, and that there's a reason that people have been reporting that CV1 and Vive are comparable.

Ultimately that latter point is what matters most, even though it's most subject to subjectivity. Because actual FOV always changes due to specifics of individual and use (their IPD, how far their eyes are from the lens, the adjustability of the headset).

I'd say that post was FUD (even though it's technically accurate) that Vive fanboys have been clinging onto in order to maintain ... FUD about the FOV - because while the actual results will probably vary slightly from what's shown, it is certainly far more accurate to the perceptual reality then showing off a single eye from the Oculus... unless you only have one good eye :p

Zalusithix

Almost jumped out of my chair when I saw an email from HTC. Turned out to be a survey... :'(

Haha, the customer service feedback email. Though I did actually take a minute to fill it out since my call was exceedingly quick and had (what sounded like) a native English speaker on the other end. So used to CS being outsourced to some overworked Indian call center with people I can hardly understand.

Exuro

90-degree rotations would work, but you'll just have to do a 180 once in a while so your cord doesn't get super twisted. The floating particles apparently guide you on the best way to rotate.
This is a good point and something I didn't think about. I'm really excited to see the different implementations people come up with for room scale traversal.

viveks86

Haha, the customer service feedback email. Though I did actually take a minute to fill it out since my call was exceedingly quick and had (what sounded like) a native English speaker on the other end. So used to CS being outsourced to some overworked Indian call center with people I can hardly understand.

LOL. Somehow I always end up with an American, Asian, Latino or Filipino. Rarely Indian. Accents are fun! :D

Just played Albino Lullaby with Steam VR on my CV1. Sound isn't working for some reason, so I'm rebooting. Glad to see this working though, plus it seems to run better than it was on my DK2 (had to opt into the beta branch mind, which I hadn't done before).

Nice to see Steam VR working though.

Melech

Had a rift on preorder but put in a ticket to cancel my order and ordered a Vive instead. Roomscale and hand controls is what I want in VR. I don't want half measures for VR.

Fantastic Contraption is enough to make anyone see how amazing roomscale and hand controls is.

It's not a pixel accurate view of FOV - but it is good enough to show that FOV isn't nearly as bad as initially thought by the single eye view, and that there's a reason that people have been reporting that CV1 and Vive are comparable.

Ultimately that latter point is what matters most, even though it's most subject to subjectivity. Because actual FOV always changes due to specifics of individual and use (their IPD, how far their eyes are from the lens, the adjustability of the headset).

I'd say that post was FUD (even though it's technically accurate) that Vive fanboys have been clinging onto in order to maintain ... FUD about the FOV - because while the actual results will probably vary slightly from what's shown, it is certainly far more accurate to the perceptual reality then showing off a single eye from the Oculus... unless you only have one good eye :p

Well, respectfully, I don't think that wanting an actually accurate comparison is FUD (though I can certainly see how an insecure individual could take it that way) and I don't think that is what that guy was trying to do with his post. In fact if you read on, he even offered his help to the other guy in order to create an accurate comparison.

I also don't see that quote used often or at all really outside of the respective threads. Though I will admit that I don't forum quite as hard as it seems like a lot of you guys do lol.

Zalusithix

Oculus' decision to not launch with the Touch controllers has certainly caused a momentum swing towards the Vive. If the launch goes smoothly shipping wise and the games get favorable impressions by the media, HTC could be in a far more competitive position than I would have ever initially imagined.

So on one hand, while I'm not happy with the way Oculus decided to launch its system for the adoption of VR as a whole, it might have provided the key to a more balanced distribution in the PCVR market.

Bsigg12

That's an odd testing methodology. How well does it deal with occlusion when the front of the HMD isn't facing the camera?

There are IR emitters on the back of the headstrap as well. Besides being a bit awkward, it at least shows that the sensor can track pretty well in space. Adding a second sensor plus the Touch controllers should work out well besides the damn Rift cable being kinda short.

That's an odd testing methodology. How well does it deal with occlusion when the front of the HMD isn't facing the camera?

Unlike the Vive it has tracking sensors on the back of the headset so the Rift can handle 360 degree tracking with a single sensor (Vive requires both lighthouses active and in opposing viewpoints to get 360 degree tracking -- not really a problem mind you, just pointing out the tech differences).

oculus-rift-rear-LEDs.jpg

The second sensor for Rift is to handle occlusion of the Touch controllers. Headset shouldn't be an issue right now.

There are IR emitters on the back of the headstrap as well. Besides being a bit awkward, it at least shows that the sensor can track pretty well in space. Adding a second sensor plus the Touch controllers should work out well besides the damn Rift cable being kinda short.

I believe they said it was 12 feet? It's not too terrible tbh, and you could always get extenders if need-be. However, just goes to show that Rift is certainly not designed for large play spaces even if the tech can support it.

To me, what really might suck is that the Rift doesn't have that breakout box, meaning if you accidentally trip on a cable it's going to be yanking the USB/HDMI port directly on your PC instead of the ports on the breakout box like the Vive (which are likely meant to take that punishment and let the cables out pretty easily).

Animator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyNKR_-uKfs

It's their room-scale room. Has a pretty big volume.

Goes to show that even if oculus supports room scale it is nowhere ready for it without chaperone. Dude hit his head twice while testing in a minute. If oculus released room scale support for this and someone walked into a glass cabinet head first they can sue. I don't expect room scale from this version of rift. Maybe with cv2 when it has chaperone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Goes to show that even if oculus supports room scale it is nowhere ready for it without chaperone. Dude hit his head twice while testing in a minute. If oculus released room scale support for this and someone walked into a glass cabinet head first they can sue. I don't expect room scale from this version of rift. Maybe with cv2 when it has chaperone.

Chaperone should be easy to add with a software update. Valve said they'd add it for rift to steam VR

Wallach

I'm sure that when they release the Touch they are going to more aggressively display in-game bounds through the SDK. That is something that doesn't really rely on a camera.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm sure that when they release the Touch they are going to more aggressively display in-game bounds through the SDK. That is something that doesn't really rely on a camera.

They should add it now. Chaperone is t just useful to stop you bumping your head, it's useful to know where the edges of the trackabke space is, so still relevant for current rift users

I have mixed feeling about chaperone, or rather the grid that pops up in the SteamVR implementation of it. I absolutely see the need for it when you're moving around, but it'll be interesting to see what people with spaces on the smaller side of the room scale requirements think of it popping up over the game world frequently and what that does for immersion.
I kind of wish it was a bit more subtle.

Sevenfold

Even with it over the last couple of days I've people striking objects with the controllers when they swing past their borders and of course people trying to look through the floor. All are funny, they should be giffed it would make a great thread. I love the alarm that happens to go off when this guy headbutts the chair though haha.

I have mixed feeling about chaperone, or rather the grid that pops up in the SteamVR implementation of it. I absolutely see the need for it when you're moving around, but it'll be interesting to see what people with spaces on the smaller side of the room scale requirements think of it popping up over the game world frequently and what that does for immersion.
I kind of wish it was a bit more subtle.

It can be completely customized. color, transparency, pattern, design.

Regardless, it's better to have chaperon than...the alternative. https://twitter.com/danielf823/status/715430514706882560

Krejlooc

Banned
Why wouldn't they be able to implement something like Chaperone into the Oculus Rift?

The way chaperone works is two fold. First, you calibrate your room using the controllers. SteamVR asks you to hold the controllers at different points in the room. Because it can track the absolute position of those points in 3D space, it creates a boundry of your play area using those positions as references. If it detects your controllers or headsets approaching those positions, it will overlay a grid representing your area onto the VR display.

Oculus can support that no problem. In fact, once touch launches, it'll automatically be supported in Steam.

The other half of the chaperone is the pass-through camera on the vive headset itself. It goes a step further, allowing you to call up a representation of the real world that overlays on top of the VR display, either automatically as you near the bounds of your defined space, or manually at the press of a button, with varying degrees of mixture. This opens up some AR possibilities as well. On top of that, when you bring up the real world, one tracker becomes sort of a handicam, with a floating, clear window from the camera.

Oculus cannot support this because it lacks a camera. Perhaps in the future a mountable camera like Leap Motion might enable such functionality, but nothing is announced thus far.

artsi

Alright, I've decided that I'll go for Vive.

The most important reason was that I need the HMD to work with glasses, and Rift doesn't look too hot on that front. I don't like the way Oculus has managed this release, not including the eyeglass interface and not telling anyone about it. Also just a general lack of communication makes me uneasy.

The lighthouse tech + motion controls + camera / chaperone are also a big plus, of course.

I might miss the exclusive games, comfort and integrated headphones, but like I've said... they don't really matter if I can't wear the HMD because I need glasses :p

I will get Rift too later, and hopefully the alternative interface will be available then.

Last few days have taken me for a ride. I've gone from having a Rift preorder, to also having a Vive preorder and agonizing about canceling the Rift, to being more or less sure that I'll keep both.

It's only money I guess.

elyetis

Because you need a camera in front of your headset. Maybe CV2 will support it.
Only if you want chaperon to show you the 'reality' when you get close to the bounds, you really don't need the camera to have a Chaperon-like system in place with virtual wall appearing.
Not that it isn't better to have one.

artsi

Only thing I'm worried about getting Vive is that I love racing sims, but Project Cars and Assetto Corsa won't have Vive support at least yet. Hopefully at least PCARS will add it soon, I wouldn't count on Kunos considering their attitude.

Bsigg12

Because you need a camera in front of your headset. Maybe CV2 will support it.

Na, that's simply for the pass through option. You could still implement a system that you set your play space boundary with the Touch controllers and it brings up something like a "Edge of Play Space" warning or something. I do expect Oculus to have something to that affect in the Oculus software when the Touch controllers launch later this year.

Compsiox

Banned
Only thing I'm worried about getting Vive is that I love racing sims, but Project Cars and Assetto Corsa won't have Vive support at least yet. Hopefully at least PCARS will add it soon, I wouldn't count on Kunos considering their attitude.

Come on mang what about the VRKarts

RemiLP

How long do you guys think it will be until we get vr gloves?

Have not tryed any vr device yet, but seems to me the interactions in game with something like vr gloves will massively improve the immersive feeling.

Zaptruder

Banned
Well, respectfully, I don't think that wanting an actually accurate comparison is FUD (though I can certainly see how an insecure individual could take it that way) and I don't think that is what that guy was trying to do with his post. In fact if you read on, he even offered his help to the other guy in order to create an accurate comparison.

I also don't see that quote used often or at all really outside of the respective threads. Though I will admit that I don't forum quite as hard as it seems like a lot of you guys do lol.

FUD is fear uncertainty and doubt. So it's a lot easier to say FUD even though it sounds kinda funny. It's not an internet term either.

Even if the intent of that specific poster wasn't to spread FUD - it is likely the intention behind the majority of upvoters upvoting that post (i.e. the photographic comparison of one lens/screen is valid still, despite the gif showing that there is significant horizontal offset with two lens/screens in play) - given the broader context surrounding that post and thread at the time.

There's merit to accurate comparisons - but one should qualify clearly when there's a greater misunderstanding to be had by invalidating the slightly inaccurate comparisons. Otherwise the intent is murky, and at best can only be interpreted as a sloppy reading of the current popular understanding in which one is trying to further inject their opinions and knowledge.

Anyway... I'm happy to blast Oculus for their failures, so long as it's accurate and reasonable!

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4cod8y/rift_needs_chaperone/d1k55oq

Compsiox

Banned

Have not tryed any vr device yet, but seems to me the interactions in game with something like vr gloves will massively improve the immersive feeling.

How would holding nothing improve immersion?

Bsigg12

We're a ways out. Until they can somehow simulate the feel of something within the gloves, they're about as useful as something like NimbleVR or some other hand tracking camera solutions.

Top Bottom