• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
New banners.

iBIbjWLeaJ4SN.jpg

ibmVq34crkeF35.jpg

icaVMKyPht0ye.jpg

iUnSaWwSU7TDc.jpg

TCRS

Banned
lol. They want people to buy the standard edition first, but everyone knows there is a SEE coming, so what's the point?

Loxley

lol. They want people to buy the standard edition first, but everyone knows there is a SEE coming, so what's the point?

Some people like me are too weak to hold off until an EE hits and will just end up buying both. Silly, really.

I hope United Cutlery gets the license again for The Hobbit.

I need Orcrist to finish off my collection of wall hangers. (And Boromir's sword, and Theoden's, and Legolas' daggers... Gimli's axe...)

Really just need Orcrist though!

Loxley

New rumor about The Hobbit's run-time via TheOneRing.net:

A few lucky people on our Hobbit discussion board who live in Norway reported today that, after standing in line in freezing cold temperatures for days, their efforts have been rewarded with tickets for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey! The movie opens in many theaters in Norway with a midnight showing at 12:12 a.m., Wednesday, December 12. Tickets are currently on sale for both 2-D and 3-D showings.

Perhaps more exciting for those of us who aren’t lucky enough to live in Norway, member Carne tells us that two separate theaters in Norway report a running time of 2 hours, 44 minutes. Another member, painjoker, corroborated that with the observation that some folks who had been invited to a showing of the rough-cut in the theater he was standing in line at were inside the theater approximately three hours. Mithrandir also reported they’re allowing about three hours and ten minutes between showings, so that would also corroborate a 2:44 running time. By definition, if it is a rough cut being shown now, the running time could still change slightly, but 2:44 seems to be the consensus at the moment.

Tickets to the movie will go on sale in the U.S. on November 7. Two hours an forty-four minutes of Hobbit goodness will be coming to a theater near all of us soon, but ‘patience’ is the word of the day for those of us who have to wait until the 7th of November for our tickets!

I won't be able to see it till the 15th since I'll be busy on the 14th. I will be seeing this multiple times though. At least three times. Something like 3D, non 3D, and Imax.

What is happening with the 48fps showings by the way? Are they still going ahead everywhere or is it going to be limited?

Number45

What is happening with the 48fps showings by the way? Are they still going ahead everywhere or is it going to be limited?
Limited I thought, not all cinemas will have the hardware for it. Hoping this will be my first IMAX viewing (don't think I'll get the chance for Skyfall this month).

where's me soundtrack samples, it has been too long Mr. Shore, last we met you were making better music for a Twilight flick than it deserved.

Limited I thought, not all cinemas will have the hardware for it. Hoping this will be my first IMAX viewing (don't think I'll get the chance for Skyfall this month).

Ah I see. Wouldn't mind seeing it in both formats if possible. It'll be my first IMAX viewing too actually!

Neil Finn of ‘Crowded House’ provides the end title song for An Unexpected Journey

According to Peter Green, at this website, a song by New Zealand musician Neil Finn will be used during the end credits of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Finn has recorded extensively, as a solo artist and also with bands such as Split Enz and Pajama Club; he is perhaps best known as lead singer and guitarist with Crowded House. We don’t yet know anything more about this song, but will update as soon as we do! Given that all three end credit songs for the Lord of the Rings movies were performed by women, it will be exciting to hear a male voice at the end of the first Hobbit movie. The soundtracks for Fellowship of the Ring and Return of the King were released at the end of November in their respective years, but the Two Towers soundtrack didn’t come out until 10th December 2002; let’s hope we get an end of November release date for the Unexpected Journey soundtrack!

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/201...the-end-title-song-for-an-unexpected-journey/

Mobius 1

I am still amazed at how good Gollum looks in the trailer. The subletly of Serkis' acting comes through it like it wasn't possible in LOTR.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I am still amazed at how good Gollum looks in the trailer. The subletly of Serkis' acting comes through it like it wasn't possible in LOTR.
Still not convinced it'll top the animated Hobbit's Gollum as the definitive take on the character apart from Tolkien's own writing of course.

Ainaurdur

Edmond Dantès;42995673 said:
Still not convinced it'll top the animated Hobbit's Gollum as the definitive take on the character apart from Tolkien's own writing of course.

"Bless us and splash us! Food! ...for my Precious!"

Edmond Dantès;43011008 said:
New Radagast poster.

poster-affiche-the-hobbit-radagast.jpg

Hmm... Monarch butterflies in Middle-earth (Europe).

Reminds me of the terrible art from the 70s where all the flowers and shrooms and freaky colors were trying to force their way into the magic of Middle Earth.

But at least here it is alright, I can accept this.

And a comment on the reported length of AUJ, you guys realize 2h 44m is actually 14m shorter than the theatrical FotR? I am glad to hear that it will be as long as it is, I feared they might cheat us with a time closer to 2 hours.

Platy

Edmond Dantès;43011008 said:
Hmm... Monarch butterflies in Middle-earth (Europe).

It is a movie with dwarfs and dragons.... it can be a fairy or something like that and you are doing regional biology ?

Loxley

I'm really excited to see Radagast's house, looks pretty interesting from what we've seen of it. Likewise for Beorn's (which probably won't be until film 2 now).

Altazor

And a comment on the reported length of AUJ, you guys realize 2h 44m is actually 14m shorter than the theatrical FotR? I am glad to hear that it will be as long as it is, I feared they might cheat us with a time closer to 2 hours.

You know, I hadn't thought of that, and you're right. I forgot that FOTR was almost 3 hours long, so this seems fair.

Ainaurdur

You know, I hadn't thought of that, and you're right. I forgot that FOTR was almost 3 hours long, so this seems fair.

Hope I didn't step on any toes, did not intend to. I am just a bit zealous in, "the more time we get in Middle Earth, the better." sort of mindset.

I have been a bit surprised at myself. My excitement and anticipation at this point is nowhere near what it was leading up to the release of FotR. Maybe just that I am older and have a better knowledge of what to expect this go around.

Altazor

Hope I didn't step on any toes, did not intend to. I am just a bit zealous in, "the more time we get in Middle Earth, the better." sort of mindset.

I have been a bit surprised at myself. My excitement and anticipation at this point is nowhere near what it was leading up to the release of FotR. Maybe just that I am older and have a better knowledge of what to expect this go around.

heh, I was fortunate (?) enough to read FOTR back in 2001 WITHOUT KNOWING THERE WAS GOING TO BE A MOVIE RELEASED THE SAME YEAR. I don't know why I never knew until, I dunno, july 2001? I was in the middle of FOTR when I found out and I was OMG I HAVE TO SEE THIS. Of course, I had finished the 3 volumes by the time I watched the first movie (january 2002).

It was a rollercoaster of emotions, to be honest. I was excited because I'd be able to watch the shit I had just read, and then I watched it and lost my mind in the process
KuGsj.gif

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Opening lines of Tolkien's new Arthurian poem.

"Arthur eastward in arms purposed
his war to wage on the wild marches,
over seas sailing to Saxon lands,
from the Roman realm ruin defending.
Thus the tides of time to turn backward
and the heathen to humble, his hope urged him,
that with harrying ships they should hunt no more
on the shining shores and shallow waters
of South Britain, booty seeking."

Source

Ainaurdur

Edmond Dantès;43022504 said:
Opening lines of Tolkien's new Arthurian poem.

"Arthur eastward in arms purposed
his war to wage on the wild marches,
over seas sailing to Saxon lands,
from the Roman realm ruin defending.
Thus the tides of time to turn backward
and the heathen to humble, his hope urged him,
that with harrying ships they should hunt no more
on the shining shores and shallow waters
of South Britain, booty seeking."

Source

I have never really cared much for the Arthurian legends, but Tolkien's pen makes me want to read it.

And I still need to pick up The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún, this is a nice reminder to do so.

Platy

I read on twitter that IMAX can't run movies bigger than 3hours ....that sounded REALLY strange, but I never even saw a movie on IMAX, so .... anyone knows anything about this ?

Talking of Kili being a miniature Aragorn, isn't that the same character that is supposed to
develop a romantic subplot with Tauriel (Evangeline Lilly)? I'd imagine they would have struggled to have the audience invest in a short, beardy dwarf getting it on with a tall Elf so they changed how he looked for that purpose.

Edmond Dantès;42884779 said:

Hey there GAF's very own Tolkien Professor, are there any good (post 2003ish) Tolkien documentaries available that go over his work and his life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom