• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Talking of Kili being a miniature Aragorn, isn't that the same character that is supposed to
develop a romantic subplot with Tauriel (Evangeline Lilly)? I'd imagine they would have struggled to have the audience invest in a short, beardy dwarf getting it on with a tall Elf so they changed how he looked for that purpose.

With regards to that rumor,
I really get the impression that some people may be blowing that out of proportion and have been taking it a bit too literally. I'm under the assumption that all he does is flirt with her on and off, I have serious doubts they'll push it so Kili + Tauriel become the Aragorn + Arwen of the story. Mostly because I envision some decent humor being mined from the idea of a dwarf attempting to romance an elf, not a genuine relationship.

Hey there GAF's very own Tolkien Professor, are there any good (post 2003ish) Tolkien documentaries available that go over his work and his life?

Here are a couple from the Appendices of the Exteded Edition DVD's:

The Legacy of Middle Earth

The Origins of Middle-Earth

Allard

I read on twitter that IMAX can't run movies bigger than 3hours ....that sounded REALLY strange, but I never even saw a movie on IMAX, so .... anyone knows anything about this ?

Its a problem with the non-digital IMAX theaters. (Like the one in my home town). The film size and consequently the reels are so large they fit the room to max capacity and that any film larger then 170 minutes literally cannot be played at the non-digital imax screens.

Edit: beaten with better info.

Platy

So there is SOME true to that ....

and what will happen when the inevitable lenght of the second and third movies finaly gets bigger than 3 hours ?

With regards to that rumor,
I really get the impression that some people may be blowing that out of proportion and have been taking it a bit too literally. I'm under the assumption that all he does is flirt with her on and off, I have serious doubts they'll push it so Kili + Tauriel become the Aragorn + Arwen of the story. Mostly because I envision some decent humor being mined from the idea of a dwarf attempting to romance an elf, not a genuine relationship.

Ah, I didn't think of it like that. I never thought it would be on the same level as Aragorn and Arwen as their love story in the films was more of a sweeping 'epic' love story. But I thought it may be a toned down version, imprisoned-in-Mirkwood-romance or something. But I think I'll like the humour angle better.

It still seems they have went to extreme lengths to have Kili look really distinct to the dwarves whilst pulling off the handsome hero look. He even looks like a rugged Elf. He also seems to be the only dwarf with a bow and arrow and Tauriel (Elves and all) is meant to be big on bows and arrows. Maybe that's to establish some common ground.

Here are a couple from the Appendices of the Exteded Edition DVD's:

The Legacy of Middle Earth

The Origins of Middle-Earth

Great stuff, thanks for these!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Talking of Kili being a miniature Aragorn, isn't that the same character that is supposed to
develop a romantic subplot with Tauriel (Evangeline Lilly)? I'd imagine they would have struggled to have the audience invest in a short, beardy dwarf getting it on with a tall Elf so they changed how he looked for that purpose.

Hey there GAF's very own Tolkien Professor, are there any good (post 2003ish) Tolkien documentaries available that go over his work and his life?
There aren't many documentaries about Tolkien in general. The two posted by Loxley are very good though.

It may not be post 2003, but this very accomplished BBC documentary from 1997 is worth watching and was released on DVD a few years ago. It's what you would expect from a BBC documentary.

J.R.R.Tolkien.jpg

In terms of the
Kili/Tauriel love plot,
I agree with Loxley. It has been blown out of proportion. It seems more likely that Tauriel with have a
romantic connection to
Mr They're taking the hobbits to Isengard!

I read on twitter that IMAX can't run movies bigger than 3hours ....that sounded REALLY strange, but I never even saw a movie on IMAX, so .... anyone knows anything about this ?

It's actually just less than 170 minutes for non-digital IMAX theatres. I believe it's capped at 168 minutes. Otherwise they have to force a fifteen minute intermission while they change the reels like they did with Titanic's rerelease.

It's part of the reason Avatar had it's theatrical runtime cut to 166m.

Rootbeer

Banned
Woo! Found 6" Tauriel and Legolas on amazon for MSRP. ordered! Now I have all the 6"... :d

There have been some rumors that they would pull the Tauriel and Legolas figures from the line until next year's film figures hit shelves.

Those covers are too competently made.

They have to have some sort of faux-book design and ugly packaging that falls apart once you open it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Quick question that may be a bit too early to answer, will IMAX theaters be showing the movie in 48fps? I usually go IMAX for movies I'm greatly anticipating because our local one is an amazing theater but I really want to see this in 48fps.

Rootbeer

Banned
Quick question that may be a bit too early to answer, will IMAX theaters be showing the movie in 48fps? I usually go IMAX for movies I'm greatly anticipating because our local one is an amazing theater but I really want to see this in 48fps.

Could depend on the length of the film since 48fps makes each reel last half as long. From what I have read it seems 48fps and imax don't seem to be used together in the marketing so... i'm thinking no. I hope there will be a 48fps imax 3d version personally, that would be ultimate. intermissions be damned.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Too early to say, but 48fps Hobbit will be a limited release.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118057587

I suggest contacting your local theater and asking them if they will be one of the participating theaters.

Rootbeer

Banned
from the variety article above:

"One thing that won't be happening soon is a combination of 4K resolution -- which is already in some theaters -- 3D and high frame rates. Today's gear and networks can't handle that much data."

Faster, dammit! Faster!

I've been seeing a lot of 4K films lately -- especially at Regal where they advertise it before each movie begins, when it's in the format -- but i honestly can tell very little difference. I'm not known for having the best eyes though. I hope that is simply because the screens are either too small, or maybe the equipment used to film was not fully taking advantage of 4K and the film was simply upressed... I really don't know. 4K in the home (upgrading from 1080p) would be a different matter, assuming one had a really large screen

Ainaurdur

The number of times I will likely see the movie, I expect to try to see it in as many formats as I can. IMAX 3D at least once, RealD once, hopefully 48fps at least once (but I doubt it will be anywhere close to me), and the rest of the times will be regular 2D.

My first viewing of it at midnight will probably be plain 2D. For distance from home, and to simply view the movie first for itself, and then subsequently see the special versions.

Rootbeer

Banned
I want to see it in 48FPS first... since that is probably the best way to view the film. Then IMAX 3D the same day... hopefully, if i can schedule all that properly. At the Metreon, of course -- a REAL IMAX. Probably doesn't really matter since It has no IMAX scenes anyway. a 4K projection on a fairly large screen should be comparable.

Or maybe I should do the reverse. I haven't decided.

mattp

i hope there's an easy way to find out where it's playing at 48fps. i'm really curious to watch it

edit: also, are the 48fps showings always giong to be 3d as well? i'd much rather see 48 2d :\

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
London Premiere tickets now available.

http://www.ctbf.co.uk/?page_id=2718

You have to be a member (Silver membership costs £25)

Odeon Cinema Leicester Square

Stalls £100
Stalls Premium £150
Upper Circle £200
Upper Circle Premium £250

Empire Cinema Leicester Square

All seats £75

Dress code: Black tie.

Pre Premiere Reception at the Hampshire Hotel on Leicester Square: 5pm – 6.15pm

In the presence of members of the Royal Family, cast and filmmakers (full details to be disclosed closer to the date).

What say you Tolkien GAF?

Edmond Dantès;43059326 said:

http://www.ctbf.co.uk/?page_id=2718

You have to be a member (Silver membership costs £25)

Odeon Cinema Leicester Square

Stalls £100
Stalls Premium £150
Upper Circle £200
Upper Circle Premium £250

Empire Cinema Leicester Square

All seats £75

Dress code: Black tie.

Pre Premiere Reception at the Hampshire Hotel on Leicester Square: 5pm – 6.15pm

In the presence of members of the Royal Family, cast and filmmakers (full details to be disclosed closer to the date).

If I only had some of Smaug's hoard of gold right now.

Ainaurdur

Edmond Dantès;43059326 said:

Membership + movie ticket + plane ticket + hotel = wealth surpassing such as mine. At least not right now. Would be great to go though. There or the NZ premier.

Ainaurdur

Edmond Dantès;43064948 said:
I think I'll take up the task and attend to represent Tolkien GAF.

I trust you will carry the banner well for us all.

Edmond Dantès;43065793 said:

I had a bit of a laugh at the end, he did not seem too thrilled about the new movie coming. Of course the Estate has had quite mixed reactions to all adaptations over the years. Though I thought I recall hearing that Simon was one of the few who did appreciate the movies? Maybe he is just naturally subdued. I think this was the longest interview I have seen with him, so I don't know.

I trust you will carry the banner well for us all.

I had a bit of a laugh at the end, he did not seem too thrilled about the new movie coming. Of course the Estate has had quite mixed reactions to all adaptations over the years. Though I thought I recall hearing that Simon was one of the few who did appreciate the movies? Maybe he is just naturally subdued. I think this was the longest interview I have seen with him, so I don't know.

Don't they get a ton of money from the movies, merch and such?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Just thinking when the OT should go up (not that I've even started working on it yet). Before the New Zealand premiere in November or before general release three weeks later?

Edmond Dantès;43092760 said:
Just thinking when the OT should go up (not that I've even started working on it yet). Before the New Zealand premiere in November or before general release three weeks later?

Before general release I'd say. I think this topic is sufficient till then.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;43088120 said:

You know what? I really love that New Zealand has completely embraced the whole "Middle-Earth" thing over the years. You can tell it's a real source of pride for the country (as well as the NZ film industry). I'm sure there are plenty there that could care less or or sick of hearing about it, but overall the shear enthusiasm and excitement stemming from NZ around the Hobbit release is enough to get anybody jazzed for the premiere.

mrkgoo

Wait, coins? As in actual usable NZ currency?

I've gotta get my friend in NZ to send me some.

Not all that uncommon actually. Out mint makes a bunch of collectors coins all the time and they're all legal tender.

Here's my $1 coin from about the time Lord of the Rings came out:

6051182529_838130505c.jpg

6051182929_186ea6580d_z.jpg

You know what? I really love that New Zealand has completely embraced the whole "Middle-Earth" thing over the years. You can tell it's a real source of pride for the country (as well as the NZ film industry). I'm sure there are plenty there that could care less or or sick of hearing about it, but overall the shear enthusiasm and excitement stemming from NZ around the Hobbit release is enough to get anybody jazzed for the premiere.

Eh, I think it's a bit over the top. I mean I love LOTR and think it's fantastic what it's done for the country, but things like renaming Wellington is kinda lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom