• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
New images:

hobbitbookfair7-cb117116.JPG

hobbitbookfair9-cb117116.JPG

hobbitbookfair5-cb117116.JPG

hobbitbookfair8-cb117116.JPG

Mithril suit? Seems a bit much even for an Elf King.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
All those Elfs are vain and arrogant. They're just too fucking smug to admit it!
Can‘t imagine how smug the Vanyar, highest of all Elves were. They never even returned to Middle-earth (apart from the host who fought in the War of Wrath), choosing instead to cosy up with the Valar and Maiar and ignoring Feanor‘s rebellion.

Bregor

Edmond Dantès;43119881 said:
Can‘t imagine how smug the Vanyar, highest of all Elves were. They never even returned to Middle-earth (apart from the host who fought in the War of Wrath), choosing instead to cosy up with the Valar and Maiar and ignoring Feanor‘s rebellion.

My impression is that they weren't smug, just content.

So he might have a battle with Gandalf and later on with Thorin? More major baddie than I was expecting to have.

Edmond Dantès;43164907 said:

Bard is easily the most “important” human character in a story almost entirely about non-humans, and even though he’s not introduced until late in the game, he plays a huge role in both the conflict with the dragon and the events that follow. The film-makers need to establish not just his place in the society of Laketown (the human port on the Long Lake south of the Lonely Mountain) and his skills with the bow, but they also have to fit in small-but-important details like his ability to talk to birds (no, really).
I'm pretty sure it wasn't that he could talk to birds but the particular who helped him was able to talk and was a messenger sent by Gandalf or something.

for part 1 of the hobbit theatrical? That would be overkill. Even most (all?) of the theatrical cuts of lotr were not that long.

The fuck are you talking about? All theatrical cuts were longer than that.

Edit: Unless you're talking about Dantes' suggestion runtime for two, lol.

I would also prefer Dantes' super-long cuts of two halves, rather than three parts.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah dantes. I don't think a major studio release will ever have a theatrical run time like that in this day and age. Especially a IMAX release.

Yeah dantes. I don't think a major studio release will ever have a theatrical run time like that in this day and age. Especially a IMAX release.

I can't fucking wait for IMAX to convert to laser projection and fuck this runtime bullshit off. I swear that's a factor in this.

Avatar, TDK/R, Watchmen, all cutting themselves short so they can roll out simultaneous IMAX releases.

Cheebo

Banned
Yep, that's the main reason I see behind this as well. Blockbuster movies are always IMAX now it seems and there is a ceiling in run time they are stuck at.

Rootbeer

Banned
If the running time approaches or surpasses 120mins per film i'll be satisfied. if they cut these three films to 90 mins, gotta admit i'd be disappointed. could easily have stuck with the duology approach if they are that short.

Not sure I trust that russian source, but if it's legit i'm very happy.

Allard

Yep, I don't see how 2.5 hours for a theatrical cut is a bad thing, especially if that's per film.

We also might be forgetting something else in play that didn't happen with LotR, its getting prepped for Imax, that run time is really close to the absolute max for Imax.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
If the running time approaches or surpasses 120mins per film i'll be satisfied. if they cut these three films to 90 mins, gotta admit i'd be disappointed. could easily have stuck with the duology approach if they are that short.

Not sure I trust that russian source, but if it's legit i'm very happy.
The Russian source is just reiterating the already rumoured runtime. Multiple sources and confirmation by the Russian distributor of the film means that it's a dead cert now.

Number45

(Excuse my possible mispellings and missing accents, not near the book at the moment).

Finished the Quenta Silmarillion part of The Silmarillion. I did like the Beren and Luthien tale, but I have to say the Turien and Hurien story (which I know is interwoven) tugged at my heart strings so much more. I don't think the style of writing lends itself particularly to an emotional investment, from me at least.

Moving on to... I'm not even going to try and spell the next section of the book. Can't deny I'm looking forward to going over more familiar ground in the final section as well.

Loxley

(Excuse my possible mispellings and missing accents, not near the book at the moment).

Finished the Quenta Silmarillion part of The Silmarillion. I did like the Beren and Luthien tale, but I have to say the Turien and Hurien story (which I know is interwoven) tugged at my heart strings so much more. I don't think the style of writing lends itself particularly to an emotional investment, from me at least.

Moving on to... I'm not even going to try and spell the next section of the book. Can't deny I'm looking forward to going over more familiar ground in the final section as well.

Akallabêth? One of my favorite parts :) It's relatively brief compared to the other sections of the Silmarillion, but no less epic.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Akallabêth? One of my favorite parts :) It's relatively brief compared to the other sections of the Silmarillion, but no less epic.
Yes, indeed.

It's Sauron's most significant role technically as far as the legendarium goes and the story that contains the most amount of spoken dialogue by him. It also reveals another side to his character. A side that is cunning, intelligent and thoroughly patient, unlike the latter Sauron who was more like his nihilistic master.

It also gives an indication that Sauron was not above pleasures of the flesh, especially considering the form he took during that period.

This is a pretty good indication of what he may have looked like:

Sauron-145z74a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom