• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The Finnish Hobbit, is definitely something... I watched a few short clips. Some interesting music choices. Very saxy
Bilbo's mustache is funky.

Larger images of the covers:

iLwcxdqUPLm3u.jpg

ie21ls0b7b31V.jpg

Edmond, you are such as devoted Tolkien fan, I love it.

Really stoked for this movie as well, though I'm not sure if the local theater near me will have it in 48fps however. I searched that website and it wasn't there but I have a good feeling my theater will have it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Edmond, you are such as devoted Tolkien fan, I love it.

Really stoked for this movie as well, though I'm not sure if the local theater near me will have it in 48fps however. I searched that website and it wasn't there but I have a good feeling my theater will have it.
Thank you. I do my best to keep this thread and all the Tolkien fans who follow it updated.

Won't be long now till we're all in the OT discussing the film.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wait, what - this year? why did I have the idea it'd be next summer?

So I want to watch the LotR trilogy with my kids, and my daughter is reading The Hobbit at school. Should I wait on LotR and take them to watch The Hobbit first? (although if its split into two movies that perhaps doesn't matter)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

So I want to watch the LotR trilogy with my kids, and my daughter is reading The Hobbit at school. Should I wait on LotR and take them to watch The Hobbit first? (although if its split into two movies that perhaps doesn't matter)
The Hobbit's a trilogy now.

An Unexpected Journey - December 13 2012
The Desolation of Smaug - December 2013
There and Back Again - Summer 2014

I'd watch the LOTR trilogy now if I was you or else you'll be waiting until 2014 for the Hobbit trilogy to finish.

ascii42

I'd do LotR first. Especially since there are now going to be three Hobbit movies.

Edmond Dantès;43871340 said:
As I said before, I don't think there will be Complete Recordings this time. The Special Edition is already on par with the track count for the LOTR Complete Recordings.

Seems like we get all the music now.

So you're saying that Shore has already recorded the music for the Extended Edition? Because with LOTR he didn't do that until after the movie had released.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
So you're saying that Shore has already recorded the music for the Extended Edition? Because with LOTR he didn't do that until after the movie had released.
Indeed.

Extended editions are a certainty this time, so he's privy to all the extra music needed. The same wasn't the case when he originally composed the LOTR scores.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Box Office Mojo's forecast
The Lord of the Rings franchise earned over $1 billion at the domestic box office between 2001 and 2003, and the conclusion (Return of the King) racked up 11 Academy Award wins. The series still has a lot of goodwill, which should carry over to The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Still, franchise reboots and prequels tend to fall a bit short of their predecessors, and the lower stakes and confusing adaptation strategy (One children's book in to three movies? Really?) will keep The Hobbit from matching Return of the King's $377 million. Forecast: $330 million
http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3556&p=.htm

Platy

Considering that Bilbo, Thorin and Gandalf posters are screens fo the "3D posters" posted earlier ... would love to see the rest in the same effect (specialy considering all the flying things in those ... Dori's spilled milk is ASKING for a 3d poster effect)

Allard

Edmond Dantès;43892460 said:

Seems like a fairly conservative forecast considering 1) ticket price increases since Return of the King (3D on top of that I might add) and 2) RotK was the sequel to a pair of movies that came out 1(2) years prior compared to nearly a decade later. I know a ton of people that are getting ready to see the Hobbit opening weekend/month that didn't even see the LotR movies when they were first in the theaters because a lot of people hadn't seen Fellowship/Two Towers before the final movie hit the theaters and didn't want to go in blind. A movie that requires very little understanding of the previous films (prequel and technically the Hobbit came out first anyways as far as books are concerned), it releases 10 years later from the previous movies and the book itself is widely considered more famous, both with adults and children, then LotR should do pretty damn well if not on par or better then the LotR triology.

Considering that Bilbo, Thorin and Gandalf posters are screens fo the "3D posters" posted earlier ... would love to see the rest in the same effect (specialy considering all the flying things in those ... Dori's spilled milk is ASKING for a 3d poster effect)

ibyG565Elu7nFW.gif

iqwBf4ojEmTjR.gif

edit:nevermind

As for the OST I'm not gonna spoil myself. After watching the movie I will listen to it and remember all the scenes smiling or crying depending how the movie turns out.

Y'know I was curious about Bifur's head wound and how much that might affect the story, so I pulled up a random full text of the Hobbit from online and searched for character names to see how often they were used.

Bilbo - 556
Thorin - 251
Gandalf - 188
Gollum - 96
Smaug - 86

Balin - 67
Bombur - 59
Fili - 49
Kili - 37
Dori - 34
Gloin - 23
Dwalin - 21
Bofur - 21
Bifur - 19
Oin -18 (with preceding space)
Nori - 17
Ori - 11 (with preceding space)

Even Dain was mentioned 29 times, more than half of the other dwarves!

Really interesting to me. Some of the dwarves really were barely used. A good 10-15 occurrences of anyone's name is from a simple list, i.e. "Dori, Nori and Ori walked in." I didn't look that closely, I wonder who has the fewest lines of dialogue.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Y'know I was curious about Bifur's head wound and how much that might affect the story, so I pulled up a random full text of the Hobbit from online and searched for character names to see how often they were used.

Bilbo - 556
Thorin - 251
Gandalf - 188
Gollum - 96
Smaug - 86

Balin - 67
Bombur - 59
Fili - 49
Kili - 37
Dori - 34
Gloin - 23
Dwalin - 21
Bofur - 21
Bifur - 19
Oin -18 (with preceding space)
Nori - 17
Ori - 11 (with preceding space)

Even Dain was mentioned 29 times, more than half of the other dwarves!

Really interesting to me. Some of the dwarves really were barely used. A good 10-15 occurrences of anyone's name is from a simple list, i.e. "Dori, Nori and Ori walked in." I didn't look that closely, I wonder who has the fewest lines of dialogue.
Seems Peter and co are following Tolkien's usage of the dwarves with the exception of Bofur and Dwalin who seem to be part of the 'main tier' of dwarves alongside Thorin, Kili, Fili, Balin and Bombur.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Less than a month until the world premiere in New Zealand and the first reviews.

I ask you Tolkien GAF. Will negative reviews put you off the film in any way? Or will you be seeing it regardless of the reviews?

Peru

I'll be seeing it of course.

I fully expect the movies to be flawed. The LOTR movies are, some more than others, as much as I enjoy them, and maybe some of the flaws we glossed over more easily then because of the awesomeness of seeing Tolkien's world created by fully commited filmmakers will be more apparent. In any case I expect the critics to feel this, and be slightly more critical if the films do indeed feel like LOTR trilogy 2. The trilogy expansion created some badwill around the whole thing and if they're stretched out with long battle scenes or whatever, expect negative voices.

Despite this, the LOTR movies didn't really bring with them a wave of great fantasy movies. Lots of high budget ones, very few that did in any way have respect for their audience. So these movies should at the least be another welcome, serious attempt at making more watchable fantasy.

Edmond Dantès;43915461 said:
Less than a month until the world premiere in New Zealand and the first reviews.

I ask you Tolkien GAF. Will negative reviews put you off the film in any way? Or will you be seeing it regardless of the reviews?

Day 1. Reviews don't matter. It's my son's 15th bday (12/14) and he is so psyched to see this. He didn't get to see the LOTR films in the theater.

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;43905325 said:

I'm never usually interested in tie-in books, but this time I might change my mind.

I saw my local library has some of the tie-in visual guides to LOTR and I might need to check those out some time as well.

I don't expect perfect movies technically, but they could very well be perfect movies for me, if that makes sense. I love the LotR trilogy, flaws and all, and for some reason I expect I'll like this trilogy even more.

So no, negative reviews will not put me off seeing it or enjoying it.

Man

Expecting LOTR level quality is doing yourself a disfavor. The source material just isn't on the same dramatic/mature level. This will be quite more lighthearted. /captain obvious

Now check how many of those 59 Bombur mentions that _don't_ refer to him being fat. My guess? 20, maybe.

11 mentions of his fatness in proximity to his name, plenty of others about sleeping and food, but they could be mostly attributed to how they were all starving in Mirkwood and how he was put into magical slumber when he fell into the dark stream.

I forgot about that, that Bombur lost all memory of their journey halfway through Mirkwood, and was prone to narcolepsy afterward.

bengraven

I went into LOTR expecting something that looked cheap and barely covered all the points of the book. Aka a typical late 90s/early 2000s lower budget scifi/fantasy movie. Movies like Dragonheart and The 13th Warrior made me lower my expectations for a Hollywood fantasy film.

And then LOTR came out and shocked me as I sat in the theater and was like "Holy shit...".

I'm obviously going into The Hobbit with MORE expectations, probably similar to what I expected out of each LOTR sequel. I have some hangups already about the films (the extended scenes and I'm the only one not sold on Martin Freeman) so I'm still maintaining at least a minor air of wariness.

Loxley

I don't expect perfect movies technically, but they could very well be perfect movies for me, if that makes sense. I love the LotR trilogy, flaws and all, and for some reason I expect I'll like this trilogy even more.

So no, negative reviews will not put me off seeing it or enjoying it.

Exactly how I feel. The LotR films and Jackson's version of Middle-Earth are very near and dear to me, so I'm going to go into The Hobbit films with different expectations (and admitted biases) than Joe Moviecritic.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
‘The Hobbit’: Peter Jackson’s unexpected journey to three films
In not only “The Lord of the Rings” but also in “King Kong” and “The Frighteners,” Jackson has excelled at creating memorable creatures, and “The Hobbit” provides a great test: Smaug is arguably one of the best-known dragons in literature, and yet moviegoers of all generations believe they know what a dragon, not just Tolkien’s fearful beast, should look like.

“The trouble with redesigning dragons is that if you really get fruity with it, it suddenly starts to look like some sort of monster from another planet — you very quickly can go into science-fiction territory,” Jackson said. “I don’t want to do that. I mean, people expect a dragon. ‘The Hobbit’ is one of the most famous dragon stories in the world, really. So I’m not trying to step away from the dragon. I just want to present the most venal, scary, decrepit, nasty dragon that I possibly can.”

Perhaps Jackson’s greatest storytelling challenge is Tolkien’s almost steadfast refusal to engage in exposition and allegory. People can read into “The Hobbit” whatever they want, but Jackson isn’t going to help confirm anyone’s theories.

“I just like to tell stories,” Jackson said. “I don’t set out to try to preach to people and put hidden meaning into things. I just think if you can entertain people and give people a good time at the movies you’re doing your job well. I don’t think it’s any more complicated than that.”
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012...r-jacksons-unexpected-journey-to-three-films/

Can't wait to see Lord Smaug the Impenetrable, the unassessably wealthy, the chiefest and greatest of calamaties in all his tremendous, golden, magnificence.

Seriously, for those who have never read The Hobbit and have watched only the LOTR trilogy, you are in for a treat. Nothing in the LOTR trilogy can prepare you for Smaug the Magnificent, not even that silly little Balrog.

Movie reviews are worthless.

I will be seeing this and enjoying it.

Movie reviews will definitely be worthless. If the quality is up there with LOTR which it looks to be. Then it'll automatically be one of my favourite films ever.

Ainaurdur

Edmond Dantès;43927618 said:
Can't wait to see Lord Smaug the Impenetrable, the unassessably wealthy, the chiefest and greatest of calamaties in all his tremendous, golden, magnificence.
Being reminded of Smaug's qualities in this way, almost brought a tear to my eye. Cannot wait to see him on screen.

And I don't plan on reading any reviews. I rarely agree with any of them anyway. I will see it for myself. I expect to love it, but keeping my expectations low.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Personally, the reviews will have no bearing on my desire to see The Hobbit. I've been waiting to immerse myself in a new Middle-earth adventure since the credits rolled on The Return of the King.

It'll be a pleasure to go take on this adventure with my fellow Tolkien fans from this thread for the next two and a half years.

And who knows, we may yet see more of Tolkien's tales on the big screen.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Regal announces ‘Lord of the Rings’ marathon.
Regal Cinemas just announced the theater chain will be presenting a marathon of the “Lord of the Rings” films in celebration of the new film “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.”

Saturday, Dec. 8 the event will kick off with “Fellowship of the Ring” at 11:15 a.m. followed by “The Two Towers” at 3:30 p.m. and end with “Return of the King” at 8 p.m.

The event will cost $25 and include a coupon toward a special “Lord of the Rings” concession combo of a medium popcorn and medium drink for $5.

Inland area theaters screening the marathon include Corona Crossings Stadium 18, Ontario Palace Stadium 22, Riverside Plaza Stadium 16 and San Bernardino Stadium 14 and RPX.

Tickets for the marathon go on sale at 9 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 7

Tickets for “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” will also go on sale the same day. Inland fans are also in for an excellent treat as several Regal theaters will screen the film in 3-D and in 48 frames per second. Regal’s press release explains the 48 frames per second “enhances picture quality, smoothness and clarity.”

The Hollywood standard is 24 frames per second. For more information on the high frame rate, check out Regal’s special “Hobbit” page.

The Inland Regal theaters screening the special “Hobbit” prints are the Ontario Palace Stadium 22, San Bernardino Stadium 14 & RPX and Temecula Stadium 15.

All total, there will be five versions of the film: 2-D, 3-D, IMAX, IMAX 3-D and the high frame rate 3-D version.

“The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” will be in theaters Friday, Dec. 14. Tickets will also go on sale Wednesday, Nov. 7.
http://blog.pe.com/tim-guy/2012/11/...es-lord-of-the-rings-marathon-hobbit-tickets/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom