• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well... none of those 48fps screens are in san fran or berkeley... my two turfs. Hope AMC will deliver and have 48fps at the Metreon.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This is somewhat of a driveby post, but I just saw the trailer for this in front of cloud atlas and it looks really cheesy. I don't know what it is about it, but I'm really worried about this one.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
This is somewhat of a driveby post, but I just saw the trailer for this in front of cloud atlas and it looks really cheesy. I don't know what it is about it, but I'm really worried about this one.
The Hobbit which occurs sixty years before the events of The Lord of the Rings. One Hobbit this time with thirteen dwarves on a grand adventure that flows far more effectively than The Lord of the Rings and the overarching narrative is far more eventful with many set pieces following each other in quick succession. It's a more whimsy tale set in the same legendarium.

Man

That soundtrack sample was... all over the place? Sounded like it contained ten different songs and was tailored to very specific on-screen events (duh).

Edmond Dantès;43973449 said:
Seems like we have our first soundtrack sample.

Radagast the Brown.

http://sidiview.tumblr.com/post/35021768864/radagast-the-brown-howard-shore

To play or not to play.

The age old question of whether you should listen to soundtracks before the film is released or maintain the audio-visual virginity until you see the film for the first time. I still remember the profound effect that some scenes had when I heard Shore's tracks for the first time (entering Dwarrowdelf and Gandalf's fall).

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
To play or not to play.

The age old question of whether you should listen to soundtracks before the film is released or maintain the audio-visual virginity until you see the film for the first time. I still remember the profound effect that some scenes had when I heard Shore's tracks for the first time (entering Dwarrowdelf and Gandalf's fall).
This isn't as profound as either of those two. It's quirky and befitting of a character like Radagast.

Edmond Dantès;43988282 said:

I can kinda see that, maybe. But I feel like that gets broken the moment he's flustered by a bunch of dwarves marching into his house. He's pretty submissive for the rest of the story afterward.

Edmond Dantès;43988439 said:
This isn't as profound as either of those two. It's quirky and befitting of a character like Radagast.

Reminds me of Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction. :p

Howard Shore making my day there!

Just checked the prices for Liverpool Odeon, since that isn't too far from me. It has listings up for 2D, and in IMAX 3D (I'm assuming this will be the 48fps version, though it doesn't specifically say so). Cost for a student, day time ticket is £6.50 and £11 respectively. Normally I wouldn't pay the latter, but given it how much I am anticipating this film I'm willing to fork out a little bit more for the experience (first IMAX screening I've been to also)!

Guess that is what Warner Bros is relying on to pull in the extra dough.

Edmond Dantès;43995055 said:

Wow, I really dislike that faint.

Poor Bilbo couldn't bear it any longer. At "may never return" he began to feel a shriek coming up inside, and very soon it burst out like the whistle of an engine coming out of a tunnel. All the dwarves sprang up knocking over the table. Gandalf struck a blue light on the end of his magic staff, and in its firework glare the poor little hobbit could be seen kneeling on the hearth-rug, shaking like a jelly that was melting. Then he fell flat on the floor, and kept on calling out "struck by lightning, struck by lightning!" over and over again; and that was all they could get out of him for a long time. So they took him and laid him out of the way on the drawing-room sofa with a drink at his elbow, and they went back to their dark business.

I guess that's not really appropriate for a movie, but really now.

Ainaurdur

Edmond Dantès;43996236 said:
It's a bit theatrical, but it may just be a take specifically for the trailer/teaser. It wouldn't surprise me if they chose a less dramatic take for the actual film.

And what if they shot a version closer to the book for the extended version? ;)
I can only dream.

I appreciate the couple new clips they threw in TV Spot 3, the extra bit of Gollum especially, but overall it feels like the weakest spot/trailer so far.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
And what if they shot a version closer to the book for the extended version? ;)
I can only dream.

I appreciate the couple new clips they threw in TV Spot 3, the extra bit of Gollum especially, but overall it feels like the weakest spot/trailer so far.
Speaking of the extended versions, I wonder if any of them will be superior to the theatrical releases.

In terms of The Lord of the Rings, the general consensus is that the extended Fellowship is superior to the theatrical cut. Opinion is very divided however on The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

Well, I'm quite sure the extended version of An Unexpected Journey will have my love. Talking purses and all that.

Ainaurdur

Edmond Dantès;43997178 said:
Speaking of the extended versions, I wonder if any of them will be superior to the theatrical releases.

In terms of The Lord of the Rings, the general consensus is that the extended Fellowship is superior to the theatrical cut. Opinion is very divided however on The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

Well, I'm quite sure the extended version of An Unexpected Journey will have my love. Talking purses and all that.

I made the switch to the extended versions and hardly looked back.

Actually it feels like it has been so long since I have watched the theatricals. So last night I watched the first half of FotR. Think I will go through the whole theatrical LotR, and then the extended after that. Spreading out my viewing over the next 5 weeks to warm up for AUJ.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
This scene has been lightened up quite a bit in comparison to the initial trailer.

untitled-11-copy.jpg

ascii42

Edmond Dantès;43997178 said:

RotK I can see, I had some issues with that as well, but I don't remember any scenes being added to Two Towers that I disliked. I haven't seen the theatrical cut in nearly a decade now, so my memory of the differences might be hazy.

Pachinko

Hey fellow canucks out there I have some bad news. I found a contact e-mail for cineplex odeon and asked where in canada you could watch the hobbit in 48 FPS 3D and I got back the following-

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Cineplex Entertainment. Unfortunately, we do not yet have confirmation whether any of our locations will be presenting The Hobbit in 48 fps. Updates will be announced on our facebook and twitter feeds once we have confirmation.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us."

I've bolded the important part :( , according to the list of 48fps theatres there is a single theatre in Kelowna, BC listed but nothing beyond that.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
A few clearer versions of some recently posted images.

I wonder what they're are all looking at.

iFrkELeQMgg97.jpg

ibjFe3ZIXcWcvg.jpg

idlXAPUOeujTO.jpg

Bilbo looks suitably rotund in this image.

i6yMpBpgvNmF0.jpg

Ainaurdur

Edmond Dantès;44013217 said:
A few clearer versions of some recently posted images.

I wonder what they're are all looking at.

iFrkELeQMgg97.jpg

idlXAPUOeujTO.jpg

First one, I'd guess they are listening to one of the few dwarves not shown in the picture, maybe Thorin giving orders on the next step of the journey?

And with Elrond, I could not help but hear in my head the line as it was delivered in the animated movie. :) So many parts of which are deeply set in my memory.

Kud Dukan

Hey fellow canucks out there I have some bad news. I found a contact e-mail for cineplex odeon and asked where in canada you could watch the hobbit in 48 FPS 3D and I got back the following-

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Cineplex Entertainment. Unfortunately, we do not yet have confirmation whether any of our locations will be presenting The Hobbit in 48 fps. Updates will be announced on our facebook and twitter feeds once we have confirmation.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us."

I've bolded the important part :( , according to the list of 48fps theatres there is a single theatre in Kelowna, BC listed but nothing beyond that.

Wow, that really sucks. Hopefully we get at least a few scatter around the country.

Loxley

Plus, as has been said many times in this thread, it's a movie based off of a children's book. Sure they've probably PG-13'd it up in the action department, but overall the story isn't a humorless romp. Even Pixar's best movies have campy moments here and there, it's not automatically a bad thing.

The only thing I'm concerned about as far as the humor goes is the possible number of HEY BOMBUR IS THE FAT ONE jokes.

Daft_Cat

So I live in LA and go to USC.

A really good buddy of mine in my program has a mom in distribution, and he says he saw The Hobbit last weekend.

Things in favour of him telling the truth:
-His mom actually is in distribution.
-I know for a fact he saw Skyfall and Cloud Atlas like a month early.

Things in favour of it being bullshit:
-Isn't it way too early still? I didn't ask whether or not it was a rough cut, but I assume it wasn't.

If it is true, I guess that means impressions/buzz might end up hitting sooner than expected.

A really good buddy of mine in my program has a mom in distribution, and he says he saw The Hobbit last weekend.

-Isn't it way too early still? I didn't ask whether or not it was a rough cut, but I assume it wasn't.

If it is true, I guess that means impressions/buzz might end up hitting sooner than expected.

Hum, Impressions??

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

Can only be a rough cut if true. The film is still being tinkered with and will continue to be tinkered with until a week before the world premiere in New Zealand. As of now, not even Peter Jackson or the editors have seen the final cut of the theatrical release of An Unexpected Journey.

Rootbeer

Banned
Gollum's hair looks longer, other than that it's hard for me to tell much difference in his portrayal. But i'm going by memory here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom