• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It seems
Riddles in the Dark and Goblin Town
will run concurrently rather than in the order established in the novel.

And the party will be attacked by Hunter Orcs before
Rivendell

Peter and co probably decided that the journey after the
Trollshaw
was lacking in drama. This info comes from the movie storybook.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Yeah, I liked the RIng of Barahir scene involving Saruman and Grima.

"...green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.”

"There King Finrod Felagund, hastening from the south, was cut off from his people and surrounded with small company in the Fen of Serech; and he would have been slain or taken, but Barahir came up with the bravest of his men and rescued him, and made a wall of spears about him; and they cut their way out of the battle with great loss. Thus Felagund escaped, and returned to his deep fortress of Nargothrond; but he swore an oath of abiding friendship and aid en every need to Barahir and all his kin, and in token of his vow he gave to Barahir his ring."

Many people I've come across have failed to notice the Ring of Barahir on Aragorn's finger.

MPW-6836

Ainaurdur

Ori wielding a slingshot, seems appropriate.

Bilbo with his new lightsaber?!
I know it is just for the practical light on the actor and scene.

Good to see Kiran sharing his experience and knowledge. Which makes me wonder, do we know which actors get which scale doubles, as in LotR they seemed to stick to one each except in a couple cases. I know I am looking forward to all of the special features we will get for AUJ. All those hours of behind the scenes from each of the LotR releases... delicious.

Loxley

I hope we get a really baller The Hobbit video game... probably won't happen though.

I wouldn't be surprised if WB Interactive were waiting for the third film to come along, that way they can include every big battle from The Hobbit into the game (tradition would dictate that it would be an action game of some sort). Given how the films are split, I don't see how a really interesting game could be made about the first 3rd of The Hobbit. But once they can include a big
Smaug battle?
Hell yes.

Man...The Battle of the Five Armies on next-gen systems....believe. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they tabbed Monolith to do it, since they'll be finished with Guardians of Middle Earth soon.

Sometimes, I'm amazed modern actors and actresses and even act with all that mess going on. Cameras in the face, the mo-cap, the green screens and insane costumes. It's impressive.

injurai

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if WB Interactive were waiting for the third film to come along, that way they can include every big battle from The Hobbit into the game (tradition would dictate that it would be an action game of some sort). Given how the films are split, I don't see how a really interesting game could be made about the first 3rd of The Hobbit. But once they can include a big
Smaug battle?
Hell yes.

Man...The Battle of the Five Armies on next-gen systems....believe. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they tabbed Monolith to do it, since they'll be finished with Guardians of Middle Earth soon.

I hope they make a game. Two-Towers and Return of the King were some of my favorite licensed games.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Ori wielding a slingshot, seems appropriate.

Bilbo with his new lightsaber?!
I know it is just for the practical light on the actor and scene.

Good to see Kiran sharing his experience and knowledge. Which makes me wonder, do we know which actors get which scale doubles, as in LotR they seemed to stick to one each except in a couple cases. I know I am looking forward to all of the special features we will get for AUJ. All those hours of behind the scenes from each of the LotR releases... delicious.
Kiran is definitely Bilbo's scale double. As for the others, a certain vlog features the scale doubles and might confirm a few others, but I forget which one. Might have been vlog #3.

Is there a reason they never just hired little people to play the hobbits? Like is the little people acting pool small enough that they just wouldn't be able to find the right person for the part?

Shambles

2nd largest country in the world.
1 theatre playing the hobbit at 48 fps.

I really hope that list isn't the final list. With Cineplex owning a monopoly in my area I doubt i'll be pleasantly surprized. :S

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Is there a reason they never just hired little people to play the hobbits? Like is the little people acting pool small enough that they just wouldn't be able to find the right person for the part?
That seems to be the reason. Little people aren't morphologically different to Hobbits (limb proportions etc) at least going by Tolkien's descriptions. So, yes the talent pool being quite limited and the filmmakers wanting more established actors in the roles of the main Hobbit characters are the likely reasons.

Loxley

Honestly? I've always had the theory in my head that part of it may have to do with the fact that little people had almost always been cast as dwarves and elves in fantasy films up to that point (especially in 80's) and they were normally used as comic-relief. It's an unfortunate type-casting that I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson simply wanted to avoid. As much as we know Jackson would have obviously taken it seriously, I have doubts that audiences would have been able to get over stigmatizations that are still perpetuated against little people. Also bare in mind that fantasy films were already a hard sell back in the late 90's, much less films with little people as the protagonists - which is still true today.

Game of Thrones actually plays on that very well with Peter Dinklage's character.

mrkgoo

Honestly? I've always had the theory in my head that part of it may have to do with the fact that little people had almost always been cast as dwarves and elves in fantasy films up to that point (especially in 80's) and they were normally used as comic-relief. It's an unfortunate type-casting that I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson simply wanted to avoid. As much as we know Jackson would have obviously taken it seriously, I have doubts that audiences would have been able to get over stigmatizations that are still perpetuated against little people. Also bare in mind that fantasy films were already a hard sell back in the late 90's, much less films with little people as the protagonists - which is still true today.

Game of Thrones actually plays on that very well with Peter Dinklage's character.

Reminds me I need to see willow again. Was that a sort of hobbit rip off? Or just a hobbit rip off in the way all fantasy books are kind of derived from jrr tolkien's works?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Reminds me I need to see willow again. Was that a sort of hobbit rip off? Or just a hobbit rip off in the way all fantasy books are kind of derived from jrr tolkien's works?
It was Lucas' attempt at the Lord of the Rings after Tolkien enterprises (as it was called then) a division of the Saul Zaentz Company refused to allow him the right to make an adaptation.

Here's the Shire:

Willow-willow-the-movie-6044850-720-480.jpg

Here's Gandalf:

tumblr_madrinz1ws1r3ckguo3_1280.jpg

Merry and Pippin...

willow.jpg

And so on and so forth.

It wasn't THAT bad of a ripoff, it was just the first part that was quite hobbity. They also did quite well with the actors in that one, although it obviously didn't require anywhere near as much talent as LotR.

jb1234

It wasn't THAT bad of a ripoff, it was just the first part that was quite hobbity. They also did quite well with the actors in that one, although it obviously didn't require anywhere near as much talent as LotR.

I'll never forget the creepy villain in that movie. She scared the shit out of me as a kid.

Hmm interesting thoughts, thanks guys.

How does Willow hold up? I remember liking it as a kid but I'm afraid it's one of those movies that will really show its age if I go back to it.

Ainaurdur

So AMC and Cinemark are joining Regal in the LotR Marathon on Dec 8th. More places to go view it! And though the prices are about the same no matter which theatre you choose, the deals are a tad better at AMC and Cinemark.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Hmm interesting thoughts, thanks guys.

How does Willow hold up? I remember liking it as a kid but I'm afraid it's one of those movies that will really show its age if I go back to it.
It's jolly good fun, but it doesn't hold up as well as The Dark Crystal for example, not many fantasy films from that particular era do in the post-Lord of the Rings era.

The Lord of the Rings set a precedent that will be hard to top.

Loxley

My girlfriend told me she'll be picking up our tickets tomorrow for the midnight release, my excitement is reaching a fever-pitch.

I also found out that I'll be presenting my senior thesis on either December 6th or the 7th, which marks the end of my semester (I initially thought it would be the week of the Hobbit's release). This kicks particular ass because I've already convinced my GF to go to the Regal Lord of the Rings marathon that Saturday, which'll be a button on my collegiate career.

Freaking A' December is going to rock.

Watevaman

My girlfriend told me she'll be picking up our tickets tomorrow for the midnight release, my excitement is reaching a fever-pitch.

I also found out that I'll be presenting my senior thesis on either December 6th or the 7th, which marks the end of my semester (I initially thought it would be the week of the Hobbit's release). This kicks particular ass because I've already convinced my GF to go to the Regal Lord of the Rings marathon that Saturday, which'll be a button on my collegiate career.

Freaking A' December is going to rock.

Lucky. I've got finals the week of The Hobbit's release so I'm gonna have to miss out on the LotR screening.

Edit: But The Hobbit will be a great b-day present, as my birthday is on the 15th.

Iceman

Edmond Dantès;44055115 said:
The Hobbit 2D standard
The Hobbit 3D standard
The Hobbit HFR 2D
The Hobbit HFR 3D (the recommended option)

Shouldn't this list include:

The Hobbit IMAX HFR 2D
The Hobbit IMAX HFR 3D?

And I thought The Hobbit was/is filmed with RED Epics.. that's 5K resolution, meaning sub-IMAX right?

In other words, should I seek out a true IMAX theater, or is LieMAX suitable?

Well, if it's a true IMAX, I think they won't have the 48fps version since they use 15/70mm film or whatever it's called. However, I'm not entirely sure, so it would be best to ask around. I'm gonna make sure to ask the true IMAX theater near me tomorrow if they'll be showing the 48fps version

mattp

I don't know, everytime that page lists it it specifically says hfr 3d.
sadly, I think 48fps is gonna be 3d only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom