• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, just called. it's definitely film at the metreon IMAX, not HFR. Manager confirmed.

I also double checked the other imax nearby to see if it was a liemax or a full-size. from what I found, it *IS* full size according to several sources I could find.

So that is interesting. if real imax is film... but HFR is digital only... then how are they accomplishing HFR IMAX 3D on my full-sized local imax? It has to be digital, and thus not true imax in the most pure sense of the term. Not that it would be bad, but the resolution is likely not better than on say, an AMC ETX screen

So I think i'm going to just go to the AMC ETX HFR 3D since the trip is easier. It's also a few dollars cheaper. (the IMAX HFR 3D showing is $19.50 + fandango fee!)

*edit* bleh I just can't settle for anything less than what (could be) the best!

HFR IMAX 3D it is! purchased :3

Movie : The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey HFR IMAX 3D
Date : Friday, December 14, 2012
Time : 11:00am
Quantity: 2 Adult
Where: Regal Hacienda Crossings Stadium 20 & IMAX

CKS3F.png

My preciioooouusssssss

Just got the call back from Henry Ford IMAX

24 fps since it's a True IMAX theater

AMC Livonia it is then

Hope the 48 fps blows my socks off

Ainaurdur

I just had a run-in with a ticket lady at a confirmed Regal location who barely knew what I was talking about when I asked for HFR 3D 48fps.
Got the manager involved. Apparently in the system none of the showings explicitly stated HFR. But that the one in the RPX room would be the HFR film. So my ticket just says RPX Hobbit 3D. Total was $15.

Rootbeer

Banned
I just had a run-in with a ticket lady at a confirmed Regal location who barely knew what I was talking about when I asked for HFR 3D 48fps.
Got the manager involved. Apparently in the system none of the showings explicitly stated HFR. But that the one in the RPX room would be the HFR film. So my ticket just says RPX Hobbit 3D. Total was $15.

If the guy I talked to was wrong and my main theater turns out to have IMAX HFR... I will rage >.< Congrats, though!

Guys... have you ever gone to a sold out 3D showing (this is way worse in IMAX where the isles are like 4x as long), the movie starts only to find out there's something wrong with the glasses? That happened to me in Prometheus. I had uber nerd panic. Was in the very middle of the isle and had to claw my way out. I had to exchange them TWICE to get a working pair. check the glasses closely for any cracks, faint lines, or color mismatching on the lenses (sometimes very very difficult to see, especially when in the theater)

if it happens to me in The Hobbit... I... I just don't know...

Rootbeer

Banned
I wish they'd release a 48fps trailer on trailers.apple.com... might be avoiding it because a lot of computers can't play it at the full rate, thus giving a bad impression

So is there ANY sample Hobbit footage at 48fps online yet? I've heard rumblings of a trailer, but I don't know if any of them were ever released in native 48fps.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
So is there ANY sample Hobbit footage at 48fps online yet? I've heard rumblings of a trailer, but I don't know if any of them were ever released in native 48fps.
None. Only those who attended Cinema-Con have seen 48fps footage and even then, the footage they saw was not the finished product.

Artadius

Question: Wife and I are planning on seeing this in the 48fps 3d IMAX... but she's not a huge fan of 3d movies (last one she saw was Avatar in theater). She says the glasses are uncomfortable and can start to give her headaches. I don't mind them too much although I do wear glasses myself so they are a bit clunky to wear over my regular glasses (I do not wear contacts).

Are there some better 3d glasses we can purchase than those the movie theater gives out that would work for this movie and are more comfortable / easy on the eye strain?

Thanks.

Loxley

Wooo got my tickets, ultimately decided on 2D, 24fps showing for my first viewing. Partially because I'll be seeing it with my girlfriend and she hates 3D with a passion (gives her a headache).

Man, tickets in my hand. After all this time and all the waiting it's finally happening :D

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Question: Wife and I are planning on seeing this in the 48fps 3d IMAX... but she's not a huge fan of 3d movies (last one she saw was Avatar in theater). She says the glasses are uncomfortable and can start to give her headaches. I don't mind them too much although I do wear glasses myself so they are a bit clunky to wear over my regular glasses (I do not wear contacts).

Are there some better 3d glasses we can purchase than those the movie theater gives out that would work for this movie and are more comfortable / easy on the eye strain?

Thanks.
A few suggestions.

http://www.rainbowsymphonystore.com/linear-polarized-3d-glasses.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Linear-Polarized-3D-glasses-for-IMAX/315707_211262150.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clip-Passive-Linear-Polarized-Lens-3D-Glasses-Imax-Lens-Cloth-/160855325196

If the theater you intend to go to uses the electronic IMAX glasses then the ones above will be of no use.

Best to ask before you buy, whether they provide standard throw away polarized glasses or the electronic ones that they take back.

The 3D headaches remind me that I hope PJ hasn't gone to overboard with the 3D. It'll be nice to see a movie where (hopefully) 3D isn't just a centerpiece gimmick but treated as a normal tool part and parcel with the rest of those at the filmmaker's disposal. I don't usually get the headaches myself, but the one time I did was that opening scene of the Toy Story 2 3D re-release in space, like someone tugging your eyes our their sockets.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Guys, please tell me I can't be the only one... I just rewatched LOTR and started to listen to the soundtrack and something familiar popped out.

Red Flaming Hair - LOTR OST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-mc2jwbmD8&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Kingdom Dance - Tangled OST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EodagdebniE&feature=related
You're not the only one. I can certainly hear the similarities.

I guess Howard's work on The Lord of the Rings has inspired quite a few composers out there.

Daft_Cat

Edmond Dantès;44098555 said:
I think so.

Nah. It's just that specific track isolated and ripped from last year's trailer. A digital projectionist probably did it, since the sound files they receive at the theater contain separate tracks for stereo playback.

It's interesting, there was never any musical notation with the songs in the books, so I always sort of made up a melody and meter in my head. On my latest reread of the Hobbit I got to that part of the book and that part of the trailer immediately sprang to mind. Did Tolkien ever formally compose any music for the songs in the Middle Earth series or was it all meant to be ambiguous?

Nah. It's just that specific track isolated and ripped from last year's trailer. A digital projectionist probably did it, since the sound files they receive at the theater contain separate tracks for stereo playback.

This is exactly what it sounds like. I'd imagine they'd sing at least a bit more of the song.

On another note.. I fucking love Radagast the Brown. It's grown on me like a rash. I love it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It's interesting, there was never any musical notation with the songs in the books, so I always sort of made up a melody and meter in my head. On my latest reread of the Hobbit I got to that part of the book and that part of the trailer immediately sprang to mind. Did Tolkien ever formally compose any music for the songs in the Middle Earth series or was it all meant to be ambiguous?
As talented as he was, musical composition was beyond him. The poems in the legendarium are open to interpretation.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
anyone else hoping these something akin to "In Dreams" in the films? I love that somber choir music, so soothing and epic.

spirity

I live about 5 mins walk from where Tolkien spent some of his childhood. The surrounding area is said to have inspired Tolkien in his vision of The Shire. Every year there's a Tolkien weekend, and this year I had to give directions to a lost Gandalf that wanted to purchase 20 cigarettes. There's a cafe here called The Hungry Hobbit and the Tolkien estate is trying to get the owner to change its name.

Just felt like mentioning that. That, and I can't wait for this film.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I live about 5 mins walk from where Tolkien spent some of his childhood. The surrounding area is said to have inspired Tolkien in his vision of The Shire. Every year there's a Tolkien weekend, and this year I had to give directions to a lost Gandalf that wanted to purchase 20 cigarettes. There's a cafe here called The Hungry Hobbit and the Tolkien estate is trying to get the owner to change its name.

Just felt like mentioning that. That, and I can't wait for this film.
A similar thing happened to a pub in Southampton. Middle-earth Enterprises demanded a name change and legal action.

Sometime around 3 at the Manchester Printworks IMAX. Then I'll be looking to go again in Leicester Square a week later when I go down to London for Christmas. Must hear that Dolby Atmos :D And hopefully HFR 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom