• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping for a full dwarf-sung version of Misty Mountains, but there's no way they're gonna cram that into 1:42, is there?

Oh well, that's what Song of the Lonely Mountain (which may actually be my favorite of what I've heard so far, believe it or not) appears to rectify.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Oscar worthy? Maybe not. Good enough for An Unexpected Journey? Most certainly.

As for the next two films, Smaug's theme will be one to look out for. He will be the first significant character introduction since The Lord of the Rings. The Mirkwood Elves will also have an interesting theme considering their lesser heritage in comparison to the mighty Noldor.

An Oscar nomination is possible, but Howard will not be winning for An Unexpected Journey (far too much competition this year). He'll be rewarded for the final film though.

bengraven

Threads going through so damn fast.

Music samples are great. Have a feeling Misty Mountains was scored just for the trailer, wish it was extended a bit with the actual song, not the "trailer music".

Edmond Dantès;44118702 said:
The Misty Mountains is the equivalent of the Fellowship theme heard throughout FOTR and a few times in TTT and ROTK.

I expected more though

FOTR had, let's see these memorable themes

- Fellowship Theme
- Hobbits/Shire Theme
- Mordor theme
- Lothlorien theme
- Rivendel theme
- Ring theme

Two Towers had

- Rohan theme
- White Rider theme
- Gollum theme

Return of the King had

- Into the West theme
- Gondor theme

Since this will be the first of the three movies, I kind of expected new and exciting themes.

I really dont like the way gollum looks in this movie. His eyes are waaay too big, made worse by the fact that they look too shiny cgi-esque. Also, he doesnt look threatening at all. In the trailer, when he tells bilbo that he'll be eaten if he loses the riddle game, it just seems like a joke.. he's a shrimpy nothing compared to bilbo and bilbo has a sword.

I remember reading that part of the book, and from what I remember, it was extremely dark, and gollum was a very frightening adversary.

Is it just me?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I expected more though

FOTR had, let's see these memorable themes

- Fellowship Theme
- Hobbits/Shire Theme
- Mordor theme
- Lothlorien theme
- Rivendel theme
- Ring theme

Two Towers had

- Rohan theme
- White Rider theme
- Gollum theme

Return of the King had

- Into the West theme
- Gondor theme

Since this will be the first of the three movies, I kind of expected new and exciting themes.
That's mostly because the first part of The Hobbit is very familiar to what we've already seen in Middle-earth.

It's not until things get really going that we're exposed to elements of Middle-earth never before depicted in a live action film.

Smaug, Beorn, Mirkwood, Silvan Elves and the Halls of Thranduil, Esgaroth and their unique culture, The Necromancer, The Arkenstone and so forth.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I really dont like the way gollum looks in this movie. His eyes are waaay too big, made worse by the fact that they look too shiny cgi-esque. Also, he doesnt look threatening at all. In the trailer, when he tells bilbo that he'll be eaten if he loses the riddle game, it just seems like a joke.. he's a shrimpy nothing compared to bilbo and bilbo has a sword.

I remember reading that part of the book, and from what I remember, it was extremely dark, and gollum was a very frightening adversary.

Is it just me?
The following from The Hobbit animated film captures the oppressiveness of that scene in the novel and is what Peter should have maybe strived to replicate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLssei0sId0

raphier

Banned
Edmond Dantès;44119494 said:
That's mostly because the first part of The Hobbit is very familiar to what we've already seen in Middle-earth.
Keep telling yourself that. The sound truth is that Shore hit q jackpot with the trilogy. It's hard to build memorable strings, which is why he's reusing them in this trilogy. I imagine if Tolkien didn't write the original lyrics, some would be reused somewhere.

The new radagast song is chaotic and doesn't lead anywhere. And the rest are too familiar.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Keep telling yourself that. The sound truth is that Shore hit q jackpot with the trilogy. It's hard to build memorable strings, which is why he's reusing them in this trilogy. I imagine if Tolkien didn't write the original lyrics, some would be reused somewhere.

The new radagast song is chaotic and doesn't lead anywhere. And the rest are too familiar.
So you think the following elements of the story; Smaug, Beorn, Mirkwood, Silvan Elves and the Halls of Thranduil, Esgaroth, The Necromancer, The Arkenstone, will all use strings already heard in The Lord of the Rings and think Shore incapable of creating something distinctly new and memorable.

We shall see.

I wonder how different your opinion would be if Guillermo was still directing and The Hobbit had gone in a completely different direction. How different would the score be with guidance from Guillermo rather than Peter who wants The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings to be akin to each other.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Bilbo's diary.

BilboDiary.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Disc 1 of the score up on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-vHWLmLBIc

Some interesting quotes from Doug:
Shore never uses ghostwriters. He hasn't even used an orchestrator for many years. While it's true that many film composers farm out work, most offer an "additional music by" credit now days. Danny Elfman does this. Hans Zimmer, too.

At any rate, this was not at all the case with The Hobbit. "Misty Mountains" was composed by Plan 9 as a piece of diagetic music -- that is, a piece that was performed by characters in the film. (I'm not giving anything away; it was in the 2011 teaser trailer.) It was a good tune -- and fairly malleable -- so Shore wove it into the score here and there ... though, as you've no doubt noticed in the preview tracks, he made it very much his own. There are some thrilling rhythmic and harmonic variations that are unmistakably in Shore's voice.

None of this was done as a time-saving measure by any means. It was a way to create a beautiful, cohesive whole.
Yep, confirmed. I've been an associate of his for over a decade now, and have seen the process firsthand. He has it down to an absolute science at this point. It's quite inspiring, really!

You seeing it in Sydney?

Also is it just a matter of going to the cinemas website to work out if it's HFR or not?

I am seeing it in Sydney.

Here are the Event Cinemas doing it in HFR:

• Event George Street
• Event Castle Hill
• Event Bondi
• Event Macquarie
• Event Parramatta
• Event Chermside
• Event Indooroopilly
• Event Garden City
• Event Maroochydore
• Event Robina
• Event Innaloo
• Event Marion

All 3D sessions for those cinemas = HFR.

Ainaurdur

I am choosing to trust Howard to give us new themes true to what he has already established, but that still stand on their own for this trilogy.

I have changed my mind and will not listen to all of the samples, but the ones I have heard have satisfied.

Randdalf

You never know, they could have taken a different direction themes-wise in these films, LOTR was laden with them perhaps they decided to lay off. To be honest though, as was said above, very little stuff requiring new and bombast themes is actually scheduled to happen in AUJ, that stuff is going to come into full force in later films.

edit: disc 2 just came back up on that site... this is definitely more like it#

edit2: this lonely mountain song isn't in the film... right?

jb1234

edit2: this lonely mountain song isn't in the film... right?

Probably end credits but no way to know for sure.

I'm confident that what we heard in the samples is just what it is, a sampling and that all the new themes Shore has come up with are hiding in the chunks we haven't heard yet.

Ainaurdur

My result was Hobbit as well, though any time I have thought about what I might be, Hobbit is not what I would actually choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom