• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
lame-sauce, all the HFR blogs seem to center on the US, are there any lists for London based screenings?
Nope, no solid announcement yet outside of the UK ad. I think they're finalising their plans as all the main cinema chains say they're waiting to find out what's happening.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Any guesses as to who these Elves may be?

i6cU7PUnnaiuq.jpg

Randoms or Elves of some significance. Maybe the standing male is
Elros the Elf Lord that Tauriel is in love with (The actual Elros was Elrond's brother who chose a mortal life and hence became the first High King of Númenor, known then as Tar-Minyatur).

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Sauron has Dinosaur named after him

ibuf1NFmkaFp8N.jpg

Named after the demonic Eye of Sauron from the Lord of the Rings films, a new species of flesh-ripping dinosaur terrorized North Africa some 95 million years ago, a new study says.

The species—Sauroniops pachytholus, or "eye of Sauron" in Greek—was identified from a single fossil unearthed in southeastern Morocco in 2007.

That fossil included only part the upper skull—including the eye socket, study leader Andrea Cau, of the Museo Geologico Giovanni Capellini in Bologna, Italy, said by email.

"The idea of a predator that is physically known only as its fierce eye reminded me of Sauron, in particular as depicted in Peter Jackson's movies," Cau explained.

A Match for T. Rex

As a carcharodontosaur—a type of huge theropod, or two-legged meat-eater—Sauroniops likely had "a long and deep skull bearing dozens of bladelike teeth," he said.

Comparisons of the skull fossil with those of related species suggest the creature measured up to 40 feet (12 meters) in length.

"The skull bone of Sauroniops is very broad and particularly thick: This suggests an animal as big as Tyrannosaurus [rex]," Cau said. But without more fossils, "a more precise estimation of its size is currently impossible," the paleontologist added.

The fossil also revealed that the dinosaur had a distinctive bump on its forehead, which sets Sauroniops apart from other carcharodontosaurs, according to the study, published recently in the journal Acta Palaeontologica Polonica.

This lumpy growth may have been used for head-butting clashes during male mating displays, the team speculates.

Sauron Dinosaur Was a Giant Among Giants

As the fourth carcharodontosaur known from Africa, Sauroniops shared its Moroccan stomping ground with the equally ferocious Carcharodontosaurus saharicus.

Though these top predators may have given each other the evil eye, it's quite possible they targeted different prey and weren't direct competitors, Cau said.

"Sauroniops lived along the banks of a large delta, under a hot and warm climate, very rich of fishes and crocodiles," he added. "The abundance of food may explain the abundance of predatory dinosaurs."
Source

Daft_Cat

You're a hero.

EDIT 1.

On the topic of the soundtrack itself, my first impression is that despite the general sound staying the same, it doesn't quite feel up to the standard of the original trilogy. I can't really discern any core theme, which is surprising since I felt like Shore's "Hobbit" theme from the teaser was incredible..It doesn't really even show up here (thought it would be a recurring motif). Was that even his work?

Hope the full tracks prove me wrong anyway.

EDIT 2.

OH SHIT. Just discovered there's an expandable disc 2 worth of samples. Perhaps my impressions will change?

EDIT 3.

Second disc is where it's at.

jb1234

As far as samples go, I found the second disc more engaging than the first. It has most of the action material, for one. I agree the first disc is a little underwhelming. It sounds like LotR but without the distinctive thematic material... or really any that I could make out.

The songs are irritating (and in the case of the one on the second disc, awful).

Altazor

I like the Song of the Lonely Mountain.

I feel like it will play better when you hear the whole thing.

I liked it too. Edmond Dantes made a case a while ago that a May it Be-style song wouldn't have worked for this because it's meant to represent an elvish sound, or something like that. This one's an adventure dominated by the dwarves' presence, and thus the sounds should be rougher and "earthier".

Mother of god. The theater in Manchester, CT is doing the Extended Edition trilogy marathon. I must get the day off. I must find others to go, because the wife wont sit in the theater that long.

Got my tix to opening day HFR 3D session. Prime seats. Fuckers advertised tickets going up at midnight and didn't put them up till 9am. Cunts!

It's weird, though the AMC in NOLA has listings for regular, real d, 3d and imax 3d, but none of them mention HFR at all. I'll probably give em a call or something before I order just to be sure
Same. That site lists rave in Manchester, ct has having HFR but the Rave site itself does not. And the list of theaters on thronering.net doesn't list it either.

ghostmind

All set for HFR 3D with the recent theater updates... my eyeballs are ready!

EDIT: Tickets for the first showing purchased - dead center middle seats!

Those people mentioning that they might skip the HFR because they don't want the 3D headache should note that the '3D' headache is often caused by the crazy amount of ghosting that goes on - which is what 48fps will fix in 3D showings.

Also, you sonsabitches need to stop listening to every Shore track. That is going to be one of the best parts of the movie and you're spoiling it! I listened to the first track a week or so ago and that was enough for me. :)

Peru

Eh, recognising themes will only make it sweeter. Of course Howard Shore is the one to finally get me hyped for the movie.

GCX

Yeah, I'm not spoiling the whole score before watching the movie, it needs to be heard in context first.

Loxley

Yeah, I'm not spoiling the whole score before watching the movie, it needs to be heard in context first.

Yep, that's what I've decided to do. I listened the two tracks that were released prior yesterday, but other than that I'm going in blind. Or, I guess, deaf :)

Rootbeer

Banned
All set for HFR 3D with the recent theater updates... my eyeballs are ready!

EDIT: Tickets for the first showing purchased - dead center middle seats!

bleh no fair i want a theater with assigned seating.
it is sometimes more a curse than a blessing, but for showings you KNOW will be sold out it's useful

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
http://www.qobuz.com/album/the-hobb...ck-special-edition-howard-shore/0794043163920

Samples of every track on the special edition soundtrack. As you'd expect, it sounds a lot like LotR. ;) Plenty of reprises of themes from the original trilogy.
Most excellent, most excellent indeed.

The Edge of the Wild and Erebor are brilliant. Think we've found the new epic, bomastic themes akin to Khazad-dum, Glamdring and Lighting of the Beacons and the Fellowship theme itself.

What's interesting about sessions being sold in Australia is that ALL 3D sessions at participating HFR cinemas are 48fps and they don't mention that. So people booking for a normal 3D session will have NFI what they're in for unless they specifically go to the movie site's Hobbit page.

I just hope we don't get people yelling at the projectionist during the screening. :(

Hopefully there is a little introduction or something explaining 48fps.

What's interesting about sessions being sold in Australia is that ALL 3D sessions at participating HFR cinemas are 48fps and they don't mention that. So people booking for a normal 3D session will have NFI what they're in for unless they specifically go to the movie site's Hobbit page.

I just hope we don't get people yelling at the projectionist during the screening. :(

Hopefully there is a little introduction or something explaining 48fps.

Yeah will be interesting. When will we get some reviews/impressions of it?

Sweet, looks like Christchurch is also getting 48fps version. I really wanna check it out... but I don't want the 3D. So conflicted.

I would highly suggest people who aren't fans of 3D to at least give the 48fps 3D a chance because I think thats where 48fps will be impressive. 2D will be more odd to our eyes I bet.

I would highly suggest people who aren't fans of 3D to at least give the 48fps 3D a chance because I think thats where 48fps will be impressive. 2D will be more odd to our eyes I bet.

I think I might try it on a second viewing. I've just booked us in for the 2D screening for now. Bring on December 12. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom