• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altazor

I know it's not really related to The Hobbit but it's a dwarven melody, and I think I already posted it in this thread a while ago but I don't care: this is beautiful and if it somehow makes it to The Hobbit trilogy, I'll be a happy man. It's such a gorgeous and sad piece of music.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I know it's not really related to The Hobbit but it's a dwarven melody, and I think I already posted it in this thread a while ago but I don't care: this is beautiful and if it somehow makes it to The Hobbit trilogy, I'll be a happy man. It's such a gorgeous and sad piece of music.
Entering Smaug's layer for the first time after he goes to Lake-town would be a perfect opportunity.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Lovely shot.

tumblr_md70unzYIJ1rkdormo1_1280.jpg

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;44176351 said:
My spangly OT. :(

Oh I won't be abandoning the OT discussion or anything, I'm just talking about trying to avoid any new trailers and listening to the OST pre-first watch :)

Edmond Dantès;44195995 said:
Lovely shot.

tumblr_md70unzYIJ1rkdormo1_1280.jpg

I think I'm quite ready for another adventure.

Blizzard

Banned
Edmond Dantès;44202283 said:
Yes, indeed.

Looks like they've found
Lonely Mountain
For some reason I never pictured
it having snow on top, or grass anywhere nearby since it'd be a desolation
. However, I haven't read the book in probably 10 years so it may very well be described exactly in that fashion.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
. However, I haven't read the book in probably 10 years so it may very well be described exactly in that fashion.
A bit of post production should do the job.

Really looking forward to it, but I really hate how the dwarves look, specifically Thorin, who looks really fucking stupid.

Christopher Lee better be in every movie. In fact, they should have him be the main character. Just have him do monologues for 2 hours in each film.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Really looking forward to it, but I really hate how the dwarves look, specifically Thorin, who looks really fucking stupid.

Christopher Lee better be in every movie. In fact, they should have him be the main character. Just have him do monologues for 2 hours in each film.
He has a tiny role in the trilogy, almost a cameo really. His health held him back quite a bit so all of his filming was done in London.
Gandalf's left hand. :-(
Pesky Balrog.

Loxley

WETA end up digitally replacing most of the mountains anyway, due to many of them being considered sacred by New Zealand's Maori people. This works in Jackson's favor since he can essentially have WETA create the perfect looking mountain for what they need.

The dwarves have grown on me, though it will irk me during the movies that their beards and hair colours aren't correct.

bengraven

Gandalf pondering is my favorite Gandalf. When he has that look on his face where he's deeply thinking.

God, gives me chills. I'd go gay for Ian if he would wear the hairy eyebrows and long grey wig.

Damn i almost forgot this was coming soon... it's still slated for this year right?

It's funny seeing Gandalf and Thorin stand next to each other at the same height :p (or Thorin even being slightly taller )

in less than 4 weeks I will be fly fishing new zealand for a month again.
such a wonderful country and amazing scenery.

Man last year when I was there fly fishing I came across the crew filming, they where way up the valley but I could see the chopper flying and doing some arial shots.

I also fished at the foot of edoras :)

GhaleonEB

Do we know how far through the book the first part goes? I've been reading The Hobbit to my kids at night. We're a bit into Flies and Spiders now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't like the costume design in this. It looks like expensive Halloween costumes. Also the dwarves don't look like dwarves. The one in the original trilogy was great.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I don't like the costume design in this. It looks like expensive Halloween costumes. Also the dwarves don't look like dwarves. The one in the original trilogy was great.
It was needed as the Dwarves in the LOTR trilogy looked like carbon copies of each other, being able to distinguish the 13 Dwarves in The Hobbit is key.

jb1234

So the soundtrack is potentially already out of date?

As mentioned, the soundtrack was never likely complete. Plus, with more recording of music for the upcoming extended edition, I'm betting they were always planning on releasing an even bigger set in the future.

I'm just happy they're letting Shore rewrite music for last-minute edits as opposed to doing butcher edits to existing music.

(Like the climax to Phantom Menace. Man, I bet that pissed John Williams off...)

As mentioned, the soundtrack was never likely complete. Plus, with more recording of music for the upcoming extended edition, I'm betting they were always planning on releasing an even bigger set in the future.

I'm just happy they're letting Shore rewrite music for last-minute edits as opposed to doing butcher edits to existing music.

(Like the climax to Phantom Menace. Man, I bet that pissed John Williams off...)

What about the climax in Phantom Menace pissed off John Williams? That fanfare music? That did kinda sound out of place from all the other Star Wars music in both trilogies. While we're on the subject, what are the chances of any themes from the LOTR trilogy making it into the Hobbit -- any of the lesser known riffs being given more prominence this time around?

The only theme from Star Wars I can recall was the Emperor's theme from the classic trilogy being expanded upon in the prequels. Am I wrong on this or did I miss something.

jb1234

What about the climax in Phantom Menace pissed off John Williams? That fanfare music? That did kinda sound out of place from all the other Star Wars music in both trilogies.

John Williams wrote music to the end battle of Phantom Menace and then, Lucas re-edited the whole thing, forcing music editors to hack the music to pieces in order to make it fit. It's harder to notice in the movie because of all the sound effects but you can hear the butchery in all its glory in the 2 CD Phantom Menace soundtrack they released (which presents the music as heard in the film as opposed to the music as recorded).

ascii42

Edmond Dantès;44220904 said:
It was needed as the Dwarves in the LOTR trilogy looked like carbon copies of each other, being able to distinguish the 13 Dwarves in The Hobbit is key.

Yeah, having a bunch of Gimlis running around would be a problem.

Edmond Dantès;44220904 said:

I don't mind how they have different beards and faces and stuff.

But a lot of them look so completely un-dwarf like it's really distracting.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I don't mind how they have different beards and faces and stuff.

But a lot of them look so completely un-dwarf like it's really distracting.
The general audience and non-Tolkien fans will find it far easy to empathise with characters that are more humanised in appearance. Kili for example is clearly the eye candy and Thorin the more dashing archetypal hero in terms of appearance who'll appeal to men and women alike.

GhaleonEB

Edmond Dantès;44220745 said:
Just after the eagle rescue.

Originally (before it became a trilogy) it was to end during the barrel sequence.

Thanks. That's....not very long into the story. There's got to be a lot of bloat to pad that much of the book into an entire movie.

Edmond Dantès;44223271 said:
The general audience and non-Tolkien fans will find it far easy to empathise with characters that are more humanised in appearance. Kili for example is clearly the eye candy and Thorin the more dashing archetypal hero in terms of appearance who'll appeal to men and women alike.

Yeah, I understand why they did it. But for me, a huge dwarf fan, it's really underwhelming. I don't blame them for doing it though.

Edmond Dantès;44225675 said:
The White Council and the expanded Goblin Town sequence should add quite a bit.

And maybe they'll actually have balls and have Bilbo fight in the final battle instead of "oh, he got knocked out and woke up when it was over."

Loxley

I don't know, of all the dwarves the only ones that don't look like stereotypical dwarves to me are Kili, Fili, and Bofur. The the rest have at least most of the ingredients; big noses, beards, stout build, etc. Overall I'd say the vast majority of them look like great, and honestly I don't mind not having 13 butt-ugly characters to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom