• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
Anyone know which ones are liemax (fake imax) and which ones are real imax in the GTA? I'm pretty sure Courtney Park is liemax.

You can consult this guide but it seems to be only up-to-date as of 2009. Not sure if that is correct or not.

Even if you find a HFR IMAX 3D Hobbit showing that is on an 'IMAX' it is definitely using digital projection not an imax projector, so it won't be full IMAX resolution even if it's on a fullsize IMAX screen. Supposedly it won't be 4K either because of the hardware limits of being able to project all that data. I'd love to be wrong on this, if anyone can show any screens projecting in both HFR, 4K and 3D... that'd be nice

Either way, I'd see it in either HFR IMAX 3D or HFR 3D + Dolby Atmos, whichever appeals to you more. As for sound, Atmos is the more cutting edge but who knows if that will be of much benefit.

*edit* found and even more updated list... well now i'm bummed cause that list claims the IMAX i'm going to in Dublin is not a "real" imax like the one at the Metreon (even though previous info had me believing it was a real one)... but the Metreon is showing the Hobbit in regular IMAX, not HFR... sigh, this whole situation is a clusterfuck IMO. Make sure you research where you buy your tickets VERY CAREFULLY

Pachinko

In spite of my earlier E-mail reply it looks as though any ULTRA AVX screen in canada will be playing the hobbit in HFR 3D , I just checked now and it looks like all 3 Ultra AVX screen in Edmonton are getting it (north , south and WEM). Looks like HFR 2D isn't happening anywhere though.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
And maybe they'll actually have balls and have Bilbo fight in the final battle instead of "oh, he got knocked out and woke up when it was over."
That would go against the spirit of what Tolkien intended.
That iconic scene signifies the end of the Tookish side of Bilbo taking precedence and the Baggins side coming back to the fore, hence signalling the beginning of the end of his grand adventure. It also illustrates to the reader that there's more to the narrative than Bilbo's adventure and that Bilbo is just a small part of a much larger world full of dramas and political intrigue.

Having said that, the battle will be glorious to behold, unless Peter is very brave and follows the book to the letter.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Alan Lee doing his thing.

DIASn.png

pBO5j.png

Can't wait for the Alan Lee, John Howe art book.

Tizoc

Wait this is a trilogy now? Well whatevs, looking forward to the first movie, didn't know it was releasing this year XP

Edmond Dantès;44055115 said:
AMC releases 48fps list

http://www.amctheatres.com/events/the-hobbit-high-frame-rate-theatres

That means the following options:

The Hobbit 2D standard
The Hobbit 3D standard
The Hobbit HFR 2D
The Hobbit HFR 3D (the recommended option)

OK, help.

My theater (Pittsburgh) is on the list, but when I search for HFR 3D at my theater it says there are no showings. Have the tickets just not gone on sale yet?

Hi-res look at a warg:

61720710151331306328185.jpg

That's what I'm talking about.

Ew. Too much CG, it is very cartoony. I really dug the old look, I would have liked to see the more Hyena like appearance make a return.

Edmond Dantès;44166230 said:
New images

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=69855

Love the Elven architecture, very benefiting of the first of Iluvatar's children.

So much CG. =(

I do dig the goblins, but man I hope they looks more natural in motion.

OK, help.

Ew. Too much CG, it is very cartoony. I really dug the old look, I would have liked to see the more Hyena like appearance make a return.

So much CG. =(

I do dig the goblins, but man I hope they looks more natural in motion.

Eww, fuck no to the hyena-looking wargs. I thought those were the stupidest looking things in the entire trilogy, and a crazy departure from the way wargs are traditionally described.

Lol at the comments on the CG like you can achieve what they want to achieve practically...... The goblins look incredible, plus CG characters always look better in motion, and we're talking about WETA digital here.

Loxley

I still can't fathom why people prefer the old crappy hyena-looking wargs. The things looked like they were rendered in a week (which isn't that far from the truth), the fur in particular looked terrible. WETA clearly took their time with the new ones.

Old n' busted:

wargt.jpg

New hotness:

77805304318676348257201.jpg

Their faces actually look vaguely bat-like, which I think is pretty cool.

Amalthea

Banned
Yeah, finally the wargs look like they should. The Hyena Wargs were the thing that bothered me the most in the original trilogy.

Lol at the comments on the CG like you can achieve what they want to achieve practically...... The goblins look incredible, plus CG characters always look better in motion, and we're talking about WETA digital here.

To be fair, CG is not one of the things that holds up in the LotR trilogy, outside of some fantastic scenes with Gollum.

Cheebo

Banned
Edmond Dantès;44233005 said:
That would go against the spirit of what Tolkien intended.
That iconic scene signifies the end of the Tookish side of Bilbo taking precedence and the Baggins side coming back to the fore, hence signalling the beginning of the end of his grand adventure. It also illustrates to the reader that there's more to the narrative than Bilbo's adventure and that Bilbo is just a small part of a much larger world full of dramas and political intrigue.

Having said that, the battle will be glorious to behold, unless Peter is very brave and follows the book to the letter.
Peter Jackson has already gone on record and said bilbo will not be
knocked out
during the battle. He said it works in a book but not in a film.

Do I need to bail out of this thread? I'm starting to feel like it's coming to that time where I ought to be bailing out of this thread. I'm feeling a little overexposed.

knocked out
during the battle. He said it works in a boom but not in a film.

Yeah I had a hard time seeing PJ keeping that aspect of the battle.

Edit: ^^^ you've never read the book, Sculli?

CG looks fine when rewatching LOTR Extended on BR, I mean really, some shots are dodgy, but man, got no problemo with it, fascinating how opinions differ not only on movies but on special effects as well, and I really hate when CG looks bad.

Cheebo

Banned
I think you'll one day regret that. There is something more magical about experiencing Middle-Earth first through Tolkien.

I think you'll one day regret that. There is something more magical about experiencing Middle-Earth first through Tolkien.

I tend to agree. Your choice of course, but as good as the movies are (I love all three of them, flaws an all), they pale in comparison to the books.

But hey, at least you'll have a consistent experience.

I tend to agree. Your choice of course, but as good as the movies are (I love all three of them, flaws an all), they pale in comparison to the books.

But hey, at least you'll have a consistent experience.

That and I won't be mentally comparing what I'm seeing in the film to the book while I'm watching it.

It's part of the reason the Ender's Game movie is probably going to be the most torturous things ever - outside of it having a fucking awful director choice and studio behind it.

That and I won't be mentally comparing what I'm seeing in the film to the book while I'm watching it.

It's part of the reason the Ender's Game movie is probably going to be the most torturous things ever - outside of it having a fucking awful director choice and studio behind it.

Very true, no doubts there. I'm already mentally preparing myself for some fairly sweeping changes if a lot of what I'm reading about the movie is true. I'm trying very hard to divorce the movie from the book, and to keep in mind that what I'm seeing on the big screen is an adaption, not an identical, visual recreation. Same thing I did for the previous movies.

Loxley

Yeah...I'm worried about how I'll handle the Ender's Game adaption. It was one of my favorite books when I was a kid in my pre-Tolkien days, so that'll be an interesting one. The cast seems decent, but my confidence in Gavin Hood as a director is practically non-existent.

Yeah...I'm worried about how I'll handle the Ender's Game adaption. It was one of my favorite books when I was a kid in my pre-Tolkien days, so that'll be an interesting one.

OSC has already said the story isn't the story told in the book. Summit Entertainment only purchased it to appeal to the Twilight audience since that franchise is wrapped now.

Yeah...

:(

How could you possibly know this? I don't mean to sound offensive but you can't possibly know which way around is better (reading the book first or seeing the movie) because you can only have experienced one really.

raphier

Banned
knocked out
during the battle. He said it works in a book but not in a film.
liar! that's why you have
so many side characters to show.
Of course it's less dramatic way of doing it, but if done right it will work.

So any clue why my theater (Pittsburgh) does not seem to have HFR 3D despite being on the list? I really would like to buy tickets..

Eww, fuck no to the hyena-looking wargs. I thought those were the stupidest looking things in the entire trilogy, and a crazy departure from the way wargs are traditionally described.

Eh, I liked em. They were unique in design, and really reminded me of something real yet different, and they seemed to belong in Jacksons Middle Earth. They had a very Ice Age animal look to them and it really seemed to fit in with the themes of the films IMO. The new look is incredibly generic.

Uh? I bet the Goblins could be done practically, at least in part. Or at the very least, the CG could less obviously look like CG. The Hobbit is no small movie.. there is no reasons in today's CG market that a film like it should have such obvious usages of it. This just has so much obvious CG all over the place it seems.. I really liked how physical and real a lot of things were in LOTR.

I still can't fathom why people prefer the old crappy hyena-looking wargs. The things looked like they were rendered in a week (which isn't that far from the truth), the fur in particular looked terrible. WETA clearly took their time with the new ones.

Old n' busted:

wargt.jpg

New hotness:

77805304318676348257201.jpg

Their faces actually look vaguely bat-like, which I think is pretty cool.

Looks like a cartoony Twilight werewolf mixed with the wolf from 300. That face is just really bad looking IMO... maybe I would dig it more if it looked less like "lol generic evil CG wolf". I do realize they may look better in motion though. But ugh, that new Warg looks like some random monster movie CG..blah.

Ainaurdur

So any clue why my theater (Pittsburgh) does not seem to have HFR 3D despite being on the list? I really would like to buy tickets..

Call and talk to the manager if you can. My local Regal theatre which has been on several lists as having the HFR 3D does not really specify it on the tickets or listing. But the manager there assured me that the shows in the RPX rooms would be the HFR 3D version.

You might have a similar situation.
Just wish all of the theatres would be more upfront about it, get on board with consistent and honest format disclosure.

And you can be certain that I will raise complaints if, on the day, it turns out to be incorrect and I got tickets for the wrong show.

GCX

I really like the song. Like I said before, it probably matches perfectly with the tone of the first movie.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Gandalf's blog: Has Peter Jackson changed?
It's a fair enough question to ask about a director who has been so fêted and honoured since he delivered the LOTR trilogy to millions of grateful film-goers a decade ago.  But the basic answer is No: he's still the same Kiwi, who loves nothing more than making films in his native country, surrounded by faithful colleagues whom he trusts and admires. It says a lot, for instance, that Andrew Lesnie, the brilliant cinematographer who shared in the Oscar bounty for LOTR, has since worked with Peter on King Kong and The Lovely Bones and is now back for The Hobbit adventure.  I've never seen a director and cinematographer so in synch, with never any disagreement on set.

Hollywood hasn't manage to lure PJ away from home, though there must have been offers galore. Why would he want to abandon the comfort and convenience of his own newly furbished studios and workshops so close to his family home on the Wellington Bay?  In New Zealand, he is a a national hero – indeed "Sir" Peter, now knighthoods have been restored by the current government.  Locals point out his achievements and purchases: "That's the church, that's the theatre, that's the house that Sir Peter has just saved from demolition.  That's where he keeps his collection of World War One aeroplanes and that's where his personal jet is stored."  Where he keeps all the Middle-earth remnants of the trilogy, I don't know: but I hope they'll eventually be seen on display in a permanent exhibition, if the Tolkien estate ever allows it.

Oh, one surprising change I have noticed.  Shoes are optional in New Zealand and most days Peter shot LOTR barefoot as a hobbit.  But on The Hobbit filming he was always well shod, padding through the leaf mould and rubble of the sets in regular footwear.

— Ian McKellen, London, 12 November 2012

Lear

I'm not hugely keen on the song. It sounds a bit like an 80s folk band doing a Tolkien concept album or something. It's not awful, and it's growing on me the more I listen to it, I must admit. I'm assuming it's the closing credits song, as it'd be incredibly jarring if it shows up in the film itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom