• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'm not hugely keen on the song. It sounds a bit like an 80s folk band doing a Tolkien concept album or something. It's not awful, and it's growing on me the more I listen to it, I must admit. I'm assuming it's the closing credits song, as it'd be incredibly jarring if it shows up in the film itself.
Tis the end credits song akin to May It Be, Gollum's Song and Into The West.

-griffy-

Banned
CG looks fine when rewatching LOTR Extended on BR, I mean really, some shots are dodgy, but man, got no problemo with it, fascinating how opinions differ not only on movies but on special effects as well, and I really hate when CG looks bad.

Yeah. There are some individual shots in each movie that have always looked dodgy since theatrical release, but on the whole the effects hold up incredibly well. Helms Deep still looks largely fantastic, as does Pelennor Fields. That oliphaunt charge is money. There is some incredible tracking, keying and compositing there that still blows me away there.

Yeah. There are some individual shots in each movie that have always looked dodgy since theatrical release, but on the whole the effects hold up incredibly well. Helms Deep still looks largely fantastic, as does Pelennor Fields. That oliphaunt charge is money. There is some incredible tracking, keying and compositing there that still blows me away there.

I always loved this moment in ROTK. I know its not really CG (live action, digital matte & miniature composite), but I love the way the camera nonchalantly pans over to show Minas Tirth.

The local cinema is usually worthless, but it's all I have access to on premiere day. But a friend who works there says they're installing 48 fps equipment in time for the movie... so there's hope.

Loxley

I'm not too thrilled about the end credits song either. Although I'm not really disappointed since Into the West was the only credits song from the LotR trilogy that I really liked. So they've got two other ones coming down the pipe.

Shore is the main attraction anyway, as we all know.

I'm super pumped for this movie.

Call and talk to the manager if you can. My local Regal theatre which has been on several lists as having the HFR 3D does not really specify it on the tickets or listing. But the manager there assured me that the shows in the RPX rooms would be the HFR 3D version.

You might have a similar situation.
Just wish all of the theatres would be more upfront about it, get on board with consistent and honest format disclosure.

And you can be certain that I will raise complaints if, on the day, it turns out to be incorrect and I got tickets for the wrong show.

Ah, yeah I suppose that will do the trick.. still strange that they would advertise it on their site but when I go to buy the tickets it isn't there. Hopefully it will be good news.

Edmond Dantès;44255637 said:
Niel Finn's Song of the Lonely Mountain, full version.

http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/player/neilfinn.html

It really has grown on me, enough to induce goosebumps that's for sure and that is always a good sign.

I like the idea of this song, but I really wish the end credit version was more akin to the trailer version with the Dwarves singing and the strings playing.. that was really good.

Is that going to be in the film?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'm super pumped for this movie.

Ah, yeah I suppose that will do the trick.. still strange that they would advertise it on their site but when I go to buy the tickets it isn't there. Hopefully it will be good news.

I like the idea of this song, but I really wish the end credit version was more akin to the trailer version with the Dwarves singing and the strings playing.. that was really good.

Is that going to be in the film?
Yes, indeed

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
wasnt too sure about the song but after the 10th listen its started to grow awesome, it has a real nice end credit feel to it. Reminded me of the end song in Gladiator for some reason.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Is there much written about what Bilbo does after the Hobbit and prior to the beginning of the Fellowship of the Ring and also during the 17 years that pass after his 111th birthday and before we catch up with him again in Rivendale? He did more than just a lot of reading and writing, right?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Is there much written about what Bilbo does after the Hobbit and prior to the beginning of the Fellowship of the Ring and also during the 17 years that pass after his 111th birthday and before we catch up with him again in Rivendell?
The sixty year gap; no, apart from raising Frodo. The 17 year gap; spending much of his time on the road and eventually settling in Rivendell.

After his grand adventure the Baggins side of him really took hold of him and the spirit of adventure in him was diminished somewhat before been reignited once again after parting with the One Ring.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Youtube link for TV spot 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlMJoOVHWnk

kdRmU.jpg

Edmond Dantès;44270888 said:
The sixty year gap; no, apart from raising Frodo. The 17 year gap; spending much of his time on the road and eventually settling in Rivendell.

After his grand adventure the Baggins side of him really took hold of him and the spirit of adventure in him was diminished somewhat before been reignited once again after parting with the One Ring.

That's a shame. Based on his relationship with the Elves and Aragorn, I was hoping there was an adventure or 2 hinted at in some writing.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
That's a shame. Based on his relationship with the Elves and Aragorn, I was hoping there was an adventure or 2 hinted at in some writing.
You never know, maybe there's a lost parchment somewhere that even Christopher Tolkien hasn't discovered adding Bilbo's lost adventures to the legendarium.

The lyrics to the Song of the Lonely Mountain.

Far over, the Misty Mountains rise
Leave us standing upon the height
What was before, we see once more
Is our kingdom, a distant light

Fiery mountain beneath a moon
The words unspoken: we'll be there soon
For home, a song that echoes on
And all who find us will know the tune

Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven't seen the back of us yet
We will fight as long as we live

All eyes on the hidden way
To the Lonely Mountain pave
We'll ride in the gathering storm
Until we get our long forgotten gold

We lay under the Misty Mountains cold
In slumbers deep and dreams of gold
We must awake, our lives to make
And in the darkness, a torch we hold

From long ago, when lanterns burned
Until this day, our hearts we yearned
A fate unknown, the Arkenstone
What was stolen must be returned

We must awake and mend the ache
To find our song for heart and soul

Haven't seen the end of it yet
We'll fight as long as we live

All eyes on the hidden door
To the Lonely Mountain borne
'Til we get our long forgotten gold

Far away, the Misty Mountains cold

Love this part:

Some folk we never forget (Men and Hobbits?)
Some kind we never forgive (Orcs and Elves?)

Kud Dukan

Edmond Dantès;44272706 said:
You never know, maybe there's a lost parchment somewhere that even Christopher Tolkien hasn't discovered adding Bilbo's lost adventures to the legendarium.

The lyrics to the Song of the Lonely Mountain.

Far over, the Misty Mountains rise
Leave us standing upon the height
What was before, we see once more
Is our kingdom, a distant light

Fiery mountain beneath a moon
The words unspoken: we'll be there soon
For home, a song that echoes on
And all who find us will know the tune

We will fight as long as we live

All eyes on the hidden way
To the Lonely Mountain pave
Until we get our long forgotten gold

We lay under the Misty Mountains cold
In slumbers deep and dreams of gold
We must awake, our lives to make
And in the darkness, a torch we hold

From long ago, when lanterns burned
Until this day, our hearts we yearned
A fate unknown, the Arkenstone
What was stolen must be returned

We must awake and mend the ache
To find our song for heart and soul

Haven't seen the end of it yet

All eyes on the hidden door
To the Lonely Mountain borne
'Til we get our long forgotten gold

Far away, the Misty Mountains cold

Love this part:

Some folk we never forget (Men and Hobbits?)
Some kind we never forgive (Orcs and Elves?)

That song is fantastic. I wasn't sold on it from that short sample we got last week, but hearing it in full as completely changed my opinion on it.

My wife wouldnt bite for the marathon on 12/8. And most likely I would not be able to get a full Saturday off so close to Christmas while being a retail worker. Shame.

Guess I will just have to do the marathon at home.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Its all i can do to contain my excitement, im really trying not to get hyped because of the disappointment that was TDR, i cant imagine how Edmund must feel, must be like a dream come true to have more lotr goodness only a month away.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Its all i can do to contain my excitement, im really trying not to get hyped because of the disappointment that was TDR, i cant imagine how Edmund must feel, must be like a dream come true to have more lotr goodness only a month away.
Not since Return of the King have I anticipated a film as much as An Unexpected Journey. Oh, I'm quite ready for another adventure.

The next few weeks will be doubly exciting for me because I'll also finally get to see Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen with the upcoming 4K screenings of the film. A grandiose warm-up to the main event in December.

Jacob

Edmond Dantès;44287718 said:
The next few weeks will be doubly exciting for me because I'll also finally get to see Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen with the upcoming 4K screenings of the film. A grandiose warm-up to the main event in December.

Heh, I saw Lawrence for the first time during the 4K screenings in the US last month. I heard about it on GAF and decided to go because of all the hype that you and several other people were building up. It was a pretty phenomenal experience for me. I hope it's everything you were looking forward to!

Edmond, I'm in a state of melancholy. As you know I had been slowly re-reading The Count and after a long lull due to work, have plunged straight back into my re-read (due to Don Quixote finally arriving and wanting to get into that asap). Anyway, I just finished the return to the D'If ('History') and my heart is swelling.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Heh, I saw Lawrence for the first time during the 4K screenings in the US last month. I heard about it on GAF and decided to go because of all the hype that you and several other people were building up. It was a pretty phenomenal experience for me. I hope it's everything you were looking forward to!
Thank you. I'll probably be unable to stop smiling throughout the film, so I may have a rather sore face by the end.

Edmond, I'm in a state of melancholy. As you know I had been slowly re-reading The Count and after a long lull due to work, have plunged straight back into my re-read (due to Don Quixote finally arriving and wanting to get into that asap). Anyway, I just finished the return to the D'If ('History') and my heart is swelling.
He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. We must have felt what it is to die, Sculli, that we may appreciate the enjoyments of living and remember all human wisdom is summed up in these two words, -- `Wait and hope.'

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Tried to order a ticket but they said it was too early :( Shit, will have to call them everyday.

xenist

OK that Japanese spot put me over the edge of simple anticipation to spine tingling excitment. Probably because of how damn awesome Shore's instrumental version of the Song Of The Lonely Mountain is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom