• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
God dammit. I said I was only going to listen to it once. Have to listen a second time....
I have thus far refused to give into the temptation of listening to it, but the serpent calls out to me.

gollum_not_listening-e1340383938117.jpg

"I'm not listening."

Edmond Dantès;44307207 said:
I have thus far refused to give into the temptation of listening to it, but the serpent calls out to me.

gollum_not_listening-e1340383938117.jpg

"I'm not listening."

You know you want to! Just the first track, it's awesome :3.

Griegite

still a junior
I almost gave into listening to it but I decided to instead listen to the scores from the Lord of the Rings instead. Good to hear others enjoying it though but I'll wait for when I see the film.

Listening to a soundtrack before the movie is better anyways. The song is already iconic when you listen to it for the first time in the movie, that it's just awesome to hear.

And by the Maiar, is this a fantastic score, fantastic blend of old and new.

I couldn't resist and listened to the first 2 tracks. Man, what a heartwarming feeling listening to the Hobbiton theme again! <3
But since I didn't want to spoil the feeling of listening to this for the first time during the movie, I closed it. So happy that you guys say it's good. I'm so tempted to put it back on... My precious... :D

Question: Is there any "main theme" like the Fellowship theme from the previous trilogy?

I couldn't resist and listened to the first 2 tracks. Man, what a heartwarming feeling listening to the Hobbiton theme again! <3
But since I didn't want to spoil the feeling of listening to this for the first time during the movie, I closed it. So happy that you guys say it's good. I'm so tempted to put it back on... My precious... :D

Question: Is there any "main theme" like the Fellowship theme from the previous trilogy?

Arguably the Lonely Mountain / tune from the trailer.

Moaradin

Yep. Lonely Mountain fits that bill.

The end theme sounds like such a piddly elf mockery. I much preferred the Dwarf ensemble.

Besides that, I can't wait to become immersed in this world again. I've been reading Brian Sibley's official movie guide, I'd recommend it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Has this movie still got the 48fps thing? Or is that only went see it in 3d?
Yes, it's now known as HFR. Combined with 3D, it's called HFR 3D. That's what you should be looking out for if you want to see it in 48fps. The Hobbit in HFR 3D will still be a limited release.

DjRoomba

Banned
Edmond Dantès;44325823 said:
Yes, it's now known as HFR. Combined with 3D, it's called HFR 3D. That's what you should be looking out for if you want to see it in 48fps. The Hobbit in HFR 3D will still be a limited release.

I do not want 48fps. It sounds like a terrible Idea and a potentially dangerous one to the future of the industry. In 3d I guess it's cool cos that's a whole different movie experience anyway, but I was wondering for instance on DVD or non 3d theatr if it would be like that

Chinner

Banned
No way. The score is better when it informs the story, not the other way around.

what if you use the score to make your own stories? for example, i was listening to it today when a bunch of bullies from my high school tried to beat me up, but i managed to outrun with the lotr theme tune playing. nobody messes with wilard jr the great wizard of Nevada City!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Is the Lonely Mountain theme even composed by Shore? Seeing as it's in the first trailer...
From Doug Adams, writer of The Music of The Lord of the Rings and a close associate of Howard:
Shore never uses ghostwriters. He hasn't even used an orchestrator for many years. While it's true that many film composers farm out work, most offer an "additional music by" credit now days. Danny Elfman does this. Hans Zimmer, too.

At any rate, this was not at all the case with The Hobbit. "Misty Mountains" was composed by Plan 9 as a piece of diagetic music -- that is, a piece that was performed by characters in the film. (I'm not giving anything away; it was in the 2011 teaser trailer.) It was a good tune -- and fairly malleable -- so Shore wove it into the score here and there ... though, as you've no doubt noticed in the preview tracks, he made it very much his own. There are some thrilling rhythmic and harmonic variations that are unmistakably in Shore's voice.

None of this was done as a time-saving measure by any means. It was a way to create a beautiful, cohesive whole.

I prefer listening to a score before it comes out as it helps me get more excited and helps pass the time. I've never thought it ruins anything at all.

Ainaurdur

Who is Plan 9? If it's not Shore, are they responsible for the one memorable theme of the soundtrack :mad:?

I just tried searching for "Plan 9 Misty Mountains"... GAF was the second result. ;)

"Plan 9 band" came up with one band in Rhode Island, US and another in Germany. Listened to samples from both and neither really sounded like they would have created the song. There were no announcements on the site of either band.

Going to get more creative in a sec.

edit: Old interview. They are not new to the movies. Did not know this, and I feel like I should have.

I am quite comfortable with this now knowing what part they had in LotR.

I just tried searching for "Plan 9 Misty Mountains"... GAF was the second result. ;)

"Plan 9 band" came up with one band in Rhode Island, US and another in Germany. Listened to samples from both and neither really sounded like they would have created the song. There were no announcements on the site of either band.

Going to get more creative in a sec.

edit: Old interview. They are not new to the movies. Did not know this, and I feel like I should have.

I am quite comfortable with this now knowing what part they had in LotR.

I don't like that they seemed to be in the shadows for so long. Also I don't like that Shore didn't even compose the one piece of music in the Hobbit...

I don't understand people who claim that HFR will ruin the movie. The cinema will probably be your only chance for many years to see it this way. If you have any kind of respect for Peter Jackson's movie making, you should take that chance. There's plenty of chances for you to have your obsolete tech and view it over and over in 24 stutter-o-vision later on.

I can't wait to see it as it was meant to be (if it indeed arrives here) and then, unless it's actually horrible, keep waiting for updated home cinema tech to bring it home. The bluray will be a temporary solution only.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Jim Jannard (CEO of RED) on 48fps
When I 1st heard that PJ would shoot the Hobbit at 48fps... I was skeptical. To me, 24fps was "sometime". 48fps was "this morning".

I have to say that I am now a convert. The way this was shot (thank Andrew Lesnie), the VFX and Gollum... 48fps is "other worldly". In a good way. A way you have never experienced before.

Peter is much smarter than I thought. And I always thought he was pretty smart.

48fps on this movie is like nothing you have ever seen... magnificent.

Wipe your mind of preconceived notions. Forget "the will of the mass mind". This is just plain better.

There are so many reasons why to watch this movie...

Jim
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?89074-48fps-I-ve-converted

I think he says, "Have you done much fighting?"

I really loved that ad though, good exchange between Bilbo and the dwarves.

Oh ok that makes sense.

I actually think this trailer shows that there will be more of an emphasis on the Dwarves taking back what is rightfully theirs aspect of the story more than it shows a difference in Bilbo's personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom