• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
My Tolkien-jargon is not as good as yours, but are you saying the Necromancer isn't in the first film at all?

Because I'm 95 percent certain he is.
Thû is the Necromancer's name in the deeper Tolkien mythos. Like you, I'm sure that he'll make an appearance in An Unexpected Journey, albeit a very small one.

GCX

I wonder if Kalevala would be as terrible in english as it is in finnish for me :lol. I reeeally didn't like the poem style thingy it's written.
I have one Finnish friend who read Kalevala in English because he found it easier to understand. The poem style thingy aka "kalevalanmitta" isn't so strong in English.

raphier

Banned
Edmond Dantès;44380242 said:
Thû is the Necromancer's name in the deeper Tolkien mythos. Like you, I'm sure that he'll make an appearance in An Unexpected Journey, albeit a very small one.

I am fairly certain that the first film is about him. Other wise what are they supposed to pull with three movies? The necromancer, The dragon, the war.

I don't know how many times we gotta go through this, but can those of you who aren't using spoiler tags please use spoiler tags.

Not all of us have read the books.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I am fairly certain that the first film is about him. Other wise what are they supposed to pull with three movies? The necromancer, The dragon, the war.
He'll be the overarching villain of the trilogy, obscured in the shadows, while secondary villains come to the fore in the first two films; the Goblin King and Bolg in the first and Smaug in the second. Thû will finally come to the fore in There and Back Again.

It's a shame really, it shouldn't be about
Sauron/Thû's rise
, but should absolutely focus on Bilbo's adventure.
I don't know how many times we gotta go through this, but can those of you who aren't using spoiler tags please use spoiler tags.

Not all of us have read the books.
You needn't worry, anything mentioned in the last few posts is just ancillary material by Tolkien and has nothing to do with the novel itself. It's mere speculation as to whether any of the ancillary material will even be used by Peter, Fran and Philippa or whether they'll invent there own narrative.

kingocfs

Edmond Dantès;44382137 said:
He'll be the overarching villain of the trilogy, obscured in the shadows, while secondary villains come to the fore in the first two films; the Goblin King and Bolg in the first and Smaug in the second. Thû will finally come to the fore in There and Back Again.

It's a shame really, it shouldn't be about
Sauron/Thû's rise
, but should absolutely focus on Bilbo's adventure.
You needn't worry, anything mentioned in the last few posts is just ancillary material by Tolkien and has nothing to do with the novel itself. It's mere speculation as to whether any of the ancillary material will even be used by Peter, Fran and Philippa or whether they'll invent there own narrative.

I don't know, I am not getting the sense that
this trilogy is going to be more focused on Sauron's rise. I mean, they've kept all of that part of the story so under wraps to this point you have to believe it's because Bilbo and co's adventure will take precedent. Two, maybe three trailers and not even a mention of any of it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I don't know, I am not getting the sense that
this trilogy is going to be more focused on Sauron's rise. I mean, they've kept all of that part of the story so under wraps to this point you have to believe it's because Bilbo and co's adventure will take precedent. Two, maybe three trailers and not even a mention of any of it.
I hope you're right, I'd love to see more of Tolkien's legendarium adapted, but as a separate entity to The Hobbit. Adding a few bits here and there is fine but
shifting the focus to Sauron's rise (as fond as I am of the character) seems like too much of attempt to align The Hobbit with The Lord of the Rings.

This is Bilbo and Dwarves' time to shine, let them always be the focus of the trilogy.

raphier

Banned
Edmond Dantès;44382137 said:
I think Goblin King will be there for a couple of scenes and Bolg will have much more prominent role. The Third movie depends entirely of what they are going to film next year. As long as they don't film too much of fill material, It's going to be ok, even if it turns different from the book.

I would like to rewatch my EE trilogy blurays but I told myself I'd finish my read through the trilogy before watching it again. I flew through the Fellowship in a few days but I've been distracted while I very slowly read through the Two Towers over weeks. I'm nearing the end of TTT now and have switched to the Kindle version. I'm back on it again.

What are the odds that a better EE bluray bundle will release in the future? I don't actually own a bluray player or PS3 but I'm wondering if I should grab these anyway for the price.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Been a while since I read anything directly by Tolkien, mostly inspirations behind his work in recent months and bits of The Hobbit when travelling.

Must finish off the d'Artagnan Romances; The Three Musketeers (done), Twenty Years After (reading), The Vicomte of Bragelonne, Louise de la Vallière and The Man in the Iron Mask before I reacquaint myself with Tolkien.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
What are the odds that a better EE bluray bundle will release in the future? I don't actually own a bluray player or PS3 but I'm wondering if I should grab these anyway for the price.
Very likely.

An ultimate edition Blu-ray with all six extended films and The Hobbit extras in HD. Maybe a few more unseen scenes from The Lord of the Rings trilogy as well.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;44388065 said:
Very likely.

An ultimate edition Blu-ray with all six extended films and The Hobbit extras in HD. Maybe a few more unseen scenes from The Lord of the Rings trilogy as well.

I can definitely envision a future where WB releases a 5K Resolution version of the LotR films to match The Hobbit trilogy, since we know TVs will get there at some point.

C4Lukins

I hate the marketing so far. They are fucking up gollum once again. When he says he is going to eat you whole in the novel, it is scary and not a punchline. Oh and the latest trailer is cut as a film about bumbling dwarfs, not an epic adventure. I hope for the best.

I haven't read the novel, and I have only seen the LOTR movies. I love them, and I am looking forward to this. Just one question.......what's up with the normal looking dwarf? He just looks like a regular bro.

Aaron

I haven't read the novel, and I have only seen the LOTR movies. I love them, and I am looking forward to this. Just one question.......what's up with the normal looking dwarf? He just looks like a regular bro.
Maybe his dad was a human that didn't mind beards.

DodgerSan

I hate the marketing so far. They are fucking up gollum once again. When he says he is going to eat you whole in the novel, it is scary and not a punchline. Oh and the latest trailer is cut as a film about bumbling dwarfs, not an epic adventure. I hope for the best.

To be fair, until they get it together at the end, the novel is about a bunch of bumbling dwarves too!

Chuckie

Edmond Dantès;44380242 said:

Not nescessairily the 'deeper mythos', rather a name Tolkien used and later changed. I doubt they will use that in the movie, considering Tolkien himself didn't use it anymore.

Just 16 days away from the first Academy screening.

5:00 pm, Sunday, December 2

HARMONY GOLD PREVIEW HOUSE
7655 Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles

WB have listed 31 Academy screenings. 10 of them are in 48 FPS 3D, the rest are 2D.

Jinroh

I have a question. The movie being at something like 48 frames per second, will it be compatible with a bluray player? If yes, will it play on a 100 hertz TV?

Or will it be only for theaters?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Not nescessairily the 'deeper mythos', rather a name Tolkien used and later changed. I doubt they will use that in the movie, considering Tolkien himself didn't use it anymore.
He was still using the name after the publication of The Hobbit in another work of his, which was rejected by the publisher of The Hobbit, evidently he was quite keen on it and would have most probably used it in the new 1960 Hobbit if he had attempted to finish it.

It's been said before in this thread, that the new, more detailed, serious Hobbit that was more alligned with The Lord of the Rings would have been very interesting to read and could have stood alongside the original Hobbit, rather than replacing it.

Ithil

"Bumbling dwarves" describes much of the novel pretty well.

ascii42

I have a question. The movie being at something like 48 frames per second, will it be compatible with a bluray player? If yes, will it play on a 100 hertz TV?

Or will it be only for theaters?

I believe a new blu-ray specification will have to come out. Presumably, at least the PS3 would get this update. As for televisions, I'm reasonably certain they would have to be at least 240 hz (240 is the least common multiple of 48 and 60). I haven't heard anything about TVs supporting 48 fps yet.

Chuckie

Edmond Dantès;44400888 said:
He was still using the name after the publication of The Hobbit in another work of his, which was rejected by the publisher of The Hobbit, evidently he was quite keen on it and would have most probably used it in the new 1960 Hobbit if he had attempted to finish it..

How do you mean he was keen on it? All I can find about it, that it was used in one work, the Lay of Leithian. In my opinion (with the limited things I read about it, I admit) it has been a year long proces/evolution in which the 'bad guy' in his different books have been evolved along the story, and in the end Sauron and Thu the Necromancer were all the 'same'.
It almost feels like retconning considering Sauron could not yet take physical form, yet the Necromancer probably will have just that ;)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
How do you mean he was keen on it? All I can find about it, that it was used in one work, the Lay of Leithian. In my opinion (with the limited things I read about it, I admit) it has been a year long proces/evolution in which the 'bad guy' in his different books have been evolved along the story, and in the end Sauron and Thu the Necromancer were all the 'same'.
It almost feels like retconning considering Sauron could not yet take physical form, yet the Necromancer probably will have just that ;)
He kept the name in The Lay in Leithian up until his proposal to have it published by Allen & Unwin, who asked for more material after The Hobbit. They said no and also continually dismissed The Silmarillion during his lifetime. He also mentioned the name in rough plot points while drafting the 1960 Hobbit. Why continue to use it if he wasn't keen on using that name for The Necromancer.

This is one of many topics that was discussed at the Tolkien Society's Return of the Ring event in August by fellow Tolkien scholars far beyond me in expertise and knowledge of Tolkien.

It's actually one of the most controversial and most debated issues in scholarly circles. Whether or not later musings/theories/writings by Tolkien have more weight to them than older writings by Tolkien already published. The general consensus is that latter writings do indeed supercede older writings. For example; Tolkien's theory as to the origins of the Orcs. In the published material, it's supposed that the Orcs were Elves taken in by Melkor before they encountered Oromë and hence made the journey to Valinor, but Tolkien's latter theory supposed that they were originally degenerate men taken in by Melkor when he appeared to them as a saviour in fair form and in the process corrupting the Gift of Iluvatar (death, freedom for the soul, not to be bound to Arda).The dark history that the Race of Men are so reluctant to talk about, which occurred long before they took part in the history of the Elves. Not to mention the Maiar Orc commanders theory; the Boldog.

Another example; the Prophecy of the Dagor Dagorath. The final battle between Melkor returned from the void and the host of Iluvatar. In the earlier works it is a resurrected Turin who finally destroys Melkor, but in later works this final battle doesn't occur at all and is a different battle.

What adds to the confusion is a certain group of people who only consider the following works to be valid as they were published during Tolkien's lifetime:

The Hobbit
Farmer Giles of Ham
The Lord of the Rings
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
Tree and Leaf
Smith of Wootten Major

These purists write-off The Silmarillion and The Unfinished Tales as merely fan fiction.

Welcome to the fractured world of Tolkien scholarly.

Ixion

Sil is better than LOTR.

The stories are more interesting maybe, but it's certainly not written better.

But we all know that if the The Silmarillion was properly fleshed out, it would be the greatest piece of art ever created.

Ainaurdur

I just received my LotR EE Blu-Ray set. I might be watching them tonight with a couple friends, not sure if I can talk them into watching all 3 tonight though. I am excited.

I honestly think trilogy of 3 hour movies is enough for both the Bilbos journey and bumbling dwarves and the other stuff with Necro and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom