• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

The Hobbit may quite possibly one of the most beautiful films made to date, man...the color palette is just outstanding.

I'm going to see this in 24fps 3D first, then I'll go see the HFR version a few days later. Is anyone else doing this? I just want to experience the film first without the fear of being distracted by the higher frame rate.

Loxley

I'm going to see this in 24fps 3D first, then I'll go see the HFR version a few days later. Is anyone else doing this? I just want to experience the film first without the fear of being distracted by the higher frame rate.

My first viewing will be in 2D and 24fps, for the same reason you mentioned. I wanted the first time I see the film to be the old-fashioned way, since that's how saw the Lord of the Rings films. The second time I see it it'll be in HFR 3D, so then I can make a proper judgement for myself which one I liked more.

For me there's always the risk I won't like the 48fps, as optimistic as I am about it. So I just want my first viewing to be - as you said - without fear of distraction.

Personally I want my first viewing to be seeing it the way it was meant to be seen, so I'll be going 3D HFR. I'll probably go see a 2D version later as well.

Personally I want my first viewing to be seeing it the way it was meant to be seen, so I'll be going 3D HFR. I'll probably go see a 2D version later as well.

This is where I stand. Peter Jackson intended from the ground up for this movie to be seen in 3d at 48fps, and because it's a brave move I'll see it that way first.

Seeking out 48fps 3D for my first viewing because that was the way it was intended. If there were any Dolby Atmos theaters nearby I would hunt that down too.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I do wonder what the percentage is between people wanting to see The Hobbit trilogy for the technology involved and those who want to see it because they're either Tolkien fans or fans of The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Edmond Dantès;44344479 said:
I do wonder what the percentage is between people wanting to see The Hobbit trilogy for the technology involved and those who want to see it because they're either Tolkien fans or fans of The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I am wanting to see it for both. I would be there at midnight just because it is The Hobbit. The fact that it is pushing a new tech out is just icing on the cake.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
How long ago this seems now.

GVXfA.jpg

LPhpK.jpg

9ZO1y.jpg

Watevaman

Just so you guys know, Amazon has the LotR Extended Editions blu-ray in their gold box today. It's ~$44.

I'm not sure if I should pick it up or if it'll go cheaper on BF. I already have the extended editions on DVD, but this is a mighty fine deal for a 15 disc set.

If I were to go super in-depth for the background on the mythology behind Middle-Earth, what books would you consider to be required reading?

The books I have are:

Saga of the Volsungs
Edda
Paradise Lost

Looking to pick up any other mythology/folk lore books.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
If I were to go super in-depth for the background on the mythology behind Middle-Earth, what books would you consider to be required reading?

The books I have are:

Saga of the Volsungs
Edda
Paradise Lost

Looking to pick up any other mythology/folk lore books.
The Mabinogion
The Gods of Pegana
The Book of Wonder
The Marvellous Land of Snergs
The Saga of King Heidrek the Wise
The Kalevala
Alvíssmál
Prose Edda
Poetic Edda
Elder Edda
Plato's The Republic
The Yellow Fairy Book
The Green Fairy Book

That's a good start, there are many others, but I don't want to overwhelm you with reading material.

Tolkien scholarly is a wonderful thing, it opens you up to certain literature you wouldn't have even heard of but for your passion for Tolkien.

Edmond Dantès;44369911 said:
The Mabinogion
The Gods of Pegana
The Book of Wonder
The Marvellous Land of Snergs
The Saga of King Heidrek the Wise
The Kalevala
Alvíssmál
Prose Edda
Poetic Edda
Elder Edda
Plato's The Republic
The Yellow Fairy Book
The Green Fairy Book

That's a good start, there are many others, but I don't want to overwhelm you with reading material.

Tolkien scholarly is a wonderful thing, it opens you up to certain literature you wouldn't have even heard of but for your passion for Tolkien.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Any of these you would recommend starting with? Or just grab one and go?

Edmond Dantès;44370308 said:
The Kalevala (major influence on The Silmarillion).
The Marvellous Land of Snergs (you'll understand why Tolkien wrote The Hobbit after reading this).

I wonder if Kalevala would be as terrible in english as it is in finnish for me :lol. I reeeally didn't like the poem style thingy it's written.

Ainaurdur

Edmond Dantès;44364284 said:
Beorn not in An Unexpected Journey
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/film/article15780260.ab

Seemed pretty obvious considering the new cut of the first film.

That means two very significant character introductions in The Desolation of Smaug as well as the people of Esgaroth and Thû the Necromancer.

Agreed that it was pretty certain that he would be shifted back to TDOS. Of course I have a very specific scene setup in my head now for how I think TDOS should start. Hope I am not wrong or disappointed.

Just so you guys know, Amazon has the LotR Extended Editions blu-ray in their gold box today. It's ~$44.

I'm not sure if I should pick it up or if it'll go cheaper on BF. I already have the extended editions on DVD, but this is a mighty fine deal for a 15 disc set.

I also own all of the DVD versions. I have not gotten the trilogy on Bluray yet though. For $44 I am probably going to get it, I think this is the cheapest it has been so far. And I'd say it is worth it. Plus if you never had the LEs, then the Costa Botes features would be new for you, adding value. ;)

Randdalf

Radagast's theme
and the
Warg theme (?, heard in Warg Scouts)
are my two favourite new themes in the soundtrack.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
We've seen most, if not all the major characters in the first part of the trilogy, even the eagles in artwork. Can only think of one who we haven't seen yet and that's The Necromancer who has been very closely guarded thus far.

Another not so important (Durin's Bane) and another who plays an important role later (Smaug) may be shown in the prologue. But just a tease for the latter.

Daft_Cat

Edmond Dantès;44364284 said:
That means two very significant character introductions in The Desolation of Smaug as well as the people of Esgaroth and Thû the Necromancer.

My Tolkien-jargon is not as good as yours, but are you saying the Necromancer isn't in the first film at all?

Because I'm 95 percent certain he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom