• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god, I have done the extended marathon 2 times and it is pretty exhausting come ROTK. It will be brutal but I have responsibility to do (or at least try) Hobbit extended+Lotr extended marathon come 2014/2015. I doubt I'll do that twice lol.

Grakl

I've been looking forward to a lot of releases this year, and so many have disappointed. I really hope that The Hobbit is amazing.

I've watched the EE trilogy straight through and I'd say it wasn't the best way to experience them, for me. By the end of the RoTK, I was just looking forward to the end. That's a long time to be sitting and passively watching a movie.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Oh god, I have done the extended marathon 2 times and it is pretty exhausting come ROTK. It will be brutal but I have responsibility to do (or at least try) Hobbit extended+Lotr extended marathon come 2014/2015. I doubt I'll do that twice lol.
That would be like 20 hours of Middle-earth to engross yourself in. By the end of it you'd think you were actually in Middle-earth.

WHERE IS THE RING?

Watevaman

Edmond Dantès;44422490 said:
That would be like 20 hours of Middle-earth to engross yourself in. By the end of it you'd think you were actually in Middle-earth.

WHERE IS THE RING?

I almost feel that way at the end of EE marathon.

Edmond Dantès;44422490 said:

WHERE IS THE RING?

I'll try it with friends but I do expect to give up on the fourth one. As Felix said it can become really tedious. Just marathoning the Hobbit ones should be fun tho for the first time.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'll try it with friends but I do expect to give up on the fourth one. As Felix said it can become really tedious. Just marathoning the Hobbit ones should be fun tho for the first time.
I look forward to doing that. Sitting through the extended Hobbit trilogy for the first time will be a day to remember.

Long ways to yet though, sometime in 2014 I should think.

Am I the only one who thinks it looks cheap?

Cheap no. Certainly looks different if the trailers are at all accurate though. LOTR always seemed slightly desaturated in terms of the picture, which lent to it feeling like a recording of ancient history rather than something shot in a studio, ala how the book feels like the Red Book, rather than something written in the past century. Hopefully I'll get that feeling from this trilogy.

bengraven

I listened to the soundtrack the last two days at work.

1) beautiful and worthy of a followup.
2) love the new themes as well as the subtle and not so subtle callbacks - I swear during one of the first tracks there's a few chords from Into the West playing.
3) the REAL dwarf song (not the one from the trailer, but the actual extended one from the film) is really really fucking great. Can't wait to see it in the film and I hope it's in it's entirity.

and

4) I wasn't too sure about the credits music at first. Yeah, Enya, Emiliana, and Annie made big sweeping epic songs which have become some of my favorite songs of all time, but The Hobbit is more laid back and comical - so I shouldn't have been surprised to hear what sounded like a Renn Faire rendition of Misty Mountains Cold sung by what appears to be Celtic musicians in a pub (it's not, in fact, but that was my first impression).

It grew on me after that first listen and I listened to it over a dozen times IN A ROW yesterday. When he lifts his voice to say "The Arkenstone", I gulp.

Edmond Dantès;44388065 said:
Very likely.

An ultimate edition Blu-ray with all six extended films and The Hobbit extras in HD. Maybe a few more unseen scenes from The Lord of the Rings trilogy as well.

Yea but really, how long until that happens? Another 4-5 years? Too long for another version of which a definitive cut has arguably already been released. Anyone in this thread is essentially rebuying all the movies from DVD EE's anyway. And could there REALLY be that much more to add to the film/special features of the original trilogy 10+ years later? (though the 45 minutes of new film footage in the BR EE's does say otherwise)

EDIT: I've been had. It seems I didn't read wikipedia the whole way through, and the BR extended editions extra running time comes from extra credits to fan club members? Grrrrrrrrrrrr, buyer's remorse. Oh well. At least the extra doc is nice.

I am holding off on the Hobbit home releases until this purported ultimate set though, as it'll definitely have stuff in it not in initial Hobbit releases. And if you don't already have the EE's of the original trilogy after all this time, I would say that yeah, you could probably wait it out a bit longer for a more complete/better value edition.

EDIT: I also am not a huge fan of the credits rendition of the Song. The cheesy synth claps and the guy's weird rhythmic accents throws off the classical fantasy vibe that Shore's put into the entirety of the rest of the soundtrack of the series. It's not a dealbreaker though.

And Gollum's Song is best credits song, suck it haters

Dear lord, the OT already clocks in at 10+ hours in the BR EE's, with possibly another 20-30 mins with another definitive edition. The Hobbit THEATRICALS are already looking to sit at 2.5 hours each, we could be looking at close to 22 hours for a double trilogy definitive edition marathon when all's said and done. This foe is greater than any of us...

bengraven

I'm still not a fan of it. The guys voice is totally unremarkable.

Yeah, that's why I said he sounds like he's a Renn Faire singer. It sounds like he's some 20 year old kid doing an impression of someone he heard on a Celtic Moods CD to play outside his turkey leg tent.

But it grew on me. A good jolly pub song (with dark undertones) is more Hobbit than the alternative.

Yeah that song has grown on me exponentially.

I'm still disappointed we didn't get another gorgeous epic ballad like the Original Trilogy, but the Hobbit Prequel Trilogy is starting off well. ;)

It reminds me of the intro to Suikoden III, a song I feel is quite overrated. But this grows on me.

I wasn't a fan of May It Be either, and can't remeber the second song for the life of me. Into The West is a huge, huge favourite though.

xenist

Getting the three extended editions, stocking up on snacks and booze, turning off phones and such and doing a LOTR marathon is always one my favorite parts of the year.

bengraven

Two things:

1) In The Hobbit, Gandalf kind of smirks when he realizes Bilbo has a/the ring.

I wonder if it will be tonally different. I wonder if he'll actually tell the council that Bilbo has a ring of power and there's a chance it's the One. I can see him pulling Bilbo to the side and asking how he feels, etc.

2) Conversation:

Me: All I want for Christmas is for a few hours to myself to go see The Hobbit. I saw all the LOTR movies in theaters and I don't want to watch the Hobbit films on DVD 6 months later. I haven't been to a film since summer 2009 and I'm not missing this one.

Sister in law: that sounds like a lot of fun! We'll have to make a double date night.

Me: No no, really, it's okay. I'll just go by myself, won't even need to get a sitter.

SIL: it's no trouble at all! I think it'd be fun! SO FUN, yeah!

Me (frowning): no, I'd rather kind of go myself. I usually only go with my friends back home, but since it's 2000 miles away I'll just go myself. You know, it's supposed to "my" Christmas present...? So it's like...no need to share my only present from anyone.

SIL: You don't...want us to come along.

Me (knowing they won't "get it"): I just think it would be easier.

SIL (fake whiny): movies suck when you go alone!

Me: not for me. I'd...I'd honestly just rather be alone.

SIL (gets serious): that's because you don't like your inlaws, isn't it? You've been really antisocial lately.

Me: ...I don't like seeing movies with people who will talk, I need to---

SIL: OMG, talking about what you're watching is why movies in theaters are SOOO FUN.

Me (about to lose my fucking mind, but not wanting to say "BECAUSE IF YOU INTERUPT ME I WILL KILL YOU I WILL MOTHER FUCKING KILL YOU AND ANYONE ELSE YOU DRAG ALONG AND ALSO I'LL BE CRYING THE ENTIRE TIME BECAUSE I'M AN EMOTIONAL NERD AND THESE MOVIES PROBABLY MEAN MORE TO ME THAN YOU, WHICH IS REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE TO MENTION AND DO YOU REALLY WANT THAT KIND OF TRUTH COMING OUT IN A MOVIE THEATER FOR GOD'S SAKE"): Never mind, it was just an idea. I'll just wait to see it on DVD.

It reminds me of the intro to Suikoden III, a song I feel is quite overrated. But this grows on me.

I wasn't a fan of May It Be either, and can't remeber the second song for the life of me. Into The West is a huge, huge favourite though.

Like Kyle said.

It wasn't as prominently featured in commercials or on radio/TV as the first and third songs, but it's definitely the best.

It's also gloomy and atmospheric while the first and second are more powerful ballads, so the usual crowd of music lovers may have been turned off.

But Gollum's Song is the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkXbzffVl44

1) In The Hobbit, Gandalf kind of smirks when he realizes Bilbo has a/the ring.

I wonder if it will be tonally different. I wonder if he'll actually tell the council that Bilbo has a ring of power and there's a chance it's the One. I can see him pulling Bilbo to the side and asking how he feels, etc.

I think that would break continuity with the Fellowship of the Ring. I don't think Gandalf would have let Bilbo run around with the ring for 60 years if he suspected it may be the One Ring. I believe he only becomes truly suspicious when Bilbo is so reluctant to give it up and only knows for sure after reading the inscription after tossing it in the fire.

I'll be a little disappointed if they go that route.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I think that would break continuity with the Fellowship of the Ring. I don't think Gandalf would have let Bilbo run around with the ring for 60 years if he suspected it may be the One Ring. I believe he only becomes truly suspicious when Bilbo is so reluctant to give it up and only knows for sure after reading the inscription after tossing it in the fire.

I'll be a little disappointed if they go that route.
Too much of a fundamental change which would make Gandalf look either rather foolish or very wise depending on how you look at it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
New Thorin pic

from-kili.png

Edmond Dantès;44454556 said:
Just for fun; post your favorite emotive scenes from The Lord of the Rings.

I will take it!

Gandalf's reaction always puts a lump in my throat.

Be at peace, Son of Gondor

Boromir...

Come on Mr Frodo, I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!

Tears.
I'll add some:
TTT:
Sams speech. You can see how Gollum just hates himself :(.

RotK:
Actually never see this listed, Mouth of Sauron scene where Gandalf starts crying and loses all authority. Well of course Gimli joking a minute after hearing that Frodo is supposedly dead is lil janky.

Bow to no one My absolute favourite.

Boromir is also my favourite when it comes to sad scenes.

So much feels.

Add Gandalf's fall to the two lists above too.

And the end of ROTK with the sad monologue, "How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back?"

Jimothy

So much feels.

Add Gandalf's fall to the two lists above too.

And the end of ROTK with the sad monologue, "How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back?"

It's weird how LOTR is one of the few Hollywood movies to understand PTSD.

Edmond Dantès;44454556 said:

RotK:

Bow to no one My absolute favourite.

Boromir is also my favourite when it comes to sad scenes.

The Boromir scene is the saddest for me. So tragic and heartbreaking. But also amazing because for me that is the moment when Aragorn truly embraces his destiny. "I swear to you, I will not let the white city fall. Nor our people fail."
And made even better in the EE with his extra line: "They will look for his coming from the White Towers. But he shall not return."

Aragorn. Boss of bosses. I still hold to the reason that Legolas and Gimli didn't include him in their body count game because they knew Aragorn would make them both look bad.

And that scene from ROTK. "You bow to no one." Shit, just typing that makes me want to cry tears of joy. It is always a struggle on every watch to keep it together once I hit that scene.

Aragorn may be boss of bosses, but he bows to Frodo and friends, because he knows what's up.

I wonder what scene(s) will have most feels in the first Hobbit movie.
T+F+K death will of course be the big one of the series. I hope they nail it. They did it with Boromir and he only had half of FotR to establish a link with the audience

Grakl

T+F+K death will of course be the big one of the series. I hope they nail it. They did it with Boromir and he only had half of FotR to establish a link with the audience

The book doesn't even give Fili and Kili death scenes, does it? I only remember Thorin's death scene being written. Fili and Kili were just defending him or something, right?

The book doesn't even give Fili and Kili death scenes, does it? I only remember Thorin's death scene being written. Fili and Kili were just defending him or something, right?

You can bet they change that in the movie tho.
Kili seems to be in the top 3 most important Dwarves along with Balin and Thorin due to being the new Legolas.

kingocfs

I'm looking forward to
Gollum finding out Bilbo took the ring.

The Boromir scene is the saddest for me. So tragic and heartbreaking. But also amazing because for me that is the moment when Aragorn truly embraces his destiny. "I swear to you, I will not let the white city fall. Nor our people fail."
And made even better in the EE with his extra line: "They will look for his coming from the White Towers. But he shall not return."

Aragorn. Boss of bosses. I still hold to the reason that Legolas and Gimli didn't include him in their body count game because they knew Aragorn would make them both look bad.

And that scene from ROTK. "You bow to no one." Shit, just typing that makes me want to cry tears of joy. It is always a struggle on every watch to keep it together once I hit that scene.

Aragorn may be boss of bosses, but he bows to Frodo and friends, because he knows what's up.

The "you bow to no one" line is great, but I actually get more teary eyed at that scene in Mulan.

When Sam tells Frodo he can't carry the ring but he can carry him, that was just man-tears all over the place though.

The "you bow to no one" line is great, but I actually get more teary eyed at that scene in Mulan.

Shit, I get misty eyed at that scene in the trailer. Mulan is a strange beast to me. There are parts of the film that are in the god tier of Disney movies, but so much of it that shows everything wrong with Disney in the late 90s.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The death of Thrain after his confrontation/fight with Gandalf will most probably be the one

So if I'm understanding things correctly, this movie will cover all events up to an including the
rescue from the wargs by the eagles?
I need to reread the appendices though to see what stuff they can put in in that timeframe besides the necromancer/white council meetings.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
So if I'm understanding things correctly, this movie will cover all events up to an including the
rescue from the wargs by the eagles?
I need to reread the appendices though to see what stuff they can put in in that timeframe besides the necromancer/white council meetings.
Yes.

Other stuff they can add or have added;
The prologue, Old Bilbo and Frodo sequence, flashback's to the past, Radagast's stuff and changing the narrative to have the Orc Hunters hunting them before and after they reach Rivendell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom