• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Watched FOTR on release day.

Went back a week later after making sure my always-skeptical gf knew "it really really didn't suck, I swear!"

I tell her there's an incredibly emotional scene and she mocks me.

Gandalf dies.

I'm tearing up and suddenly feel a tap on my shoulder and she's handing me a tissue. I rip it from her hands with frown on my face. Fuck you for mocking me. But then I see she's basically shoving the tissues up her nose, her eyes are red and so puffy that she's squinting.

I immediately apologize mentally for being angry at her.

Epilogue: she goes home and tells the guy she's been chatting up on Yahoo about how great the film is.

They go see it together two weeks later and start a sexual relationship.

She kicks me out the week later.

That's right, TWO endings, one depressing and one not really! I'm Peter Jackson!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Watched FOTR on release day.

Went back a week later after making sure my always-skeptical gf knew "it really really didn't suck, I swear!"

I tell her there's an incredibly emotional scene and she mocks me.

Gandalf dies.

I'm tearing up and suddenly feel a tap on my shoulder and she's handing me a tissue. I rip it from her hands with frown on my face. Fuck you for mocking me. But then I see she's basically shoving the tissues up her nose, her eyes are red and so puffy that she's squinting.

I immediately apologize mentally for being angry at her.

Epilogue: she goes home and tells the guy she's been chatting up on Yahoo about how great the film is.

They go see it together two weeks later and start a sexual relationship.

She kicks me out the week later.

That's right, TWO endings, one depressing and one not really! I'm Peter Jackson!
You reached the far green country in the end though.

dAH79.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Sir Ian Mckellen Broke Down On The Hobbit Set
Sir Ian Mckellen broke down in tears on the set of The Hobbit after becoming so frustrated filming green screen scenes with only visual aids to act opposite.

The thespian, who reprises his role as wizard Gandalf in the new Peter Jackson movie, found it difficult to shoot scenes on his own with just photographs for reference - and he reveals he threw a tantrum.

He tells ContactMusic, "In order to shoot the dwarves and a large Gandalf, we couldn't be in the same set. All I had for company was 13 photographs of the dwarves on top of stands with little lights - whoever's talking flashes up.

"Pretending you're with 13 other people when you're on your own, it stretches your technical ability to the absolute limits.

"I cried, actually. I cried. Then I said out loud, 'This is not why I became an actor'. Unfortunately the microphone was on and the whole studio heard."
Source

I hate to hear Sir Ian Mckellen may not have enjoyed himself while filming the Hobbit. He's a pro, so I'm sure his performance won't suffer but when you watch the behind the scenes stuff for the LotR trilogy, everyone seemed to love each other and they all knew they were making something special.

Ainaurdur

I hate to hear Sir Ian Mckellen may not have enjoyed himself while filming the Hobbit. He's a pro, so I'm sure his performance won't suffer but when you watch the behind the scenes stuff for the LotR trilogy, everyone seemed to love each other and they all knew they were making something special.

This was the second article on the subject, the first one made no mention of him crying though, just that he was frustrated with the system and did not enjoy that part of the experience.

I wouldn't enjoy that very much if I was acting out a scene with up to 14 other people and none of them could actually be standing there with me.

Loxley

Invokes disturbing Star Wars prequel parallels

This same composting technique was used multiple times in the LotR trilogy, particularly the scenes in Bag End, nothing to fear :) Jackson isn't pulling a Lucas here.

Granted they've had to use the digital scaling techniques more often for The Hobbit to accommodate for the film being shot on 3D.

DodgerSan

This same composting technique was used multiple times in the LotR trilogy, particularly the scenes in Bag End, nothing to fear :) Jackson isn't pulling a Lucas here.

Granted they've had to use the digital scaling techniques more often for The Hobbit to accommodate for the film being shot on 3D.

Very Freudian typo there, makes it sound like the process creates manure ;)

Alx

Edmond Dantès;44493477 said:
Sir Ian Mckellen Broke Down On The Hobbit Set

Source

Sounds very similar to what Sean Connery felt when filming the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen... IIRC that's the reason why he stopped his acting career, he felt "new" acting (aka green screen) was too different from what he used/liked to do.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
sometimes you have to make compromises. if you want to act in the more traditional sense the stage is always there for you McKellen

I'm really glad he decided to do the Hobbit for fans. I have done bit of acting myself and I can't even imagine how frustrating all the greenscreen and talking to photos can be.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Walking to tesco today and the Breaking of the fellowship came up on my ipod, unspeakably awesome and epic, truly nostalgia at its best, it filled me both with great hope for the Hobbit but also great fear aswell, how on earth can you recapture that magic? The performances, the sound, the environment, every emotional beat. I said this a while back but my greatest fear for the Hobbit was how astounding the lord of the rings films were, the first time in my life when i saw a timeless piece of cinema as it was released.

Anyone else share a similar fear?

Loxley

Walking to tesco today and the Breaking of the fellowship came up on my ipod, unspeakably awesome and epic, truly nostalgia at its best, it filled me both with great hope for the Hobbit but also great fear aswell, how on earth can you recapture that magic? The performances, the sound, the environment, every emotional beat. I said this a while back but my greatest fear for the Hobbit was how astounding the lord of the rings films were, the first time in my life when i saw a timeless piece of cinema as it was released.

Anyone else share a similar fear?

Oh sure. The LotR trilogy means a lot to many of the frequent posters around here, and I'm sure there are at least a few if us that are wondering how The Hobbit trilogy will stand up when all is said and done. At this point know a few things for sure, the films will be gorgeous and Howard Shore is (unsurprisingly) bringing his A-game.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Oh sure. The LotR trilogy means a lot to many of the frequent posters around here, and I'm sure there are at least a few if us that are wondering how The Hobbit trilogy will stand up when all is said and done. At this point know a few things for sure, the films will be gorgeous and Howard Shore is (unsurprisingly) bringing his A-game.

Im not worried about the environments, slightly worried about the music (I know it will be good but i consider the lotr soundtracks unsurpassable). My biggest issue is from every tv spot and trailer ive seen nothing has made me think "wow", im literally seeing this on the basis of it being the lotr prequels, if i had seen the footage ive seen without any other context i wouldnt give this film the time of day. That may sound harsh but im really not seeing anything special at the moment, it looks rather bland.

Edmond Dantès;44517776 said:
That leaves The Battle of the Five Armies and not much else for There and Back Again, unless they have the confrontation at Dol Guldur running concurrently with the aforementioned battle.

Yeah, I think the overarching Necromancer story will have an eventful conclusion along side the Battle of Five Armies at the climax of the final film. I kind of hope that they happen separately, though, and don't mash up as part of the same battle.

BHK3

Banned
Edmond Dantès;44516751 said:

Smaug dies as he does in the book, no Battle of the Fives Armies silliness, but which film does he die in?
what do you mean by silliness? I havent read the book in years.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Yeah, I think the overarching Necromancer story will have an eventful conclusion along side the Battle of Five Armies at the climax of the final film. I kind of hope that they happen separately, though, and don't mash up as part of the same battle.
The rumours of The Necromancer being present in some form during The Battle of the Five Armies are a bit strange, but I hope they're just; rumours.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
what do you mean by silliness? I havent read the book in years.
There were rumours that Smaug wouldn't die at Lake-town, but actually take part in the battle, which would be too much of a drastic change. The reason for the battle was his death and the lust for his treasure been invoked in the Elves, Dwarves and Men and the motive of revenge for the Goblins and Wargs.

BHK3

Banned
Edmond Dantès;44518149 said:
There were rumours that Smaug wouldn't die at Lake-town, but actually take part in the battle, which would be too much of a drastic change. The reason for the battle was his death and the lust for his treasure been invoked in the Elves, Dwarves and Men and the motive of revenge for the Goblins and Wargs.

oh dear I would not have liked that at all, my favorite part of the book was his death, something about an arrow flying at him with such force trees bent then he fell dead from the sky, Im sure my memory is warping some of that but that would have been my favorite book to movie scene(if they don't change anything)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
oh dear I would not have liked that at all, my favorite part of the book was his death, something about an arrow flying at him with such force trees bent then he fell dead from the sky, Im sure my memory is warping some of that but that would have been my favorite book to movie scene(if they don't change anything)
I'm sure Bard will still be the slayer of Smaug. That scene is too iconic to change

Man such a shame Del Toro dropped out. I mean Jackson's version may turn out great, maybe even better than Del Toro's would've been, who knows. But I've already seen his interpretation of Middle Earth, and can't help but wonder about what could have been.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Man such a shame Del Toro dropped out. I mean Jackson's version may turn out great, maybe even better than Del Toro's would've been, who knows. But I've already seen his interpretation of Middle Earth, and can't help but wonder about what could have been.
Take Pan's Labyrinth with a smidgen of Hellboy thrown in and apply a thick glaze of Tolkien mythology and you have quite a tasty prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom