• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
With Azog's inclusion we'll probably see a prologue similar to the one featured in The Fellowship, this time focusing on the War of the Dwarves and Orcs and the final confrontation known as Battle of Nanduhirion.

This is what happened.
The climactic battle in the War of the Dwarves and Orcs, also called the Battle of Azanulbizar and the Battle of the Mines of Moria, that took place below of the East-gate of Moria in the winter of III 2799.

Nine years before the battle, the Dwarf-king Thrór had been murdered by Azog the goblin in Moria. That event triggered a furious backlash from the Dwarves, who assembled their armies and, in their quest for revenge against Azog, began the systematic destruction of the Orcs of the Misty Mountains. Eventually, the armies of the Dwarves came up against the last stronghold of the Orcs, and hiding place of Azog, old Moria itself.

The battle was fought in the valley of Nanduhirion beneath Moria's gates. The Orcs were more numerous, and held the higher ground at the head of the valley. The Dwarves under Thráin II, though, were better equipped, and were rallied late in the battle by the arrival of reinforcements, commanded by Thráin's cousin Náin. There was great loss on both sides, but eventually the Dwarves had the victory; Dáin Ironfoot - just thirty-two years old at the time - slew Azog on the steps of Moria.

Walshicus

kharma45 said:
ffs, I must be one of the few to actually dislike Steven Fry. Just comes across to me as a bit of a cunt.
There are times when I shift between dislike and indifference of Fry. He was okay in Blackadder though.

Monocle

kharma45 said:
ffs, I must be one of the few to actually dislike Steven Fry. Just comes across to me as a bit of a cunt.
I find it weird to see an avuncular figure like Steven Fry inspire such a sour reaction. He's always struck me as a sincere person as well as a supreme gentleman. I'm surprised and pleased to find out he has a role in The Hobbit.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Now for the love of god get Brian Blessed in there somehow

I was preying he would be a dwarf :[

ngower

I read about half of the book on a train ride home and I'm now ten times more excited for this movie than I had been before. I never thought there was action in the Hobbit..I guess I was wrong.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Another Sherlock actor could star in The Hobbit.

ZOqQz.jpg

Sherlock co-stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman look set to be reunited in Middle Earth in the Hobbit film.

Office star Martin, who is set to play the lead, Bilbo Baggins, in the prequel to Lord Of The Rings, let it slip backstage at the Bafta Awards after the cast and crew of the BBC One show picked up the gong for Best Drama Series.

Asked how filming is going, he said: "Peter Jackson is the biggest kid in the world and he is very, very focused on what he is doing and there is no resting on previous laurels as well and Benedict is going to be in it as well."

Asked what character he was playing, a red-faced Benedict said: "I can't say at the moment."
http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/s...bit-roles/article-3582693-detail/article.html

ngower said:
I read about half of the book on a train ride home and I'm now ten times more excited for this movie than I had been before. I never thought there was action in the Hobbit..I guess I was wrong.

So so wrong.

I know it was extremely unlikely, but I was hoping for a different casting choice for gollum this time around. To me, gollum is the gollum from the animated movie.

bengraven

Stephen Fry makes me feel happy. I don't know what it is about the man, but he makes a straight man feel happy.

Edmond Dantès said:

So awesome. I'm watching the last ep of Sherlock right now and other than his bizarre neck/chin, the man is a perfect modern day Holmes. I would love to see who they have him play.

raphier said:
jesus christ! whoever made that site should be hanged on internet.

Having been reading his site since 1998/1999 when he signed on to both LOTR and X-men, I can tell you it HAS NEVER CHANGED. Seriously, it is the exact same site. Though at one point there was a huge, low rez pic of Magneto.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/05/23/44621-fire-on-set-of-the-hobbit/
Breaking news from tvnz.co.nz There has been an industrial accident on the set of Sir Peter Jackson’s film The Hobbit. The fire service says two people received burns in the incident at the Stone Street studios in the Wellington suburb of Miramar. It is understood their injuries are minor. There is no word on the exact cause of the accident. More to follow.

UPDATE: From The Dominion Post Two people have been hurt in a small explosion at the studios where the Hobbit is being filmed. The Fire Service confirmed they were called to an “industrial explosion” at the Stone St studios in Miramar. Wellington Free Ambulance said two people were treated at the scene and were taken to hospital. A small fire followed the explosion but it was out when firefighters arrived.

A spokesman for Wingnut Films said the explosion was in a workshop, not on set, and filming was continuing. An investigation had been launched. The two people were taken to hospital as a precaution, the spokesman said.

I just watched the documentary that was posted almost a month ago (where in the hell have I been?). It was amazing. I would sell my degrees for a chance to be a part of this movie.

So according to Peter Jackson's facebook page:

'Ten years ago, Orlando Bloom created an iconic character with his portrayal of Legolas. I'm excited to announce today that we'll be revisiting Middle Earth with him once more. I’m thrilled to be working with Orlando again. Funny thing is, I look older—and he doesn’t! I guess that's why he makes such a wonderful elf.'

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Lonesome_Raod said:
So according to Peter Jackson's facebook page:

'Ten years ago, Orlando Bloom created an iconic character with his portrayal of Legolas. I'm excited to announce today that we'll be revisiting Middle Earth with him once more. I’m thrilled to be working with Orlando again. Funny thing is, I look older—and he doesn’t! I guess that's why he makes such a wonderful elf.'
To be expected, even though he isn't in the book. It makes sense to have him show up in Mirkwood, as he is the king's son.

Edmond Dantès said:
To be expected, even though he isn't in the book. It makes sense to have him show up in Mirkwood, as he is the king's son.
Legolas barrel acrobatics and Smaug tail slide action confirmed.

methodman

Banned
Every time I see any of the three lord of the rings movies on HBO, starz or showtime in HD, I stop whatever I'm doing and watch em. Fuckin love it

Loxley

Those rumored titles from a few months back are now officially official, along with the exact release dates for the two movies:

“THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY” AND “THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN” ARE ANNOUNCED AS TITLES OF PETER JACKSON’S EPIC TWO-FILM ADAPTATION OF J.R.R. TOLKIEN’S TIMELESS CLASSIC THE HOBBIT

First film slated to open on December 14, 2012 and second film to be released on December 13, 2013

New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures and MGM have announced the titles and release dates for filmmaker Peter Jackson’s two-film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit. The first film, titled “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” will be released on December 14, 2012. The second film, titled “The Hobbit: There and Back Again,” is slated for release the following year, on December 13, 2013.

Both films are set in Middle-earth 60 years before Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings,” which Jackson and his filmmaking team brought to the big screen in the blockbuster trilogy that culminated with the Oscar®-winning “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.” The adventure of “The Hobbit” follows the journey of title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome dragon Smaug.

Under Jackson’s direction, both movies are being shot consecutively in digital 3D using the latest camera and stereo technology. Filming is taking place at Stone Street Studios, Wellington, and on location around New Zealand.

December 14th, my birthday, fuckawesome.

I honestly feel like placing money on Ian Holm starting the movie off, reading the book to Frodo.

Christopher Lee is confirmed to be in it then? Do you reckon they will film his scenes first? This will potentially be his last ever movie. I mean he wasn't looking well at the BAFTAs :(

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Dabookerman said:
I honestly feel like placing money on Ian Holm starting the movie off, reading the book to Frodo.

Christopher Lee is confirmed to be in it then? Do you reckon they will film his scenes first? This will potentially be his last ever movie. I mean he wasn't looking well at the BAFTAs :(
His scenes may be filmed in London, because I don't think he can make the trip to New Zealand.

He may not even be present when the White Council attack Dol Guldur. It'll probably be Elrond, Gandalf, Radagast, Galadriel, Celeborn, and a bunch of unnamed Elves.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Luke Evans cast as Bard the Bowman.

bHsVW.jpg

Luke Evans has bagged the role of Bard in The Hobbit, a last major part that Peter Jackson hadn't cast in a production that's underway in New Zealand. Bard the Grim is a skilled archer, and the heir of King Girion of Dale. The king was killed by the talking dragon Smaug. The character plays a greater role in the second film, and is somewhat reminiscent of the action-hero exploits of Viggo Mortensen's Aragorn, I'm told.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/luke-evans-to-play-bard-in-the-hobbit/

Just one more major announcement left; the voice of Smaug.

Aaron

War Machine said:
I'm sorry if this has been answered, but since this is two movies, at what point in the story will the first one end?
I don't think anyone knows yet, but if I had to guess the first movie will end with their escape from the goblins. That's about halfway in, and would end with a satisfyingly dramatic moment. I'm guessing where they expand the story will be in the later parts of the book with the massive battle of five armies and business with the necromancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom