• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fix The Scientist said:
If Evangeline Lily has more than 5 mins of screen time i will flip my shit.
I'm not up to date with this lingo. Is shit flipping the expected response to a good circumstance or to a bad one?

mjc

I wouldn't have an issue replacing Holm with Martin for that particular scene. Jackson doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would go back and ritually destroy his own works.

agrajag

Banned
I said that Ian Holm as young Bilbo is going a problem if they ever do a Hobbit movie as soon as I saw that scene. Really hard to believe PJ was so short-sighted.

Loxley

Expendable. said:
MARTIN-FREEMAN-Hobbit_610.jpg

Hobbit-Ian-Mckellan_610.jpg

I FEEL LIKE SOMETHING IS READY.

IT IS LIKELY MY BODY.

I hope there is a monumental fuck ton of extras and cut scenes for an extended edition. TLOTR extended editions are my favourite collection of films ever. However, things will likely be planned out better this time, and as things are being stretched out over two films (with some additions), I fear we won't get much additional material.

I hope they do the big interviews with the animators, producers, writers, bigatures, editors, publishers etc. All over my face.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
No need to replace Ian Holm in FotR's flashback.

I'm not sure where this mindset comes from. EVERYONE knows now, and everyone will know in the future, that the LotR films were conceived, filmed, and released before The Hobbit films. It's like people envision some far-future where these films are discovered in an archive and people say "WTF YOUNG BILBO DOESN'T LOOK LIKE YOUNG BILBO WHY."

It's completely fine.

agrajag

Banned
GDJustin said:
No need to replace Ian Holm in FotR's flashback.

I'm not sure where this mindset comes from. EVERYONE knows now, and everyone will know in the future, that the LotR films were conceived, filmed, and released before The Hobbit films. It's like people envision some far-future where these films are discovered in an archive and people say "WTF YOUNG BILBO DOESN'T LOOK LIKE YOUNG BILBO WHY."

It's completely fine.

This makes sense. I mean, they used to do stuff like that in sit coms and soaps all the time, when an actor leaves and is replaced with another actor. No need to go and retcon all the previous episodes.

Anyway, Martin Freeman looks glorious as Bilbo. I'm still in shock and awe that they cast the very guy I desperately wanted for this role!

agrajag

Banned
I haven't seen a single episode of Lost, so I have no idea why people hate her so much. Is she supposed to be a bad actress? She certainly looks the part of a lesser elf, so no complaints from me!

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Good lord I can't even describe how excited those shots make me. Probably going to have a heart attack when they release the first teaser!

MrCheez said:
Good lord I can't even describe how excited those shots make me. Probably going to have a heart attack when they release the first teaser!

I remember crowding around the computer with my mom and sister back in 2001 when the first official trailer for FOTR came out. It took forever to download (tiny little Quick Time video with bad sound) on our dialup connection. We watched it a dozen times. Pure magic.

My mind is going to be reeling when I relive that moment with the Hobbit trailers.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Howard Shore's scores for the two films will go down as two of the greatest, most accomplished film scores ever.

I'm calling it right now.

GCX

Edmond Dantès said:
Howard Shore's scores for the two films will go down as two of the greatest, most accomplished film scores ever.

I'm calling it right now.
I like how ROTK Extended Edition ended with Bilbo's Song.

It was like Shore's way of saying "DEAR PETER JACKSON MAKE THE HOBBIT NOW!"

Is it just me or are Freeman's ears twice as big as the Hobbit ears from LOTR. And his feet are massive in shot 3.

Hobbit = LOTR supersized.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Genesis Knight said:
Is it just me or are Freeman's ears twice as big as the Hobbit ears from LOTR. And his feet are massive in shot 3.

I think they're going for a more magical, less gritty theme for the Hobbit films to reflect the tone of the book.

It'll certainly have more humour and maybe some talking animals.

Edmond Dantès said:
I think they're going for a more magical, less gritty theme for the Hobbit films to reflect the tone of the book.

I'll be flayed for this but I'm hoping they instead choose to bring the Hobbit more in line with the trilogy by making it more gritty and serious.

Hokuten said:
I wonder what PJ's cameo will be in each movie.

Are all the trolls cast already? ;)
He's a dwarf if I've ever seen one. I expect to see him doing some cleaving or bashing in the battle of the five armies.

LegendofJoe said:
nice, I've always liked that scene
Warms the heart doesnt it? Also reminds me of this:

Gandalf said:
My dear Frodo. Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you.

andycapps

Genesis Knight said:
I'll be flayed for this but I'm hoping they instead choose to bring the Hobbit more in line with the trilogy by making it more gritty and serious.

I'd actually agree with that. The Hobbit was always the least favorite of the Lord of the Rings books for that reason. Still a great read and I can't wait to see the movie.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
NullPointer said:
He's a dwarf if I've ever seen one. I expect to see him doing some cleaving or bashing in the battle of the five armies.

Warms the heart doesnt it? Also reminds me of this:
Personally, I love the following line; Bilbo my old friend, this will be a night to remember.

Well, these films will certainly be worth remembering when all is said and done.

Loxley

Genesis Knight said:

Bare in mind that it's likely that much of the production design was done when Del Toro was still on board, it's possible that some of his stylistic influences still managed to creep through to the final product.

When does it come out again?

December 14th, 2012.

My birthday, bitches. Booyah.

GCX

Loxley said:
Bare in mind that it's likely that much of the production design was done when Del Toro was still on board, it's likely some of his stylistic influences still managed to creep through to the final product.
Eh, I doubt Del Toro did much design stuff when he was on board.

John Howe and Alan Lee's concept art and designs brought Middle-Earth to life in LOTR and they're doing it again with The Hobbit.

I'm just glad Del Toro is gone - he's a skilled director with interesting vision, but still. I want the Hobbit to feel as close to the LOTR films as possible, and Jackson back in the director's chair was step one.

Genesis Knight said:
I'm just glad Del Toro is gone - he's a skilled director with interesting vision, but still. I want the Hobbit to feel as close to the LOTR films as possible, and Jackson back in the director's chair was step one.
I honestly don't know how that could work. LOTR and the Hobbit are so very different in character and tone. But I guess its possible.

NullPointer said:
I honestly don't know how that could work. LOTR and the Hobbit are so very different in character and tone. But I guess its possible.

Well as I said I'm hoping that they take some license and bring it more in line with LOTR.

Edmond Dantès said:

Wasn't expecting this, but it makes sense. Also helps the film to distinguish itself from the trilogy. So good.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Genesis Knight said:

There is some trickery they have to do with cinematography and in post to make the hobbits look the right size, I would guess these are the sizes they need them to be while shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom