• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Aaron said:
I don't think anyone knows yet, but if I had to guess the first movie will end with their escape from the goblins. That's about halfway in, and would end with a satisfyingly dramatic moment. I'm guessing where they expand the story will be in the later parts of the book with the massive battle of five armies and business with the necromancer.
That would be far too early in my opinion, personally I predict that ‘An Unexpected Journey‘ will end just after Bilbo and the dwarves‘ confrontation with the spiders and their capture by the elves.

Edmond Dantès said:
He‘s already been cast; Mikael Persbrandt will be playing him.

smile-spongebob.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
WyndhamPrice said:
Benedict Cumberbatch is also doing the voice of The Necromancer (who is actually
Sauron
Which means Sauron could have a more physical presence in The Hobbit films, compared to the LOTR trilogy. They might even go the 'Annatar' route which Peter Jackson seems so fond of.

There's something wrong with me... I just can't think of these films without my brain reminding me of the Star Wars prequels. These films are based on the book of a legendary author and are being portrayed by incredible talents, but my brain keeps coming up with the Star Wars prequels. I just expect that these films stand out on their own and don't depend too much on the groundbreaking LOTR trilogy.

King of the Potato People said:
There's something wrong with me... I just can't think of these films without my brain reminding me of the Star Wars prequels. These films are based on the book of a legendary author and are being portrayed by incredible talents, but my brain keeps coming up with the Star Wars prequels. I just expect that these films stand out on their own and don't depend too much on the groundbreaking LOTR trilogy.

Just remember... This isn't being made by modern day Lucas. The movies will be fine.

King of the Potato People said:
The main difference being the story for this 'prequel' was established long before hand, not 3 months out. Not even the same chance of it not making any fucking sense, don't worry : )

Edmond Dantès said:
Probably Itaril; Legolas' supposed love interest.

Nope,

Evangeline Lilly will be playing a new character—the Woodland Elf, Tauriel. Her name means 'daughter of Mirkwood' and, beyond that, we must leave you guessing! (No, there is no romantic connection to Legolas.) What is not a secret is how talented and compelling an actress Evangeline is; we are thrilled and excited she will be the one to bring our first true Sylvan Elf to life.

Itaril was never really confirmed to exist outside of speculation, was she? Perhaps after Saorise Ronan fell through they reworked the character.

He looks pretty normal outside of the character though, and he's going to be covered in some amazing makeup work so it's all good. I'm pretty interested to see what he'll do with the goblin king

edit: that's still such a shame that Saiorse Ronan couldn't make it, as an actress she would be more compelling than Kate from Lost, but I'm fine with the casting decision.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
WyndhamPrice said:
Nope,

Itaril was never really confirmed to exist outside of speculation, was she? Perhaps after Saorise Ronan fell through they reworked the character.
Supposed to have been on a leaked casting call, if I remember correctly.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
My guess is film 1 ends just as they are approaching The Lonely Mountain / Laketown. It depends on if they want to end on a dark note or not. If they do, it will end with them imprisoned by the elves.

It's quite a bit later than halfway through the actual book, but it still works out nicely, imo. As a linear adventure movie, The Hobbit part 1 can blow through action beats and set pieces pretty quickly. 20-30 min in hobbiton, 20 min. trolls, 30 min. under the mountain, etc. You'd have a 2.5 hour film and still be through Mirkwood.

Then movie 2 can be more like LOTRO in structure, and break up the narrative a bit.

So good to see Gandalf the Grey back. In a bunch of films with fantastic casting all round, McKellen played that role PERFECTLY. Gandalf the White just isn't as interesting or as fun a character in general (he still did a good job with it).

raphier said:
I don't think these are movie stills or are they? Style of cloths do bring me back to middle-earth

The last one definitely isn't of course. They do look more like production photos, but definitely the most official ones yet....and first look at Bilbo.

spookyfish

AlexMogil said:
Are they going to insert the Freeman footage of discovering the ring into the original trilogy, I wonder?

Heh -- I've wondered this myself. In fact, I was wondering if this is why FOTREE was being given the remastered treatment on Blu-ray, because Gollum and Bilbo was the first thing shot, IIRC.

richiek said:
PJ is gonna have to replace the young Bilbo scene in Fellowship of the Ring with Martin Freeman, because Ian Holm looks way too old.

http://img67.photobucket.com/albums/v204/jewbie/Bilbo_and_ring.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
No he doesn't. He should just let it stand. It wasn't until the shitty rerelease of the Star Wars movies that stuff like that ever became an issue and look how that turned out.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Neuromancer said:
No he doesn't. He should just let it stand. It wasn't until the shitty rerelease of the Star Wars movies that stuff like that ever became an issue and look how that turned out.

So, you're fine with the alterations in the Extended Editions, then? If you are, I don't see how you would have a problem with putting Freeman in FOTR.

bengraven

WyndhamPrice said:
Benedict Cumberbatch is also doing the voice of The Necromancer (who is actually
Sauron

:D

This is so awesome. Man has an abnormally deep voice for such a skinny chap.

richiek said:
So, you're fine with the alterations in the Extended Editions, then? If you are, I don't see how you would have a problem with putting Freeman in FOTR.

EE were mostly putting in content that was filmed at about the same time. This is taking stuff out of the original movie and replacing it with new footage from a decade later, which is different.

That said, this isn't like Star Wars because there they were screwing with a 30 year old classic by inserting the face of a new person that everyone hated (and it didn't even make sense in the universe). I would support Freeman getting inserted into FOTR...

...that said, is it still assumed there's going to be a BR version of the EEs that have PJ's direct hand involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom