• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
This same composting technique was used multiple times in the LotR trilogy, particularly the scenes in Bag End, nothing to fear :) Jackson isn't pulling a Lucas here.

Granted they've had to use the digital scaling techniques more often for The Hobbit to accommodate for the film being shot on 3D.

Oh I know haha it was just the first and most obvious thing that popped up in my head when I read the article. In Jackson I trust.

Ainaurdur

Edmond Dantès;44518550 said:
Take Pan's Labyrinth with a smidgen of Hellboy thrown in and apply a thick glaze of Tolkien mythology and you have quite a tasty prospect.

It's funny how many people I know that absolutely hate Pan's Labyrinth. They say it is possibly the worst movie they have ever seen, I quickly reassure them that there are many worse out there. I wouldn't watch it over and over, but I appreciate it.

Certainly not a bad film. Just different.

- - -

Peter on HFR.
Newly posted, though not quite new as I feel like I have read it before elsewhere. Good for any who may have missed it though.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Some guidance on the OT from you fine fellows. How should spoilers be dealt with in the OT? Unlike most film OT's there is a major concern regarding the rest of the story and spoilers. I'm sure many people will be keen to discuss everything pertaining to The Hobbit and there is a very strong chance that the story will ruined for those who haven't read The Hobbit. Many of whom have probably avoided this thread for the past year or so, but won't avoid the OT.

A warning in the OP? A warning in the thread title? What becomes of this thread? Should we follow the Skyfall threads' example? Spoiler tags for Desolation of Smaug/There and Back Again discussion?

It's funny how many people I know that absolutely hate Pan's Labyrinth. They say it is possibly the worst movie they have ever seen, I quickly reassure them that there are many worse out there. I wouldn't watch it over and over, but I appreciate it.

Certainly not a bad film. Just different.

- - -

Peter on HFR.
Newly posted, though not quite new as I feel like I have read it before elsewhere. Good for any who may have missed it though.

lol what? I LOVE Pan's Labyrinth and to me it is one of the most imaginative and strongest fantasy movies of the last decade so i cannot even fathom that attitude, but i guess to each his own :(

GhaleonEB

LOL they couldn't use stand-ins to at least give him a reference point?

Seriously. Kinda reminds me of Terence Stamp's experience in Episode 1, where he was looking forward to working with Natalie Portman and got to talk to a broom instead. Only for the entire movie.

Did they do green screen in LOTR? I thought it was mostly in-camera effects and doubles.

Loxley

Seriously. Kinda reminds me of Terence Stamp's experience in Episode 1, where he was looking forward to working with Natalie Portman and got to talk to a broom instead. Only for the entire movie.

Did they do green screen in LOTR? I thought it was mostly in-camera effects and doubles.

A large chunk of the Bag End stuff was done with blue screen compositing, specifically the scenes with Gandalf and Bilbo/Frodo walking around next to each other.

The problem with The Hobbit is that there are so many characters that are of smaller stature that Gandalf has to interact with. That is why it is more widespread on this one.

Edmond Dantès;44522084 said:
Some guidance on the OT from you fine fellows. How should spoilers be dealt with in the OT? Unlike most film OT's there is a major concern regarding the rest of the story and spoilers. I'm sure many people will be keen to discuss everything pertaining to The Hobbit and there is a very strong chance that the story will ruined for those who haven't read The Hobbit. Many of whom have probably avoided this thread for the past year or so, but won't avoid the OT.

A warning in the OP? A warning in the thread title? What becomes of this thread? Should we follow the Skyfall threads' example? Spoiler tags for Desolation of Smaug/There and Back Again discussion?

Warning in the thread title and in the OP. Cover one's back.

The Hobbit premiere ticket in the mail this morning.

IMG_20121120_085636.jpg

IMG_20121120_085647.jpg

For my boss. :(

In the title. Then somebody else can make a spoiler thread. Skyfall's method was backwards.

Ainaurdur

I think two separate threads could be nice. One for only discussing AUJ and the other allowing a wider range of spoiler heavy Hobbit discussion. I can see a potential issue in segmentation of the people wanting to take part in the discussions though. I know if there are two threads, I will probably want to follow both of them. So perhaps one thread with strict guidelines on what needs to be spoiler tagged?

Though in either case, warnings in both title and OP would be good.

Loxley

Has this been mentioned yet?
http://www.eonline.com/news/364318/..._medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=imdb_topstories
Looks pretty serious if the allegations are true, I know to take everything PETA says with a grain of salt but it sound pretty legit.

An investigation was already conducted by a non-PETA animal safety organization that insures that safety of animals on film sets. They concluded that the deaths of the animals was not the result of negligence on part of the caretakers and we're basically just freak accidents. The horses weren't even on set when they died, so none of the production crew could really even be blamed for it.

Like you said, it's PETA, they're psychotic.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Thanks for help gentlemen.

Here's what I'm thinking title wise;

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey |OT| In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit with SPOILERS

The Hobbit Trilogy SPOILER heavy discussion |OT|

But that leaves this thread. It'll be a shame to see WyndhamPrice's excellent thread die.

Edmond Dantès;44528503 said:
But that leaves this thread. It'll be a shame to see WyndhamPrice's excellent thread die.

Gandalf: End? No, it doesn't end here. Death is just another path . . . one which we must all take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all change to silver glans...
Gandalf: ...And then you see it.
Pippin: What, Gandalf? See what?
Gandalf: White shores . . . and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise.
Pippin: Well, that isn't so bad.
Gandalf: [Softly:] No... No it isn't.

Edmond Dantès;44528503 said:
Thanks for help gentlemen.

Here's what I'm thinking title wise;

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey |OT| In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit with SPOILERS

The Hobbit Trilogy SPOILER heavy discussion |OT|

That reads like two spoiler threads. Very confusing.

You need to have a clear NO SPOILERS in one of them.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
That reads like two spoiler threads. Very confusing.

You need to have a clear NO SPOILERS in one of them.
Indeed.

A slight amendment to the actual film thread and voila:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey |OT| In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit with NO SPOILERS

But that's beyond the character limit for thread titles.

I guess either of these would suffice:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey |OT| In a hole there lived a hobbit with NO SPOILERS or this;

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey |OT| NO SPOILERS

Edmond Dantès;44528916 said:
Indeed.

A slight amendment to the actual film thread and voila:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey |OT| In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit with NO SPOILERS

But that's beyond the character limit for thread titles.

I guess either of these would suffice:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey |OT| In a hole there lived a hobbit with NO SPOILERS

Yep. Done.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/peter-jackson-hobbit-producers-deny-animal-death-claims/

Producers of Warner Bros‘ trilogy The Hobbit said today that they “completely reject the accusations that 27 animals died due to mistreatment during the making of the films”. In a statement, director Peter Jackson and other producers of the upcoming JRR Tolkien films say claims by dismissed animal wranglers that sinkholes and other death traps led to more than two dozen animal deaths on a farm where they were stabled and housed are false. The accusations were brought to light in a Associated Press report today based on information that rights group People For the Ethical Treatment of Animals claims it provided to the news agency.

Randdalf

Turns out I live a few minutes walk away from one of the few cinemas in the UK showing the Hobbit in 48 FPS, but I've already got tickets to see it elsewhere. Oh well, I can see it again later.

I'm definitely doing the 1h30 trip to see it the first time in 48fps. I will weep, and cream my pants with all this 48 fps Middle Earth goodness. Best movie of the decade, I'm already calling it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'm definitely doing the 1h30 trip to see it the first time in 48fps. I will weep, and cream my pants with all this 48 fps Middle Earth goodness. Best movie of the decade, I'm already calling it.
There are two further films in the trilogy, it's far to early to call and to put An Unexpected Journey on top. We won't even have seen the star of The Hobbit;
Smaug the Magnificent yet.

Edmond Dantès;44533237 said:
Pfft, in terms of movie of the year. We all know the answer to that. ;)

VbkNW.jpg

One of those movies I need to check out. Never seen but heard only praise. Tho that happened with Blade Runner and I didn't like it :d.

Still no info on what theaters show 48 fps in Finland. I fully expect I need to travel but then again we got a brand new big ass theater right next door so not all hope is lost.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
One of those movies I need to check out. Never seen but heard only praise. Tho that happened with Blade Runner and I didn't like it :d.

Still no info on what theaters show 48 fps in Finland. I fully expect I need to travel but then again we got a brand new big ass theater right next door so not all hope is lost.
It's one of the greats of cinema and fully deserves the praise. I've seen it on TV, VHS, DVD and Blu-ray recently, but the big screen has eluded me until now. That will be rectified Sunday. :)

Only An Unexpected Journey means more to me film wise this year.

This thread will tell you a bit about the film;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489444

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom