• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edmond Dantès;44533237 said:
Pfft, in terms of movie of the year. We all know the answer to that. ;)

VbkNW.jpg

Pfft, wasn't even shit-converted for 3D.

Titanic wins again.

bengraven

There was a little story thread in Lord of the Rings that we wanted to pick up on and develop and it involved a very feminine energy, so we decided to use it and the character of Tauriel came into being."

...what little story thread...?

Is this about the supposed attraction between her and one of the pretty boy dwarves? Like an extension of Gimli's crush on Galadriel or something?

via Deadline:

UPDATE, 4:10 PM: The American Humane Association, which monitors on-set animal use under its “No Animals Were Harmed” program, called the animal deaths “needless and unacceptable” in a release of its own this afternoon. The group reiterated that it only monitors animal use on set, and that the incidents in question happened at a working farm 186 miles from the main set and 26 miles from the soundstage. “We do not have either the jurisdiction or funding to extend that oversight to activities or conditions off set or before animals come under our protection”, said AHA president and CEO Robin Ganzert. “There are too many incidents off the set and this must stop. It is vital that we work with the industry to bring the kind of protection we have for animals during filming to all phases of production.” The AHA said it sent letters to industry leaders in January of this year seeking ways to work together to improve the welfare of animals off the set as well as on.

Ruh roh.

And the hits just keep on comin.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/warner-bros-sued-for-80m-by-j-r-r-tolkien-estate-publisher/

The estate of Lord of The Rings author J.R.R Tolkien went after Warner Bros today in an $80 million lawsuit over online slot machines and other digital merchandising. In their complaint (read it here), the Tolkien Estate Ltd, its trustees and News Corp-owned publisher HarperCollins have charged the studio, its New Line subsidiary and The Saul Zaentz Company’s Middle-earth Enterprises division with copyright infringement and breach of contract. It’s not the hugely successful movies they’re fighting over, its merchandising that the Estate says were never anticipated as part of their original deal with the studio and rights holder Zaentz. “The original contracting parties thus contemplated a limited grant of the right to sell consumer products of the type regularly merchandised at the time (such as figurines, tableware, stationery items, clothing and the like). They did not include any grant of exploitations such as electronic or digital rights, rights in media yet to be devised or other intangibles such as rights in services,” says the 26-page complaint. This legal move comes just under a month before the Warner Bros-distributed and Peter Jackson-directed The Hobbit hits the big screen on December 14. The Lord of the Rings trilogy, directed by Jackson, have made almost $3 billion in worldwide box office.

Edmond Dantès;44533057 said:
There are two further films in the trilogy, it's far to early to call and to put An Unexpected Journey on top. We won't even have seen the star of The Hobbit;
Smaug the Magnificent yet.

It will be the best movie of the decade until Desolation is out, and then There ;)

I've already got two 2D sessions booked. Will probably see the 3D HRF version after that... if it's worth seeing a third time. :p

Thats what I was planning to do. But then I realized that the thing which is most impressive with the HRF seems to be the wide location shots and CG scenes, and if I've seen those scenes already in 24fps then they aren't going to have the same impact as seeing them the first time.

bengraven

So if the music isn't completed until a few days before the final cut is in place.....I know we get abridged soundtracks each time, but what if Shore makes his fucking MASTERPIECE in the last few days and suddenly we miss out. :p

Edmond Dantès;44534715 said:
XenArwen.

vYeMS.jpg

Looks ready for battle doesn't she. ;)

Oh god, I hope you're joking.

But that makes sense. They had so much script written for her to be in Two Towers for example...

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
So if the music isn't completed until a few days before the final cut is in place.....I know we get abridged soundtracks each time, but what if Shore makes his fucking MASTERPIECE in the last few days and suddenly we miss out. :p

Oh god, I hope you're joking.

But that makes sense. They had so much script written for her to be in Two Towers for example...
Warrior Elf maiden's are something we haven't seen in Peter Jackson's Middle-earth yet so I guess they want to incorporate that aspect into the Hobbit trilogy along with other things from Tolkien's legendarium that they couldn't fit into The Lord of the Rings;
Barrrow-Wights
for example.

Watevaman

LotR blu ray EE coming today. This weekend is the only chance I have to watch it before the first Hobbit film comes out so great timing.

bengraven

Oh I knew about that, but I meant "joking" as in them picking up the threads of Arwen that they were forced to delete. :p

Edmond Dantès;44550661 said:
Warrior Elf maiden's are something we haven't seen in Peter Jackson's Middle-earth yet so I guess they want to incorporate that aspect into the Hobbit trilogy along with other things from Tolkien's legendarium that they couldn't fit into The Lord of the Rings;
Barrrow-Wights
for example.

I would kill an elven babe to see your spoilers in the film.

That's a huge sin to have not seem them on film.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Oh I knew about that, but I meant "joking" as in them picking up the threads of Arwen that they were forced to delete. :p

I would kill an elven babe to see your spoilers in the film.

That's a huge sin to have not seem them on film.
I think it's pretty much confirmed that
Wights will be in trilogy under the service of The Nercomancer in or around Dol Guldur

Edmond Dantès;44550780 said:
From what I've read the Tolkien forums circa 2001-2002 were up in arms at the whole Arwen at Helm's Deep idea. So much so that Liv actually shed tears at some of the vitriol written about her online. :(

Yes, I was there for that. There was some serious outrage in theonering forums and chatroom. There was more outrage too when this leaked 2 years before TTT even came out. Heh.

667.jpg

Ainaurdur

Edmond Dantès;44548624 said:
The Tolkien Estate and Middle-earth enterprises have never been on the best of terms and this'll just exasperate the ill opinions that they have towards each other.

One things for sure; Middle-earth enterprises will never have the rights to The Silmarillion.

While I would love to see some super extensive in-depth screen treatment of The Silmarillion, it's probably best if they are never able to touch it. Too much potential heartbreak from silly alterations.
I would have to do everything I could to play a part in it if ever it was to happen.

Here's the link.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/peter-jackson/animal-allegations-on-the-hobbit/10151300381651558

Basically typical PETA telling tall tales and trying to harm everyone not within their ranks.

Aye, PETA can bug off. Glad they are able to defend themselves from the absurd claims.

Edmond Dantès;44550780 said:
From what I've read the Tolkien forums circa 2001-2002 were up in arms at the whole Arwen at Helm's Deep idea. So much so that Liv actually shed tears at some of the vitriol written about her online. :(

I remember that as well. Always felt bad to think that anyone was aiming rude comments at Liv, directly or indirectly, as she certainly wasn't the one writing the script. I am glad that Peter did not abandon reason in the end
Thus falling into madness!
and removed that major departure from the film.

Edmond Dantès;44550950 said:
I think it's pretty much confirmed that
Wights will be in trilogy under the service of The Necromancer in or around Dol Guldur

Be still my beating heart. So good to hear, even if they are not quite in the right place. Tis acceptable here.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;44552830 said:

Goblin Town looks better and better the more I see it. Speaking of looking better, Sting's glowing effect is vastly improved from the LotR trilogy. It actually looks like the blade itself is glowing rather than having a blue smudge effect layed over it in Adobe After Effects.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Goblin Town looks better and better the more I see it. Speaking of looking better, Sting's glowing effect is vastly improved from the LotR trilogy. It actually looks like the blade itself is glowing rather than having a blue smudge effect layed over it in Adobe After Effects.
Shame about Glamdring not glowing though, from what we‘ve seen thus far, there‘s still hope for Orcrist though

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;44555691 said:
Shame about Glamdring not glowing though, from what we‘ve seen thus far, there‘s still hope for Orcrist though

When I get my Noble Collection replica, I'll report my findings ;)

I just hope if PJ thinks up and films any similar questionable creative opportunities he makes the smart choice and leaves them on the cutting room floor!

Imagine how bad TTT and ROTK would have been with Arwen chopping up Uruk-Hai and Sauron appearing for a duel at the Black Gate?

It's all part of the creative process. You try some things; you see if they work. In the case of LOTR, PJ is tweaking the canon and I'm sure is trying to stick closely to it. But that doesn't mean he isn't going to shoot some things and take a look at them to decide whether they would fit or not.

There were some things he did quite well with the LOTR trilogy that were not in the books that helped heighten them to epic levels of filmmaking.

I trust that he'll do the same with The Hobbit.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It's all part of the creative process. You try some things; you see if they work. In the case of LOTR, PJ is tweaking the canon and I'm sure is trying to stick closely to it. But that doesn't mean he isn't going to shoot some things and take a look at them to decide whether they would fit or not.

There were some things he did quite well with the LOTR trilogy that were not in the books that helped heighten them to epic levels of filmmaking.

The Lighting of the Beacons was one of those things he did very well. Nothing's really made of it in the novel, it just sort of happens. Whereas in the film, well it's a magnificent scene.

I never get tired of watching this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6LGJ7evrAg

I appreciated the closure that giving Eowyn a chance to say goodbye to Theoden brought. The thought that he dies not ever knowing what she did is frustrating in the book but I guess bringing closure to everything isn't always best.

kharma45

Finally booked my tickets today, was always going to but after the Odeon in Belfast confirmed they'd be showing it in 48fps I had to make sure I got day 1 tickets.

bengraven

Wait, Miranda Kerr is in this?

And truth be known, of all unresolved and mysterious threads of ME lore, dwarf reproduction and whether the women had beards is one of my most wanted. Come back from the dead John.

I'm sure Dante's could find more interesting mysteries...keep in mind I just assume balrogs don't have wings. ;)

Ainaurdur

Edmond Dantès;44564459 said:
The Lighting of the Beacons was one of those things he did very well. Nothing's really made of it in the novel, it just sort of happens. Whereas in the film, well it's a magnificent scene.

Gondor calls for aid!

Edmond Dantès;44570927 said:
I wonder what the dwarven women will look like and if their beards will be longer and more lush than certain members of the party.

I would not be surprised. As long as the women are older than Fili and Kili at least, when on screen.

Edmond Dantès;44564459 said:

Indeed, that's one of my favorite scenes. I'm all for elaborating on small things from the book, I just don't support adding things that were never there.

By the way, the music in that scene is wonderful. Also, some of those perches would suck.

To be fair though some things stand out at least to as things you just avoid. Arwen at Helms deep? I suppose it would be worth looking at if you want to push the love aspect between Arwen and Aragorn. Sauron appearing at the Blackgate? That is a huge change to things for me.

Things like the lighting of the beacons work as they focus on either something that happened in the book, or add something new and plausible. The Elves at Helms Deep minus Arwen actually worked for me, since it played on the relationship between Elves and men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom