• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Gondor calls for aid!

I would not be surprised. As long as the women are older than Fili and Kili at least, when on screen.
tumblr_lwd61fYFx01qaa5c1o4_250.gif

Wait, Miranda Kerr is in this?

And truth be known, of all unresolved and mysterious threads of ME lore, dwarf reproduction and whether the women had beards is one of my most wanted. Come back from the dead John.

I'm sure Dante's could find more interesting mysteries...keep in mind I just assume balrogs don't have wings. ;)
In terms of the main titles in the legendarium, there's only the following from appendix A of The Return of the King:
It was said by Gimli that there are few dwarf-women, probably no more than a third of the whole people. They seldom walk abroad except at great need. They are in voice and appearance, and in garb if they must go on a journey, so like to the dwarf-men that the eyes and ears of other peoples cannot tell them apart.
More importantly from The History of Middle-earth series, Volume Eleven, The War of the Jewels:
The Naugrim were ever, as they still remain, short and squat in stature; they were deep-breasted, strong in the arm, and stout in the leg, and their beards were long. Indeed this strangeness they have that no Man nor Elf has ever seen a beardless Dwarf - unless he were shaven in mockery, and would then be more like to die of shame than of many other hurts that to us would seem more deadly. For the Naugrim have beards from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike; nor indeed can their womenkind be discerned by those of other race, be it in feature or in gait or in voice, nor in any wise save this: that they go not to war, and seldom save at direst need issue from their deep bowers and halls. It is said, also, that their womenkind are few, and that save their kings and chieftains few Dwarves ever wed; wherefore their race multiplied slowly, and now is dwindling.

Little hairy women indeed.

To be fair though some things stand out at least to as things you just avoid. Arwen at Helms deep? I suppose it would be worth looking at if you want to push the love aspect between Arwen and Aragorn. Sauron appearing at the Blackgate? That is a huge change to things for me.

Things like the lighting of the beacons work as they focus on either something that happened in the book, or add something new and plausible. The Elves at Helms Deep minus Arwen actually worked for me, since it played on the relationship between Elves and men.

I agree that this works fine, but I don't see how Arwen being with the other Elves would have been bad. If it's already a deviation from the source material, why not take that extra step? The Hobbit movies are creating new characters (Tauriel right?) to add a female element to the story, at least this would've been a character that already existed.

Platy

It was only a matter of time.

Huge Budget movie that will make lots of money with women with facial hair ?

Even for awards I can't think of any movie outside Frida that won and had women with hair of any kind other than head hair =P

Edmond Dantès;44570927 said:
I wonder what the dwarven women will look like and if their beards will be longer and more lush than certain members of the party.

The movie NEEDS a joke about Kili's beard being girly

The one change to LotR that Jackson made that I really can't forgive is the Nazgul discovering Frodo at Osgiliath and clearly seeing the ring. It served no purpose at all and furthermore completely ruined the point of Frodo and Sam sneaking into Mordor.

Loxley

The one change to LotR that Jackson made that I really can't forgive is the Nazgul discovering Frodo at Osgiliath and clearly seeing the ring. It served no purpose at all and furthermore completely ruined the point of Frodo and Sam sneaking into Mordor.

I think I remember Jackson saying at some point that if he could go back and change something about the LotR films it would be how many times Frodo almost dies/gets caught. By the time we get to RotK and Frodo is dangling over the edge above the lava in Mount Doom it's happened so often that it's almost redundant.

The one that happened in Osgiliath was definitely one of those points, since Frodo wasn't technically supposed to be there anyway.

I suppose without the possible corruption of Faramir there wasn't very much for Sam an Frodo to worry about once Shelob was booted to the third film, so I think it's understandable that PJ wanted to inject a little more drama. (I don't really have an opinion one way or another.)

I suppose without the possible corruption of Faramir there wasn't very much for Sam an Frodo to worry about once Shelob was booted to the third film, so I think it's understandable that PJ wanted to inject a little more drama. (I don't really have an opinion one way or another.)

But the Nazgul clearly saw the ring and could no doubt feel it at that distance, so if they were following the natural logic of Tolkien's story, everything would have ended then and there. Even if Frodo wasn't immediately captured, Sauron would know who had the ring.

WB have increased the number of award screenings for The Hobbit to 40. For comparison, they have 18 lined up for Argo. Hopefully its a sign of growing confidence in the quality of the completed movie.

Loxley

Oh hey, for those who are a fan of the LotR music (so, all of us) ThePianoGuys - one of the best music channels on YouTube in my opinion - just released a video of them covering a few tracks from the trilogy, it's pretty awesome.

Edmond Dantès;44589973 said:

Too many negative articles? She must post on The Barrow Down forums am I right?

badumtish.jpg

Review embargo life for trades on Monday, December 3rd while everyone else's is Thursday, December 13th.

Very likely to change, especially the latter.

Review embargo life for trades on Monday, December 3rd while everyone else's is Thursday, December 13th.

Very likely to change, especially the latter.

Well the premiere is Nov 28th, so I think we'll know from the buzz/reactions after that which direction its going. I'd be surprised if there wasn't maybe even a bit of buzz before that.

Talking of Boromir scenes, I wish they had included that extended edition scene, concerning his relationship with his brother and father, in the theatrical cut. It affected the way I viewed his character.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Talking of Boromir scenes, I wish they had included that extended edition scene, concerning his relationship with his brother and father, in the theatrical cut. It affected the way I viewed his character.
Yes, the perception among the general public after the The Fellowship was that he was a villain who got what was coming to him, including that scene in theatrical cut of The Two Towers might have changed general public's opinions of him.

Edmond Dantès;44603252 said:
Yes, the perception among the general public after the The Fellowship was that he was a villain who got what was coming to him, including that scene in theatrical cut of The Two Towers might have changed general public's opinions of him.

His death scene is one of the best in the entire trilogy, but man... I wonder how much ass Boromir would have kicked at Helms Deep. :/

kingocfs

Man, they are not messing around for the premiere.

'The Hobbit' Will Premiere in High Frame Rates Using Christie Projection System

For the premiere, a pair of top-of-the-line Christie Solaria CP2230 series digital projectors—using the Christie Duo integration kit to combine the two—will fill the screen with more than 12 foot lamberts of light. The exhibition community has been looking for ways to increase the brightness of 3D presentations, which according to Christie generally reach just 3 to 4.5 foot lamberts (a measurement of light) while 2D light levels tend to offer 14 foot lamberts.

If I could only have one of the extended scenes back in the theatrical cut, it would be his 'Lords of Gondor' conversation with Aragorn.

dalin80

Banned
Edmond Dantès;44603252 said:

I suppose its quite difficult to show Boromirs redemption and highlight that he was a good guy who in his death did the right thing so soon after a powerful scene where he betrayed the hero of the story. Any attempt after would involve Aragon with a weird eulogy,

'oh Boromir, you were all right. Fell victim to the ring but then kicked some ass to save some hobbits who had no idea of the effect of your grandly screwed up upbringing. If only we had a chance to know your past better in this 9 hour story, but alas there was no room. Goodbye my friend you sadly misunderstood goodguy, wish me luck on my way to shame some deadguys and totally bluff a deus ex machina ending with killer ghosts that render the whole 'preparing for war' bit void and pointless'.

Platy

WB have increased the number of award screenings for The Hobbit to 40. For comparison, they have 18 lined up for Argo. Hopefully its a sign of growing confidence in the quality of the completed movie.

Studios rise the money for production and marketing is a sequel gave much money, so it should be natural that a sequel of the record for most oscars receive more award attention

Studios rise the money for production and marketing is a sequel gave much money, so it should be natural that a sequel of the record for most oscars receive more award attention

No offense intended, but I've read your post three times and am still having trouble understanding what you're saying.

Quake1028

Edmond Dantès;44609589 said:
Just after the eagle rescue, from the 'Out Of The Frying-Pan Into The Fire' chapter.

Thanks. Ironically enough that is where I am in the book. Well, the next chapter. I figured that (so far) that was a pretty logical stopping point. Any clue yet how long the movie will be?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I suppose its quite difficult to show Boromirs redemption and highlight that he was a good guy who in his death did the right thing so soon after a powerful scene where he betrayed the hero of the story. Any attempt after would involve Aragon with a weird eulogy,

'oh Boromir, you were all right. Fell victim to the ring but then kicked some ass to save some hobbits who had no idea of the effect of your grandly screwed up upbringing. If only we had a chance to know your past better in this 9 hour story, but alas there was no room. Goodbye my friend you sadly misunderstood goodguy, wish me luck on my way to shame some deadguys and totally bluff a deus ex machina ending with killer ghosts that render the whole 'preparing for war' bit void and pointless'.
A common complaint, but it's entirely understandable as to why Peter and co decided to go that route. Introducing the likes of Prince Imrahil and the Swan Knights as well as the Dúnedain to fortify the army and having the Battle play out as it did in the novel would increase the runtime by quite a margin, not to mention a plethora of new characters to introduce and to confuse the audience with. Sacrifices would have to have been made with other parts of the narrative.

aceface

Edmond Dantès;44574109 said:
tumblr_lwd61fYFx01qaa5c1o4_250.gif

In terms of the main titles in the legendarium, there's only the following from appendix A of The Return of the King:

More importantly from The History of Middle-earth series, Volume Eleven, The War of the Jewels:

Little hairy women indeed.

Interesting quotes. Any speculation yet on PJ making one of the 12 main dwarves a (secret) woman? There's so little said about some of them in the book that I suppose it could be possible.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Interesting quotes. Any speculation yet on PJ making one of the 12 main dwarves a (secret) woman? There's so little said about some of them in the book that I suppose it could be possible.
I don't think Peter would go that far. Although, Kili is quite the looker....

Branduil

Edmond Dantès;44613330 said:
A common complaint, but it's entirely understandable as to why Peter and co decided to go that route. Introducing the likes of Prince Imrahil and the Swan Knights as well as the Dúnedain to fortify the army and having the Battle play out as it did in the novel would increase the runtime by quite a margin, not to mention a plethora of new characters to introduce and to confuse the audience with. Sacrifices would have to have been made with other parts of the narrative.

It probably would have helped to just not portray the Dead as entirely invincible. Just show a few of them "breaking" or getting cut down during the battle.

Dead

well not really...yet
I think that might include trailers, because the cut is most definitely not 2h51, since it wouldn't be able to run in IMAX theatres with that run time.
It might be 171 minuts, but shorter in IMAX with shorter end credits, like Avatar SE was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom