• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad_Ban

That's a still-skinny PJ in that shot with Freeman. His hoodie is open which I guess gives the impression of a bigger stomach. :p

bengraven

Mad_Ban said:
That's a still-skinny PJ in that shot with Freeman. His hoodie is open which I guess gives the impression of a bigger stomach. :p

Not just the apparent stomach but also the style of beard and cheekbones look like a guy from the making of videos. The gay fat guy with a beard who works with, I think minitures. Dunno. Pj's beard is much shorter and close cropped.

I mean, hey, I might be wrong, but I stand by it.

GCX

bengraven said:
No, it's not. That looks just like one of the Weta effects guys. PJ is still skinny.
Entertainment Weekly's description of the photo:

PETER JACKSON WITH MARTIN FREEMAN
''There's no way you can pace yourself for shoots like these,'' Jackson says. ''When we were going through the schedule for The Hobbit, I felt a terrible drop in my stomach when I saw that we'd be shooting for 254 days. We're only 12 days short of The Lord of the Rings even though we're only doing two movies. When I saw that, I had to sort of pick myself up off the floor and carry on.''

bengraven said:
Not just the apparent stomach but also the style of beard and cheekbones look like a guy from the making of videos. The gay fat guy with a beard who works with, I think minitures. Dunno. Pj's beard is much shorter and close cropped.

I mean, hey, I might be wrong, but I stand by it.

That's Peter Jackson without a shadow of a doubt.

He's stacked on a few kilos in the last year.

mjc

Kermit The Dog said:
You're an idiot. That's Peter Jackson without a shadow of a doubt.

He's stacked on a few kilos in the last year.

Take it easy dude, no reason to start throwing insults over this.

watkinzez

Genesis Knight said:
LOTR = fat
King Kong = skinny
Hobbit = fat

I see a correlation here...

pjhobbit.jpg

Great, you just jinxed it.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Fat or skinny Luther.....ahem....I mean Pete discussions?! I'm in.

I like him the way he is.

He was more loveable and cheery when he was fat. I just wanted to hug him. When he got skinny, he seemed to lose a bit of charisma. I couldn't put my finger on it. Jolly PJ is my choice!

nomis

Scullibundo said:
ITS WONDERFUL TO SEE YOU, GANDALF! :D

Reading this felt exactly the same "Good news everyone!" with a picture of Farnsworth. Without thinking about for half a second, it was already in Elijah Wood's voice.

The video intros that they filmed for the Extended Edition theatrical runs these last few weeks were from the set of the Hobbit. PJ is a lil heavier than that pic above, but nowhere near LOTR levels. That pic is most likely just a loose sweater on him.

I am hoping they secretly show something, ANYTHING, from The Hobbit at the ROTK showing this Tuesday. Just a lil surprise.

PhoncipleBone said:
I am hoping they secretly show something, ANYTHING, from The Hobbit at the ROTK showing this Tuesday. Just a lil surprise.

I think it's WAY to early yet. I'm betting on a teaser this christmas.

Saying that, when was the first lotr teaser released? The one for all three movies?

Loxley

I have to say, I'm loving the colors, lighting, and depth of field in these photos. Granted it's likely that it's just a result of them using vastly improved camera technology compared to what they were using ten years ago, but either way...it looks great.

Side note, when the hell are they going to release super high-res versions of these photos? I want that Bilbo + Dwarves pic as a wallpaper yesterday.

MYE

WOW i did not see the official pics before!!!!!!

Hobbit-Ian-Mckellan_610.jpg

So good i'm gonna cry. Gandalf didnt age a day :´)

Genesis Knight said:
LOTR = fat
King Kong = skinny
Hobbit = fat

I see a correlation here...

Jolly Peter >>>>>>>>>>>>> Skinny Peter

i liked King Kong, though *runs*

Loxley

Just posted to The Hobbit's facebook page

Nori, Ori, and Dori.

JED BROPHY as Nori, ADAM BROWN as Ori and MARK HADLOW as Dori in New Line Cinema’s and MGM's fantasy adventure THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY, a Warner Bros. Pictures release. Photo by James Fisher.

DORI, NORI & ORI
These three brothers, all sons of the same mother, could not be more different from each other. Dori, the oldest, spends much of his time watching out for Ori, the youngest; making sure he’s not caught a chill or got himself killed by Wargs or Goblins.

Nobody quite knows what Nori gets up to most of the time, except that it’s guaranteed to be dodgy and quite probably, illegal.

Dori, Nori and Ori are intensely loyal to each other – and whilst they are perfectly happy fighting amongst themselves, woe-betide anyone who means harm to one of these brothers.

I love how they're clearly going to give each dwarf their own unique visual identity. I also dig that they're not afraid to get a little whimsical with the designs.

I think it's because they're standing on a nondescript background, when we see them all together in Middle-Earth it should mesh better.

I was wondering how they were going to differentiate the dwarves visually, it looks like they've got that down. They couldn't all look like Gimli with different colored beards.

Man, I really dislike those designs (hair on the left is the worst offender) - just to clarify, are these actual humans? Their faces look like toys.

Compare:

ckohler

I'm glad they all look unique. Looking back at Fellowship, I was expecting a half-dozen Ghimli clones. The only thing that bothers me is Nori's hair. It's time to du-du-du-du-du-duel!

Genesis Knight said:
Man, I really dislike those designs (hair on the left is the worst offender) - just to clarify, are these actual humans? Their faces look like toys.

Compare:

I assume they're target renders. The centre dwarves face has a very CGI-look to it.

Kermit The Dog said:
I assume they're target renders. The centre dwarves face has a very CGI-look to it.

Joke post? The image has obviously been airbrushed and photoshopped to hell and back but there's no doubt those are the real actors in costume, they've been filming for months now.

Loxley

Since the image they released was actually a pretty high resolution, I zoomed in a bit so you can see their faces better.

Retro

To be fair, there are 12 dwarves who are not Thorin that people will have a hard time not getting confused. Bombur is the only other one who's going to stick out because of his weight; the others are all brothers and cousins and wear matching cloaks when they come in pairs.

Making each of them look different is going to be somewhat useful when trying to make it look like Bilbo isn't just surrounded by a shit ton of random dwarves. I admit it's going to be annoying when people say "The Pompadour Dwarf" or "Spiky Dwarf", but at least they won't be saying "Fuckin' Hobbit, I can't tell the dwarves apart."

Dwarves designs look. . .pretty bad. Ori looks like one of the chuckle brothers and dori looks like Frasier crossed with the evil Santa in Santa Clause 2. The beards look too short.

I'm concerned about Thorin. His actor isn't your typical burly hard nosed hero. His voice doesn't have the strength of a dwarven king.

I can't wait for Thorin + co to make a dramatic entrance to the battle of five armies. I'm expecting dwarven horns to be sounded and for everyone to turn around to face the mountain. Then. . BAM. . .out come Thorin and the twelve other dwarves with Thorin swinging Orchrist as it shines in the sun.

They'll have to drag out Smaugs attack on Esgaroth/Laketown because he died very quickly/unexpectedly when I first read The Hobbit. I really expected him to not be dead and rise up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom