• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDK Rises

I love FotR, but it's easily the worst of the 3.

maskoff_medium.gif

Just did some quick calculating. If I go see The Hobbit HFR 3D IMAX it's going to cost me approx $100 to do it, due to the 2 and a half hour drive (both ways), the ticket, food/drink, etc...

I might have to do it, just need to do it on a day I don't work.

Daft_Cat

I don't see how it's easily the best, either. Despite the fact that people seem to have a natural affinity for the original in any series, I think LOTR is one of the most consistent trilogies ever filmed. Actually, scratch that. It's the most consistent. It's basically one big movie.

Solo

I don't see how it's easily the best, either. Despite the fact that people seem to have a natural affinity for the original in any series, I think LOTR is one of, if not the most consistent trilogy ever filmed.

It has all the character development and interaction, and has that whimsical and exciting feeling that the others lack. It also has a real emotional undercurrent which surfaces beautifully at key moments (Gandalf "dies"/Boromir dies/the breaking of the Fellowship).

I realize thats mostly due to the books, but still. The first movie is a grand adventure, a road movie of the finest calibre. The other two are doom and gloom.

Just did some quick calculating. If I go see The Hobbit HFR 3D IMAX it's going to cost me approx $100 to do it, due to the 2 and a half hour drive (both ways), the ticket, food/drink, etc...

I might have to do it, just need to do it on a day I don't work.

You could always watch it locally first and then if you really like it travel to check out the HFR version another day?

Kud Dukan

I don't see how it's easily the best, either. Despite the fact that people seem to have a natural affinity for the original in any series, I think LOTR is one of the most consistent trilogies ever filmed. Actually, scratch that. It's the most consistent. It's basically one big movie.

Definitely agree with that.

It has all the character development and interaction, and has that whimsical and exciting feeling that the others lack. It also has a real emotional undercurrent which surfaces beautifully at key moments (Gandalf "dies"/Boromir dies/the breaking of the Fellowship).

I realize thats mostly due to the books, but still.

Boromir dies in the Two Towers in the books, so I think that was a really good change by Jackson.

I think the reason why the first is particularly appealing is because it boils down to 9 bros going on an adventure together so it feels nice and contained whereas the others splits them apart and is concerned with things on a much, much bigger scale, especially when you have three massive battle scenes.

You don't get the whole exploration of dark places, fighting together as a group and bonding in the other films.

Solo

You're lucky PJ omitted Tom Bombadil from FOTR; otherwise you'd have no leg to stand on.

That was his best change made from the books. Worst is a bit harder to decide, but I really loathe the stupid, goofy "Aragorn is dead!" invention from TTT, so I'll nominate that. Also totally botched the Army of the Dead in ROTK.

That's because it is one big movie. I mean, they were written, shot and edited simultaneously.

The only notable exception to this is the difference in CGI. What little glimpse we get of Gollum in FOTR is terrible and looks nothing like the Gollum from TTT/ROTK.

Jacob

That's because it is one big movie. I mean, they were written, shot and edited simultaneously.

Written and shot, yes (though TTT and ROTK had pick-up shoots), but editing and post-production for each film was done separately. As a result you can see some of the differences in PJ's evolution as a blockbuster filmmaker throughout the trilogy.

Solo

For the most part, yes, but the were tons of reshoots done after the fact for the latter films, and the CG was completed film by film.

kingocfs

I realize thats mostly due to the books, but still. The first movie is a grand adventure, a road movie of the finest calibre. The other two are doom and gloom.

Meh. The key moments you describe lead to major repercussions in the next two movies and would not be as impactful without them.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "all the character development and interaction," either. Are you implying that these characters and their relationships change completely and remain that way by the end of the first movie of that trilogy?

Kud Dukan

Solo

I'm saying that most of the meaningful development and exchanges occur in the first film. ROTK has 706 endings, yet none of them are as touching or poignant as certain scenes in FOTR.

I'm saying that most of the meaningful development and exchanges occur in the first film. ROTK has 706 endings, yet none of them are as touching or poignant as certain scenes in FOTR.

Did you completely forget the coronation scene in ROTK? That's the most powerful moment in the entire trilogy if you ask me.

"No my friends...you bow to no one."

-griffy-

Banned

I strongly disagree with that. First of all, most of Aragorn and Sam's development happens in ROTK, it's where they both step up and really take control of their respective situations. In fact it's that way for many of the supporting characters, whether it's Eowyn or Merry/Pippin. They are all very different characters at the end of ROTK than they are at the end of Fellowship.

ROTK has perhaps the biggest emotional release of any film I've ever experienced, and a lot of that is because it's a release set up by everything in the previous three films. Frodo's face lighting up at the site of Gandalf works so well because of FOTR. I still get teared up at Frodo and Sam sitting on the volcano after the ring is destroyed, at the Fellowship's reaction to thinking Frodo has just been killed when the volcano erupts, at the moment between the four hobbits in the Green Dragon, and at the parting at the Grey Havens.

To me, the best stuff in ROTK is easily on par or better than the best stuff of ROTK, but the worst stuff is probably worse than the bad in FOTR, so they kind of even out for me.

I'd probably go with Boromir's death/redemption.

That's my third favorite moment. The scene where Sam picks up Frodo when they're ascending the mountain was almost as powerful as the coronation scene, to me at least. I was never crazy about Boromir as a character though, so that's probably why it wasn't as powerful to me personally.

Solo

Speaking of the ending(s): man, that one with Frodo waking up in bed and then all the hobbits/people coming in and shit and laughing and smiling in slo-mo is the hokiest and most homoerotic scene I had seen in some time. Pure awkward cheese.

"I would have followed you my brother. My Captain. My King."

best scene in the trilogy

*brofist*

Edmond Dantès;44842447 said:

For me, the most reassuring thing from these impressions are that general public seem to be enjoying and HFR. Still though, I think hometown premiere opinions are always going to be biased so...we await Dec 3rd.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Ending the film after the Grey Havens parting would have made sense, though not strictly in keeping with Tolkien's end.

And I wonder how different the trilogy would be if Arwen was omitted in the same manner as is in the novel by Tolkien. It would have freed up a lot of runtime. Time that could have been used to introduce and develop the likes of Prince Imrahil and the Swan Knights, the Rangers of the North and Elrond's sons. Therefore the Battle of the Pelennor Fields could have been done properly without the contrivance of the Army of the Dead.

Erkenbrand could have been used to good effect as well in The Two Towers and therefore Eomer could have fought alongside Aragorn in the Battle of Helm's Deep.

Loxley

So this was pretty cool; my school had a guest artist-lecture today by an illustrator named James... Gorman? .... I think? Anyway, among working for Hasbro and American Greetings he did some concept art work on The Hobbit (apparently Richard Taylor is a big fan of his). Unfortunately he couldn't show us lot if what he did since it's all top secret, but he did show us some designs he did for the goblins in Goblintown, as well as the warg riders and Azog.

He told a pretty funny anecdote where he was in a design meeting with Richard Taylor and a few of the other concept artists and PJ called on the middle of the meeting and told Taylor that he didn't want the goblins in Goblintown to be completely CG and that he wanted some of them to be actors in prosthetics, and - in typical Jackson fashion - that he needed the prosthetic suits in a week. So they had an emergency meeting with all the make-up, prosthetics and concept artists to figure out how to give actors the proportions of the goblins. He showed some sketches of the suits the actors wore and they were pretty ingeniously designed.

So let it be known that a good number of the goblins aren't completely CG, and are practical effects with digital enhancements (mainly in the faces).

Ixion

Fellowship is the best of the three because it followed one party throughout the film, instead of switching between Frodo and Aragorn.

It allowed the story to more easily keep hold of you. It was perfectly paced.

Fellowship is the best of the three because it followed one party throughout the film, instead of switching between Frodo and Aragorn.

It allowed the story to more easily keep hold of you. It was perfectly paced.

Counterpoint: Star Wars IV follows one party throughout the film, whereas Star Wars V follows two distinct parties, and V is the superior film.

In general, I think films that split their attention between two or more separate storylines are just as good as those with only one storyline. In fact, they are oftentimes better.

I like the fact that ROTK had so many 'endings'. It always felt absurd to me to close off all storylines in one grand ending especially given how much one would have invested in the films. We had the coronation and reuniting with Arwen and through that, Aragorn's happy ending . Then we had them return to the Shire and give a hobbit ending of sorts. Then we had Frodo and Gandalf's sad ending because they just didn't belong in the world anymore. And finally, Sam's family centric ending.

Gimli and Legolas didn't get one. Goddamn.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Even though she's likely not in the first film I have to assume she'd be invited since she's still part of the whole production. If James Cameron can show up than why not her? The other actors might still have scheduling conflicts for the premiere but I don't think she's as busy as some of the others :p
I hope her character isn't a Mary Sue.

Ixion

Counterpoint: Star Wars IV follows one party throughout the film, whereas Star Wars V follows two distinct parties, and V is the superior film.

In general, I think films that split their attention between two or more separate storylines are just as good as those with only one storyline. In fact, they are oftentimes better.

My favorite Star Wars film is IV, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom