• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I think Legolas has already got that covered.
That's Tolkien's doing, sadly only a few of his Elvish characters are anything but one dimensional.

If Tolkien could characterise half as well as Dostoevsky for example, well... his work would be viewed rather differently.

It's a shame his best efforts in relation to characterisation are hidden away in The Unfinished Tales. The Mariner's Wife featuring Aldarion and Erendis is Tolkien's best character work.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;44843360 said:
Ending the film after the Grey Havens parting would have made sense, though not strictly in keeping with Tolkien's end.

And I wonder how different the trilogy would be if Arwen was omitted in the same manner as is in the novel by Tolkien. It would have freed up a lot of runtime. Time that could have been used to introduce and develop the likes of Prince Imrahil and the Swan Knights, the Rangers of the North and Elrond's sons. Therefore the Battle of the Pelennor Fields could have been done properly without the contrivance of the Army of the Dead.

Erkenbrand could have been used to good effect as well in The Two Towers and therefore Eomer could have fought alongside Aragorn in the Battle of Helm's Deep.

At least we might have gotten to see Glorfindel :(

Jacob

Edmond Dantès;44844193 said:
That's Tolkien's doing, sadly only a few of his Elvish characters are anything but one dimensional.

If Tolkien could characterise half as well as Dostoevsky for example, well... his work would be viewed rather differently.

It's a shame his best efforts in relation to characterisation are hidden away in The Unfinished Tales. The Mariner's Wife featuring Aldarion and Erendis is Tolkien's best character work.

Despite it being, well, unfinished, I think that UT contains much of Tolkien's best writing. I'm able to jump in and enjoy both the character-oriented stories and the broader mythology. Cirion and Eorl is one of my favorites in the latter category. UT is in my opinion one of Tolkiens' most underrated books and much more accessible than The History of Middle-earth.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Despite it being, well, unfinished, I think that UT contains much of Tolkien's best writing. I'm able to jump in and enjoy both the character-oriented stories and the broader mythology. Cirion and Eorl is one of my favorites in the latter category. UT is in my opinion one of Tolkiens' most underrated books and much more accessible than The History of Middle-earth.
That's where Tolkien excels and was unparalleled until G.R.R Martin started writing his series. Tolkien was a master world builder and created a history as rich in detail as our own. A history I love immersing myself in.

IMAX posters.

martin-freeman-the-hobbit-bilbo-poster.jpg
ian-mckellen-gandalf-the-hobbit-poster.jpg
thorin-hobbit-poster.jpg

http://www.flicksandbits.com/2012/1...-highlight-bilbo-gandalf-gollum-thorin/34673/

t-ramp

Although I'm not personally excited for The Hobbit to a great degree, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how it is received by the public and what widespread impressions of the technical advancements are. The trailers have me slightly concerned, but I'll probably go see it opening weekend, if not on the 14th.

Also gotta figure out when and how I'm going to rewatch LotR in preparation...

Edmond Dantès;44843360 said:
Ending the film after the Grey Havens parting would have made sense, though not strictly in keeping with Tolkien's end.

And I wonder how different the trilogy would be if Arwen was omitted in the same manner as is in the novel by Tolkien. It would have freed up a lot of runtime. Time that could have been used to introduce and develop the likes of Prince Imrahil and the Swan Knights, the Rangers of the North and Elrond's sons. Therefore the Battle of the Pelennor Fields could have been done properly without the contrivance of the Army of the Dead.

Erkenbrand could have been used to good effect as well in The Two Towers and therefore Eomer could have fought alongside Aragorn in the Battle of Helm's Deep.

I think only the Rangers of the North and possibly Elrond's sons would have been needed to fix the Battle in RotK. They could have been enough to tip the scales in their favor instead of suddenly and effortlessly steamrolling the enemy with the Army of the Dead.

Yeah, it theoretically should. But I also think many people's problems with 3D are mostly crappy presentation on the theater's part. I used to only go to the AMC near me and I hated 3D movies as I thought they were dim, the color was washed out and it blurred the image. The only 3D I enjoyed was Avatar because I saw it at the Minnesota Zoo IMAX instead of the AMC, and chalked it up to the IMAX.

Then I saw Transformers 3 at the Showplace Icon near me and it completely changed my mind. The movie sucked of course but the 3D was amazing, the image was bright and crystal clear, no washed out colors, no headache, it was amazingly perfect. Every 3D movie I've seen since has been there and it's been absolutely perfect, whether it's post production 3D (Lion King 3D) or shot in 3D (Life of Pi).

After the curtain broke during our showing of The Hunger Games at the AMC and it hung a good two feet into the image, I walked out, got my money back and haven't returned to that theater. So again, I really, truly believe many people's problems with 3D are crappy presentation on the theaters' part more often than it is problems inherent to the technology itself.

I think the key is not necessarily the framerate but also the being natively shot in 3D, as the ocular separation is a bit more accurate and the objects on screen have "volume" (unlike the cardboard cutout post-converted 3D garbage).

Ultimately, however, the problem with non-volumetric 3D that will always remain with the tech we have today is focus. Like regular cameras, the focus of 3D is fixed relative to the observer. This isn't a problem with 2D film making since the eye perceives no physical difference in distance between all objects on the screen and focuses on the entire image as a whole, and depth is inferred through simple visual cues. In 3D, however, the brain may see something as being "physically" close or far in 3D on the film because of the differences in distances of different objects relative to each other, but if the camera is focused elsewhere the eye strains to focus on said area of interest to no avail since the focus of the film remains fixed regardless.

xenist

Don't do this, guys. The movie isn't even out yet and yet you're almost already coming off as apologists/zealous defenders.

Let's wait and see the movie before jumping to conclusions about what the criticisms will be and their validity.

Nah. I'm just a man who's seen this play out a lot of times.

If they're great I'll piss my pants with joy. If they're bad I'll walk out of the theater and forget about them in five minutes. I have about a thousand more important things than some movies going on in my life.

That was his best change made from the books. Worst is a bit harder to decide, but I really loathe the stupid, goofy "Aragorn is dead!" invention from TTT, so I'll nominate that. Also totally botched the Army of the Dead in ROTK.

It's been ages since I watched the trilogy and I'm waiting until I finish up the books before I watch the extended cuts in anticipation of the Hobbit but I feel that Faramir and Frodo meeting him was butchered in the films.

Ixion

Wait....I've read The Hobbit (only once, like 8 years ago)....what is the link between those 2 characters?

Tauriel is an original character created for this movie. She wasn't in the book.

But they'll be related in this movie because Legolas is the prince of the Mirkwood elves and Tauriel is a warrior of Mirkwood elves.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Wait....I've read The Hobbit (only once, like 8 years ago)....what is the link between those 2 characters?
They're both Mirkwood Elves and will most probably fight as a duo of sorts.

She has a different love interest in the trilogy supposedly.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;44844865 said:
The omission of the Barrow-wights is the one that really gets to me. One of the best parts of The Fellowship of the Ring and Tom could still have been omitted.

I love Fog in the Barrow Downs, and was reminded of its awesomeness when I did my Fellowship reread over the summer. It really is Tolkien at his absolute best.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
In celebration of the premier tonight i am going to mass rewatch all of the vlogs, a tasty 2 hours of footage i believe.

Edmond Dantès;44846331 said:
Indeed. Gandalf isn't the only one to have slayed a Balrog.

Do you perhaps know Tolkien's reasoning for not having Glorfindel in the Fellowship, and replacing him with Legolas? It seems bizarre that such a powerful Elf would not form part of the group seeing as how crucial their task was, especially given how he helps out against the Ringwraiths and his past heroic deeds.

There's this:

Gandalf said:
"I think, Elrond, that in this matter it would be well to trust rather to their friendship than to great wisdom. Even if you chose for us an elf-lord, such as Glorfindel, he could not storm the Dark Tower, nor open the road to the Fire by the power that is in him."

...but he still would have been a massive help. I mean, it's not like you needed 9 people. Always room for one more.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Do you perhaps know Tolkien's reasoning for not having Glorfindel in the Fellowship, and replacing him with Legolas? It seems bizarre that such a powerful Elf would not form part of the group seeing as how crucial their task was, especially given how he helps out against the Ringwraiths and his past heroic deeds.

There's this:

...but he still would have been a massive help. I mean, it's not like you needed 9 people. Always room for one more.
Glorfindel was needed elsewhere basically. There were other skirmishes happening during that time period and his might was better suited in those situations.

Personally thought the "my friends you bow to no one" scene was a little phoned in in ROTK, as in when they were bowing i knew exactly what he was gonna say... Still a great scene mind you but this lessened the impact quite a bit for me.

Boromir's death the first time in the cinema was nearly tear inducing (man tears mind you).

Can't wait for the Hobbit and hopefully it will have similarly great evocative scenes!

Dammit Solo, why you gotta make this hard for us. I really want to be bros, but then you go and put RotK on the same level as TTT and YA BROKE MY HEART.

RotK shits all over TTT and outside of the flawed ghost army bullshit is fantastic. FotR is my easy favourite, but Return of the King has plenty of moments just as poignant as any of those in FotR. The problem is that they're not as organically woven together.

But I'll be damned if I'm going to let you try and overlook moments like:

- The lighting of the beacons
- Theoden's charge with the Rohirrim
- Gandalf's 'Far Green Country'
- Sam's 'I can carry you' moment
- 'Aragorn's coronation/You Bow to No One'
- Frodo's melancholy 'How do you go back to the threads of an old life?' scene
- Grey Havens

TTT is the one I feel myself having to slog through. FotR is my clear favourite and I agree that the breaking of the fellowship is the best scene in the trilogy, but RotK is ridiculously rewarding in the emotion payoff department and features just as many poignant and powerful moments as FotR. It's just a little more clumsy about getting to them.

imtehman

Banned
So with the Hobbit coming out soon, i decided to revisit middle-earth and watched the extended trilogy again.

AND DAMN i wished the scene between faramir and boromir was included in the original cut. Would of made my love for Boromir that much more deep when i first saw TTT

Dammit Solo, why you gotta make this hard for us. I really want to be bros, but then you go and put RotK on the same level as TTT and YA BROKE MY HEART.

RotK shits all over TTT and outside of the flawed ghost army bullshit is fantastic. FotR is my easy favourite, but Return of the King has plenty of moments just as poignant as any of those in FotR. The problem is that they're not as organically woven together.

But I'll be damned if I'm going to let you try and overlook moments like:

- The lighting of the beacons
- Theoden's charge with the Rohirrim
- Gandalf's 'Far Green Country'
- Sam's 'I can carry you' moment
- 'Aragorn's coronation/You Bow to No One'
- Frodo's melancholy 'How do you go back to the threads of an old life?' scene
- Grey Havens

TTT is the one I feel myself having to slog through. FotR is my clear favourite and I agree that the breaking of the fellowship is the best scene in the trilogy, but RotK is ridiculously rewarding in the emotion payoff department and features just as many poignant and powerful moments as FotR. It's just a little more clumsy about getting to them.

I agree here, TTT is the weakest in the trilogy.

Some more reactions from last night's premiere.

From Kylie Klein's twitter ('Writer of words, blogger of pop culture, producer of films')

Neil Matthews ‏@nelly_matt

@KokoKabana is it on a par or better than LOTR?

Kylie Klein Kylie Klein ‏@KokoKabana

@nelly_matt tone is, naturally, different; lighter in some respects, but on a par. If you loved LOTR you will love this.

Andrew Cummins ‏@Vodkaninja

@KokoKabana Did you see Hobbit in the high frame rate? Was it trouser burstingly fabulous??

@Vodkaninja I did. It's a very different experience of film. My trousers are still intact though. ;)

Dan Schumacher ‏@shoemer

@KokoKabana do we see
dol guldur
in full glory? its what i'm looking forward the most

@shoemer OH MY GOD. YES. YES. YES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom