• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was that John Key signing autographs? lol

He loves it, he's so approachable. One time I met him he seemed more happy to see me than the other way around.

A8w1i-UCQAA_mz_.jpg

jambo

New trailer or is this old?

EDIT: The amount of talent up on stage by the end of Jackson's introductions is mind-blowing!

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So...I haven't seen C.S. Lewis' name on any of the trailers. I could have missed it, but if not then is that because the estate doesn't like the movies?

I mean, everyone knows that Lewis made the books but I still expected to see his name in the trailers.

Shrennin

Lol I meant Tolkien. I was thinking about Narnia for some reason haha

I guess that's why I haven't seen C.S. Lewis' name on the trailers >_>

Anyway, so why isn't Tolkien's name on the trailers? Is that because the estate doesn't like the movies? That was my intended question until that goof up.

border

How many theatres are showing the movie in 48FPS? How many are showing it in 2D 48FPS?

My local Cinemark/Tinseltown theatre has 48FPS 3D screenings, but it's only one of 5 Cinemark theatres in the entire state showing the film in that format. Should I feel lucky?

Chuckie

So...I haven't seen C.S. Lewis' name on any of the trailers. I could have missed it, but if not then is that because the estate doesn't like the movies?

I mean, everyone knows that Lewis made the books but I still expected to see his name in the trailers.

yodano.gif

I don't know if the heirs like or do not like the movies, but I do know they are (or were) sueing the produces over 'questionable' merchandising.
I doubt that's the reason the name Tolkien is lacking in the trailers though. (Is it btw? I only have seen one trailer, I don't want to see too much)

Shrennin

I don't know if the heirs like or do not like the movies, but I do know they are (or were) sueing the produces over 'questionable' merchandising.
I doubt that's the reason the name Tolkien is lacking in the trailers though. (Is it btw? I only have seen one trailer, I don't want to see too much)

I've seen a few trailers and I haven't noticed Tolkien's name. I found it strange, but I don't remember if Tolkien's name was featured in the original LotR trilogy trailers or not. I'm almost 100% positive Christopher Tolkien doesn't like the movies though and I'm pretty sure he's fighting anymore Middle Earth films from being made. Again, not sure if that's the reason Tolkien's name doesn't seem to be featured in the trailers as that was just an assumption on my part.

Monocle

I think they save his credit for the next film, where the Weasley twins fight Aslan inside Smog Mountain.

jambo

PZl9J.gif

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
So the movie has a more "fantasy" look to illustrate that LoTR 1/2/3 are set in the end of the fourth age, where magical things "leave" the world?

Looking at the stills, and how fantasy-ish and CG the backdrops look, I hope we won't fall in SW Prequels territory in terms of shooting.
The events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings both occur during the Third Age, sixty years apart. The Fourth age doesn't begin until after Aragorn is proclaimed as King Elessar Telcontar. The reason for the change in tone is due to the whimsy almost fairy tale nature of The Hobbit.
Lol I meant Tolkien. I was thinking about Narnia for some reason haha

I guess that's why I haven't seen C.S. Lewis' name on the trailers >_>

Anyway, so why isn't Tolkien's name on the trailers? Is that because the estate doesn't like the movies? That was my intended question until that goof up.
Both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings belong to Middle-earth Enterprises a division of the Saul Zaentz Company. Warner Bros have a licensing agreement with Middle-earth Enterprises for the two properties. The Tolkien Estate has no say in how the films are made. WB have chosen to omit Tolkien's name in the titles as they believe that the property can stand alone on its own merits and doesn't need the association with Tolkien's name. New Line did the same with The Lord of the Rings.

My friend posted this on her Facebook:

qAYFI.jpg

Her comment: "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is so amazing - Pete, you've done another top job there! Still can't believe I was lucky enough to see it tonight!"

SO JELLY

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Some quick reactions from twitter. All I've been able to find.

Bryan Singer ‏@BryanSinger

Just saw #Hobbit. Having some serious frame rate envy. Amazing and involving. Loved it! And @ianmckellen118, my friend, you are brilliant!

Jonny Mole ‏@jonnymolenz

Wow, Hobbit was incredible - an epic!

Kylie Klein ‏@KokoKabana

The #Hobbit is everything I could have hoped for. Perfection. TWO MORE FILMS PLEASE. #3SR

Kylie Klein ‏@KokoKabana

Standing ovation for Peter and Fran. #hobbit http://instagr.am/p/SkB96EuXgB/

Bang-It BananaDawg™ ‏@wolf_monkey

So yeah- The Hobbit was pretty intense! :O

Steven Joyce ‏@stevenljoyce

Really enjoyed #Hobbit Unexpected Journey world premiere. Masterful movie. Congrats Sir Peter Jackson et al. Privilege 2 be there #HobbitNZ

Peter Dunne ‏@PeterDunneMP

@Fish_NZH yes, bold and dramatic, and did not seem like three hours

Cory Knights ‏@Ruptunex

Fucking hell, The Hobbit looks stunning on the screen at Embassy and sounds even better

Seeby Woodhouse ‏@seeby

Peter Jackson is a f**ing legend. The hobbit was awesome. Go see it people. Support NZ like Pete does

Hobbit tickets booked! 16 December, Embassy Theatre Wellington, 48fps 3D: The way it was filmed, the way it was meant to be seen, at the place it was meant to be watched :)

I was just looking on iTunes and found the soundtrack, I dunno whether or not anyone has posted it already but the song names give some hints about what goes on in the first movie.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Hobbit tickets booked! 16 December, Embassy Theatre Wellington, 48fps 3D: The way it was filmed, the way it was meant to be seen, at the place it was meant to be watched :)

guh, would love to see it there. LOTR was great there. love that theatre so much.

glad the impressions are sounding positive, can't wait to hear wider 48fps impressions.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
A message from Richard Armitage.
Dear Friends,

So I am sitting in my hotel room from which I can see a very long red carpet and The Embassy Theatre. I am nervous, excited and quite emotional. The day has arrived when we can finally present our work for everyone to hopefully enjoy.

I wanted to say thank you for the continuing support that I receive from everyone who visits Annette's brilliant site, and those others which have popped up over the last few years and months. It means so much to me to have that support. I truly hope you all enjoy The Hobbit, I tried to respect the responsibility that taking on this role presented to me. My fellow cast members are all spectacular in the story and we send out our work to you in the hope that you can take your friends and family to see a great event in the cinema.

I look forward to saying thank you, at the various premieres over the next few weeks.

See you on the Red Carpet.

Much love
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom