• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altazor

ckohler said:
I'm glad they all look unique. Looking back at Fellowship, I was expecting a half-dozen Ghimli clones. The only thing that bothers me is Nori's hair. It's time to du-du-du-du-du-duel!

hahahaha

I like the designs, btw... though my very first impression wasn't a good one. I've warmed up to them.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The whole star shaped hair looks a little wonky, but otherwise the overall designs of them looked fantastic.

I'm kind of glad they've got a little outside our expectations with the look Dwarves, it would've been really dull and difficult to care if everyone looked like this:

Dwarves.jpg

While yes, we think of Dwarves as short, stocky guys with beards, there's no reason why they all need to fit this exact mold in terms of how long the beards are or whatever.

Carcetti

Great picture!

I for one am happy to see we aren't gonna see a party of Gimli clones 1-12. It's a fantasy movie, go wild. Hair and beard are the places where they can do that, since dwarves all have beards, and if they went for the Generic Dwarf Beard we'd have to recognize them by their hats or something.

WyndhamPrice said:
I'm kind of glad they've got a little outside our expectations with the look Dwarves, it would've been really dull and difficult to care if everyone looked like this:

Dwarves.jpg

While yes, we think of Dwarves as short, stocky guys with beards, there's no reason why they all need to fit this exact mold in terms of how long the beards are or whatever.

Will be interesting to see if Gloin looks even a tad like Gloin from FOTR.

I'm dreading who this romance will involve. Its been confirmed to not be Legolas.

agrajag

Banned
Retro said:
To be fair, there are 12 dwarves who are not Thorin that people will have a hard time not getting confused. Bombur is the only other one who's going to stick out because of his weight; the others are all brothers and cousins and wear matching cloaks when they come in pairs.

Making each of them look different is going to be somewhat useful when trying to make it look like Bilbo isn't just surrounded by a shit ton of random dwarves. I admit it's going to be annoying when people say "The Pompadour Dwarf" or "Spiky Dwarf", but at least they won't be saying "Fuckin' Hobbit, I can't tell the dwarves apart."

In The Hobbit, all the dwarves painted their beards in different colors. That doesn't really fit with TLOTR movies/books, but they had red, blue, silver, gold, etc. dwarves that differentiated them. They also wore different color hoods.

Altazor said:
either Bard, Bilbo or Thorin, I'm betting. Ugh.

Or Beorn and a female bear. He was lying when he snuck off and was infact doing it bear-style.

Grimbeorn didn't appear out of nowhere!

More than likely is Bard. He visited the elves and he'd be able to fight at the battle of five armies, where Tauriel will likely be too.

HeySeuss

I hope I don't get attacked for asking this, but why does everybody think this will be a huge blockbuster movie? I've seen people predicting that it will gross over a billion in tickets and I just don't see it. I'm not sure how what will largely be seen as a side story from TLOTR series(assuming people understand the connection) will be so huge outside of the die-hard fans.

agrajag

Banned
I'm calling it now: Balin is going to be female and he will have a romance with Bilbo.

Shick Brithouse said:
I hope I don't get attacked for asking this, but why does everybody think this will be a huge blockbuster movie? I've seen people predicting that it will gross over a billion in tickets and I just don't see it. I'm not sure how what will largely be seen as a side story from TLOTR series(assuming people understand the connection) will be so huge outside of the die-hard fans.

A billion sounds overboard, but it will absolutely, 100% be a huge blockbuster.

Shick Brithouse said:

The Hobbit is more popular that LOTR from what I know. Both adults and children love it.

Across both films I think it will reach 1 billion. I honestly do. 500 million a film isn't too far fetched given just how popular The Hobbit is. It'll also be riding on the success of LOTR.

Return of the King alone made 1.1 billion. Two Towers made over 900 million and Fellowship made 870 million.

Carcetti

either Bard, Bilbo or Thorin, I'm betting. Ugh.

Let's review the facts. There has been confirmation of a new character, a named female elf. Unless they're going for the low comedy, we're not looking at elf with hobbit/dwarf action. They want maximum relatability, so it's probably a human we're looking for. Bard is a badass guy with a longbow, elves love longbows... They used elf/human romance in LoTR. Also, this is a way of expanding Bard who's a total cipher in the book.

Elementary, dear Watson.

Or it could be Beorn. Oh well.

Tobor

Shick Brithouse said:
Are you crazy? The second Gandalf appears in the trailer the crowd will be cheering. It's a guaranteed hit.

Retro

agrajag said:
In The Hobbit, all the dwarves painted their beards in different colors.

I don't remember anything about them actually having painted beards; different colored hair, maybe, but painted beards? I'll have to re-read the dwarf intro chapter, but I don't think that's right.

Retro said:
I don't remember anything about them actually having painted beards; different colored hair, maybe, but painted beards? I'll have to re-read the dwarf intro chapter, but I don't think that's right.

Yeah, I don't remember the painted beards. They had different coloured hoods (some had the same coloured hood) and that was how Bilbo distinguished one from another at a distance initially.

MYE

Loxley said:
Since the image they released was actually a pretty high resolution, I zoomed in a bit so you can see their faces better.

lol awesome

My worries of not being able to tell all the dwarfs apart have been put to rest :D

Shick Brithouse said:

The Hobbit is one of the most popular novels of all time, world wide. The LOTR are some of the most popular/successful films of all time and continue to sell well on DVD/Blu Ray. There is literally no way the film doesn't do well. I agree assuming it will gross a billion might be misguided, but the film is going to be huge...

Those pictures just seem touched up for magazines. I doubt they'll have that Munchkin glow on film

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Retro said:
To be fair, there are 12 dwarves who are not Thorin that people will have a hard time not getting confused. Bombur is the only other one who's going to stick out because of his weight; the others are all brothers and cousins and wear matching cloaks when they come in pairs.

Making each of them look different is going to be somewhat useful when trying to make it look like Bilbo isn't just surrounded by a shit ton of random dwarves. I admit it's going to be annoying when people say "The Pompadour Dwarf" or "Spiky Dwarf", but at least they won't be saying "Fuckin' Hobbit, I can't tell the dwarves apart."
I certainly think Thorin will stand of the crowd, more so than Bombur.

It'll be big because Hobbit 1 will be running off the success of LOTR - which went up in receipts by, what, 200 million, over the course of three movies and capped at over a billion for ROTK? Hobbit 1 will be pushing a billion if it doesn't crack it. Hobbit 1 + 2 will exceed 1 billion of course, that's not even a contest.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Can't wait to see what Peter and co do with the Necromancer; whether they give him a physical presence and how they'll align that with the trilogy, considering Saruman's statement in FOTR about Sauron not been able to take a physical form as of that particular time period in the narrative.

I wonder if he'll have a wraith-like appearance or possibly be possessing the body of dead being, living up to his name as a Necromancer. There's always the Annatar route which Peter's quite fond of (hope not, Sauron lost that ability after Eru destroyed Atalantë).

Edmond Dantès said:
Can't wait to see what Peter and co do with the Necromancer; whether they give him a physical presence and how they'll align that with the trilogy, considering Saruman's statement in FOTR about Sauron not been able to take a physical form as of that particular time period in the narrative.

I wonder if he'll have a wraith-like appearance or possibly be possessing the body of dead being, living up to his name as a Necromancer. There's always the Annatar route which Peter's quite fond of (hope not, Sauron lost that ability after Eru destroyed Atalantë).

Do you mean in the movie when he says that? From what I've read Tolkien never meant for people to take the eye thing literally, Sauron was physically in Barad-dur throughout LOTR but couldn't leave because he wasn't at full strength.

It's an interesting problem because Jackson took that literally to mean that he had no physical form whatsoever.

agrajag

Banned
I think Tolkien was fairly ambiguous in regards to Sauron, which makes it ok for PJ to take interpretations with it. There were several moments in the book where the Eye was written about as a physical manifestation of Sauron. I'd have to refer to Tolkien's letters for a good answer, I'm pretty sure someone asked him about that.

Retro

Edmond Dantès said:
I certainly think Thorin will stand of the crowd, more so than Bombur.

Well, I said the only other dwarf who will stick out. Thorin is better dressed and, as I recall, slightly taller than the others.

agrajag said:
I'll save you guys the trouble:

I dunno that that implies painted... I know "Blue Hair" can refer to someone who's white hair seems to have shades of blue, but I think this is a more modern phrase. Of course, there's a literary tradition of characters with blue hair;

Wikipedia said:
In some works by Homer, characters are said to have dark blue (kyaneos) hair or eyebrows when they are angry or in an emotionally intense state. For example, Odysseus' beard became black blue when he was transformed by Athena upon returning home to confront his wife's suitors. Other Greek gods were also shown as having blue hair. This imagery may stem from Egyptian myth, in which their gods were said to have hair of lapis lazuli. In a similar vein, characters from the Bible, such as Eve, Leah, and Rachel, are often depicted with a "sky-blue" color of hair. Color in ancient Greece and Egypt were also more expressive rather than natural: blue or gold indicated divinity because of its unnatural appearance and association with precious materials. The Fairy with Turquoise Hair is a major character in Pinocchio. She is often titled as the "Child with the Blue Hair" and even has a chapter in The Adventures of Pinocchio devoted to this title. Literary critics have offered varied interpretations of her hair color. It may invoke associations with "the ineffable or infinite," with the Italian sky, or with the Virgin Mary, who is often shown with a blue mantle.

The color blue acquired aristocratic associations in Europe during the second millennium, and this linkage with blue blood was reflected in Charles Perrault's story of Bluebeard. In Maria Tatar's view, the color of his beard suggests otherworldly origins.

Maybe Tolkien just pictured dwarves with oddly colored hair... I don't think that implies painting though.

Hex

Banned
Shick Brithouse said:

I think more people know the Hobbit than knew what Lord of the Rings was thanks to Rankin and Bass.
Not only that, but it is Peter Jackson and he has been smart enough to bring in
Elijah Wood, Sam Astin, Orlando Bloom, and possibly Dominic and Billy
to bookend the story.
The hype machine will be in full force and the die hard fans encompass vast numbers.
Not only that, but anyone who saw any of the Lord of the Rings movies know what a Hobbit is and the word will click immediately even if they never read a book.

Ixion

PhoenixDark said:
The Hobbit is one of the most popular novels of all time, world wide.

Fun Fact: LOTR is the second highest-selling book ever, with over 150 million copies sold. The Hobbit is number three with over 100 million copies sold. (Number one is A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, with over 200 million copies sold.)

So yes, The Hobbit is quite popular. And keep in mind, while PJ is trying to inject more humor, he also said The Hobbit films will be just as epic as the LOTR. There will definitely be hype.

Ixion said:
Fun Fact: LOTR is the second highest-selling book ever, with over 150 million copies sold. The Hobbit is number three with over 100 million copies sold. (Number one is A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, with over 200 million copies sold.)

So yes, The Hobbit is quite popular. And keep in mind, while PJ is trying to inject more humor, he also said The Hobbit films will be just as epic as the LOTR. There will definitely be hype.

Is LOTR sales based on sales of all three books? FOTR, TTT, ROTK, or based on sales of a set of three.

That Hobbit number is massively impressive for a single book.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Galvanise_ said:
Is LOTR sales based on sales of all three books? FOTR, TTT, ROTK, or based on sales of a set of three.

That Hobbit number is massively impressive for a single book.
LOTR is counted as a single-volume.

Edmond Dantès said:
LOTR counted as a single-volume.

Interesting. I wonder how they precisely counted that. I know several people who bought Fellowship of The Ring with the intention to move on to the sequels but found it wasn't for them. I'd imagine retailers would have restocked FOTR more often than the other two tomes.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
A little surprised by the small beards, but loving some of the more exaggerated features that will do much to distinguish the many dwarves from one another. They could have easily made them all generic and similar looking and it just would have been far less interesting. I want each of these dwarves to really feel like complete characters, not just filling out the numbers. Getting really really excited the more we see..

Anyone think that some of the stylized touches we're seeing here might be our first evidence of a different and more light-hearted tone for the new movies (compared to the old trilogy)? Considering that is definitely the case with the books.. although all the extra stuff they're cramming in will probably focus purely on making everything as epic as possible, so who knows.

Either way... hyyyyppppeee

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
MrCheez said:
A little surprised by the small beards, but loving some of the more exaggerated features that will do much to distinguish the many dwarves from one another. They could have easily made them all generic and similar looking and it just would have been far less interesting. I want each of these dwarves to really feel like complete characters, not just filling out the numbers. Getting really really excited the more we see..

Anyone think that some of the stylized touches we're seeing here might be our first evidence of a different and more light-hearted tone for the new movies (compared to the old trilogy)? Considering that is definitely the case with the books.. although all the extra stuff they're cramming in will probably focus purely on making everything as epic as possible, so who knows.

Either way... hyyyyppppeee
There was already semi-confirmation of this in an interview given by Richard Armitage.
We recently sat down with the British actor to talk about his role as dwarf Thorin Oakenshield in the two-part Tolkien epic, and he told us: “There’s going to be quite a lot more humour.

“The book is so focused on the dwarves, so I think it’s a chance for Peter [Jackson] and Fran [Walsh] to really look at that whole race in more detail, their heritage and what they’re like as characters.”

Read more: Richard Armitage talks The Hobbit | TotalFilm.com
http://www.totalfilm.com/news/richard-armitage-talks-the-hobbit

I like these designs a lot better, probably because they're closer to Gimli and look less like plastic action figures. Sweet axes, too.

Maybe we'll be getting a few dwarves every few days for a while! Can't wait for the non-dwarf reveals (Bard, Beorn, Thranduil, etc.)

MrCheez said:

I much prefer these designs. Looking ace. Gloin's axe is the same as Gimli's battle axe.

So, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Thorin, Fili, Kili, Balin and Dwalin to go.

Thorin needs a beard of epic proportions.

Fili and Kili's beards should be blonde if we go by the books and Fili's nose should be long.

Oh, and we need to see Dáin II too, as well as designs for his dwarven army.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It's amazing, the oversize boots give off the look of a small person. There's nothing in the picture to give scale, but they just "look" right.

Very nice. Great costuming and makeup!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Galvanise_ said:
I much prefer these designs. Looking ace. Gloin's axe is the same as Gimli's battle axe.

So, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Thorin, Fili, Kili, Balin and Dwalin to go.

Thorin needs a beard of epic proportions.

Fili and Kili's beards should be blonde if we go by the books and Fili's nose should be long.

Oh, and we need to see Dáin II too, as well as designs for his dwarven army.
Dáin hasn't been cast yet, in fact there's been no mention of the character as of yet. He'll almost certainly will be in the Hobbit films though as Azog has been cast and we all know what Dáin did to him.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I have no problem with the new look of the dwarves considering that the more light hearted and fairy tale nature of the Hobbit compared to LOTR.

Loxley

WyndhamPrice said:
Costume and Makeup Oscars are locked up for 2012 and 2013 already. That looks fantastic!

Easily. My favorite part about these photos is that there was no digital trickery used to make them appear shorter, it's all in the costume and makeup proportions.

WETA = Gods.

Snake

^ My mind hadn't yet processed that we might be getting another two possibly amazing soundtracks a la LOTR.

The 2001-2003 version of me is squealing with nostalgia.

GCX

I have so much admiration for Alan Lee and John Howe. They spent 7 years of their life on the other side of the world from their homes drawing thousands and thousands of sheets of concept art for LOTR from vast landscapes to every little detail.

That fact that they're doing it AGAIN tells something about how much they love it. It must be a total dream job for guys who have spent their whole life drawing official and unofficial Tolkien art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom