• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that there were way more allies on the ships that Aragorn brought. Also, I think it is never explicitly stated that the ghost army killed anyone, they just routed the enemy and left the ships open. All of the people along the coast who had been held in defense from the corsairs followed behind and some manned the ships to go upriver to Minas Tirith with Aragorn (a few thousand) while others followed on foot and arrived a few days after the battle (a few more thousand). There is a more thorough count in the chapter "The Last Debate" iirc.

Yeah there were definitely more allies and more allies in the battle already but I was thinking about how they would change the movie in a way that would not require too many more characters to develop but at the same time make it more in line with the book.

200 extra Aragorns added to the battle could have been enough given how he's represented in the movies. Introduce a major Ranger character in the Fellowship of the ring, bring him back for the battle.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
This is why I keep saying that this needs to be made clear in the OP or something so people don't get fucked over.
I am hoping there is some sort of intro for HFR like THX or something has, as a sort of dummy check.

I know there are people going who think they are going to 48 fps and getting 24 then saying "I couldn't even see a difference!" "Did you see the HFR intro?"

I am hoping there is some sort of intro for HFR like THX or something has, as a sort of dummy check.

I know there are people going who think they are going to 48 fps and getting 24 then saying "I couldn't even see a difference!" "Did you see the HFR intro?"

"Wii U? Isn't that an add-on for the Wii?"

I'm hoping there is an intro before the HFR screenings so the opposite doesn't happen where we have people who had no idea they booked a HFR screening yelling at the projectionist because it looks different.

From the reactions to it we've heard so far, I don't think anybody with eyes will come out saying they didn't see a difference.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
From the reactions to it we've heard so far, I don't think anybody with eyes will come out saying they didn't see a difference.
I am saying people will see 24fps, be misinformed about what they saw, and say there was no difference.

Edit: basically I am anticipating some significant segment of people seeng the 24 fps 3D or IMAX 3D and think they saw HFR

Altazor

Here's the Smaug TV Spot I uploaded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V_ZT6NGd2k&list=UUHgCiVjYBHG6-tHjGQ8MsZQ

Hopefully this is the one?

tumblr_m17y66m9tH1qachn7.gif

I am saying people will see 24fps, be misinformed about what they saw, and say there was no difference.

Ah ok, yeah I can see that happening. It's something new and experimental though, so there is bound to be some amount of confusion and lessons will be learned.

Oh man if this movie is awesome the wait for EE and second film is gonna kill me. I guess EE will release just before the next movie like with LOTR. I wonder how it will work with the second and third films.

Big LOTR fan...but the more I see of this, the least hyped I am. It looks like the Star Wars prequels to me. Lots of obvious green screen, weird lighting...bleh. I thought The Hobbit was a fun book but it's far from an epic tale deserving of three 2 1/2 hr films. I'll still see it, and I suppose I should be glad it doesn't seem like Jackson has simply turned The Hobbit into LOTR (the novels couldn't be more different), but I'm still hesitant.

I don't think that's such a bad thing to know. He would have been brought up in the first 20-30min of the movie. I'm trying to think if they ever mentioned him in the LotR movies.

Yeah, I was trying to remember if they mentioned him by name but he was definitely at least alluded to.

I watched the FOTR last night and was surprised how dated the CG looked.

The scenes in Bag End with Gandalf and Bilbo in the same shot are not so convincing anymore. Seemed perfect years ago. This was only the second time I watched it on Blu Ray, though.

Also, there is a scene early on where the camera swings around some CG ruins on a hill top while the hobbits and Aragorn walk by. That looked particularly fake.

Also, there is a scene early on where the camera swings around some CG ruins on a hill top while the hobbits and Aragorn walk by. That looked particularly fake.

Yeah that one stands out to me too. Also digital double Legolas in Balin's tomb.

Have to remember it was 11 years ago though.

The CG also took an incredible leap from FOTR to TTT. They would never have been able to pull off Gollum in FOTR, but he was fantastic in TTT. And the Battle at Helm's Deep wouldn't have looked nearly as good either. FOTR was just the practice round for the CG folks.

Only CGI that looks ugly to me is Legolas in Balins tomb and one of the fireworks at Bilbos party. Overall I think it has aged very well for such an old film.

Boy I can't wait for the Lord of the Rings: Special Edition re-release ten years down the road.

Will that be the one where they add a bunch of characters in the background of shots for no apparent reason and make it so Dead Army no longer look like they did in the original movie but are actually now replaced via CGI with a younger looking actor?

Rootbeer

Banned
I wonder if Peter shot any scenes to be recut into LotR at a later date? Can you imagine if they decided to do the whole Tom Bombadil thing after all this time? It's totally something they could do in the next round of shooting. Or they could add some stuff with Radagast & Gandalf... lots of options actually.

I wonder if Peter shot any scenes to be recut into LotR at a later date? Can you imagine if they decided to do the whole Tom Bombadil thing after all this time? It's totally something they could do in the next round of shooting. Or they could add some stuff with Radagast & Gandalf... lots of options actually.

I dunno where they would fit him lol. Redone CGI I could see.

Also the biggest dilemma of our time: to replace Ian with Martin in the prologue or not.

Rootbeer

Banned
I mean the scene in the FOTR where young Bilbo picks up the ring in Gollums cave.
I really love that scene but it would be a very easy choice to replace.

I wonder if, in The Hobbit Pt. 1, Peter will replicate that shot exactly (same angle, same dialog "What's this?", etc.) for the sake of consistency, or if it will be its own thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom