• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stumbled upon some more reactions from a film critic on twitter. Hmmm....

PJ back in his comfort zone. A little overindulgent in the action set pieces Which rang a bit too much like Kong for me.

The Hobbit: Jackson returns to his comfort zone. Retains adventurous / funny tone of the book. Appendices Additions = mixed results

structure wise Fellowship is beat by beat. The almost make the same stops along the journey. But harmless and fun overall.

I think I was Able to spot the One Thing That survived from Guillermo Del Toro's Involvement

This film was finished before it Became a trilogy. I'm more Concerned about the other two.

He mentions he didn't see it in 48fps.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Interesting clarification from BFI IMAX.
Apologies for the long wait and thank you for your feedback regarding The Hobbit. The BFI will be screening the film from a 1570 print at 24 fps. We had hoped to be able to screen both 1570 film at 24 fps and some digital shows at 48 fps. Only 50 IMAX cinemas worldwide are being upgraded to be able to run at 48 fps. This requires a three day upgrade to the IMAX digital systems. Currently, the best image quality and resolution at the BFI in 3D is 1570 film. We are the only cinema in London screening an IMAX 1570 print.

Only Odeon Swiss Cottage are screening the HFR 3D version in London.

Edmond Dantès;44922773 said:
Interesting clarification from BFI IMAX.

Thats interesting. I thought the run time of 166 mins would be too long for a 1570 print? Maybe they are cutting off the credits or something.

Edmond Dantès;44922714 said:
Interesting point about
The Fellowship of the Ring

The appendices were always going to be an issue. The further PJ and co stray from the source material the worse it gets.

I can see why he would be concerned about 2 & 3 if the additional stuff in film 1 was "mixed"....At least mixed is better than poor.

Edmond Dantès;44922951 said:
Or the trailers.

That also means no 9 minute Star Trek into Darkness preview.

Some people on the BFI facebook page seem to be suggesting Odeon is at fault.

Just to say that I won't be renewing my BFI membership this year in small protest over the Odeon/Imax fiasco and the Hobbit HFR Imax 3D print being withheld in preference of their own Cinema in Manchester. The BFI should cancel their concession if the london BFI is going to be treated as second class to Odeons own Imax flagship in Manchester.

border

Is there a listing of the IMAX theatres that will have the Star Trek preview?

I remember getting all excited about the Dark Knight Rises preview, and then it turned out they were only showing it on like a dozen IMAX screens (none of which were remotely near me).

-griffy-

Banned
Is there a listing of the IMAX theatres that will have the Star Trek preview?

I remember getting all excited about the Dark Knight Rises preview, and then it turned out they were only showing it on like a dozen IMAX screens (none of which were remotely near me).

It's only going to be at the IMAX 15/70 locations, projecting real IMAX film, as the point of the preview is to show off IMAX footage similar to The Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises prologues.

This was the list of real IMAX theaters showing Dark Knight Rises. If it's not on this list it's not real IMAX and won't have the 9 minute Star Trek preview.

Here's another list with locations outside North America. You're looking for the theaters labeled 15/70, which denotes 70mm IMAX film.

It's only going to be at the IMAX 15/70 locations, projecting real IMAX film, as the point of the preview is to show off IMAX footage similar to The Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises prologues.

This was the list of real IMAX theaters showing Dark Knight Rises. If it's not on this list it's not real IMAX and won't have the 9 minute Star Trek preview.

Here's another list with locations outside North America. You're looking for the theaters labeled 15/70, which denotes 70mm IMAX film.

Odeon are showing it in digital IMAX cinemas over here.

Are you sure they're showing the 9 minute preview or just the regular trailer? Maybe they're showing it at all IMAX screenings regardless of film or digital, unlike the Dark Knight prologues.

Yeah, Cineworld are too. Hopefully the 14th is a mistake or else I'll miss it :(

Cineworld Cinemas ‏@cineworld

We can now confirm we are showing 9 mins of Star Trek Into Darkness before The Hobbit. IMAX performances from 14th Dec onwards only

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I mean the scene in the FOTR where young Bilbo picks up the ring in Gollums cave.

That actually make sense to me now that I think about it. It's the only scene in the LOTR Trilogy that would make sense to change, everything else Ian Holm is already perfect for.

If Jackson goes down this route, he should also redo Gollum in FOTR. His character model looks totally different from the way he looks the later films and the Hobbit.

James Shaw ‏@jimyshaw

Just saw the crew screening of The Hobbit last night... loved it. :)

48fps on the Hobbit was interesting... Sooo much detail, very different to see.

48fps and 3D on The Hobbit took about 20mins to get used to but then it was awesome. IMO worked better on exterior scenes. :)

Hmmm. That last comment, coming from Cineworld themselves is worrying.

I wonder if everyone who is dying to see the HFR version realize that they could end up hating it...

When are those quotes from? Recent? I heard that the first HFR Hobbit showing they used too many quick cuts and short action scenes to get people used to the speed, the second (longer) showing was apparently a lot better (particularly with real post-production editing and effects). I want to hear experiences from people who've seen the whole final movie that way.

When are those quotes from? Recent? I heard that the first HFR Hobbit showing they used too many quick cuts and short action scenes to get people used to the speed, the second showing was apparently a lot better (particularly with real post-production editing and effects). I want to hear experiences from people who've seen the whole final movie that way.

Those quotes are from today. The consensus from comments of people that have seen the whole film seem to be :
* makes 3D, CG and wide angle shots look much smoother and detailed.
* interior shots don't look as good and peoples motions look too fast (think Benny Hill).
* it takes several minutes to get used to it.

Got to wait until Monday night when the embargo lifts and then we'll get full reviews and opinions.

Yeah, even Peter Jackson said it took him a while to get used to it. But then after a year of working with it, he said it looks natural to him, and other movies now look crappy and the judder is very apparent. A lot like what happened with HD - HD no longer looks amazing, SD looks like crap :) So maybe some people *won't* want to watch The Hobbit in HFR so other movies don't get ruined for them...

Edmond Dantès;44931703 said:
I'd wager that only a few of those are legitimate ratings from people who have actually seen the film.

Hold on, are you insinuating that people on the internet would lie? I refuse to believe that.

Spoke with someone who saw it today and said 48FPS is a mindblowing game-changer. As for the film, he complained about some of the childish nature of it and the length but still said it was good overall.

Do you think it was a risky move by Warner Brothers to present the press screenings in HFR? I mean, if some reviewers don't like how it looks its going to distract them from the film and impact how that feel about the whole thing.

Loxley

I'm curious how many people will go into the Hobbit not knowing the book it's based off if is meant for children and not YA like LotR. The whimsy might catch people off guard who go in expecting a serious fantasy.

Spoke with someone who saw it today and said 48FPS is a mindblowing game-changer. As for the film, he complained about some of the childish nature of it and the length but still said it was good overall.

I'm ok with this. The Hobbit is much more of a lighthearted adventure than LOTR, I know the tone is going to be different.

Kud Dukan

I'm curious how many people will go into the Hobbit not knowing the book it's based off if is meant for children and not YA like LotR. The whimsy might catch people off guard who go in expecting a serious fantasy.

I think it's definitely going to surprise some people, and might turn a few off as well. This one will definitely have the lightest tone of all the Hobbit films.

Was LOTR intended for a YA audience? I never knew that. Especially thinking of the appendices. It seems more...advanced than that, somehow. Or maybe I am underestimating young adults!

traveler

Not Wario
I'm still a bit scared of 48fps but I'll see it in that format as it seems its the way it's meant to be seen. I always liked the lower framerate of film and I even cap some genres of games at 30fps on my machine because I simply prefer how they look in it over 60fps. (Crazy talk, I know)

Was LOTR intended for a YA audience? I never knew that. Especially thinking of the appendices. It seems more...advanced than that, somehow. Or maybe I am underestimating young adults!

We actually read LotR in my children's literature class in college.

Chris Ingersoll ‏@whatpictures
My pure reaction to The Hobbit would seem self serving. So I'll only say, feast your eyes on the awesome movie & the VFX are astounding.

Phil Bartoszewicz ‏@bartoszewicz3d
@whatpictures Did you see it in 48fps?

Chris Ingersoll ‏@whatpictures
@bartoszewicz3d I did. It helps the 3d but its not my favorite rate of playback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom