• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I really love that scene but it would be a very easy choice to replace.

I wonder if, in The Hobbit Pt. 1, Peter will replicate that shot exactly (same angle, same dialog "What's this?", etc.) for the sake of consistency, or if it will be its own thing?
Its own thing.

Just think of it this way; what happened in the FOTR prologue is what people perceive happened via information gathered by the Wise. Their interpretation of what happened or Galadriel's interpretation of what happened considering it was her telling the story. What we see in The Hobbit is what really happened.

That's sort of how Tolkien reconciled the differences between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Bilbo lied to Gandalf about what happened until the truth came out at The Council of Elrond.

Here's my fear: because I'm seeing the midnight showing at an HFR IMAX screening, the theater may have technical issues getting it setup and working. I remember seeing one of the early digital movies on opening night, and the theater had all sorts of problems, but kept the movie playing, and then couldn't restart it once they had figured it all out.

I'm hoping there is an intro before the HFR screenings so the opposite doesn't happen where we have people who had no idea they booked a HFR screening yelling at the projectionist because it looks different.

At least one theater chain is going to be handing out little sheets to everyone explaining HFR (but of course only to people who see HFR screenings). My theater has a person come out before your movie and warn people not to text and to recommend buying popcorn and stuff, I could see them adding a a couple sentences explaining HFR.

Oh, and...TWO WEEKS!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Why Tolkien was a fine modern artist
The film series of JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit is unlikely to come anywhere near matching the author's own visualisation of his imaginary world. We know what director Peter Jackson thinks the landscape of Middle Earth is like, from his previous films of The Lord of the Rings, as well as pre-released images from the first instalment of The Hobbit. Jackson's use of location to make the fantastic seem real is impressive. Yet his images are ponderous compared to the ethereal drawings and paintings in which Tolkien pictured places such as Rivendell and the Shire.

Tolkien imagined his otherworld of hobbits, elves and wizards in pictures, as well as words. The Hobbit was first published in 1937. As he wrote it, in the 30s, he made beguiling pictures and designs that map and depict the landscapes through which Bilbo Baggins was to journey.

Tolkien designed the cover for that first edition of The Hobbit. It immediately promises a rich and strange world within: layers of trees in green, white and purple fold over one another towards stylised mountain peaks and the great disc of the sun. Runes are inscribed along the edges of the design. Runic writing is the script of the elves in Middle Earth – but Tolkien did not invent it. Runes were used by the Vikings to inscribe memorials and spells. The Viking connection is telling, for Tolkien's art has a Scandinavian quality. The dreamlike elegance of The Hobbit's original cover is reminiscent of modern northern European art as well as ancient Viking designs.

One artistic cousin of Tolkien is the Russian early 20th-century painter Nicolas Roerich, who was fascinated by the journeys of the Vikings into medieval Russia. Roerich's pictures of the Vikings share the intense quality of Tolkein's art. Roerich is most famous for designing the revolutionary ballet The Rite of Spring. The affinity between his vision of The Rite of Spring and Tolkien's images of Middle Earth is striking.

Tolkien, in other words, is a fine modern artist. His vision of The Hobbit in his original illustrations is very different from the bog-standard digitised fantasy art of today. Tolkien's Hobbit pictures are subtle, even abstract. A scene called The Trolls that he drew for The Hobbit depicts a curling, fantastical flame rising amid a nocturnal labyrinth of stippled trees. His painting Bilbo Comes to the Huts of the Raft Elves is a misty golden landscape you just want to walk into.

It is this sense of place, of a place so real in his mind that he can map or draw it, that makes Tolkien the greatest of all modern fantasy writers. His beautiful works of art reveal the crystalline eye of his genius.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2012/nov/29/jrr-tolkien-fine-modern-artist

tolkien.jpg

3 days until the trade reviews hit. Couple of new twitter reactions.

Sam Mason - Smith ‏@pavMasonSmith

The Hobbit was honestly a truly amazing film, effects, picture, sound, the lot.

Karen Bender ‏@Benderland47

Heading out of an unexpected adventure! #Weta screening of the Hobbit. Andy Serkis and the Weta team outdid themselves on Gollom! #Hobbit

Cineworld BOLTON ‏@CineworldBolton

Just watched about 20 minutes of 3D 48fps HFR footage (including The Hobbit) trailer. Clearer, sharper and more life like than anything...

...I've ever seen. It takes a bit of getting used to, about 5 minutes should do it. You can actually see what 'higher frame rate' actually..

..means, as at first it appears almost speeded up until you realise what you're actually seeing it a true life like image. Incredible!

@Shawky1969 Yes, I think majority of public won't know about 48fps and will not enjoy it. Too much like TV/Video

Hmmm. That last comment, coming from Cineworld themselves is worrying.

I wonder if everyone who is dying to see the HFR version realize that they could end up hating it...

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
"So long as the Dwarves fight tribe against tribe, so long will they be a little people, a hairy people - greedy, barbarous, and cruel, as you are."

"Truly for some Hobbits nothing is written unless they write it.

El Bilbos is best."

" A thousand Dwarves means a thousand axes, delivered anywhere day or night. It means a thousand hogs. That means a thousand packs of Dwarven swords and a thousand maces. We can cross Middle-earth while Johnny Ork is still turning round, and smash his settlements. And while he's mending them, I'll smash them somewhere else. In thirteen weeks, I can have Middle-earth in chaos."

"What about your Dwarf friends? What about them?
I have no Dwarf friends. I don't want Dwarf friends!
What in Hell do you want, Bilbo?
I told you! I just want my ration of common hobbitry."

F!ReW!Re

Guys, it's been a while since I've read the books (more than 10 years ago) , but seeing the discussion on the last page about the "Oathbreakers" helping Aragorn win the battle for Minas Tirith;
I always had this image in my mind that the "Oathbreakers" were an army of undead warriors (Like a zombie/skeleton army that collapsed when they were released from their oath).

Is my memory so clouded or is that "ghost army" really the way it was described in the books???

Guys, it's been a while since I've read the books (more than 10 years ago) , but seeing the discussion on the last page about the "Oathbreakers" helping Aragorn win the battle for Minas Tirith;
I always had this image in my mind that the "Oathbreakers" were an army of undead warriors (Like a zombie/skeleton army that collapsed when they were released from their oath).

Is my memory so clouded or is that "ghost army" really the way it was described in the books???

Dead Men of Dunharrow. The King they betrayed lived a thousand years before LotR, they have to be ghosts of some sort.

F!ReW!Re

Dead Men of Dunharrow. The King they betrayed lived a thousand years before LotR, they have to be ghosts of some sort.

It looks like my memory was indeed clouded :)
I was just a bit disappointed how they handled it in the film, where this green wave of ghosts killed everything in one swoop. Felt as a bit of a "cheap" solution to end the battle faster...

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

Yes, that's what they were. Spirits bound to Arda (earth) by Eru (god in Tolkien's legendarium) himself until their oaths were fulfilled.

No other being had the power or right to bound human spirits to the world. It was Eru's gift to the race of men to be allowed to leave the confines of the world, whereas Elves and Dwarves were bound to it until the end of the world. Even the Valar and Maiar were bound to Valinor and couldn't leave unless cast out in exceptional circumstances like Melkor's banishment.

sinnergy

Hmmm. That last comment, coming from Cineworld themselves is worrying.

I wonder if everyone who is dying to see the HFR version realize that they could end up hating it...

I don't, they watch series, I bet they won't even see the difference.. movie is movie. Some don't even give a shit if it's DVD or Blu-ray as long as they can watch the story (that's what movies are, stories)

F!ReW!Re

Edmond Dantès;44914683 said:
Yes, that's what they were. Spirits bound to Arda (earth) by Eru (god in Tolkien's legendarium) himself until their oaths were fulfilled.

No other being had the power or right to bound human spirits to the world. It was Eru's gift to the race of men to be allowed to leave the confines of the world, whereas Elves and Dwarves were bound to it until the end of the world. Even the Valar and Maiar were bound to Valinor and couldn't leave unless cast out in exceptional circumstances like Melkor's banishment.

Thanks for the clarification gentlemen!

If we want to talk about changing things from the original trilogy, they should start with this:
Gollum-lord-of-the-rings-31401514-395-315.jpg

That actually make sense to me now that I think about it. It's the only scene in the LOTR Trilogy that would make sense to change, everything else Ian Holm is already perfect for.

I really love that scene but it would be a very easy choice to replace.

Yeah they should change that and polish up the CG. I'd buy it

george_lucas_11.jpg

Well, this is interesting. Remember that NY Daily News early 'review' that likened Radagast to Jar Jar?

Published: Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 1:40 PM
Updated: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 7:47 PM

That line is now gone.

And The Guardian in an article mock the guys reviewing credentials.

It's also notable that the man the News apparently flew all the way to Wellington for the most important premiere this decade does not appear to be the paper's go-to film critic: recent previous articles include pieces on a pop single by the numerous children of "Octomom" Nadya Suleman and one on Jessica Simpson's recent weight loss. Roger Ebert this ain't.

I guess we'll know for sure on Monday when trade reviews hit.

I agree man, I have my HFR tickets booked. I'm still concerned though, the last thing I want to be thinking watching it is "this looks like a BBC 3 HD drama".

This is why the first time I see it will be at 24fps, that way I can concentrate on the film itself, and not trying to determine if I like the new tech.

If this film was another Prometheus level disappointment.....I don't even want to think about it. I'll be selling bottles of salty tears that's for sure.

This is why the first time I see it will be at 24fps, that way I can concentrate on the film itself, and not trying to determine if I like the new tech.

I was going to do the exact same thing up until about a week ago, then two things changed my mind. First, I realized that the thing that benefits most from HFR (apparently) is the CG & wide landscape shots : the most visually impressive moments. If I've already it in 24fps then I'll know what to expect on a second viewing, and those moments aren't going to have the same impact as seeing them for the very first time. Secondly, it's how Peter shot the film and how he wants it to be seen.

Will that be the one where they add a bunch of characters in the background of shots for no apparent reason and make it so Dead Army no longer look like they did in the original movie but are actually now replaced via CGI with a younger looking actor?

Pippin's song in the third movie will be replaced by a CG Pippin performing an extended music and dance number.

I was going to do the exact same thing up until about a week ago, then two things changed my mind. First, I realized that the thing that benefits most from HFR (apparently) is the CG & wide landscape shots : the most visually impressive moments. If I've already it in 24fps then I'll know what to expect on a second viewing, and those moments aren't going to have the same impact as seeing them for the very first time. Secondly, it's how Peter shot the film and how he wants it to be seen.

I see where you're coming from, but it's the opposite case for me, it will prove distracting (like when I saw Avatar in 3D), and I'd rather have those epic vistas book marked in my mind for the second time to watch out for. Classic case of wanting to see before and after with 24fps as my benchmark case.

CGI should easily benefit the most from HFR, in particular animated characters/creatures. Often CGI feels like it has frames missed out to me, making it seem blurred depending on the scene or shot.

t-ramp

If this film was another Prometheus level disappointment.....I don't even want to think about it. I'll be selling bottles of salty tears that's for sure.
I think I might just go with a regular 2D showing first too. There's no way The Hobbit will be as terrible as Prometheus, though.

And my $10 LotR Blu-ray trilogy just shipped! And it is supposed to have movie money for The Hobbit, no less.

And my $10 LotR Blu-ray trilogy just shipped! And it is supposed to have movie money for The Hobbit, no less.

I got in on that Wal-Mart deal too. I may never watch the Blu-rays, since the EEs are superior, but it was hard to pass up on the trilogy for $12 shipped plus taxes when it came with $10 Hobbit movie money. Essentially made the Blu-rays free.

Ixion

Saw this posted on the IMDB boards. Thought it was funny...

So...if you had to choose an “intimate partner” from amongst the races of Middle Earth, which would it be?

Here is my personal ranking, with breakdown and reasoning:

#1 – Hobbit female – Rosie Cotton is my dream woman! Fact is, my current soulmate is very much like her in stature and beauty. Hobbit women are kind, down-to-earth, and can cook! No pretense - just pipeweed, ale, snug hobbit-holes, and making babies. (By “snug hobbit-hole” I mean their dwellings of course)

#2 – Orc/Goblin female – Yes, of course I rank Orc females FAR ABOVE human women. Exotic, spicy...dare I say “ethnic”? I guarantee one of these dark seductresses would be quite ‘unrestrained’ in the bedroom! Not marriage material certainly, but for a night or two in a filthy Bree roominghouse? YES PLEASE!! Don’t give me that “there are no orc females” bullcrap either, Nerds of Arda.

#3 – Elf female (or male!?) – Here’s where it gets weird. Yes, absolutely, I’d swing for a male elf (I am also male), and - I do not think that makes me bisensual. They’re all just so damn PRETTY. Throw me in a bed with any one of these silky-skinned, glowy beings and we’d discover new definitions of pleasure! Figwit!! The whole eternal life thing makes them unfit for long-term relationships though.

#4 – Dwarf female – Smallish like Hobbits, with a love of ale - but without the good looks and mild temperament – and with nasty beards to boot. This would probably be a “one off” scenario just to say I’d done it. Something you could brag to your mates about, perhaps?

#5 – Bear (Beorn-clan changeling) female – C’mon now! We’ve all considered it! And how about this ultimate fantasy – having her “change” mid-coitus for a sensual twist! Again, a “one off” bid..but how fun would this be? Admit it, you’d give it as go!

#6 – Human female – BORRRRRING! Easy “last place” positioning on the chart. Human? Bah! Yecch! Who *HASN’T* had a zillion of these entitled, self-righteous, insecure, vapid she-apes in their bed? So self-absorbed and whiny. TURN OFFFFF!!!! I’d rather have ‘relations’ with the loose-hanging folds of the Goblin King’s chin than a nagging human female. Amirite??

Please let me know your choice, I am compiling the results for an alternative sexuality course I am taking at the local Community College.

Warmest regards,

T. Shatner Principle, Esquire

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/board/flat/207642168

Ixion

Probably the prologue.

EDIT: Two people who saw the premier had this to say about Radagast...

I hadn't even heard about the Radagast deal until tonight when a couple of friends on FB messaged me with the same concerns. I had no idea this was an issue, and came out of the movie very happy with Radagast. Jar Jar was a (bad) digital character with no purpose and next to no intelligence (as I remember it, it has been a LONG time). Radagast is played by a great character actor and has an important role in the progression of the story. And he makes you laugh.

I saw it today, (a crew screening) and Radagast is great! An oddball, but not an annoying character at all.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/board/flat/207606535?p=2

Mike Sunderland ‏@mikejsunderland

Sister saw pre-screening of new #Hobbit film today. "Relax" she says, "it's AMAZING".

Keep an eye on twitter, first US screenings happening today.

Steven Weintraub ‏@colliderfrosty

THE HOBBIT starts to screen for select press this morning on both coasts. Everything is embargoed till Monday night...

Ixion

I need some context about that spoiler.

Thorin and the Dwarves took back Moria in the Battle of Azanulbizar, but could not claim it, because of the Balrog. (Balin then tried to take it back later on, but was killed, as you saw in Fellowship).

Kud Dukan

Thorin and the Dwarves took back Moria in the Battle of Azanulbizar, but could not claim it, because of the Balrog. (Balin then tried to take it back later on, but was killed, as you saw in Fellowship).

Right, thanks. I had completely forgotten about that. That's pretty cool that we'll see that in the film!

kharma45

I'm going to spoiler this just in case but my face lit up when
dem strings from 'Concerning Hobbits'
appeared in
'Old Friends'
in that OST sample.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Erebor seems to be the equivalent of the Gondor theme from LOTR.

Certainly Erebor
in its prime before Smaug

Guess we'll be seeing Erebor in all its glory in the flashbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom