• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jangocube

Banned
Edmond Dantès said:
Score as well, if (of course he will) Howard Shore can produce the goods again.

Is it confirmed that he's doing it again?

These pictures look amazing so far. Haven't read the Hobbit yet, not sure if I'm going to...

Edmond Dantès said:
Dáin hasn't been cast yet, in fact there's been no mention of the character as of yet. He'll almost certainly will be in the Hobbit films though as Azog has been cast and we all know what Dáin did to him.

Hmm. It is odd that we haven't heard about his casting yet. Then again, they are probably filming the Battle of Five Armies stuff right near the end. Everything else (designs etc) need to be in place before they even consider filming that.

MrCheez said:
Oin and Gloin (Gimli's father) via Comingsoon.net! http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=79596

oingloin.jpg

Well so much for the beard complaints! They look freaking fantastic.

Really can't believe they are revealing so much so soon, but damn if it isn't exciting!
Kahless.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Galvanise_ said:
Hmm. It is odd that we haven't heard about his casting yet. Then again, they are probably filming the Battle of Five Armies stuff right near the end. Everything else (designs etc) need to be in place before they even consider filming that.
Yeah, I agree.

There should be more casting announcements coming soon, as there's still a few key roles to be filled apart from Dáin. The like of Bolg, Galion, Tom, Bill and Bert and the Lord of the Eagles (if talking animals are featured).

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Wow. That Production Video feels as though I've time travelled to the future to watch the extras on The Hobbit DVD.

The little glimpses of Bilbo on set are sooo freaking great looking! Ahhh! And as ultra-geeky as it sounds, something about seeing so many familiar faces in the crew and the production teams all back together again makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Zeliard

So, I haven't read The Hobbit since I was like 10. Does Aragorn/Strider make an appearance in it? Can we expect Viggo's awesomeness in either of the two Hobbit movies?

Tobor

Zeliard said:
So, I haven't read The Hobbit since I was like 10. Does Aragorn/Strider make an appearance in it? Can we expect Viggo's awesomeness in either of the two Hobbit movies?

Nope.

Zeliard

I'm not envious at all. NOPE.

god damn you

I thought it was amusing that the tourism in NZ generated from LOTR was so tremendous it caused some kerfuffle that went up to the gov't about The Hobbit possibly not being filmed there.

I went to nz but only did hobbiton for nerdery.

Nz was awesome. Mount hutt skiing was next level.

Amir0x

Banned
i mean it just motivated me to go because i'm such a LOTR geek but really New Zealand is worth visiting, LOTR tourism or not. It's so fucking beautiful. One of the most beautiful natural places I've ever been to.

GhaleonEB

The dwarf designs are nothing like what I imagined all these years - my image was always something more akin to Gimli in the LotR films - but I don't object. They're more stylized and individualized, which is critical in a film where so many dwarves could blur together.

The older pair looks pretty badass.

Amir0x said:
i mean it just motivated me to go because i'm such a LOTR geek but really New Zealand is worth visiting, LOTR tourism or not. It's so fucking beautiful. One of the most beautiful natural places I've ever been to.
This. And for the love of god go to fiord land. Milford Sound <3

Zeliard

Amir0x said:

Absolutely, I've always wanted to go. And I'm not at all mocking the LOTR attachment to New Zealand if that's how it seems. It was gorgeously depicted in the films, which probably wasn't too difficult to accomplish, and it's all too easy to see why someone would get a deep urge to go venture there. Visiting the various natural locations they used in the films must be a real treat, on top of just being in a place that beautiful.

And to be there during the Return of the King premiere? You can just fuck right off. :p

RyanDG

Zeliard said:
Pewp. Coulda sworn I read something about him possibly appearing in the second film. I think it actually came from him too. Oh, that Viggo.

The original plan was for the second film to help bridge the gap to the LotR, but they scrapped that plan. In that plan, Aragorn was going to be making an apperance.

Zeliard

RyanDG said:
The original plan was for the second film to help bridge the gap to the LotR, but they scrapped that plan. In that plan, Aragorn was going to be making an apperance.

I thought they were going to bridge them only at the very end of The Hobbit part two, though not necessarily have anything too overt. Is that not happening anymore?

I still think it would have been fascinating to see what Guillermo Del Toro would have done, especially visually. As I recall he wanted to sort of make the first Hobbit movie in his own vision and then use the second film to veer much more towards Peter Jackson's style, to bridge it more cleanly with Jackson's trilogy. That would have been cool to see.

Obviously, you're not exactly going to go wrong with Peter Jackson, but Del Toro was just such an intriguing choice to direct.

Altazor

AAAHHHHH

can't wait for this movie, dammit. I loved the production video #2, the little snippets of the film present there, the location-scouting, etc. I love being "back" on Middle-Earth.

Platy

Want to see Gloin's wife .... can't wait for those "dat beard" comments xD

Norante said:
Peter Jackson is turning into a hobbit again. :D

Also
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z72/Norante/Screenshot2011-07-08at94357PM.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Bilbo being crouched and his hands visible makes he looks like a muppet

agrajag

Banned
Retro said:
Well, I said the only other dwarf who will stick out. Thorin is better dressed and, as I recall, slightly taller than the others.

I dunno that that implies painted... I know "Blue Hair" can refer to someone who's white hair seems to have shades of blue, but I think this is a more modern phrase. Of course, there's a literary tradition of characters with blue hair;

Maybe Tolkien just pictured dwarves with oddly colored hair... I don't think that implies painting though.

That was just one example, there are more dwarves described having yellow hair, etc.

Platy said:
Want to see Gloin's wife .... can't wait for those "dat beard" comments xD

Bilbo being crouched and his hands visible makes he looks like a muppet
I ain't crouched man. Thats from too much sex in one day.
I had sex in new Zealand in the bottom of a hotel during a full moon. It ain't that great.

GCX

I looooove how much effort Jackson and co. put on these production videos. They did the same with King Kong and it was awesome (I think they were even released them on dvd afterwards).

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
GCX said:
I looooove how much effort Jackson and co. put on these production videos. They did the same with King Kong and it was awesome (I think they were even released them on dvd afterwards).
These will certainly be released on the eventual extended editions.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
honestly, i think the dwarves look goofy. don't like it. hopefully they'll pull it off in the movies better than it does in these early promo shots.

Scrow said:
honestly, i think the dwarves look goofy. don't like it. hopefully they'll pull it off in the movies better than it does in these early promo shots.

well look at the background. In motion they'll look awesome. I hate promo shots for characters because it looks like they took them at Wal Mart.

And also Gloin clearly looks like Gimli's dad there.

NICKNACC

Banned
i LOVED THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING. i think i watched it every day for the first week when it came out on dvd. just a magical movie. with that said, i thought gimli was badass in fotr and stupid comic relief in the others. ugh. and now we have a movie with like 50 dwarves as main characters. i dont think jackson will have them all as relief. hopefully none honestly. (i think the comic relief was badly done from fotr on....)

i havent read the book in a looong time. is the story mainly about the dwarves. i hope it will be done right if it is. i dont want to watch 6 hours of people walking awkard and fat.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
NICKNACC said:
i LOVED THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING. i think i watched it every day for the first week when it came out on dvd. just a magical movie. with that said, i thought gimli was badass in fotr and stupid comic relief in the others. ugh. and now we have a movie with like 50 dwarves as main characters. i dont think jackson will have them all as relief. hopefully none honestly. (i think the comic relief was badly done from fotr on....)

i havent read the book in a looong time. is the story mainly about the dwarves. i hope it will be done right if it is. i dont want to watch 6 hours of people walking awkard and fat.
The dwarves are extremely important to the story, but the real star is obviously Bilbo. His development as a character throughout the narrative from a non-adventurous hobbit to an out-and-out hero who really comes into his own and ends up being the real leader of the party, ahead of even Thorin. The Tookish side of him really comes to the fore, and supersedes the Baggins side.. for a while at least. ;)

agrajag

Banned
Scrow said:

I thought Gimli looked goofy too. I'm not digging the munchkin/over-sized clothes look.

agrajag said:
That was just one example, there are more dwarves described having yellow hair, etc.

In English literature, people have been described has having Yellow and Blue hair for years and years. Blue = Grey and Yellow = Blonde.

There is even a hair dye for older people called 'Blue Rinse'.

agrajag

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
In English literature, people have been described has having Yellow and Blue hair for years and years. Blue = Grey and Yellow = Blonde.

There is even a hair dye for older people called 'Blue Rinse'.

I did not know that. See, I originally read a translation of The Hobbit in another language, and they translated those words literally.

agrajag said:
I did not know that. See, I originally read a translation of The Hobbit in another language, and they translated those words literally.

I see. Its yet another quirk of the British. We are weird.

They are expressed as colours in the English translations too, but we are more likely to know of the yellows and blues as other countries. Red is also commonly used in place of ginger too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom