• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, are Alan Lee and John Howe working on this? I vaguely remember hearing something, but I have long since forgotten.

I went in search of the Entwives and the knowledge vacated even the deepest recesses of my mind.

Galvanise_ said:
Oh yeah, are Alan Lee and John Howe working on this? I vaguely remember hearing something, but I have long since forgotten.

I went in search of the Entwives and the knowledge vacated even the deepest recesses of my mind.

Yes. The design team is exactly the same as it was in LOTR.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Buckethead said:
Is Brendan Gleeson in this movie?

Why not?
The dwarve roles will be very physically demanding and the likes of Brendan Gleeson, Brian Cox and Brian Blessed who have all been touted as potential dwarves wouldn't really be suitable considering their respective ages.

GCX

I love the story in the LOTR:FOTR appendices where no one in the world couldn't figure out where Alan Lee lives so Jackson had to send him a package and then put someone secretly follow the mailman's car

agrajag

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
I see. Its yet another quirk of the British. We are weird.

They are expressed as colours in the English translations too, but we are more likely to know of the yellows and blues as other countries. Red is also commonly used in place of ginger too.

Red is used to describe natural hair color in American English too, but I've never heard yellow and blue before, which is why I was confused. I'm not a native English speaker anyway.

richiek said:
PJ is gonna have to replace the young Bilbo scene in Fellowship of the Ring with Martin Freeman, because Ian Holm looks way too old.

Bilbo_and_ring.jpg
It'd also give them a good excuse to fix the green tint in FOTR if & when they release a Hobbit/LOTR Extended Edition collection.

nomis

infinityBCRT said:
It'd also give them a good excuse to fix the green tint in FOTR if & when they release a Hobbit/LOTR Extended Edition collection.

2jeb407.gif

The extended blu-ray looks great. Not good, great.

Gvaz

Banned
omnomis said:
2jeb407.gif

The extended blu-ray looks great. Not good, great.
What are you talking about? it looks like shit once you've had something to compare it to.

TT and ROTK look fine though, so I don't get why they did it.

That production video was awesome as usual.

Man, the little bit of music Shore wrote for Sam's "Well, I'm back" moment (and the capper to the trilogy to boot) is pitch perfect.

infinityBCRT said:
infinityBCRT said:
fix the green tint in FOTR
infinityBCRT said:
fix the green tint.
infinityBCRT said:
fix the tint.
infinityBCRT said:
fix tint.
pjbLL.gif

But I like Ian Holm in. They should brighten his hair a little and lessen the wrinkles under his eyes. Good transitory image.

Loxley

I honestly wouldn't be too bothered if they replaced the Holm version of Bilbo finding the ring with the one they made with Freeman for the Hobbit. Partially because, if they want to go for relatively seemless continuity between the two series (which it seems like they definitely do) it would make sense to insert The Hobbit version into Fellowship.

But mostly because, unlike the whole Return of the Jedi Haden Christensen fiasco, Holm is present in a large chunk of the movie after that scene. Replacing him in one five-second scene wouldn't exactly be robbing him of a ton of his screen time. Plus, he's be playing old Bilbo again in The Hobbit anyway.

Then again if they choose to keep the original scene and simply make him look a bit younger digitally or just not touch it up at all, I'd be fine with that too. But I think they'd be justified in replacing the original scene (but keeping it on the disc, of course ;) )

Gvaz

Banned
Buckethead said:
http://i.imgur.com/pjbLL.gif[img]

But I like Ian Holm in. They should brighten his hair a little and lessen the wrinkles under his eyes. Good transitory image.[/quote]
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58126
or
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58228
or this aqua shit
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/59621
or here
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58229

But I digress it looks much better in most closeups, the theatrical bluray was shitty (I own the copy and my dad owns the extended)
Example here
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58593

As you can see it's night and day improvement, but that's just for that specific scene. everything else sees very minor improvements, it's mostly closeups that get the most noticeable improvements.

nomis

Gvaz said:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58126
or
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58228
or this aqua shit
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/59621
or here
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58229

But I digress it looks much better in most closeups, the theatrical bluray was shitty (I own the copy and my dad owns the extended)
Example here
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58593

As you can see it's night and day improvement, but that's just for that specific scene. everything else sees very minor improvements, it's mostly closeups that get the most noticeable improvements.

Out of context, those screenshots like the mountain one look oversaturated. In the context of the film, and not having seen it in years, none of it looked "wrong". And since the image quality itself is so much better than the theatrical blu-ray, I'm now going to take the extended blu-ray as what the movie is meant to look like. All of it was supervised by the powers that be (Jackson), and watching the film beginning to end with "The Tint", I approve.

Monocle

Damn, those costumes look ridiculously good. I'm thrilled beyond words that we're getting another two LOTR films. I've boarded the hype chariot and I can assure you that it is thoroughly rocking my balls.

Both should have yellow (blonde) beards if things stood to the book. That said, they aren't sticking to the cloak/hood colourings anyway.

Still, looking good.

Galvanise_ said:
Both should have yellow (blonde) beards if things stood to the book. That said, they aren't sticking to the cloak/hood colourings anyway.

Still, looking good.
Hard to keep track of that ad mist action-y stuff.

Buckethead said:
Hard to keep track of that ad mist action-y stuff.

They aren't always going to be fighting though. Even though Fili and Kili are by far the most active of the thirteen dwarves, we'll be getting a lot of shots of them on guard duty/exploring caves etc. Its strange to me that Jackson and Co. are changing the looks so drastically from the books.

I mean, they even kept Aragorn's aged dark green cloak in LOTR, even when they could have gotten away with it being black/charcoal.

Genesis Knight said:
Fucking A! Beardless dwarves! TBH the movie needs some 'beautiful' heroes for the common audience to get behind; good business move.

That's what Bard, the new Elf Lady and the rest of the elves are for.

I don't really dig the idea of beautiful dwarves.

Small Beards/no beards will take some getting used to for me.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Disappointed by this one, especially Kili. Great costume design, and I'm all about the idea of giving each Dwarf a distinct and unique personality and as much variety as possible, but we're losing a lot of the flavor of what the race is suppose to be. :/ Re-imagining things like that can work... but he just looks like a human ranger or almost even an elf. And those are both going to be present in the film as well with other characters, so I don't really understand the direction.

Still hyped, and I still know the film is in the right hands.. but this aspect isn't working for me at the moment.

thefro

Galvanise_ said:
They aren't always going to be fighting though. Even though Fili and Kili are by far the most active of the thirteen dwarves, we'll be getting a lot of shots of them on guard duty/exploring caves etc. Its strange to me that Jackson and Co. are changing the looks so drastically from the books.

I mean, they even kept Aragorn's aged dark green cloak in LOTR, even when they could have gotten away with it being black/charcoal.

It's a necessary move for a movie adaption to make them all look different from each other.

thefro said:
It's a necessary move for a movie adaption to make them all look different from each other.

I don't things had to be this drastic to be honest. Sure, make them look different from one another, but you can do that while still having the two blonde ones be blonde.

GreekWolf

Wow, the American Idol dwarves are terribad. I'm disappointed with the revision. The archetype set in the book was perfectly fine, so why the need to cater to teenage girls? Heck, even the Rankin Bass movie was more faithful.

h-1-0237-fili-kili-2.jpg

The rest of the cast looks fantastic. Freeman was absolutely the right choice for Bilbo.

thefro said:
Yeah, from the re-read I did a few weeks ago its hard to keep all of them separate in your imagination. Besides the taller one and the really fat one, they were all distinguished only in terms of the color of their hoods and belts.

I definitely prefer the approach they're taking with the film.

Loxley

I don't remember reading anywhere that Tolkien said all dwarves had to be fuck-ugly cavemen, so in terms of visual distinction for film, I think it's good they're actually showing that not all dwarves look like they sleep with their faces sandwiched between rocks.

Loxley said:
I don't remember reading anywhere that Tolkien said all dwarves had to be fuck-ugly cavemen, so in terms of visual distinction for film, I think it's good they're actually showing that not all dwarves look like they sleep with their faces sandwiched between rocks.

holy shit this actually made me laugh outloud. Bravo! :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Love it all so far except I think they probably took a bit TOO much liberty with the beardless dwarf - that's a bit too much of a departure. And I'm not one to get stuck on these cosmetic issues normally

Amir0x said:
Love it all so far except I think they probably took a bit TOO much liberty with the beardless dwarf - that's a bit too much of a departure. And I'm not one to get stuck on these cosmetic issues normally

He's still stubbly, and those two are the youngest anyway, I'm fine with it. Each new image is just getting me more excited about what the movies are going to look like visually, I am so impressed by how textured and distinctive the design work is so far.

ckohler

Amir0x said:
I felt the same way until I posited that he's a young dwarf and unless dwarves are born with beards, it makes sense younger dwarves don't have them any more than a young man would.

Amir0x

Banned
WyndhamPrice said:
He's still stubbly, and those two are the youngest anyway, I'm fine with it. Each new image is just getting me more excited about what the movies are going to look like visually, I am so impressed by how textured and distinctive the design work is so far.

yeah but, specifically as part of the ethos of Dwarfdom, beards are extremely important - even a sign of status. It's so important the word 'beard' even enters into the lexicon as last names and first names and, more importantly, as the very separation of clans (like Firebeards, Longbeards and such) and is a culturally distinctive indicator that is essentially as important as eyes, ears and nose for dwarves.

You have to respect the heritage a little more in my opinion. That's just too much. Everything else is perfect, and they really did a fantastic job of making each dwarf distinctive without departing too far with that lone exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom