• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogni-XR21

I'll probably get the theatrical versions in 3D and the EE's as a boxset. And even though I'm not that big of a 3D fan, I just happen to have a TV that does 3D, I would probably get the EE's in 3D if they release em this way.

KillerAJD

Just finished reading The Hobbit again. I forgot how amazing Tolkiens works are. I also ended up buying the Silmarilion and Children of Hurin which are gonna be the next books I read after I finish House of Leaves.After I finish those I will finally open up my Hardcover Alan lee illustrated LOTR set . This set is a BEAST and a half. Each book is like a textbook lol

001020_2.jpg

001020_5.jpg

What are your favourite versions of Tolkiens works?

Hey, so that's what the set I have is. I picked mine up from a thrift store for $20, which I thought was a score. I need to batten down the hatches and read them again though. I've been putting it off for far too long.

Anyone here waiting for the extended edition and skipping the various theatrical editions altogether?
I'll do as I did 10 years ago. I'll just rent the theatrical ones to watch the movie once more and the extras and I'll buy the extended editions the following November or whenever they will be released. Primarily for the making-of documentaries which I hope will be as awesome as they were in the LOTR EEs.

e_i

Saw The Hobbit this weekend. Quite good...but
the Necromancer? Really? He isn't in the book. They just shoehorned him into the movie. So now, it's Evilevil Smaung, Evilevil Orc King...but there's other guy whose ass we have to kick...at some point because right now we going after Smaung with the Orc King chasing down our asses. But, we'll kick you, you fucking Necromancer.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I think the reasoning in his number 1 point is sound at least.
The most important reason why Jackson should make The Silmarillion into a film series is what it will do for the book itself. As I’ve noted, a lot of people who love The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit haven’t read The Silmarillion. It’s long and, again, is written more as a history textbook than a novel.

And even people who do read it often don’t enjoy it. They skip the tedious historical passages, jump ahead to the chapter on Beren and Luthien, and never really finish it.

But reading and enjoying The Silmarillion is essential to understanding what Tolkien tried to do with his writing. The Lord of the Rings is the end point of an ages-long struggle between good and evil. Sauron’s deceptive ways, the tension for the elves between saving Middle Earth and leaving forever, and the strengths and weaknesses of humans all have their roots in The Silmarillion.

And The Silmarillion provides insight into many aspects of The Lord of the Rings, making reading it a more rewarding experience. It explains why elves don’t trust humans, why the servants of Sauron are scared by cries of “A Elbereth Gilthoniel,” and why the light of Earendil—captured in Galadriel’s gift to Frodo—is so powerful.

The Lord of the Rings films brought a book series that was popular, but kind of weird for outsiders, directly into the mainstream. A Silmarillion film series could do something similar for a book whose fans are seen as dorky—as I’ve often been told about myself—even by lovers of The Lord of the Rings. I couldn’t imagine a greater tribute to J.R.R. Tolkien than that.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Loxley, this one's for you

cabinetlarge-hobbitbookchronicles2creaturesalrg.jpg

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Chronicles, Creatures & Characters explores the amazing cast of heroes and villains, beasts and beings that populate Middle-earth in the first chapter of Peter Jackson’s film adaptations of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit. Richly illustrated with behind-the-scenes photographs, digital renders and film stills, this comprehensive book goes species by species, character by character, through the film’s huge ensemble of characters and bustling menagerie of creatures, both physical and digital, telling the stories of how each came to be realized for the film.

In first-hand quotes from the actors, make-up artists, digital effects artists, dialect coaches, prosthetics technicians, movement coach and many other crew, the stories of the production unfold, processes are described and insights into characters shared.

As a bonus feature, unique to this book, there is a special fold-out Character Size Chart, which compares all the major creatures and characters of the film, from Radagast’s hedgehog friend to the towering Stone Giants!

Compiled by Weta Workshop designer Daniel Falconer, and featuring a wealth of stunning imagery, this book puts the reader face to face with the Dwarf heroes of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, the dark denizens of Middle-earth, such as Orcs, Goblins, Trolls and Wargs, and of course, the hobbit himself, Bilbo Baggins.
http://www.wetanz.com/chronicles-creatures-and-characters/?affiliate=1834

Loxley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom