• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

I'd make some clever Tolkien quote, but I'm too tired hehe ;)

tolkienportraitpsfinalf.jpg

As I said before, the thread is far from completed yet, which I apologize for. I just wanted to get it up and running after basically having to delay it for so long.

I'll be working on it over the next few days, in the meantime, let the Tolkien-talk begin.

I finally saw this movie for the first time today. I kept putting it off as no one would be available, and then each time things would work out, there just happened to be a huge snowstorm that had to cancel plans (I had to travel from my city to see it). Finally today I got a chance and. . . the HFR version was no longer playing, stopped last week. Graghhh.

Ended up seeing the 24fps version in 3D though. Definitely enjoyed it, probably with the Blu-Ray coming out soon enough, I'll see it again on that. You could really see how blurry things were whenever the camera moved though - I wish I could have experienced the HFR version for that reason.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The Hobbit Blu-rays Officially Announced and Detailed
New Zealand: Home of Middle Earth
Video Blogs
Start of Production
Location Scouting
Shooting Block One
Filming in 3D
Locations Part 1
Locations Part 2
Stone St. Studios Tour
Wrap of Principal Photography
Post-production Overview
Wellington World Premiere

Theatrical Trailers

Dwarves
Letter Opener
Bilbo Contract
Gandalf Wagers
Gollum Paths

Game Trailers

The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle-Earth
Guardians of Middle-Earth
Lego The Lord of the Rings

Standard DVD copy of An Unexpected Journey (2D)
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10413

No TDOS preview.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Deslolation of Smaug preview on March 24th
In addition, Peter Jackson will host a live first look at “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” the second film in The Hobbit Trilogy, on Sunday, March 24th at 3:00PM Eastern/Noon Pacific. Content will be streamed live and an edited version will be archived on the Trilogy's official website. Access to the live event will be limited to holders of an UltraViolet code available by purchasing “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack or 2-Disc Special Edition DVD. Select digital retailers will issue access codes upon purchase of the film. Visit www.thehobbit.com/sneak for more information.

ibtJoMoD9IZumH.png

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The fact that Peter's presenting it means it'll be more than just a throwaway 30 second clip devoid of anything particularly substantial. I don't expect that we'll see Smaug in all his magnificence, but maybe more of Lake-town, Dol Guldur, possibly Beorn and Thranduil's Halls.

netguy503

Edmond Dantès;47353993 said:
Deslolation of Smaug preview on March 24th

ibtJoMoD9IZumH.png

LOL, you know someones going to video capture that whole thing and put it out on the net. Maybe stream it on a site live while it's happening. That's such a cash grab.

And the only extras are video blogs I can watch for free on the internet? Yea, no thanks. I'mm gonna wait for the EE.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Woahhh~ so much info still coming! I would love to see that sneak-peek; good thing I still have a little while till it's released.

Also, I saw others posting some awesome fan art, so I thought I would share a few that I really love, if that's alright!

SHAGGY PONYYY~ <3

And here is the artist! I'm amazed at how well she can capture their likeness with her own style :)
Always lovely to see Tolkien art not from established trio (Nasmith, Howe and Lee).

Loxley

Woahhh~ so much info still coming! I would love to see that sneak-peek; good thing I still have a little while till it's released.

Also, I saw others posting some awesome fan art, so I thought I would share a few that I really love, if that's alright!

SHAGGY PONYYY~ <3

And here is the artist! I'm amazed at how well she can capture their likeness with her own style :)

Absolutely love the style, not to dissimilar from my own as a matter of fact. She definitely managed to capture Armitage's scowl perfectly ;)

Loxley

Most big-budget films shoot all of their extra features in HD these days, so I think it's safe to say that the behind-the-scenes stuff will look great (if the vlogs are anything to go by).

I'm anticipating some sort of "History of The Hobbit" special feature with the EE.

Absolutely love the style, not to dissimilar from my own as a matter of fact. She definitely managed to capture Armitage's scowl perfectly ;)

Excuse me, what?! WHERE CAN I SEE THIS ART, MR LOXLEY. Have I been so blind that I've missed all your art this past... however long I've been lurking around Tolkien/Hobbit threads? In which case, I would be extremely embarrassed :(

Loxley

Excuse me, what?! WHERE CAN I SEE THIS ART, MR LOXLEY. Have I been so blind that I've missed all your art this past... however long I've been lurking around Tolkien/Hobbit threads? In which case, I would be extremely embarrassed :(

You can actually see a little bit of it at the top of this a page; I designed the banner images for the Tolkien thread, and did the sketch of the main man himself in the head banner image. It's a little more realistic than my usual stuff, I tend to lean more towards a stylistic aesthetic. I'm currently working on a website, but I haven't posted a lot of my stuff around here.

I hope they include all this content in the EE version. It was incredibly lame when they left out all the DVD extras from the theatrical versions of LOTR in the EE versions.

Dear filmmakers: you make a great film but I'm not going to buy it twice. Get over yourselves.

You can actually see a little bit of it at the top of this a page; I designed the banner images for the Tolkien thread, and did the sketch of the main man himself in the head banner image. It's a little more realistic than my usual stuff, I tend to lean more towards a stylistic aesthetic. I'm currently working on a website, but I haven't posted a lot of my stuff around here.

ZOMG! You drew that lovely sketch of Tolkien himself?? Awww, I loved it when I saw it, but I had no idea you were the artist! I hope we get to see more :) And I can't wait to see your site when it's finished! :)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
On a serious note regarding the Legendarium. What direction does TolkienGAF think The Saul Zaentz Company will go in with the LOTR/Hobbit properties after The Hobbit trilogy.

Will they end their deal with WB, licence the properties to Disney who may be interested in Middle-earth?

More films using material from the appendices? I've joked about it before but a film dealing with Aragon's origins could be viable, especially with The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen, his earlier battles while riding with Thengel under the assumed name of Thorongil, his journeys with Elladan and Elrohir, meeting Gandalf for the first time and so fourth and the fate of his parents could start the narrative with little Estel settling down in Rivendell.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;47417275 said:
On a serious note regarding the Legendarium. What direction does TolkienGAF think The Saul Zaentz Company will go in with the LOTR/Hobbit properties after The Hobbit trilogy.

Will they end their deal with WB, licence the properties to Disney who may be interested in Middle-earth?

More films using material from the appendices? I've joked about it before but a film dealing with Aragon's origins could be viable, especially with The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen, his earlier battles while riding with Thengel under the assumed name of Thorongil, his journeys with Elladan and Elrohir, meeting Gandalf for the first time and so fourth and the fate of his parents could start the narrative with little Estel settling down in Rivendell.

It wouldn't totally surprise me if they ended their deal with WB, they seem to have had a tenuous relationship over the years. In fact, they could be chomping at the bit to find a deal with someone else simply so they can renegotiate the specifics (like how much input the Tolkien Estate has on future adaptions).

An Aragorn origin story seems like the most likely option in my opinion. Heck they could probably mine at least two films from that.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Music from The Hobbit & The Lord of The Rings

ibdKqmHBShSZN2.jpg

Tracklisting:

1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – Over Hill

2. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – A Thunder Battle

3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – Dreaming of a Bag End

4. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring – The Fellowship

5. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring – The Prophecy

6. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring – Concerning Hobbits

7. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring – The Shadow Of The Past / A Knife In The Dark

8. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring – The Bridge Of Khazad Dum

9. The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers – The Riders Of Rohan

10. The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers – Evenstar

11. The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers – Forth Eorlingas / Isengard Unleashed

12. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King – Hope And Memory / Minas Tirith

13. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King – The White Tree

14. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King – Twilight And Shadow

15. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King – The Fields Of Pelennor

Performed by The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra

Conducted by Evan Jolly and Nic Raine
http://www.silvascreen.com/index.php/2013/01/10/music-from-the-hobbit-the-lord-of-the-rings/

Sibylus

Banned
Edmond Dantès;47538469 said:
Even Tolkien made that mistake sometimes. In fact Dwarves was wrong altogether, but Tolkien still chose that way of spelling it.
Indeed, but at this point it's so ingrained that anyone using the proper term for Tolkien's creations drives me to distraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom