• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Edmond Dantès;47845157 said:
In ten years people will be discussing a new adaptation of The Lords of the Rings.

Beiber as Aragorn

#believe

I think if there ever will be a further adaptation, it will be as a TV series. Looking at the rise of high quality/production values TV since the Sopranos and the Wire to now, it's entirely plausible that they may do it in a decade or two. It will probably be a very different interpretation of the books and set the standard for being the most expensive to shoot at that point in time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Edmond Dantès;47845157 said:
In ten years people will be discussing a new adaptation of The Lords of the Rings.

I don't think we have any up and coming actors who could fill the rolls. I mean I can't see anyone as Aragorn but Viggo at this point. Maybe they'll do an animated movie or something.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;48034146 said:

That...was kind of terrible. I know we're supposed to allow for some suspension of disbelief and be more forgiving when watching fan-trailers for theoretical movies, but man, that really just felt like a montage of shots from bad films (if I never see that awful Lord of the Rings-knockoff Dungeon Siege movie again, it will be too soon). I mean, good on them for at least giving it a shot I suppose, but just throwing in random scenes from various fantasy films from the last six years with little direction or editorial vision does not a good trailer-make.

Then again, maybe I'm over-analyzing this because I recognized way too many of those shots to allow myself to be immersed.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
That...was kind of terrible. I know we're supposed to allow for some suspension of disbelief and be more forgiving when watching fan-trailers for theoretical movies, but man, that really just felt like a montage of shots from bad films (if I never see that awful Lord of the Rings-knockoff Dungeon Siege movie again, it will be too soon). I mean, good on them for at least giving it a shot I suppose, but just throwing in random scenes from various fantasy films from the last six years with little direction or editorial vision does not a good trailer-make.

Then again, maybe I'm over-analyzing this because I recognized way too many of those shots to allow myself to be immersed.
I just lament the fact that I'll probably never be able to post a trailer for a genuine adaptation of The Silmarillion.

Starting this fall, HBO's The Silmarillion.... :(

Emwitus

I really hated the special effects in this movie. Threw me off the experience so many times. Hope it's improved in the second. It's atrocious especially in the ork mines.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;48035193 said:
I just lament the fact that I'll probably never be able to post a trailer for a genuine adaptation of The Silmarillion.

Starting this fall, HBO's The Silmarillion.... :(

Hey man, if humans can send a robot to Mars and make it take a MySpace photo of itself, we can adapt The Silmarillion. It'll happen...eventually :)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The Mexican Blu-ray cover is reminiscent of a certain Howe piece.

http://www.mixup.com/mixup/Product.aspx?sku=7509036516507

john_howe_middle-earth_gandalf%20returns%20to%20bag%20end.jpg

Sigh* the extended edition feels so distant ;-;

For serious, this is gonna be unbearable :( Totally forgot about that part of awesome movie series... the downtime & anticipation, I mean. Exciting, but frustrating! Frigg.

The extras are gonna be off the awesome scale, though, so totally worth every second of the wait <3

In the extended edition I for one, want to hear what Saruman was fucking saying without Cate Blanchett mind-talking over him. Really, that annoyed the hell out of me.

Cheebo

Banned
Edmond Dantès;48228654 said:
As expected. I expect There and Back Again will win a few awards, but certainly not anything like Return of the King.

I doubt it if it has the same mediocre critical reaction the first hobbit film got.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
AUJ's at $980 million. It'll join the billion dollar club in a few weeks I think.

It's certainly made back its initial budget and the marketing blitz and there's still two films to go. WB will be making a tidy profit from Middle-earth. It may inspire them to explore other avenues of Middle-earth to exploit.

Aragorn Begins coming Christmas 2016.

I'll be pissed if there ain't an epic Hobbit trilogy co-op action game in the style of ROTK for next gen consoles. All 13 dwarves playable + Bilbo and Gandalf.

Edmond Dantès;48233010 said:
Smaug should be playable too. I'd go to The Shire with him and wreak havoc.

Smaug campaing is Wii U exclusive. Your gamepad shows a birdseye view of the flying Dragon. Blow into the microphone to breath fire!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Wait is an extended edition confirmed or are you guys just assuming?
Adding to Number45's link, the following scenes are pretty much confirmed:

Bilbo and the shards of Narsil
Child Bilbo, Belladonna Took and Gandalf first coming across Bilbo at a party
More of Elrond's hunting party
More from Erebor, Thorin labouring

The Gandalf Dol Guldur scene will not be featured in the extended cut of AUJ. It's been moved to The Desolation of Smaug.

Dmax3901

Edmond Dantès;48233848 said:
Adding to Number45's link, the following scenes are pretty much confirmed:

Bilbo and the shards of Narsil
Child Bilbo, Belladonna Took and Gandalf first coming across Bilbo at a party
More of Elrond's hunting party
More from Erebor, Thorin labouring

The Gandalf Dol Guldur scene will not be featured in the extended cut of AUJ. It's been moved to The Desolation of Smaug.

Confirmed.

Link.

EDIT: That website is slow, but I like the name so that's the link you're getting. Plenty more around. :)

Holy hell hype. I feel like I did all those years ago.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Holy hell hype. I feel like I did all those years ago.
There's also a special preview of The Desolation of Smaug on 24 March presented by Peter to coincide with the theatrical Blu-ray release. There's also much else to look forward to;

More Vlogs, the full trailer in early Summer, the extended edition sometime in Autumn and The Desolation of Smaug in December.

Not to mention, the continued speculation about Smaug's appearance.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Id give good money for another battle for middle earth game, many battles to choose from in this and the upcoming films, good heroes to use too :[. Alas i fear as profitable as the movies are they are not genre busting, or have that clinching affect on culture that the Lotr films had.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Id give good money for another battle for middle earth game, many battles to choose from in this and the upcoming films, good heroes to use too :[. Alas i fear as profitable as the movies are they are not genre busting, or have that clinching affect on culture that the Lotr films had.
I wouldn't be surprised to see more Tolkien related tie-ins in the near future. Middle-earth is ripe for exploring.

Neither will I surprised with another rejuvenation of the fantasy film genre, especially if Peter does take charge of the Temeraire adaptation and the rights to The Lies of Locke Lamora are used.

Loxley

If you own Medieval II: Total War and it's expansion pack and you haven't checked out the Third Age: Total War mod for it I would highly recommend it. It's a total conversion mod, one of the best I've ever played. It has Good & Evil campaigns, custom skirmishes, as well as a few 'historical' Middle-Earth battles. On top of that, the guys who created the mod made double-sure to include all of Howard Shore's music, so it hits every right note :) They actually even pulled in some audio assets from the Battle for Middle Earth games. Here's a link to it's ModDB page, for the most up-to-date version (3.2).

1352054857401.jpg

10759585.jpg

rangers3.jpg

They had the White Council game a few years ago (open-world Middle-Earth, like Lord of the Rings meets Elder Scrolls). But they cancelled it and decided to release shitty games like War in the North.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They should make a game out of Aragorn's adventures before LotR. It'll have the name recognition and they won't need to make up a story.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
They should make a game out of Aragorn's adventures before LotR. It'll have the name recognition and they won't need to make up a story.
I'd rather see that as a film.

It would include;

The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen
Aragon's early years as Estel in Rivendell
Becoming a Ranger
Battling alongside Thengel under the assumed name of Thorongil
His adventures with Elrond's sons
Meeting Gandalf for the first time

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Edmond Dantès;48262192 said:

It would include;

The Tale of Aragon and Arwen
Becoming a Ranger

I'd be there day one for it as a movie. Just the same if it isn't going to be a movie, make it a game.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;48262192 said:

It would include;

The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen
Becoming a Ranger

See, now this is something that I feel could definitely be explored as an HBO show, the chronicles of a pre-LOTR younger Aragorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom