• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
are we done with Saruman now?
He'll most probably make another appearance during TDOS and a final appearance at the conflict at Dol Guldur (depending on what film that's in), without actively being involved, maybe brooding in the shadows, giving the audience the impression that he's turned to evil. Although, that may undermine his debut in the Fellowship for people watching the films in chronological order for the first time.

Divius

Question: Will there be a 48fps home release?

Did not catch that version in the cinema, still curious what it'll look like.

Loxley

Smart move on the side of Warner Brothers, and makes me happy since these December releases always coincide with my birthday :)

no surprise. that july date was unrealistic from the start.

Exactly my thoughts. I have no idea why they wanted the final film to be a summer release in the middle of all of the other blockbusters to compete for consumer's money. Maybe because WB has no big release during that window or something, but either way it was still a strange time of the year given the franchise history.

Also, December 17th was the release date of RotK, so The Hobbit trilogy will now end 11 years to the date after the LotR trilogy did. Poetry, man.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Man, this is going to be so tempting to buy on blu-ray. I gotta hold out for the extended edition though. I refuse to double dip.

I want a heavily-abridged version, but I doubt that's ever happening, so initial release it is.
The digibook is nice. Too bad it's not 3D.

Exactly my thoughts. I have no idea why they wanted the final film to be a summer release in the middle of all of the other blockbusters to compete for consumer's money.

Also, December 17th was the release date of RotK, so The Hobbit trilogy will now end 11 years to the date after the LotR trilogy did. Poetry, man.

Well that's because following that format didn't do their other big franchise, Harry Potter, any harm. It went on to become the fourth highest grossing film of all time.

It helps build a lot of traction if the penultimate film releases in winter and the last film comes a couple of months later in the summer.

Smart move on the side of Warner Brothers, and makes me happy since these December releases always coincide with my birthday :)

Exactly my thoughts. I have no idea why they wanted the final film to be a summer release in the middle of all of the other blockbusters to compete for consumer's money. Maybe because WB has no big release during that window or something, but either way it was still a strange time of the year given the franchise history.

Hells yes! *December birthday boogie*

I suppose I'm a little surprised (but glad!) at the change of dates, but only slightly; summer did seem like a strange time for a Middle Earth movie to be coming out. So cool that it's being released on the same day as RotK...! Just imagine being a Tolkien fan with THAT birthday, wow.

Good, LOTR is a winter franchise dammit.

Seriously! Summer is more the time for flashy movies with no real substance :\

Blader

I'd bet on that too. I'm sure Nolan possibly having a new film for next summer made it easier to push Hobbit back to December.

dan999

Banned
Just saw this and I honestly don't get the hate. It was much better than both Two Towers and Return of the King. Martin Freeman gave the best performance of any actor in any of the LotR movies and the messenger goblin was just the greatest thing ever.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Seems to me that they're sure the next two films can stand alone in their own right rather than say the final Harry Potter films. Maybe the next two films are also longer than they initially thought they would be.

Whatever the case, it'll be worth the wait.

This does however mean that the Ultimate extended edition boxset won't see the light of the day until 2015.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;48840009 said:
It'll be a three billion dollar franchise at the end of all things.

Look forward to the boxset known as the Tales of the Red Book of Westmarch.

I will go insane with anticipation of WB/New Line actually end up releasing a super-collector's edition with all six films + bonus features that comes in a fancy box designed after the book prop itself.

5575693680a916ea37c0.jpg

We're likely talking a 25+ disc set here, so I fully expect the price to be quite exuberant. Regardless, it will be mine.
..if it ends up existing outside of my imagination, that is.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I will go insane with anticipation of WB/New Line actually end up releasing a super-collector's edition with all six films + bonus features that comes in a fancy box designed after the book prop itself.

5575693680a916ea37c0.jpg

We're likely talking a 25+ disc set here, so I fully expect the price to be quite exuberant. Regardless, it will be mine.

We wants it, we needs it, must have the precious...

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

5575693680a916ea37c0.jpg

It would certainly be a fitting way to package Peter Jackson's Middle-earth films and I almost expect it.

5575693680a916ea37c0.jpg

Holy crap, yes, Yes, YES. YES!! That would be fuckin' phenomenallll <3 Loxley, if you get my hopes up, I swear... :|

Good for it! I'm glad it's made a lot, but to be honest, I would love it whether it hit that mark or not. Even by a long shot.

Gonna have to stay outta the other thread though... really don't wanna see the negativity :\ I just don't understand the appeal of raining on someone else's parade.

Dmax3901

So I was thinking, for people who post in this thread, we instantly knew who Thranduil was when he showed up in this movie, we knew that
that character is Legolas' dad, and that Legolas is set to appear in the 2nd/3rd movies.

But when it comes to the average moviegoer, 1. Would they have any idea who this elf dude riding a stag is? and 2. They would have no reason to expect
Orlando Bloom as Legolas to show up in upcoming movies.

My point being, if Peter and co release the first trailer of Desolation and it has a clip of
Orlando Bloom reprising his role as the blonde, blue-eyed, shield-skateboarding elf,
what will that mean in terms of day 1 ticket sales compared to AUJ?

EDIT: spoilered just in case, forgive me if it's silly.

Despite a lot of the negativity surrounding the first film, I doubt it'd make much of a difference. Plus the toy range has already revealed that he's in it.

If anything Smaug will bring in even more ticket sales, and the editing and length will likely be tightened?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
So I was thinking, for people who post in this thread, we instantly knew who Thranduil was when he showed up in this movie, we knew that
that character is Legolas' dad, and that Legolas is set to appear in the 2nd/3rd movies.

But when it comes to the average moviegoer, 1. Would they have any idea who this elf dude riding a stag is? and 2. They would have no reason to expect

My point being, if Peter and co release the first trailer of Desolation and it has a clip of
Orlando Bloom reprising his role as the blonde, blue-eyed, shield-skateboarding elf,

I actually think it would get more people interested in seeing it, considering his and Gimli's popularity amongst the general public. Plus, the Smaug effect as Dabookerman says.
Despite a lot of the negativity surrounding the first film, I doubt it'd make much of a difference. Plus the toy range has already revealed that he's in it.

If anything Smaug will bring in even more ticket sales, and the editing and length will likely be tightened?
Philippa stated a few months ago that Desolation would of the same length as AUJ, slightly shorter maybe.

Loxley

All they mention in the film about Thranduil is during the prologue, where they say that he was King of the Mirkwood Elves and paid homage to Thrór after the Arkenstone was discovered. But you're right that they made no mention of him Legolas' father.

My assumption is that they'll simply make it clear in the initial trailers that Thranduil and Legolas are related.

mattp

i wish warner would do a limited release of the extended edition in theaters alongside the home blu-ray release so we don't have to wait to see it

Loxley

Wow, another eight pages and this thread will have reached 10,000 posts and will be two years old on the 20th of March o_O. We may soon have to start up a Hobbit Production Thread Part 2 :) Heck, might even be good timing what with the Desolation of Smaug preview just a couple weeks away.

We just need to make sure that Biblio Boggins is well represented.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Wow, another eight pages and this thread will have reached 10,000 posts and will be two years old on the 20th of March o_O. We may soon have to start up a Hobbit Production Thread Part 2 :) Heck, might even be good timing what with the Desolation of Smaug preview just a couple weeks away.

We just need to make sure that Biblio Boggins is well represented.
I like how Kili said Mr Boggins in his introduction, now all we need is Bombur to say the Biblio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom